Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Saddest Robot posted:

The impression I got during the Kickstarter and which has been reinforced several times is that Chris Roberts adheres to the belief that CPU and GPUs are so powerful now that all technical problems can be tackled with brute force.

It's even better than that. He believes that future hardware generations _will be_ powerful enough for that. He referenced Moores law in the earlier days of the campaign a lot.

Moores law is done at this point. Old man Moore even said so himself in 2007, claiming in 10 years at that point the curve of hardware improvement would flatten. And by 2015 Intel officially dropped Moores law as it's product release guideline.
With the established 14nm production we have 1 maybe 2 iterations left until classic silicon die processors can't be improved by further down scaling anymore due to quantum tunneling effects and the challenges to even get to this process have been increasing exponentially already.

Yet 5 years later Chris sold star citizen on the prophecy that Moore himself canceled half a decade ago.

And the pun at the end?

The performance limitations of star citizen aren't Hardware dependent in the sense of classic Moores law performing improvements even. They are symptoms of an antiquated engine that nowadays is only dragged out of the back shelf to do some fancy machinima and home made animation projects.

Star Citizen in a nutshell

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

PrimeNerd posted:

Stuff about moma

Come on, friend. Find your inner peace and chill. :)

Moma is welcome to his opinion just like you are. Keep it level and and non threatening or insinuating self harm. That’s never cool or nice.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

The performance limitations of star citizen aren't Hardware dependent in the sense of classic Moores law performing improvements even. They are symptoms of an antiquated engine that nowadays is only dragged out of the back shelf to do some fancy machinima and home made animation projects.

I thought they were hosed because networking 1,000 players into a high fidelity, single shard, simulation of a universe is a joke.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The Saddest Robot posted:

The impression I got during the Kickstarter and which has been reinforced several times is that Chris Roberts adheres to the belief that CPU and GPUs are so powerful now that all technical problems can be tackled with brute force.

I have said this before as well. I’m not sure if he thinks like this because that’s how he did it in the 90’s, or if he just refuses to believe video games today can function and be huge not because computers can do everything, but because the smart people building them have employed incredible tricks to get things to do what they do.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Titanic posted:

I have said this before as well. I’m not sure if he thinks like this because that’s how he did it in the 90’s, or if he just refuses to believe video games today can function and be huge not because computers can do everything, but because the smart people building them have employed incredible tricks to get things to do what they do.

the tricks are only because they don't have CR's ambition to solve every problem with brute force.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Chrislito's way was requested, here it is. You can see that Oldparp and Ortwin are trying to intimidate the jury while Crobbles handwaves:

I would love to see your approach to making these.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Need help for a shop - I need this re-written from a goon perspective, with the good Doctor Derek involved if poss (but that's not vital, just needs to be snappy)

"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

I am so, so stuck.... I got as far as:

"In 2017 a crap commando unit was sent to prison by a civil court for a crime they almost certainly commited."

Then I ran out of ideas.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Raskolnikov posted:

I love the thread title.

There's no scam I can see
Since I bought Fidelity

But a better poster than I should finish the Ballad of Fidelity.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Galarox posted:

Chrislito's way was requested, here it is. You can see that Oldparp and Ortwin are trying to intimidate the jury while Crobbles handwaves:

This is spectacular

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

I don’t think they’re about to die. I think I’ve been fairly cautious about that because we don’t know, won’t know, can’t know cash positions and even if we did we wouldn’t know whether additional arrangements exist which could extend CIG’s life.

I DO think a lot of the whales have embraced a new narrative though, “Chris is the dreamer of dreams but Erin is the get-poo poo-done guy.” It’s not overly stated often but what this means is that there’s been a rebalancing of trust, with Erin receiving more as Chris retains less. CIG seems aware of this and Erin as the first guest on RTV suggests they’re very much mindful of the need to protect faith in the project. Having Chris speak about 3.0 in any capacity will only be salt in the wounds because he’s the guy who oversold and underdelivered in a huge way with 3.0 and people — even true believers and zealot megawhales — associate 3.0 with Chris’ chronic untrustworthiness issues. (And they’re quick to forget Erin’s not exactly sterling record of reliability, such as claims they’d have 3 big releases last year...)

If Erin is the one they need to be able to trust most, then the optics, the presentation of Erin matters. The project seems to have taken a toll on Erin. I don’t mean that in a mocking way. He looks unhealthy and whatever the causes, it would be reasonable for believers to worry a little. Slouching posture and poor camera framing only magnified the effect and paradoxically conveyed this “the incredible shrinking Erin” imagery which I exaggerated visually to make more obvious.

Consider the contrast with this Erin from 3 years ago. His posture isn’t exactly military grade but he seems far healthier and more crisp. It’s easier to watch as a result and more confidence boosting purely on the optics.

Now, I recognize I’m purely talking about the Propagandistic side of things here. It’s cynical to coach on optics and shallow to judge on superficialities. These things don’t matter to me personally but CIG relies so very heavily on propaganda and need to because it’s the main tool in their tool kit and always has been.

So for these reasons, these contemptibly shallow and manipulative reasons, they might want to get a little more on point when giving Erin screen time. (I’d add more about actually helping steer him in healthier directions for his and his family's sake but, well, I don’t think CIG listens to those.)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=46m46s
basically erin is saying that if he were to develop star citizen instead of chris a lot of stuff would be different. He also talks how Chris vision suckered even him into the project, because the project was ambitious.
Just listen beaten man talk as bonus it talks how star citizen is the new second-life .

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I also don’t see why moma won’t play SC with The Agent. I don’t think The Agent has ever burned somebody in all the times he’s been given some info, even when that info came from obviously fake sources.

The only reason really would be the one everybody already knows: moma is just a poser out to pick on Derek and doesn’t actually own anything related to Star Citizen. :shrug:

Moma can't let his Star Citizen identity leak because he'll be active on twitter and reddit defending the faith, possibly twitch too.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dark Off posted:

basically erin is saying that if he were to develop star citizen instead of chris a lot of stuff would be different. He also talks how Chris vision suckered even him into the project, because the project was ambitious.
Just listen beaten man talk as bonus it talks how star citizen is the new second-life .

for one thing, with Erin at the helm, Star Citizen would've been a Lego re-skin, so quite different

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jason Sextro posted:

the tricks are only because they don't have CR's ambition to solve every problem with brute force.

One thing I’ve learned in my stay in the programming industry:

When somebody is faced with a difficult situation and somebody has a solution to the problem, but the decision makers don’t want to do it even if it makes sense and is not cost prohibitive, it’s usually a case where they don’t understand either the problem or the solution fully. Sticking with what you know vs the reality of something growing beyond your capability to understand it can be a harrowing experience. Sometimes as a leader you just need to let your experts be experts, because that’s why you have them on your team.

I’m not saying this is every situation, because sometimes there are very good business reasons to not do something.

But in CRs case I think he brays about “no tricks!” because he doesn’t understand them, and utterly refuses to let his experts do their job. He probably no longer has experts though, so brute force probably is the only allowed paradigm.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Need help for a shop - I need this re-written from a goon perspective, with the good Doctor Derek involved if poss (but that's not vital, just needs to be snappy)

"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

"In 2017 a crap commando unit was sent to prison by a civil court for a crime they almost certainly commited."

Then I ran out of ideas.

I tried.

"In 2016 a Space Commando named Derek Smart was Banned by a Forum Mod for a Crime he thinks he didn't commit. Derek promptly escaped his permaban from Something Awful by paying Lowtax his tenbux and starting his own forum. Today, still hounded by Star Citizens, he survives as a self quoting and doxxing Herald of the ELE. If you have a problem, and can let him loving finish, maybe you can hire the A-Team. And FURTHERMOREEEEEE!!!!"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Titanic posted:

But in CRs case I think he brays about “no tricks!” because he doesn’t understand them, and utterly refuses to let his experts do their job. He probably no longer has experts though, so brute force probably is the only allowed paradigm.

I also suspect that CR simply philosophically disagrees with tricks of any kind, possibly because he thinks they compromise the all-important fidelity and/or immersion.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Galarox posted:

Then I ran out of ideas.
How about continuing like this?

These men promptly glitched out through a garage door to the back side of Los Angeles. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of misfortune. If you have a successful project, if no one else can ruin it, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Parp team.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

There's an amazing documentary by the brilliant Adam Curtis called 'Hypernormalisation' that delves into these matters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM

It's well worth a watch, really.

"Welcome to the post-truth world. You know it's not real. But you accept it as normal."

quote:

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore." He continued "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors … and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

Suskind, Ron (2004-10-17). Faith, Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush. The New York Times Magazine.

That was Karl Rove over a decade ago. They've been making poo poo up for a long time.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

I would love to see your approach to making these.

Welp - my CIG pshop folder is 3.25 gigs. Last time someone asked about this ITT it was at about 2 gigs I think. It's all about trawling the poo poo which CIG have posted online to find the equivalent of "le bon mot" ie- the ideal screencap or pic to use in in any given shop. It sometimes takes hours and hours... and hours to get it right and then, wierdly, it sometimes takes minutes. I have no idea which is more satisfying. I just love the end results, :v:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

How about continuing like this?

These men promptly glitched out through a garage door to the back side of Los Angeles. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of misfortune. If you have a successful project, if no one else can ruin it, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Parp team.

perfect thanks :) :)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

If he does these walkabouts as a regular thing it will be harder and harder to hide the empty office of :lesnick:

Yeah they may need a cardboard cutout sitting behind the desk. If they whip one up loving gazing at some piece of Wing Commander arcana, the backers would never know.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thoatse posted:

Hello cool and good pgi dudebro. I was just sharing my cautious optimism about MW5 with some folks, a lot of potential there in itself plus it could possibly be the mech game that sets the standard for the genre om VR

I’ve generally avoided all news of MW5 in the studio. Most of the reveals at Mech Con were a surprise to me as well.

I haven’t even played it yet, despite having access to the private VIP booth with the 40” 4K display. I want to play it as close to the final game as I can.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Galarox posted:

Then I ran out of ideas.

It should end:

If you have a problem, if you need a floor mopping, and if you can find the instance they are in, maybe you can hire the Parp-Team.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Galarox posted:

Then I ran out of ideas.

PM'd

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Welp - my CIG pshop folder is 3.25 gigs. Last time someone asked about this ITT it was at about 2 gigs I think. It's all about trawling the poo poo which CIG have posted online to find the equivalent of "le bon mot" ie- the ideal screencap or pic to use in in any given shop. It sometimes takes hours and hours... and hours to get it right and then, wierdly, it sometimes takes minutes. I have no idea which is more satisfying. I just love the end results, :v:

What is your process for editing and layout? Or is it more of an organic freeform of creative inspiration?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dark Off posted:

Yeah the Second Life comment was the biggest reveal in a largely non-substantive discussion with a shrinking, slouching former Lego Game reskinner upon whose shoulders rests all the hopes of the biggest consumer funded gaming project in history.

It made me sit up straight to hear it, even as it makes him slouch to say it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/KvvOuZw.gifv

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I can’t believe it’s true, but if it is it’s utterly hilarious. Especially to bugs. This would make CIG hands down the worst game company ever, even if their product was mostly functional.

It's not bugs (well, the ship exploding for whatever reason is a bug), it's *designed* to be that way. Your LTI only covers the base ship, any add-ons that you add and get destroyed, for whatever reason, are supposed to be lost, unless you also insure them, which is not possible right now.

That is what citizens pay big bucks for, that's part of the dream.

(This is of course only an accident caused by poo poo code, but, for some twisted monkey-paw reason, it ended up creating exactly what was advertised)

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

Yeah the Second Life comment was the biggest reveal in a largely non-substantive discussion with a shrinking, slouching former Lego Game reskinner upon whose shoulders rests all the hopes of the biggest consumer funded gaming project in history.

It made me sit up straight to hear it, even as it makes him slouch to say it.

Its not what he had to say which made him slouch. Its the unjust enrichment that has enhanced his lifestyle beyond his dreams that has allowed him to get very fat to cause the slouching. When most people come in to new money, the first thing that happens is they put on a LOT of weight. Look at Chris and Erin when they first popped on the scene and then compare it to now.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

:five: :perfect: :five:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Galarox posted:

:five: :five:

Beautiful work.

I am always amazed (and a little jealous) of the creativity, experience, and big-brains that this thread has managed to attract.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

DapperDon posted:

What is your process for editing and layout? Or is it more of an organic freeform of creative inspiration?

That's like asking Siegfried and Roy how to they made their cats disappear and reappear :)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Galarox posted:

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Galarox posted:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Abuminable posted:

That's like asking Siegfried and Roy how to they made their cats disappear and reappear :)

Not when one is trying to learn from a true master of their craft.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Galarox posted:

Amazing

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

I don’t think they’re about to die. I think I’ve been fairly cautious about that because we don’t know, won’t know, can’t know cash positions and even if we did we wouldn’t know whether additional arrangements exist which could extend CIG’s life.

I DO think a lot of the whales have embraced a new narrative though, “Chris is the dreamer of dreams but Erin is the get-poo poo-done guy.” It’s not overly stated often but what this means is that there’s been a rebalancing of trust, with Erin receiving more as Chris retains less. CIG seems aware of this and Erin as the first guest on RTV suggests they’re very much mindful of the need to protect faith in the project. Having Chris speak about 3.0 in any capacity will only be salt in the wounds because he’s the guy who oversold and underdelivered in a huge way with 3.0 and people — even true believers and zealot megawhales — associate 3.0 with Chris’ chronic untrustworthiness issues. (And they’re quick to forget Erin’s not exactly sterling record of reliability, such as claims they’d have 3 big releases last year...)

If Erin is the one they need to be able to trust most, then the optics, the presentation of Erin matters. The project seems to have taken a toll on Erin. I don’t mean that in a mocking way. He looks unhealthy and whatever the causes, it would be reasonable for believers to worry a little. Slouching posture and poor camera framing only magnified the effect and paradoxically conveyed this “the incredible shrinking Erin” imagery which I exaggerated visually to make more obvious.

Consider the contrast with this Erin from 3 years ago. His posture isn’t exactly military grade but he seems far healthier and more crisp. It’s easier to watch as a result and more confidence boosting purely on the optics.

Now, I recognize I’m purely talking about the Propagandistic side of things here. It’s cynical to coach on optics and shallow to judge on superficialities. These things don’t matter to me personally but CIG relies so very heavily on propaganda and need to because it’s the main tool in their tool kit and always has been.

So for these reasons, these contemptibly shallow and manipulative reasons, they might want to get a little more on point when giving Erin screen time. (I’d add more about actually helping steer him in healthier directions for his and his family's sake but, well, I don’t think CIG listens to those.)

There's a distinction to be made between judging the potential future and longevity of CIG on speculated income, and judging it on the fruit of its production. Using income/optics/self-owns is shaky ground and easily dismissed for exactly the reason you give - it's superficial, albeit fun and hilarious.

Looking at their releases is a solid way to start thinking about where this is all headed. They are getting worse.

I get the impression that Chris is hidden from view for the same reason the 3.0 test builds were watermarked and hidden from view. Chris sitting in front of a camera making promises and talking about all this exciting stuff coming in 2 weeks is just old and sad and broken.

In fact everything they've released to date is old and sad and broken, even the shills sound old and sad and broken. I can't see how they will claw back even the superficial side of their - let's be honest - marketing videos. If Erin is the get stuff done guy I want to see him getting stuff done, not sitting talking poo poo on a marketing video.

It's done G0rf, we're watching it circling the drain.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Ok well for the shop I just posted I tried Sandi and Oldparp as BA Baracus and it didn't quite work - so I was casting about for something that would. About 3 hours in by this point and then it occured to me that the good Doctor would be perfect for BA (I pity the fool rear end-clowns. It just worked (for me) I never really have a clear idea of where I am going when I begin, it just evolves. I supose that could be called organic, I dunno. There is no rhyme or reason. For me some things just work and others don't. I just try and navigate to the gold, and my first principle is "What is funny?"

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

DapperDon posted:

Not when one is trying to learn from a true master of their craft.

Just bullshitting... you know that!! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Galarox posted:

lmao

amazing