Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!

Soup du Journey posted:

is it 1995 in here or something? what the heck

Judging by the graphics in the screenshots yeah seems so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm dumb, can someone please explain what "Ruggedness" in the map editor actually does?

I've been making some random maps just for fun, and it see not a lot of difference between stuff like 7 or 97 ruggedness. Sometimes both values give rather rugged maps, sometimes both give huge uniform lumps of land/see.

But if I put in 0 ruggedness, I suddenly get mostly islands, sometimes some of them weird rounded edges, sometimes not.

What the hell is ruggedness even doing?!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

I'm dumb, can someone please explain what "Ruggedness" in the map editor actually does?

I've been making some random maps just for fun, and it see not a lot of difference between stuff like 7 or 97 ruggedness. Sometimes both values give rather rugged maps, sometimes both give huge uniform lumps of land/see.

But if I put in 0 ruggedness, I suddenly get mostly islands, sometimes some of them weird rounded edges, sometimes not.

What the hell is ruggedness even doing?!

Pure speculation, but terrain height? so higher ruggedness means more mountains and low ruggedness means more low-lying terrain?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

Pure speculation, but terrain height? so higher ruggedness means more mountains and low ruggedness means more low-lying terrain?

No, mountains are a different setting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I assume it affects the spawn rate of lumberjacks, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I assume it affects the spawn rate of lumberjacks, etc.

Testing it a bit more, it seems the lower ruggedness is, the rougher and more complicated land shapes you get. The way very low ruggedness sometimes creates provinces with round and ugly looking borders seems just an oddness of the map creator itself.

The only difference I could make out after testing the creator with literally dozens of tiny maps each, seems to be that low ruggedness setting tends to generate maps where the land is torn apart in as many smaller landmasses as possible, while high ruggedness tends to lump the land mostly together.

Confusingly though, the higher the ruggedness, the more natural coastal lines look. It's as if this setting is doing two things simultaneously, instead of just this one thing it tells you about.:shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Byrdman upload your dang god to stupidrobot

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Byrdman upload your dang god to stupidrobot

Byrdman has until this evening to do so.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Libluini posted:

Confusingly though, the higher the ruggedness, the more natural coastal lines look. It's as if this setting is doing two things simultaneously, instead of just this one thing it tells you about.:shrug:

that's the authentic illwinter experience imo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f068lg66hnk2tij/Yomimod_v4.zip?dl=0

Here is an update to Yomi Mod. It gives Yomi back its turmoil rebate their oni leaders had when the faction got more money in Dom 4, and adds a 50 gold rebate to them when End of Culture is up.

Relevant: there is a new game here running it and SILT (Immortal transform not summon mod): http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/427

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f068lg66hnk2tij/Yomimod_v4.zip?dl=0

Here is an update to Yomi Mod. It gives Yomi back its turmoil rebate their oni leaders had when the faction got more money in Dom 4, and adds a 50 gold rebate to them when End of Culture is up.

Relevant: there is a new game here running it and SILT (Immortal transform not summon mod): http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/427

Eh, gently caress it. Ramc just steamrolled me in one of my games, and it looks like I can run two at the same time without much trouble. I'm signing up as Caelum as replacement for my poor dumb LA Agharta-run.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
That game is ready for uploads.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It has now started.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh that's comedy right there.

speaking of, is the clown mod available for d5?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Soup du Journey posted:

oh that's comedy right there.

speaking of, is the clown mod available for d5?

Yep https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842007&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post478845225

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Anyone interested in an EA newbie game? I'm not quite sure how to use the website to host but if someone helps me figure that out I can kick it off!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was wondering when the 5.10 update was going to be done... I entered this morning in Steam to check, and it was still in 5.09.

Well, it seems a few minutes later I looked, they released 5.11!

quote:

A new nation appears, Mekone is a nation of giants that have unfinished business with the Gods. The random map creation has also been improved together with new features for the map editor. There are also new modding commands, some new contents for other nations, battle AI improvements, performance improvements and a whole bunch of bug fixes and minor tweaks.

General

New nation: Mekone
New god epithets
New Hero for EA Ermor
New ritual: Sow Dragon Teeth
New item: Boots of water walking
MA Man recruitment cost tweaks
Attack rear now less reliable
Leper effects only results in one message per province
Battle performance improvement
Huge battles start in slow motion
'x' for super slow motion
Skip turn (n) speeds up more and returns to old playback speed
Raise/lower camera in battle with mouse wheel
Champion's Skull 10 -> 5 death gems
Battle AI slightly more willing to use gems at all
Sun awe more effective during Second Sun and Solar Brilliance
Events cannot occur if affected nation isn't in play
Limit number of units for commanders in events automatically
Fatigue 25 -> 50 for dmg
Took too little damage from communions
Smoother text scaling for income boxes
Too many combat recordings could crash the game
Network clients can change team nbr and pretender/disciple settings
Fix for multimove out of besieged castle
Fix for random gods with 3 in sorcery/element
Fix for communion damage
Fix for battle teleport
Fix for Hunter of Heroes crashing the game
Awe works against trample
Charge bonus is strength limited
Improved message for farstrike spells
Cannot view battlelogs outside combat
Communion fix (Masters casting slave)
Skirmisher trait for Ulm and Mekone
Fix for ranged target prediction
Unholy Weapons now affect pretenders too
Fix for Erytheian princesses and unaging
Fix for Throne of Creation
Shock damage could stun even when no damage was inflicted
Blood slaves started on walls
Fix for host time skew
Stupid units no longer attack themselves
Spellcasters in drawn out single combat will advance eventually
Fix for Mace of Eruption weapon info
Event unrest has a random variation
Chorus communion restricted properly
Prevent events causing negative population
God Vessels unwishable
Network showed disabled nations
Immortal now works when dying from some more unusual circumstances
Higher chance to remove some afflictions when reforming body
Fix for resource computation on multi turn commanders
Ardmon's Soul Trap didn't work
Hall of Fame size didn't wrap around properly
Wait now counts as Defend regarding siege strength
Typos fixed
New events
Stat fixes

Map Related Changes

Can set team start positions in map editor
Can hide flags in map editor
Tweaked filters in map editor
Better island and small sea creation for random maps
Use swapfiles during random map generation (less memory usage)
C'tis doesn't mind starting next to many rivers, others do
Mapeditor: Ctrl-b = load border pic and autocalculate areas
New map command: #teamstart
randommap progress bar improvement

Modding

temporary blood slaves create real blood slaves in battle
event #exactgold didn't work
Fix for modding fly- and explosion particle effects
Armor modding: #magicarmor, #woodenarmor, #ironarmor
Event modding: #req_2monsters, #req_5monsters, #2d3units - #4d3units
Event modding: #cleartag, #claimthrone, #poison, #xp, #kill2d6mon

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

-Sparta inspired nation.
-They don't have sacred units.
-The human units are slaves, but can promote to a different (freed?) unit, with a new ability.

-Lots of units with formation fighter, even 8g slaves.
-Naked Olympic disc throwers in battle, lol.
-New ability, skirmishers:

-Gigantes have magical weapons (but without any special effect)
-Several inquisitors, and most commanders also have taskmaster.
-Their most expensive commander is a 330g cyclops with Master Smith 1, Resource bonus 25, F2A1E2 + ?1.
-There is a hidden (well, it's in the Nation description, but no icon) effect on the slave units, they seem to generate 0.1-0.2 unrest per unit?
-Their dominion is better for pushing enemy dominion by nature.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 21, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They have a single national spell too:

Gigantomachy- Get +2 dominion push and raise the cap on buying capital only troops +1

All of their giant hoplite units have golden spears and armor and really good stats, but are limited to 4/turn.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
But they have insane unrest generation and random unrest events in their forts which means you have to be patrolling your cap at all times or you lose all your gold. Also your giant units kill your human troops randomly in ritualised purges but at least they get XP for it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yep, just found that out.

This would be a very hard nation to play

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Slaan posted:

They have a single national spell too:

Gigantomachy- Get +2 dominion push and raise the cap on buying capital only troops +1

All of their giant hoplite units have golden spears and armor and really good stats, but are limited to 4/turn.

Not only they have that +2 to Dom push with a spell, it seems they have a native +1 to Dom push, given the description.

Though given what Boing is saying, we will have to examine the events to see their impact. t

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone is going to have to research how the unrest thing work in Mekone.

The more human slaves you have, the more unrest suffer you forted provinces?
I think some giant commanders can lower the unrest with their presence, even if they don't have any visible ability for it, because I saw some unrest drops with no associated event.
On late summer, there is an annual ritual that has to be done, the krypteon, if you don't have an Ephor in your forts, you suffer an event with ~+14 unrest. if you have him, you have another event on fall where you can lose ~300 populatin but all unrest is eliminated.

If you think about it, this gameplay mechanic represents a fairly disgusting evil nation, even for Dominions standards. They are giant nazis that purge their nation of non-giants regularly in an ritualized way. But it's also cool because in a way represents religion/ritual/cultural/ethnic issues in a game that usually is played by recruiting pixelmens and throwing them into the blender of battle.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2018

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Turin Turambar posted:

If you think about it, this gameplay mechanic represents a fairly disgusting evil nation, even for Dominions standards. They are giant nazis that purge their nation of non-giants regularly in an ritualized way.

If Illwinter added some flavor text about institutionalized pedarasty, then they'd be right about where the spartans were in real life.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

You can get an assassin commander from the event, apparently with fairly good stats. It says they are giant youth that like to sneak out at night to practice killing helots and other clandestine activities. So anyone that knows anything about Sparta would be able to read between the lines.

Going full scales build works well from testing. The extra income, growth and unrest reduction help a bunch. You need to take earth though, for the reinvig. All of your giants have 7+ encumbrance

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Do they get a shameless Leonidas-expy hero?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone is going to have to research how the unrest thing work in Mekone.

The more human slaves you have, the more unrest suffer you forted provinces?
I think some giant commanders can lower the unrest with their presence, even if they don't have any visible ability for it, because I saw some unrest drops with no associated event.
On late summer, there is an annual ritual that has to be done, the krypteon, if you don't have an Ephor in your forts, you suffer an event with ~+14 unrest. if you have him, you have another event on fall where you can lose ~300 populatin but all unrest is eliminated.

If you think about it, this gameplay mechanic represents a fairly disgusting evil nation, even for Dominions standards. They are giant nazis that purge their nation of non-giants regularly in an ritualized way. But it's also cool because in a way represents religion/ritual/cultural/ethnic issues in a game that usually is played by recruiting pixelmens and throwing them into the blender of battle.

What I'm asking myself now: How long before Illwinter goes back and adds auto-unrest to all nations with slave units? :getin:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Mekone is currently not good. Here is a mod which attempts to improve it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmnrulg0c7wt4v2/Mekmod_v1.zip?dl=0

Here are the features of this mod:

- Geronte mages get +2 base research, Ephoroi get +4

- Helots are available outside of cities, and Neodamodes are available inside them to recruit.

- A new foreign-recruitable Helote Tektone commander that adds 10 resources/commander, but the Kryptoi like to kill them, and if they're in a city without an Ephor in autumn they can cause a bunch of additional unrest and turmoil by arming the helots.

- The faction gets the Sow Dragon's Teeth spell I'm pretty sure they were meant to get but didn't.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Mekone is currently not good. Here is a mod which attempts to improve it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmnrulg0c7wt4v2/Mekmod_v1.zip?dl=0

Here are the features of this mod:

- Geronte mages get +2 base research, Ephoroi get +4

- Helots are available outside of cities, and Neodamodes are available inside them to recruit.

- A new foreign-recruitable Helote Tektone commander that adds 10 resources/commander, but the Kryptoi like to kill them, and if they're in a city without an Ephor in autumn they can cause a bunch of additional unrest and turmoil by arming the helots.

- The faction gets the Sow Dragon's Teeth spell I'm pretty sure they were meant to get but didn't.

Do you have a Dropbox folder for all your mods?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I do not.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Geronte and Ephoroi are unaffected by the unaging bless. It works fine on the cap only sacred mages so I can only assume it's a bug, unless I missed something.

Edit: scratch that. They're just so loving old they're still old aged even with the bless!

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2018

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Mekones feels like it is set up for stealthy pretender and stealthy preacher combo that occurred back in the day.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Disc throwers seem very good at throwing things at the back of my hoplite's heads and promptly running out of ammo and sprinting their unprotected selves into melee immediately after.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After some tests, unrest generation in Mekone forts seems to be a simple random number, between -5 to +20.
It helps a bit the assassins are also 'secret police' with 15 patrol bonus.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Turin Turambar posted:

they're just sparta, man. the real shock of this nation is that the diaper giants don't have their cocks proudly displayed for all to see (awe 1)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Normal Adult Human posted:

they're just sparta, man. the real shock of this nation is that the diaper giants don't have their cocks proudly displayed for all to see (awe 1)

(Female adversaries are immune to the awe effect.)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Gender awe and opposite gender awe seems like the type of thing you'd expect Dominions to already have when you think about it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had a failed seduction-turned-assassination attempt on my Niefel jar in the lmao game. Seduction only works at the same size or lower. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When I saw the Turin Turambar post about this absurd nation I fell half way out of my chair and when I saw the Jbrereton balance mod posted within 2 hours I more than half way died irl