Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

If a reporter asked Trump about diplomatic relations with the African nation of Wakanda, and actually gets a bullshit response, I'd die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwEDgpSWxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

site posted:

Wow it's a completely nondescript picture of Tom Hardy great

Very true but I'm still struggling to think of anyone I'd rather see in the role. I hope he just plays it like his character in Taboo for the laughs.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I just can't wait to hear whatever weird voice he uses for Venom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know what I want from the Venom movie:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

"Peter, you don't trust God when it comes to concrete."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I just can't wait to hear whatever weird voice he uses for Venom.

I still can't believe Spiderman 3 didn't bother. Topher Grace's voice coming out of Venom unaltered is... less than menacing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
iirc they set aside budget already to re-record all Venom lines when test audiences inevitably can't understand Hardy the first time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As neat as it might be to see a character study of Eddie Brock starring someone as good as Hardy, I still can't fathom how they can make Venom work without the Spider-man connection.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

catlord posted:

I still can't believe Spiderman 3 didn't bother. Topher Grace's voice coming out of Venom unaltered is... less than menacing.

I think it's slightly deeper; but it does just sound like Topher Grace with a cold.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Electromax posted:

iirc they set aside budget already to re-record all Venom lines when test audiences inevitably can't understand Hardy the first time

He should just go for "someone doing a bad Sean Connery impression in the apartment above you" again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the setting supposed to work? I assume Sony is still set on having their Spidey Cinematic Universe, but is it launching off Homecoming? Is Homecoming going to be in a position where it's in both the MCU and whatever Sony's doing?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ojjeorago posted:

He should just go for "someone doing a bad Sean Connery impression in the apartment above you" again.
He should go full Bronson with his voice, turns out the Symbiote makes you sound British, who knew?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He should sound like the Skeleton

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

As neat as it might be to see a character study of Eddie Brock starring someone as good as Hardy, I still can't fathom how they can make Venom work without the Spider-man connection.

He’s not Eddie, he’s Flash with Eddie’s name.

So he’s going to be basically Punisher.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Spoiler: It won't, but they'll try to make him a generic anti-hero fighting his own violent impulses ala Lethal Protector or some poo poo. Also afaik they can reference Spider-Man in Venom, they just can't have the Holland version character actually showing up in it. So you could have Hardy being pissed off about the constantly-offscreen Spider-Man or I guess, even recast Pete as someone else and make that work. I mean, it won't work, it'll be bad, but that's what they could do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Electromax posted:

I know test audiences are usually regarded as absolute dipshits who ruin all of what they touch, but remember that preview of DKR with the original bane voice? It was a mix of incomprehensible and inaudible. I have no idea how anyone thought the original version was usable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He’s not Eddie, he’s Flash with Eddie’s name.

So he’s going to be basically Punisher.

My interest went from 2% to -10%.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

He should sound like the Skeleton

Nyaaaaaaaaaah, Spider-Man!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering Flash is literally the only version of Venom worth a poo poo that's Real Weird

Making "Eddie" Venom not-Punisher sounds Real Bad though, but if they went with the version of Venom that was actually, you know, good and revitalized a character into something actually interesting and one of Marvel's better heroes created within the last decade I won't complain

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The name change makes sense. They already did Flash in Homecoming, and even though the movies aren’t really connected they’re not going to just use the same guy in both like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Considering Flash is literally the only version of Venom worth a poo poo that's Real Weird

Eddie Brock might have a largely unfortunate history in the comics, but he'd be an unusual film protagonist. A jaded reporter who used to be obsesed with truth but started lying to himself due to bitterness and lost his drat mind. Meanwhile, Flash Thompson as Venom may have been great, but he's essentially just a soldier. And boy am I tired of action movies starring ex-military.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eddie is maybe too linked with Peter I guess?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie Brock might have a largely unfortunate history in the comics, but he'd be an unusual film protagonist. A jaded reporter who used to be obsesed with truth but started lying to himself due to bitterness and lost his drat mind. Meanwhile, Flash Thompson as Venom may have been great, but he's essentially just a soldier. And boy am I tired of action movies starring ex-military.

He's an ex-soldier who lost his legs and is a former alcoholic that develops an addictive reliance on the Venom suit due to a combination of his being a recovering addict, his hero/inferiority complex, his ability to even temporarily regain the mobility he lost, and an obsessive need to prove himself due to his history of being a domestic abuse victim. Characterizing him as "essentially just a soldier" is reductive at best, especially when you characterize Eddie Brock as somehow way deeper than "reporter who was mad at Peter Parker getting all the scoops".

Like, Eddie is honestly a better Anti-Venom, as stupid as a loving concept as that was, then he ever was as Venom. Him being a guilt-ridden former villain trying to redeem himself via weird religious, totalitarian fixation on symbiotes and poo poo is way more compelling than "real angry reporter".

Like I'm reading old 90's era Spider-Man comics right now and Venom basically always loving sucked before Flash Thompson came around and made him interesting. He's a tryhard edgelord whining about how Peter Parker stole all the good scoops and going on about how "We" are "The Executioner", not even mentioning all the dumbass Symbiote Spawn poo poo he got tied up in.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

He's an ex-soldier who lost his legs and is a former alcoholic that develops an addictive reliance on the Venom suit due to a combination of his being a recovering addict, his hero/inferiority complex, his ability to even temporarily regain the mobility he lost, and an obsessive need to prove himself due to his history of being a domestic abuse victim. Characterizing him as "essentially just a soldier" is reductive at best, especially when you characterize Eddie Brock as somehow way deeper than "reporter who was mad at Peter Parker getting all the scoops".

Like, Eddie is honestly a better Anti-Venom, as stupid as a loving concept as that was, then he ever was as Venom. Him being a guilt-ridden former villain trying to redeem himself via weird religious fixation on symbiotes and poo poo is way more compelling than "real angry reporter".

You're not wrong, but I doubt any of what makes Flash interesting will translate to a solo Venom movie, except maybe losing his legs. He's going to be heroic action man, and at one point the suit will make him go too far but he'll be the good guy again by the end. Eddie being the protagonist would force them to write a movie about someone who's fundamentally a bad, delusional person. And that's at least one point in favor of a solo Venom film, something no one should want.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

You're not wrong, but I doubt any of what makes Flash interesting will translate to a solo Venom movie, except maybe losing his legs. He's going to be heroic action man, and at one point the suit will make him go too far but he'll be the good guy again by the end. Eddie being the protagonist would force them to write a movie about someone who's fundamentally a bad, delusional person. And that's at least one point in favor of a solo Venom film, something no one should want.

Yeah okay I get you then.

Yeah, I guess that would be more compelling. Flash's Venom still really kinda needs (well, doesn't need, but really benefits from) Peter Parker existing, because you need to juxtapose Flash's desires to be heroic and constantly ask the question if he's doing it because he's a fundamentally good person, or if he's doing it because he just transferred his addictions to something else, or if he's doing it out of some sense of guilt to how he acted in high school.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When you start to think that Venom might be evil, more symbiotes will show up to push the goal posts further.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Venom has always seemed to me like a character you had to be there for. I've never really been too interested in him; I knew him from the cartoon but the first comic story I read with him in it was that Howard Mackie Sinister Six one where he was written in a really tedious try-hard way ("We'll crack your skull open and eat your brains!" etc.) so maybe I just had a poor first impression.

(It's too bad in that case as well, because the idea of Venom trying to team up with Spider-Man's other villains, feeling slighted by them and then trying to hunt them down and kill them with Spider-Man stuck between them is potentially a pretty cool idea.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Howard Mackie was a really good idea guy but he couldn't really follow through on any of it. Shame, because his run featured JRJR at what I consider to be his artistic peak.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah Venom is the most 90's character ever, and if you don't follow comics whatsoever you think he's the raddest poo poo ever (Source: Me and my opinions on Venom before I started reading comics). Once you do, he loving sucks, he's every generic 90's antihero mashed into one, his storylines suck, his use of plural first person as his preferred pronoun is loving dumb, his dialog sucks, his character sucks. There's just no there there. He has like literally a cool character design and that's pretty much it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can count the good Eddie Brock stories on one hand but I still really like the character. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Howard Mackie was a really good idea guy but he couldn't really follow through on any of it. Shame, because his run featured JRJR at what I consider to be his artistic peak.

Absolutely, one of the highlights of it is how JRJR draws Venom himself with symbiote tendrils snaking off his suit. Really sells the symbiote itself as a living thing. For example:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If Eddie doesn't use the symbiote to change into a 90s skater kid and ride atop a moving subway train I'm not seeing it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't know what you guys are talking about, and I believe I will enjoy reading my trade paperback of Maximum Carnage just as much as I did as a kid in the 90's. If you can't appreciate the literary genius of characters like Nightwatch and Demogoblin, that's your problem.

The 90's were very much "You had to be there.". I feel ashamed at the visceral thrill I get when I see Venom and Carnage leaping at each other.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got into Spider-Man (like the X-Men) via the animated series, so my image of Spider-Man comics in the 90s is stuff like Solo jumping through a window firing a machine gun in each hand yelling "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

Addendum: I'm looking forward to Solo: A Spider-Man Story in 2019.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Nothing will ever make me care about this Venom movie. All it does it make me think of Steel.

Wait, does the Moratorium of Steel include Steel?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still think Cable is the most 90's thing in comics, but Venom is in the top 5. Venom to me is a lot like Doomsday. You can tell the one story with him, but after that, he should probably go away forever. And the original story might not even be that great if you think about it. See also: Bane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The name change makes sense. They already did Flash in Homecoming, and even though the movies aren’t really connected they’re not going to just use the same guy in both like that.

I'd pay good money to see Hardy refer to Peter as "Penis Parker."

Flash was 100% the best character in Homecoming. Turning him from a physical bully into a rich rear end in a top hat was a masterstroke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know what I want from the Venom movie:

Well they've got Mad Max so this is the best chance for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I still think Cable is the most 90's thing in comics, but Venom is in the top 5. Venom to me is a lot like Doomsday. You can tell the one story with him, but after that, he should probably go away forever. And the original story might not even be that great if you think about it. See also: Bane.

Fun fact: David Michelinie's original plan was for the symbiote to switch hosts every time it came back to torment Peter, which is probably why Eddie's motivations are kind of weak and petty for an arch-nemesis. But then Venom blew the gently caress up in popularity and Erik Larsen and the marketing department hijacked the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'd pay good money to see Hardy refer to Peter as "Penis Parker."

Flash was 100% the best character in Homecoming. Turning him from a physical bully into a rich rear end in a top hat was a masterstroke.

Peter stealing and ruining his (dad's) car in the span of two minutes makes me laugh every time I think of it

• Locked thread