Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Why does the guy on the right wearing red disappear, it seems the truck crossed the line twice in two different takes and it was badly spliced together?

Or maybe a few frames missing?

Why is she not surprised before the cut then surprised after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Why is she not surprised before the cut then surprised after?

She looks frustrated by the truck, and it's probably pretty easy to just think "oh, I can't believe someone's driving on the track". It might not even be the first time they've seen it happen. What might be more surprising is that the truck's load is uncommonly tall, and tall enough to take down their finish line, which is an important part of a race.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

See, I would think the point of worry would be "Oh poo poo, a big rear end truck is barreling through the bicycle race course immediately behind a group of racers" and not "Oh no, the inflatable!"

Then again, I'm not Australian and have trouble fathoming the antipodean mind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My stepuncle was competing in a triathlon, and was so far out ahead of the swim portion that when he started the bike portion the course personnel didn't think anyone was biking yet, and let a truck onto the course.

So uncle's going down around a curve, head down, checking his speed, and looks up just in time to see a truck grille in his face. One of his legs actually shattered the bike frame. They airlifted him to the hospital and everything turned out okay, but yeesh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In the news link I posted earlier the video runs for slightly longer and you can see that there was a second truck behind the one that took down the inflatable.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the news link I posted earlier the video runs for slightly longer and you can see that there was a second truck behind the one that took down the inflatable.

watch bush start a loving war

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This gif is making me feel dumb as poo poo I still don't get whats going on in it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
would duct tape be alright to use to wrap a joint between two 20ga wires being used for a single 5 volt arcade game switch? I'm useless at electric stuff and i'm wondering if i should wait for the hardware stores to open tomorrow or not

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
if ur asking in this thread im gonna say no

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

damnit i walked past it at home depot the other day too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallows posted:

This gif is making me feel dumb as poo poo I still don't get whats going on in it

a truck ran into a big inflatable thing, what the hell is so difficult for you goons to understand?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just use some Scotch tape. Tape is tape.

And film it for this thread to use later.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you want to get your arcade setup working for the night the chances that it goes wrong in any meaningful way are basically zero. When I was younger and dumber I went through three cars with my aftermarket stereo installed on a duct taped together harness.

It's not by any means correct though and anyone who sees it will laugh at you and you will deserve it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

would duct tape be alright to use to wrap a joint between two 20ga wires being used for a single 5 volt arcade game switch? I'm useless at electric stuff and i'm wondering if i should wait for the hardware stores to open tomorrow or not

It's probably fine (as in, it won't short-circuit or blow up or kill you) but the proper way to do it is heat-shrink.

Electrical tape is okay too but it will turn into a sticky mess after a few months so beware if you ever need to rework the connection. Duct tape will do the same but it also doesn't seal as tightly as electrical tape because of the cloth mesh, so it's a bad choice all around.

You are soldering the joint, right? Not just twisting the wires and taping them and hoping for the best?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably fine (as in, it won't short-circuit or blow up or kill you) but the proper way to do it is heat-shrink.

Electrical tape is okay too but it will turn into a sticky mess after a few months so beware if you ever need to rework the connection. Duct tape will do the same but it also doesn't seal as tightly as electrical tape because of the cloth mesh, so it's a bad choice all around.

You are soldering the joint, right? Not just twisting the wires and taping them and hoping for the best?

yeah so they're soldered and now i want something to cover the joint. i guess i'll just get proper electrical tape in the morning and call it a day

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sagebrush posted:

Seconding this, tape gets really gummy and nasty fairly quickly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Until the collimator gets all gunked up and your hipster beard gets set on fire.

E: Laser bong service technician is the most :drugnerd: job title I can imagine

This makes my day thinking about the actual issues with a functional laser bong. Hopefully the people of the future will debug this awesome tech.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

NASA legendarily spent 30 billion dollars on developing a vape that can be used in zero g. You know what the Russians did? Just used off the shelf syringes and shot krodil into their thighs.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah but with the Russians method you have to worry about getting some thigh matter in your mouth.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It'll absolutely be fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/qG4kndn.gifv

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i dont see the problem

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i dont see the problem

No tambourine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcd3iz7zgM

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/fjQQg4n.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm having trouble with the physics of that. Why does the truck frame tip up after the ram fails?

Edit: residual pressure on the retraction side?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The weight of the bed is supported on the hydraulic piston and the rear axle. When the hydraulics fails, all weight is then supported on the rear axle, tipping the front of the truck up.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Second time this has been posted, and it STILL make me go :stare:

The forces at work to do that are just impressive.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The weight of the bed is supported on the hydraulic piston and the rear axle. When the hydraulics fails, all weight is then supported on the rear axle, tipping the front of the truck up.

Oh, I see, the fulcrum is behind the rear axle. Yeah, that works.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
nm

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 13, 2018

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

You build separate roads for light vehicles so they don't have to cross paths with haul trucks except at designated crossing points.

This doesn't happen in the majority of mines. Neither does shutting down production so light vehicles can access a working area. What you do is drive really loving carefully and always assume that the heavy equipment has no idea you're there and/or wants to kill you.

0toShifty posted:

I took a tour of the open-pit gold mine in Cripple Creek. We drove in a small econoline based bus. And I tell you that with little exception we ONLY drove on the haul roads, and we passed several trucks on the haul roads.

Every light vehicle even associated with the mine has a very tall flag on it like a child's bike. Even the delivery vehicles from the local auto parts stores have them, just to bring parts to the light vehicle maintenance shop. The drivers all have to be trained, even the ones from the car parts stores. In this mine the traffic drives on the left. They say it's for safety reasons, but the reasons didn't make much sense at the time. It's probably because they used to be owned by Anglo Ashanti. The geologists used normal F-350s, again driven on the haul roads to the bottom of the mine to plan where to blast next.

Left hand traffic is used in mines for 2 reasons that I'm aware of.

Reason 1: The majority of haul roads in an open pit will have a highwall on 1 side and a shear drop off on the other. Both are things you do not want a truck coming into contact with. The smallest blind spots (which are still pretty fuckin big) are on the left hand side where the cab is. If you utilize left hand traffic, it is easier for the operator to judge his distance to the edge of the road.

Reason 2: If 2 haul trucks collide in a head on manner while utilizing left hand traffic, 99% of the time it will be the right sides of the trucks coming into contact, thus putting the operator as far out of danger as possible. When using right hand traffic it would be the left sides (where the operator sits) smashing into each other.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 13, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_455.html

quote:

Well within hearing distance of the passengers, the Gate Agent said, “Captain, I am required to inform you that while cleaning the cockpit, the cleaning crew saw a snake under the Captain’s pedals. The snake got away and they have not been able to find it. I am required to tell you this.”

At this time the [international pre-departure] inspection was complete, and I was allowed on the aircraft. I found two mechanics in the flight deck. I was informed that they had not been able to find the snake and they were not able to say with certainty what species of snake it was. The logbook had not been annotated with a write up, so I placed a write up in the logbook. I was also getting a line check on this flight. The Check Airman told me that his father was deathly afraid of snakes and suggested that some passengers on the flight may suffer with the same condition.

I contacted Dispatch and discussed with them that I was uncomfortable taking the aircraft with an unknown reptile condition.… The possibility [existed] that a snake could expose itself in flight, or worse on the approach, come out from under the rudder pedals. Dispatch agreed with my position. The Gate Agent then asked to board the aircraft. I said, “No,” as we might be changing aircraft. I then contacted the Chief Pilot. I explained the situation and told him I was uncomfortable flying the aircraft without determining what the condition of the snake was. I had specifically asked if the cleaning crew had really seen a snake. I was informed yes, that they had tried to vacuum it up, and it had slithered away. The Chief Pilot agreed with me and told me he would have a new aircraft for us in five minutes. We were assigned the aircraft at the gate next door.

…When I returned [to the airport], I asked a Gate Agent what had happened to the “snake airplane.” I was told that the aircraft was left in service, and the next Captain had been asked to sign some type of form stating he was informed that the snake had not been found.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Replacement pilot posted:

I have had it with these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i feel like this was the moment that trump's presidency became inevitable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/399qul5.mp4

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I want to see the aftermath of this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RIP these kids probably

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Painlessly euthanize your children in the low-oxygen environment of a storm drain so they don't have to suffer through a post-nuclear world. #CONELRADLifehacks

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The twitter is 404ing, but I assume it's a photo of a white male encouraging / placing his children into an open sewer hole because of the false alarm of attackin Hawaii. I don't think sewers are bomb shelter levels of protection, but what do I know? I don't live in a loving sewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would expect that a sewer, besides being a dark, slippery enclosed area with the potential for toxic or asphyxiating gas buildup, is not really designed to withstand the detonation of an atomic bomb and could pretty easily collapse and trap you inside