Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Usually 1 man psycho cannibal gimmick runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Assuming no mods that make it a lot easier, you basically have to start as spacer or rich solo guy and make a straight beeline to researching hydroponics. Tribals can't do it at all unless you cheat pretty heavily. If you start with 3 you can immediately euth two of them and the starting pet, leaving one colonist to drag things along until you get some hydroponics going. Psychopath/cannibal makes it much easier because instead of being mega unhappy at the grim poo poo you have to do to survive, your lone survivor is actually all OMFG THIS TASTES AWESOME :unsmigghh: But it isn't the only way, you can do it with the positive mood traits like Iron Will, Sanguine, Night Owl etc.

Some ice sheet maps actually have high enough temperatures in warm seasons so you can grow a crop of rice before it goes freezing, even if the tile info says otherwise. If you are extremely lucky with your map you might have a patch of gravel that you can quickly wall up and put a sunlamp/heaters in but don't bet on that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can also wall in geothermal steam vents to heat your ice base during the early game*

*This was true last time I tried these runs and admittedly haven't tried it in a few updates.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No that's very good advice, you should do that if you can.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
If you really want to cut your teeth on the game, I would strongly recommend starting your first few colonies on Permadeath mode and treat the game like a puzzle - as in, “what kills my colony the fastest?”. Once you’ve made a colony that lasts a year, no matter in what state its in, delete the save and start fresh without Permadeath - you’ll be surprised at how quickly a colony can grow when you know what keeps it from growing.

Above all, remember - Failing is Enjoyable!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In all but the easiest environments, growing your colony too quickly is generally what will kill it, so be careful of that. Although at least now you have the straightforward option of simply banishing excess unsupportable colonists if you have to, rather than do something "meta" like walling them up and starving them or euthanizing them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

In all but the easiest environments, growing your colony too quickly is generally what will kill it, so be careful of that. Although at least now you have the straightforward option of simply banishing excess unsupportable colonists if you have to, rather than do something "meta" like walling them up and starving them or euthanizing them.

The biggest choke point I find is actually not having enough haulers to keep up with all the work if you start growing fast. Your grower might harvest the whole crop, but it took them most of the season to do it and they left your corn sitting out in the rain. Or you start expanding your tech production too quick and start running into brownouts because your solar panel battery combo is getting taxed too heavily at night.

Edit: Also, for those playing Tiberium Rim, it seems Juggernaut artillery has been given a weird buff? You can load juggernaut shells into a mortar and it fires a single shot with a massive blast radius doing 180 damage. Tested it out on a Nod raid. This guy is the only survivor, who joined my colony for what should be obvious reasons.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 14, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Army of trained huskies for haulers. Thank me later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah large dogs are the best option for haulers overall because they're easy to train. It makes me sad when you get to the point you have to start slaughtering puppies regularly but if you live near a town that will buy them trained dogs are a decent sellable export.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Not ideal in a drug producing colony 'cause they keep sneaking tastes on the goods.

Also they tend to wander outside my walls and get eaten by bears, but in the end that might not be a bad thing. I have a few always-open trap corridors that wildlife just freely wanders in. If I didn't have semi-worthless psychite-addicted dogs out there to feed the wolves and bears they'd probably come in and eat my muffalo and chicken. So I guess they keep the bears satisfied and full, which is a plus.

Honestly, I should just sell all my god drat dogs and build an internal fence for the livestock.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eiba posted:

Not ideal in a drug producing colony 'cause they keep sneaking tastes on the goods.

Also they tend to wander outside my walls and get eaten by bears, but in the end that might not be a bad thing. I have a few always-open trap corridors that wildlife just freely wanders in. If I didn't have semi-worthless psychite-addicted dogs out there to feed the wolves and bears they'd probably come in and eat my muffalo and chicken. So I guess they keep the bears satisfied and full, which is a plus.

Honestly, I should just sell all my god drat dogs and build an internal fence for the livestock.

Mine are restricted to the home area, which I have set to be exclusively inside my walls.

And, just as a reminder, my husky transportation network from my old A17 save:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There’s a mod that allows you to designate the things that pawns and animals will eat, which mostly eliminates the issue of animals sneaking drugs.

Downside is that as soon as there’s a corpse somewhere the animals that can eat corpses make a beeline to them - but there are several presets to choose from to avoid that if you desire. It also helps to keep boars from eating crops (or thrumbo if you’re that person).

Oh poo poo Giddy Up! with a thrumbo herd.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You're a braver man/woman than I if you're trying to tame enough Thrumbos to make a hard, and Thrumbos are a bitch to breed. Like a year and a half gestation period and I don't even want to think about how long to get to maturity.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I currently have a hauling herd of t-rex and triceratops. When the local wildlife decides to eat my haulers, they die and end up in my freezer.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Other than beer and smokeleaf I keep my colonists away from drugs and only use them as a stop gap to treat addictions if they've no methadone. Am I missing a big part of the game? Should I be supplying my soldiers with yayo or flake or something?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All you're missing by ignoring those things is the extreme tedium of addiction.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Leal posted:

All you're missing by ignoring those things is the extreme tedium of addiction.

That's what I assumed, games generally weight things so that drugs are bad mkay but it took me till about a third of the way through The Witcher 3 before I even bothered with potions. I generally just avoid them because I assume they're always set so that its far worse taking them than just being straight edge.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

IMO pretty much all the drugs are steeply negative in the long run and it's much better to just surround everybody with incredibly awesome valuable and beautiful poo poo instead, I don't even bother with beer or smokeleaf. It stops being cute when you have people fairly constantly falling down due to any combined consciousness debuff (disease, injuries etc) and dropping their weapons outdoors, needing to be carried home and ruining their gear. I don't expect a generic "happy pill" with no downsides but there isn't really any low-impact recreational drug, smokeleaf is a lot more like opium than pot and gently caress the various psychite type drugs right in the rear end. Beer is semi-not-terrible but it still ruins organs way too commonly to be reasonable. All of them just seem like a huge pain in the rear end to make and micromanage and they all eventually ruin colonists, Just Say No

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I accidentally misclicked on this thread and then got interested. Then I watched that "Why'd it have to be squirrels?" vid. And then I went and immediately bought this game. Holy poo poo this is the game I've always wanted. Watching a bad-rear end vat-grown ultimate soldier failing to kill a rat with a rifle for 3+ minutes is great.

So I watched a couple of Youtube tutorials and started my first game. I don't know the last time I've had this much fun playing something. I find the size of this thread daunting and I'd rather be playing than reading back through it so I have a few newb questions maybe some of you vets can help me with.

1)Are there any "must-have" mods that make things easier/more intuitive/chore removal without radically altering the base game? I'm thinking of things like the backpack mod from Don't Starve where you don't have to take off your backpack to put on armor every time you get in a fight.

2)When your colonists just wander around "stargazing" or "cloudwatching" or "going for a walk," is this something that they NEED to do to stay happy or are they just loving off? If I see someone "wandering" can I just grab them and prioritize something or should I let them walk around and get it out of their system?

3)How much growing should you do right away vs. other things? I got a base where there was a HUGE patch of fertile soil, enough for 6 6x9 fields and a couple smaller ones at the bottom so I had my farmer spend basically all their time setting these up and now I think maybe I should have built a field or two and had them do something else. I think I'm stuck in Don't Starve mode maybe where I prioritize food over everything else.

Thanks for any help and any other tips you wish you knew when you started this game. I'm going to go spend a few hours watching my little survivors plant potatoes and use 30+ rounds to kill a squirrel.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I accidentally misclicked on this thread and then got interested. Then I watched that "Why'd it have to be squirrels?" vid. And then I went and immediately bought this game. Holy poo poo this is the game I've always wanted. Watching a bad-rear end vat-grown ultimate soldier failing to kill a rat with a rifle for 3+ minutes is great.

So I watched a couple of Youtube tutorials and started my first game. I don't know the last time I've had this much fun playing something. I find the size of this thread daunting and I'd rather be playing than reading back through it so I have a few newb questions maybe some of you vets can help me with.

1)Are there any "must-have" mods that make things easier/more intuitive/chore removal without radically altering the base game? I'm thinking of things like the backpack mod from Don't Starve where you don't have to take off your backpack to put on armor every time you get in a fight.

2)When your colonists just wander around "stargazing" or "cloudwatching" or "going for a walk," is this something that they NEED to do to stay happy or are they just loving off? If I see someone "wandering" can I just grab them and prioritize something or should I let them walk around and get it out of their system?

3)How much growing should you do right away vs. other things? I got a base where there was a HUGE patch of fertile soil, enough for 6 6x9 fields and a couple smaller ones at the bottom so I had my farmer spend basically all their time setting these up and now I think maybe I should have built a field or two and had them do something else. I think I'm stuck in Don't Starve mode maybe where I prioritize food over everything else.

Thanks for any help and any other tips you wish you knew when you started this game. I'm going to go spend a few hours watching my little survivors plant potatoes and use 30+ rounds to kill a squirrel.

1. I think Combat Extended makes the game's combat a whole lot more fun. It adds things like a suppression mechanic, so pawns will try and take cover if someone with an LMG is spraying their location. The steam version isn't compatible with the current version of Rimworld at the moment so you have to install it from Github.

Prepare Carefully is good too but it is easy to cheese with it and make the game boring. Set up camp and Psychology are definitely worth taking a look at. One of the Fencing mods too to prevent loving wild animals from wandering in and eating your crops.

2. Yeah. They have a "joy" requirement, and stuff like that helps with it. Doing the same sort of joy activity over and over progressively gives less joy, so it's good to have a variety of things they can do.

3. I generally do as much growing as possible, depending on the climate. Corn is iirc the most high-producing vegetable but it takes the longest to grow so it can be hard to use it in colder climates. You can also grow herbal medicine, cotton for clothes, drugs, hops (for beer) and so on.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

IMO pretty much all the drugs are steeply negative in the long run and it's much better to just surround everybody with incredibly awesome valuable and beautiful poo poo instead, I don't even bother with beer or smokeleaf. It stops being cute when you have people fairly constantly falling down due to any combined consciousness debuff (disease, injuries etc) and dropping their weapons outdoors, needing to be carried home and ruining their gear. I don't expect a generic "happy pill" with no downsides but there isn't really any low-impact recreational drug, smokeleaf is a lot more like opium than pot and gently caress the various psychite type drugs right in the rear end. Beer is semi-not-terrible but it still ruins organs way too commonly to be reasonable. All of them just seem like a huge pain in the rear end to make and micromanage and they all eventually ruin colonists, Just Say No

The main issue is that even used sparingly, there's always the risk your colonist will get addicted. Drink a beer once a year? Addiction. Smoked than one time? Addiction. And the long term negative effects even apart from addiction are way overdone. A beer a day is unlikely to do you any real harm in real life, but in Rimworld you're going to become an alcoholic with liver damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Slime posted:

The main issue is that even used sparingly, there's always the risk your colonist will get addicted. Drink a beer once a year? Addiction. Smoked than one time? Addiction. And the long term negative effects even apart from addiction are way overdone. A beer a day is unlikely to do you any real harm in real life, but in Rimworld you're going to become an alcoholic with liver damage.

In a shockingly short amount of time, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JonathonSpectre posted:

you got some good answers already but i will give you some more responses

1) there are no must-have mods and i recommend you play vanilla for your first game or two just to get a feel for what you do and don't like about the game. the mod status on this game has basically progressed to 'there's a mod for everything' so if you go looking for stuff super early you're going to get lost in the abyss.
2) yes, that is one way for them to satisfy their Joy need. you will also occasionally see "praying" and "meditating" in the same vein. doing the same joy activity over and over again will reduce how effective it is though, so you will want to build a horseshoe pin early on to provide a bit more fun variety for everyone.
3) planting food, in general, is never a BAD idea, since you can sell your surpluses to passing merchants (bulk goods traders are the ones that will accept raw food). however, these merchants can be frustratingly rare so don't count on them - build walk-in freezers to keep your crops from going bad. precisely how much you should focus on it versus other things kind of depends on your grower and what you're growing.

effectively, crops are good because after some initial effort to put them in the ground. the majority of the work done to make the money is done by the plant itself. the question really becomes how quickly can you get the work to plant and reap done. this depends on the Growing stat of your planters/harvesters. someone with 10 Growing will plant many times what a 0 Growing person will. in the early game you have tons of stuff to do and it all needs to be done yesterday, so planting the entire world will just leave a lot of those things undone and you in a bad situation when you're lacking power, minerals, or defenses.

in this particular situation, i think your gut is good. you have a couple 6x9 fields up, hopefully growing rice, that will be more than sufficient food for the immediate moment. you still have bedrooms, defensive barricades, kitchens, storage, workshops, medical facilities, and research sorted out ASAP. after you have a functional base you can double back and plant the rest of your farmland.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Re: drug chat. The only drug I use semi-regularly is Wake Up, and that's only to keep my doctor up and working after a raid has injured half my colonists + whatever prisoners we decided to take alive. I never felt a need to actually make the stuff, as drops from raiders are enough supply for this use.

I also once used yayo for awhile on one of my colonists who had his wife die + a bunch of other negative mood thoughts I couldn't cure for an extended period of time. He didn't get addicted but I probably just got lucky.

In my current tribal play through, I decided to grow some smokeleaf early on when I didn't / wouldn't have basic amenities for awhile and I was having tantrum problems. One of my colonists became an addict as of joint #2 and now has cancer in her lung.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
For starting out like others have said hand me that brick, and allow tool are two mods that i would add even for vanilla runs and new players.

Fluffy's and reinbau's mod collections are top notch and really popular. When you start going down the rabbit hole of mods id start there.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
EPOE adds bionic body parts which should be base game and gamebreaking super pawns become possible.

As far as drugs, I use wake up liberally and I feel like the whole fear of addiction is a bit overblown
I do agree that addiction, especially in the base game, is pretty damning early on but by the time I'm producing wake up I'm stable and also preparing bionic legs. This is a sideways cure for addiction because you can install peg legs over regular legs, then remove them which drops a pawns movement to zero and blocks any breaks. Once they're cured you can also on some bionic legs and viola! Side note, drugs as a stepping stone to adrenaline ribs is a super useful little tech path.

Speaking of mods, does anyone have any suggestions for mods that expand the tech tree? I feel like you blow through the tech tree fast as hell unless you have resource shortages. The wake up / bionic legs thing is a good example because although they're actually pretty far away on the tech tree, it's trivial to make it happen.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You can always just turn the research rate down in the scenario setup options.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Tribal essentials has a research spot which slows everything down if you use that instead of the bench. Starting as tribals with that also kinda adds another stage of the tech tree because you have to research benches and clothes etc. Vegetable garden base adds an agricultural tech tree thats a bit longer than epoe's.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Every loving game I turn into a crazy cat animal woman man. I just keep taming and hatching eggs until every lat bit of grass have been eaten up and my fields of hay occupy my colonists. On the bright side, the wave of animals bum rushing raiders makes for a fun sight, except for teh part where my colonists spends the next day healing them all, because I am loath to waste the time gone into taming them, even though it's quite clear that I have reserves.

Still, releasing the T-rexes once the raiders leaves the maze never get old, most prisoners ends up with peg legs.

Is there a fine line between how many boars and muffalos one should have, ignoring the dinosaur mod.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Great way to train up your medics though.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Love this so far.

Flashstorm hit my colony after everyone was already pissed off from the 4 day long massive heatwave (I was conscripting people and moving them into the freezer to cool down in shifts, probably a better way to do that.) and murdered an innocent prisoner I was trying to recruit.

This set another pawn off, causing him to go clean-crazy and attempt to clean the ashes up INSIDE the fires. He died quickly. Another pawn passed out from heat exhaustion right on top of a pile of logs. Instant funeral pyre.

My poor wooden base is wrecked and I'm probably gonna start over. I've got 2 dudes left and they suck at construction and one won't haul anything cause it's beneath her. At least I learned that fire does not gently caress around in this game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Add a pack of flesh-tearing terriers, some blood and vomit and you've got yourself a really good Rimworld introduction.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rimworld in two lines.

> Eats meal without a table.
> Walks to the table to sit down and socialize.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Do bug hives ever stop replicating themselves? If not, what happens when one spawns in a sealed off cave system and just keeps going for several years until they no longer have room to expand to?

E: OH poo poo SPELOPEDES CAN MINE ROCK :gonk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just make the only route to your base go through the insect hive and live in peace forever

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Do bug hives ever stop replicating themselves? If not, what happens when one spawns in a sealed off cave system and just keeps going for several years until they no longer have room to expand to?

E: OH poo poo SPELOPEDES CAN MINE ROCK :gonk:

They keep expanding.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

HelloSailorSign posted:

They keep expanding.

Until they mine too much and get caved in on. Then they get pissed and attack. :unsmigghh:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:rip: that colony, guess that gives me an excuse to install more mods! :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahaha that's pretty cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if they do not have access to the outdoors yet/you can contain them, it may still be possible to heat them out.