Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I like the use of Immigrant Song in Thor: Ragnarok because the movie itself is kinda goofy & isn't trying to take itself seriously. Now if they used The Karen Oo/Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross version that was from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo I may feel differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY4f_83t_rw

Is this a serious post? That version is garbage and ten times cheesier than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

You wouldn't play I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me in a movie like The Conversation in a scene where they're bugging a room. You wouldn't play The Wreck of the Old 97 in a movie where Denzel Washington is trying to stop a runaway train. You wouldn't play Billy Jean in a movie about a paternity suit. It'd be like early-MTV music videos where the action being portrayed visually is exactly what the song lyric is showing: it would seem amateurish and facile.

I don't think it was in this specific case, but a soundtrack choice can definitely be *too* on-point.

Mindhunter, the show about serial killers set in 1977, ended an episode with Psycho Killer. My eyes almost rolled out of my skull.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Personally I think all uses of Immigrant Song would be better if they used the Demons & Wizards version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exa53sLOPBQ

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's mostly the association with the shrek scene.

I just wanted the movie with the thunder god to take itself a little more seriously, that's all.

Yeah you're right, they should have used Twilight of the Thunder Gods by Amon Amarth.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's mostly the association with the shrek scene.

I just wanted the movie with the thunder god to take itself a little more seriously, that's all.

The first two Thor movies took themselves seriously, and they were loving dire.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

The first two Thor movies took themselves seriously, and they were loving dire.

The first one didn't. Thor himself did, but it was still a fairly lighthearted movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

The Bloop posted:

The first one didn't. Thor himself did, but it was still a fairly lighthearted movie.

:black101: I NEED A HORSE
:v: Sir this is a pet store. We only have Hamsters and Puppies and...
:black101: THEN GIVE ME ONE OF THOSE LARGE ENOUGH TO RIDE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/theswlegacy/status/952149419125854208

Someone made the porg scene I mentioned.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Memento posted:

Yeah you're right, they should have used Twilight of the Thunder Gods by Amon Amarth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lPTz7EMTZA

:colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Panfilo posted:

:black101: I NEED A HORSE
:v: Sir this is a pet store. We only have Hamsters and Puppies and...
:black101: THEN GIVE ME ONE OF THOSE LARGE ENOUGH TO RIDE

My irrationally irritating movie moment; Despite this scene setting it up we never get a shot of any Asgardians riding giant hamsters or puppies into battle. Unless its in Ragnarok, I havent seen that one yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SiKboy posted:

My irrationally irritating movie moment; Despite this scene setting it up we never get a shot of any Asgardians riding giant hamsters or puppies into battle. Unless its in Ragnarok, I havent seen that one yet.

We haven't even seen the chariot pulled by goats.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any character who always rambles on nervously but it’s obviously supposed to be endearing and quirky annoys me

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The scene where they talk about how they can't find Thor, start driving and immediately hit him with the car was so funny it should have been in a much better movie.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Any character who always rambles on nervously but it’s obviously supposed to be endearing and quirky annoys me

There's probably reams of critical writing and a TV Tropes page about this, but my theory is that the audience finding a comic relief character annoying depends on how the other characters relate to them. Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars or Neelix in Star Trek Voyager are annoying because we the audience can see that they are unfunny, irritating, and generally making situations worse by being there, BUT THE OTHER CHARACTERS DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They don't even seem to recognise the character as being annoying, with very occasional exceptions like Qui Gon grabbing Jar Jar's tongue when he goes to grab food with it, or Tuvok visibly suppressing his frustration with Neelix's rambling. I think characters like C3P0 in Star Wars or Rom in ST:DS9 would be annoying to us if other characters weren't regularly annoyed by them.

poo poo, I'm rambling on.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I loved Voyager buy Neelix and Tuvok were kind of weak characters.

Tuvix, though... He had energy. He was interesting! He was conflicted! I hate when film/tv introduce a character only to yank them out because they only serve a narrative purpose for that episode/scene. I guess I'm just looking for a movie with wall to wall cameos

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Penpal posted:

I loved Voyager
You don't get to have opinions any more.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunswipe posted:

...or Tuvok visibly suppressing his frustration with Neelix's rambling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdH1GomPTk

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Penpal posted:

I guess I'm just looking for a movie with wall to wall cameos

Careful what you wish for, because Movie 43 sadly exists.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

You don't get to have opinions any more.

Yeah I get that a lot, but in my formative years as a kid it was the newest one, it had 7 of 9, it had Holodoctor doing loving wallrun flips and leaping slow-mo from one holo-emitter to another grabbing his mobile-emitter while Tuvok is lighting them up with phasers, and Kate Mulgrew post season 1 was pretty rad.

So I have a soft spot for it

I like other star treks and wars, too

edit: yeah, movie 43 crossed my mind, but the actual movie I'm dreaming of probably exists and it's probably an old Jacques Tati film. I should just watch Playtime again

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Penpal posted:

The Anchorman brawl scenes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I thought the fight in the second one was hilarious. They took the gag from the first movie and cranked it up to rediculous levels, with tons of cameos. Liam Neeson showing up with a goddamn minotaur and John C Reilly as the ghost of Stonewall Jackson was great, not to mention Harrison Ford turning into a werewolf.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

They had the loving CBC, they handled that scene perfectly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Penpal posted:

The List of Adrian Messenger?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I just realised that I really want to see in an OTT action movie is someone, maybe a friend of the main character, coming in with a blacklight as a goof or searching for something and finding luminous fluid everywhere from a firefight early in the movie - but the character doesn't believe it's blood and just starts giving the main character poo poo as he keeps protesting "No, honest it's blood! There were, like, 30 ninjas with assault rifles and..." "Yeah, yeah...."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Panfilo posted:

I thought the fight in the second one was hilarious. They took the gag from the first movie and cranked it up to rediculous levels, with tons of cameos. Liam Neeson showing up with a goddamn minotaur and John C Reilly as the ghost of Stonewall Jackson was great, not to mention Harrison Ford turning into a werewolf.

This scene is the only good one in the entire movie and I wouldn't be shocked if that's where the entire budget went.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rough Lobster posted:

This scene is the only good one in the entire movie and I wouldn't be shocked if that's where the entire budget went.

I don't know, I enjoyed "Surely you'd have known as soon as you touched it""Do I have to spell it out for you? I. AM. BLIND!" That was a funny scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWaJC3_-PE

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anchorman 2 would be a lot better if the movie didn’t have Will Ferrell give a response literally every time anyone says a line.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It feels to say it but it should have been subtler, like the first Anchorman.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Anchorman 2 would have been a lot better if it were an actual movie rather than a bunch of improv scenes mashed together at random.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemon posted:

Anchorman 2 would have been a lot better if it were an actual movie rather than a bunch of improv scenes mashed together at random.

Anchorman 2 would have been a lot better if it wasn't a sequel to a poo poo unfunny movie starring the product of the Chevy Chase cloning project.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thank you for that post as, even though I don't remember ever actually watching a will Farrell movie, I've always had this weird thought of him as a knockoff/budget Chevy chase. I'm glad I'm not crazy and other people feel the same way.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Except I haven’t heard any accounts of Will Farrell being a raging egomaniacal dickbag like Chase, so it was a successful project.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Penpal posted:

Yeah I get that a lot, but in my formative years as a kid it was the newest one, it had 7 of 9, it had Holodoctor doing loving wallrun flips and leaping slow-mo from one holo-emitter to another grabbing his mobile-emitter while Tuvok is lighting them up with phasers, and Kate Mulgrew post season 1 was pretty rad.

So I have a soft spot for it

I like other star treks and wars, too

edit: yeah, movie 43 crossed my mind, but the actual movie I'm dreaming of probably exists and it's probably an old Jacques Tati film. I should just watch Playtime again

I can see why you might like Voyager if you hadn't seen much of TNG or DS9. For me, it's just a show full of wasted opportunity trying to rehash what earlier shows did better. Maybe it could have been saved if the whole crew died apart from The Doctor and Seven of Nine.
Shoulda ended the series right there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

I can see why you might like Voyager if you hadn't seen much of TNG or DS9. For me, it's just a show full of wasted opportunity trying to rehash what earlier shows did better. Maybe it could have been saved if the whole crew died apart from The Doctor and Seven of Nine.

Shoulda ended the series right there.

Tuvok and Kes were fine, and frankly the others were too, just poorly written.

Voyager is like Failed To Deliver On It's Premise: The Series, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Ferrell and Chevy Chase's acts have nothing in common.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Garrand posted:

Thank you for that post as, even though I don't remember ever actually watching a will Farrell movie, I've always had this weird thought of him as a knockoff/budget Chevy chase. I'm glad I'm not crazy and other people feel the same way.

huh? in what way? they dont look alike and their acting is very different?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aphrodite posted:

Will Ferrell and Chevy Chase's acts have nothing in common.

Agreed. I didn't get the comparison myself.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Both of them are completely unlike each other, so they have that in common at the very least.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're both big guys with big heads. And they tell jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
They brought Neelix back for a Delta Quadrant arc in Star Trek: Online. He was re-united with the Doctor and was still just as annoying. The writers of the game really got the characters.