Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Absolutely, one of the highlights of it is how JRJR draws Venom himself with symbiote tendrils snaking off his suit. Really sells the symbiote itself as a living thing. For example:

Minus side: he draws the spider symbol with six legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

Minus side: he draws the spider symbol with six legs.

Plus side: It would be a proper design for Flash Thompson Venom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Goddammit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

:drat:

The comic shop near me has six weeks to live and has a sale on everything. Any good trade paperbacks with flash Thompson venom? That was going on when i didn’t have comic shops handy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:drat:

The comic shop near me has six weeks to live and has a sale on everything. Any good trade paperbacks with flash Thompson venom? That was going on when i didn’t have comic shops handy.

You want Venom: The Complete Collection volumes 1 and 2, both from 2015 I think. Remender's name is on the cover so you can't go wrong.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Fun fact: David Michelinie's original plan was for the symbiote to switch hosts every time it came back to torment Peter, which is probably why Eddie's motivations are kind of weak and petty for an arch-nemesis. But then Venom blew the gently caress up in popularity and Erik Larsen and the marketing department hijacked the character.

That would be cool as heck. The symbiote not triggering Peter's Spider-Sense is probably one of the coolest things about it. The idea that any person Spidey comes across could be Venom just biding its time is cool. I don't hate Eddie though, I've always liked Venom. I don't even hate the guys I kinda dunked on like Bane and Doomsday.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Absolutely, one of the highlights of it is how JRJR draws Venom himself with symbiote tendrils snaking off his suit. Really sells the symbiote itself as a living thing. For example:

That looks a lot like the church from the end of the Crow, which fits being the most 90s thing ever. But Yea, maybe I was just older when Venom came out but I never cared about him, or any symbiot unless its directly dealing with Peter's relationship with it. I always find younger people like Venom, like kids who were just getting into comics when Venom was a thing. I was never a "I'm not reading that kids stuff from Marvel and DC, I'm reading Image and Vertigo", but at that point that's what I was reading. Well, less Image, more Vertigo. But Venom never really caught on.

I can't muster any excitement for this movie. I'm more worried about my lack of excitement for Incredibles 2 because the teaser is 100% baby and that is the least interesting thing they could have done. Oh hey we've waited like 15 years for this movie, but lets focus on the baby because that's the most interesting thing from the first movie, not the family dynamic and the dealing with aging.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Fun fact: David Michelinie's original plan was for the symbiote to switch hosts every time it came back to torment Peter, which is probably why Eddie's motivations are kind of weak and petty for an arch-nemesis. But then Venom blew the gently caress up in popularity and Erik Larsen and the marketing department hijacked the character.

They also played around with the idea of it being a woman who lost her baby due to traffic jam that was caused by Spider-Man fighting a villain, which also would have been more interesting.

However, it's also super dark and I could see people being upset about it, even then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Carnage is way more 90s than Venom

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
re: yesterdays convo, fess up whos account is this

https://twitter.com/SaraJBenincasa/status/952208167525498880

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish she was doing that very quietly and not on twitter. Also I'd throw $10 into the pot to make it more worthwhile.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

Carnage is way more 90s than Venom

Yeah, because Venom is late eighties. Venom and Todd were the heralds of the 90's. Jim and Rob taking over the X books were the metaphorical Galactus.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

I wish she was doing that very quietly and not on twitter. Also I'd throw $10 into the pot to make it more worthwhile.

Maybe it's Black Twitter and he won't see it. (I don't know how Twitter works)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

site posted:

re: yesterdays convo, fess up whos account is this

https://twitter.com/SaraJBenincasa/status/952208167525498880

I may or may not have sent some @s about that out yesterday

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Koalas March posted:

I may or may not have sent some @s about that out yesterday

:3:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/952232138291793920

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Black Widow trailer!!!!
https://youtu.be/PmUL6wMpMWw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Only about 5 months late with that joke

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/952611344540303360

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

Only about 5 months late with that joke

Is this one still relevant?
https://youtu.be/j_5KgpN38hM

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinestro and Sivana eh? Sure, why not?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is the song in the finale BP trailer on the Kendrick soundtrack or is that part of the score?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

I still can't believe Spiderman 3 didn't bother. Topher Grace's voice coming out of Venom unaltered is... less than menacing.

My favorite monster voice was for the Violator in the HBO Spawn series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjjj6smZP8&t=98s

They could have easily went with a generic growling demon voice, but the raspy whispering is just so much more effective.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked Venom as a kid despite never having read any comics featuring him. It was mostly action figures and Marvel vs Capcom (I really love that "We are venom" line).

Also I read Spawn (not regularly), with singles like the early Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman-penned stuff and the 50s where it goes darker (I preferred the latter). But really it's because of the Capcom arcade game Spawn: In the Demon's Hand (which was basically a Spawn-themed Power Stone) which I played the gently caress out of...

Never even saw the movie or the cartoon.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I just can't wait to hear whatever weird voice he uses for Venom.

NOT IN MY ARSE YOU OMO'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F3B2GHaiRc&t=27s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still wish we were getting a wasp solo but regardless, I'm glad she's getting a full suit and not that one with the bare arms shown in the antman stinger. Coulda done without the molded boob chest tho

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/953336966161956864

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That suit is ugly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looks like Trakeena

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aphrodite posted:

That suit is ugly.

It's a bit bland and I'm not a big fan of the penis pointing at her crotch. metal plating in the front.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'd like the muted gold to be replaced with yellow to give the costume a bit more life, but other than that I think the costume is fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That suit is ugly.

So just like Ant-man's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jamesman posted:

I'd like the muted gold to be replaced with yellow to give the costume a bit more life, but other than that I think the costume is fine.

Yeah, you're right. The suit is fine but some gold accents to make it more "waspish" would have really helped it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just wish it had some more color. And didn't have a massive phallus on it. I don't see why Ant-Man's suit is red and hers is just midnight blue/black.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'all should turn on your monitors. The Ant-Man suits have always been the coolest-looking of all the MCU costumes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SonicRulez posted:

I just wish it had some more color. And didn't have a massive phallus on it. I don't see why Ant-Man's suit is red and hers is just midnight blue/black.

The darker more violent counterpart is always in dark colors, and halfway through the movie when Hank dies she spraypaints a skull on her chest

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all should turn on your monitors. The Ant-Man suits have always been the coolest-looking of all the MCU costumes.

Nope.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She better than 4 different costumes throughout the movie.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Ant-Man and Commander Shepard are gonna kick so much rear end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still don't get why everyone was so enamored with that character in the first Ant-Man film. Is it just her hair? It is, isn't it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

The Ant Man suit was a pretty good design for a military/spy suit like it was for Pym.

The Wasp suit is a little too Mass Effect background character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We got a new Flash director.

http://variety.com/2018/dirt/news/flash-movie-directors-john-francis-daley-jonathan-goldstein-1202665854/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sure, fine, just do whatever at this point.

• Locked thread