Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The laser grid is not the problem, the barrage is.
I wait for it, after she shoots i go in for some damage, she just shoots again and im done.
I guess i go too close, maybe i need to outsource some damage to totems, warchief or so.

Its funny, in softcore i just dps my way into maps with half that health and half the time i dont even die. Maybe i just overthink it.

The laser barrage does lightning damage, armor is useless against it. She fires 8 bursts and you can be hit by both projectiles per burst, for 681 to 1022 Lightning Damage. Maybe try a topaz flask?

If you're going to yolo hardcore you might want to look up boss statistics and attacks on poedb.tw, your assumption that armor would do anything kinda demonstrates you're doing this under-prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

nightwisher posted:

The laser barrage does lightning damage, armor is useless against it. She fires 8 bursts and you can be hit by both projectiles per burst, for 681 to 1022 Lightning Damage. Maybe try a topaz flask?

If you're going to yolo hardcore you might want to look up boss statistics and attacks on poedb.tw, your assumption that armor would do anything kinda demonstrates you're doing this under-prepared.

GGG hosed up on that one, purple stuff is supposed to be chaos damage

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

GGG hosed up on that one, purple stuff is supposed to be chaos damage

The boss is very obviously lightning themed though, including his Major God pantheon

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

The boss is very obviously lightning themed though, including his Major God pantheon

obviously its lightning, i mean every other spider in the game is poison though and the video shows that most skills are largely physical.

but aside from that, my resists were 72/71/72 with chaos possibly -20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Then I dont really know what to tell you dude. I've never had any problems outhealing the bursts with a seething pot, neither in act 7 or in the t15 map version.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Then I dont really know what to tell you dude. I've never had any problems outhealing the bursts with a seething pot, neither in act 7 or in the t15 map version.

My only explanation is getting shotgunned due to standing too close or something, ill try again tomorrow maybe.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm thinking about starting an RF character but I can't find a guide I like. Anyone have a recommendation?

edit: Finally found this guide, which seems competent finally.

George fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 13, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Arakali has a very distinct animation before she fires her barrage, like she plants her two front feet onto the arena.

And the shot only covers ~45 degrees of angle, so if you see it coming, just sidestep and none of the shots will ever hit you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

unbeatable!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So what are the spell combos people use to make Volatile Dead work? Unearth with multiple projectiles thingies and a totem to cast Volatile Dead?

I kinda want to play with that spell because it looks cool but have no idea how to do it efficiently

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Barring a cast on crit or poet's pen sort of build, I mostly just see people slap spell cascade on desecrate and then either spell echo or cascade VD as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

frajaq posted:

So what are the spell combos people use to make Volatile Dead work? Unearth with multiple projectiles thingies and a totem to cast Volatile Dead?

I kinda want to play with that spell because it looks cool but have no idea how to do it efficiently
Basically that, but with no totems required. Also Cremation for slow enemies and area control (like abysses).

I'm up to T8-9 maps and having a blast with it. I'll link my build when I'm back at my PC.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

If you’re really lazy you can just put both desecrate and vd cast while channeling on scorching ray.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

Also, I found a poet's pen, so I'll probably want to do that on a character after this one, is it worth it to do a build with only one? They go for 30+C, but is that just because they're the new hotness, or are they pretty rare drops?

my necromancer died because I was too slow to notice the lightning + cold wave during brine king because all my summons were in the way.
So I'm asking about poet's pen again. All the builds I've seen use two of them, but seeing as how I'm playing ssf...

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
With the new MTX out; are Pizza Sticks still a thing? Or is it simply outclassed by GC totems/mines?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trogdos! posted:

With the new MTX out; are Pizza Sticks still a thing? Or is it simply outclassed by GC totems/mines?

You can do them but they're pretty outclassed by GC especially, and other spells that convert from phys (or are phys) just because of how many powerful scalars there are on phys right now.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you can get shaper weapons with two phys damage bonuses and then two %of phys added as element bonuses, which is insane. physical damage seems to be king in this patch, unless you're a wander, in which case the rules of mortals don't apply to you

are there any decent explanations of elder and shaper influence out there? trying to figure this stuff out on my own is melting my brain

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Is a wander cheaper than normal this league? I've often been curious to try one, but the cost most of them require always scares me off. I saw ZiggyD running a Piscator's with a pile of abyss jewels for flat damage everywhere which seems like it might be a little cheaper than normal...

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Magus42 posted:

Is a wander cheaper than normal this league? I've often been curious to try one, but the cost most of them require always scares me off. I saw ZiggyD running a Piscator's with a pile of abyss jewels for flat damage everywhere which seems like it might be a little cheaper than normal...

The three bonus projectiles from dying sun (two listed plus one from increased flask effectiveness nodes) means if you can't afford at least that, you miss out on what is essentially equivalent to a 75% more damage modifier.

With abyss jewels you probably don't need as much elemental damage on the wand itself, at least

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

The three bonus projectiles from dying sun (two listed plus one from increased flask effectiveness nodes)

you need a Conqueror's Potency jewel to get 3 proj now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mover posted:

If you’re really lazy you can just put both desecrate and vd cast while channeling on scorching ray.

With the caveat that you also need Spell Cascade, it pretty much triples the damage. But that takes a five link. I made it back to A10 Kitava with this combo, gonna try to beat him tomorrow.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
PSA: don't try Uber Atziri for the first time ever when you're really loving drunk.

Bye bye that 100c. gently caress you trio.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Venuz Patrol posted:

The three bonus projectiles from dying sun (two listed plus one from increased flask effectiveness nodes) means if you can't afford at least that, you miss out on what is essentially equivalent to a 75% more damage modifier.

But is that required to play the build, or just to start shaper farming and such?

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Just had a nice Uber lab on HC, dropping Poet's Pen and Tabula.
Kinda wondering if I should level something with Poet's Pen, or does it always require two? Because if so, I think I'd rather take the ~70c (12%).

nvm sold it :)

Acht fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whypick1 posted:

PSA: don't try Uber Atziri for the first time ever when you're really loving drunk.

Bye bye that 100c. gently caress you trio.

Uber atziri is my least favorite thing in the game

J
Jun 10, 2001

Magus42 posted:

The spendy part of wanders is getting the barrage damage up high enough to kill bosses quick before they hit you or your flasks run out. Dying sun, helm enchant, good rings/amulet, 21/20 gems, a better wand than piscator, etc. But to just kill screens full of trash really quickly as a farming build, all of that stuff isn't necessary. Especially this league with the abundance of flat elemental damage available from jewels. You could get started with a piscator, rat's nest, tabula, esh's mirror, thunderfist, and the rest of the slots could just be decent rares. Grab as many flat elemental jewels as you can. Random opal rings are under 10c this league, whereas in harbinger it was 60c for a white opal ring. You could grab opal rings and throw essence of torments on them if you needed more damage. Odds are though with that core set of equipment I mentioned before, with abyss jewels, kinetic blast should feel pretty great for plowing through maps fast. Just expect to be squishy and potentially have problems with some bosses or particularly tanky rares.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Man I just got a 6l drop. An ilvl 55 wyrmscale. What a waste.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Firos posted:

slam it with greed and use it forever

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Firos posted:

full wyrmscale? you could spam chances on it to get a BOTB?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Good league, got the rare stuff out of the way (except all breachlords because that's too much effort). I'm not going to spend any significant time doing end-game content the next league unless they fix trading.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Mr. Despair posted:

Uber atziri is my least favorite thing in the game

How much harder is uber over the normal version?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Maddot_66 posted:

uber is a whole different ballgame than normal

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Kild posted:

full wyrmscale? you could spam chances on it to get a BOTB?

Just threw 40 chances at it and no dice lol. It was unlikely, but oh well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KoldPT posted:

I'm not going to spend any significant time doing end-game content the next league unless they fix trading.

in what way

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Anyone have a good link that describes exactly what the hell is going on in the story? The part where I get revenge on the evil pope and then get to return to my homeland and get revenge on another evil pope is more or less clear and what I figured the game would be about.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Maddot_66 posted:

Try doing vaal temple with a few damage mods and see if you can kill the bosses there

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Wraeclast had an ancient kingdom called Vaal, that did the whole Corruption for Power thing, and imploded. Except Corruption is called Thaumaturgy in this game. Then all kinds of warmongering idiots like Kaom and Malachai and Voll came over and had wars and messed about with the remaining Thaumaturgy poo poo. Malachai intentionally caused a continent sized Corruptsplosion to get more evil power, and the entire continent was condemned to be a dumping place for exiles. Someone figured out that if you embed the Corruption gems into swords instead of in your flesh, you can get superpowers and not turn into a slavering monster. This is where you step in, you said something stupid in Oriath, like 'evil is bad', and you got exiled on Corruption continent, except now you get superpowers instead of dying as expected. You kill everyone including the mountain sized thing called the Beast. Oh no, turns out the Beast was a thing created by the divine being called Sin, devised to keep all the Old Gods sleeping. Old Gods wake up, and you kill them all.

Then mapping begins, and it's essentially you vs. all the Cthulhus.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
And thaumaturgy exists because the beast siphons the power of gods and all that divine energy seeps in to the mountain it lives in and creates the magical gemstones you slam in to everything. So Wraeclast is pretty much one of those underground nuclear waste storages except for god juice, and that's what sets the main plot in motion.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Count Uvula posted:

And thaumaturgy exists because the beast siphons the power of gods and all that divine energy seeps in to the mountain it lives in and creates the magical gemstones you slam in to everything. So Wraeclast is pretty much one of those underground nuclear waste storages except for god juice, and that's what sets the main plot in motion.

Oh yeah, that's the part that makes it ironic. The Beast was created to keep the Gods from messing with the mortals, but instead it causes the power of the Gods to seep into the hands of the mortals, causing even more misery. And eventually the death of the Gods themselves. Or at least most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
and there's a bit more poo poo about how innocence was the only survivor of the beast's suppression of all the other gods, so being the only game in town he decided to convert his home turf of Oriath into a horrible fascist ethnostate that brutally subjugates neighboring cultures like the karui and plunders their wealth to send to oriath's reliquary. he feels bad about it at the end of the game, so it's okay