Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think his ep will have a long tail.

Fake edit:
“Anything you want to plug?”
“Nope”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Matt Gorley's Instagram had a story where he's filming part of the PFT tribute, where everyone on stage is singing PFT to the melody of "Let It Be."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This week's i4h was fantastic for any occasional-listeners.

e: Holy poo poo, in the newest WSG, that moment where Gabrus, Sodaro, and Lapkus all figure out the connection between Earwolf and Howl in real time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 14, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Coco13 posted:

Matt Gorley's Instagram had a story where he's filming part of the PFT tribute, where everyone on stage is singing PFT to the melody of "Let It Be."

This post made me double check to make sure PFT wasn't dead.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sinteres posted:

This post made me double check to make sure PFT wasn't dead.

Ok it wasn't just me.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Well, is he dead or not?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The weather was like It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World...overcast.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

PFT #RIPossible

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Newest Wild Horses ep is pretty great. If you're a fan of weird Erin Whitehead, then this is the one to listen to. She's got at least 2 or 3 insane stories, and she admits her favorite movie ever is Armageddon. Also, Conan is absolutely on fire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm catching up on the last few James Bonding podcasts, and I'm at the Diamonds Are Forever episode with Kristian Bruun. I've only ever seen him on Orphan Black, but I think he's always been a great guest on CBB.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Well, how was he on James Bonding?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Well, how was he on James Bonding?

He was okay, it was hard to top the Maurice LaMarche on the OHMSS episode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gaius Marius posted:

He was okay, it was hard to top the Maurice LaMarche on the OHMSS episode.

I liked it when both Orson Welles AND Ian Fleming both briefly returned from the grave for a chat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the intro to the new With Special Guest, Lauren says it's going on hiatus and will return on Stitcher Premium :(
http://www.earwolf.com/show/with-special-guest-lauren-lapkus/
On the plus side, it's a live Wild Horses show with Conan O'Brien.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have no problem paying for content but all I've heard about the widow Howlapp and now Stitcher is that then apps are garbage.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

They are loving horrible.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The downloading trick still works, so there's no reason to ever use the app.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the intro to the new With Special Guest, Lauren says it's going on hiatus and will return on Stitcher Premium :(
http://www.earwolf.com/show/with-special-guest-lauren-lapkus/
On the plus side, it's a live Wild Horses show with Conan O'Brien.

Feels like that has to be a test case for moving other popular shows there too. RIP

I like how she tried to soften the blow by saying hey this is a Stitcher Premium episode we're releasing for free...and now everything you were getting for free is going to cost money. I do think the people who make podcasts deserve to make money, but it's pretty hard to justify signing up after getting used to free content and knowing there are still so many other free podcasts I've never had the time to listen to that I could just switch over to trying if the shows I like now get paywalled.

Edit: Looks like this might be more that the show is turning into an irregularly scheduled thing than the model for the future of other shows, but we'll see. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if at least one other major Earwolf host decided he didn't want to be weekly anymore either, though supposedly the biggest shows make enough on ads that it would be unprofitable to paywall them.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 22, 2018

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sinteres posted:

though supposedly the biggest shows make enough on ads that it would be unprofitable to paywall them.

Although aren't HDTGM and, much lower down, CBB the only Earwolf shows that really count as 'big'?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Although aren't HDTGM and, much lower down, CBB the only Earwolf shows that really count as 'big'?

Probably yeah. Scott was the host I was thinking of really since he's been dropping hints that he's burning out for a while, but paywalling CBB would be a much bigger deal than With Special Guest.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Is HDTGM really more popular than CBB?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Laterite posted:

Unofficial numbers from the beginning of last year seemed to indicate that HDTGM averaged about 50k more listens per episode (300k vs. 250k). That was based on SoundCloud downloads.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, making occasional or short run shows subscriber-only makes sense as the other model you need to prove to advertisers that you can regularly pull in however many people who fit whatever demographic. Maybe this is the sinister start of howl consuming earwolf, but I kinda doubt it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
This Howling 2 HDTGM has the great selling point of "guest didn't watch the movie"

Still pretty funny. It was pretty old though. They mentioned Halloween was coming up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

This Howling 2 HDTGM has the great selling point of "guest didn't watch the movie"

Still pretty funny. It was pretty old though. They mentioned Halloween was coming up.

Tig Notaro may be the worst guest in HDTGM history. I was so glad when Paul and Jason practically took over. I feel like Jason was actively trying to get away from her, and it was clear Paul was trying to move the show forward so she had less to say.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Laterite posted:

Quite a bit - albeit based on some wholly "unscientific" Soundcloud listener counts someone on Reddit compiled. He did these for 2015 as well and the gap was about the same. I think "bad movie podcast" is about the most approachable format out there - just look at how many successful ones there are, much less upstarts and also-rans.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Knifegrab posted:

Tig Notaro may be the worst guest in HDTGM history. I was so glad when Paul and Jason practically took over. I feel like Jason was actively trying to get away from her, and it was clear Paul was trying to move the show forward so she had less to say.

In addition to Tig being even lower energy than usual, I felt like there were like a dozen times when Stephanie Allynne tried to make a point or a joke and just got interrupted or talked over.

I don't think either of them said a thing during the audience segment.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tig sounded drunk during the Q and A portion.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i love tig

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not Operator posted:

In addition to Tig being even lower energy than usual, I felt like there were like a dozen times when Stephanie Allynne tried to make a point or a joke and just got interrupted or talked over.

I think years ago when I first heard of Tig, my way of remembering her was 'the lady that steps on everyone else jokes'. Glad to see nothings changed.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Not Operator posted:

I don't think either of them said a thing during the audience segment.

Good. :colbert:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The only thing that could be better would be the audience shutting up as well.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do they just like not do studio episodes anymore

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Help Im Alive posted:

Got to go where the second opinion themes are, my man.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

If people are willing to pay to watch you talk on stage, you may as well let them.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Howling seemed to also be a screening of the movie before hand.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, I was at the Howling show. We all watched the movie right before. Hard to sit through, not even Christopher Lee's gravitas made it out of the movie unscathed. It was great. Tig didn't say much, but she and Steph have good chemistry obviously, and were both playing to the crowd in ways listeners couldn't see. There was a bit cut out, the show was well over 2 hours, including a good extended 15 minutes of Zouks in the balconies basically roasting people, and a good riff on the awful sex scene.

It was a lot of fun

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
The Conan ep is good but also lolling a lot here at them thinking comedians talking about self esteem issues and going to therapy is big

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It was a fun episode, but I understand why people told him to ease up on the self-deprecating humor. Conan can not let one minute go by without making a joke at his own expense. I know he always wants to be 'in-character' while onstage or in front of fans, but it would be nice to see him let down his guard. A Wild Horses show wasn't the place to do that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
You should listen to his never not funny episodes. He doesn't completely let his guard down but it's far more than usual