Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PabloBOOM posted:

One of the jalopnik writers was hoping for a Ranger ST, and I think that would be relatively awesome compared to an Edge. They could just call it the baby raptor.

That would be legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I would love a Ranger ST, comparable to the old late 90s F150 Lightning and Dakota R/T. But we get this automatic crossover lump instead. Disappointed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's what the market dictated

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Exactly, people actually buy crossovers. The minute you tart up a Ranger, somebody then cross shops it with a bigger truck at a comparable price and it just won't make sense to anybody except about 5 enthusiasts (out of the 500 on the internet who say they'll buy it day one :rolleyes:) who want a small truck.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I just wish they upgraded the Edge Sport and left the ST badge out of this. ST isn't going to mean anything to the type of consumer that would buy this, and I feel like it cheapens the ST name to "generic sport model".

E: on a more related note, my FiST has crossed the 36,000mi point and I'm probably going to invest in an intercooler and AP in the near future. For the OTS Cobb stage 2 tunings do you actually need the new intake? I'd rather not spend money on car loudening parts.

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 12, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like you can use Stage 3 maps with just a larger intercooler, if you want. The turbo housing is the flow limiter exhaust wise with the stock turbo.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A drop-in Cobb (or other) air filter should suffice. Hack the very bottom of your airbox off for added 'whoosh' sound and intake if you are adventurous.

You are going to be blown away by how much just the AP unleashes that car.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I'd take intake noise over exhaust any day of the week.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Definitely behind the Ranger ST as well. Short bed standard cab with the EcoBoost Mustang drivetrain. AWD would be nice but probably not worth the effort for a niche model considering Ford doesn't have any longitudinal AWDs in the lineup to borrow parts from.

I'm undecided on whether it should have a normal bed or a stepside. Normal wins on practicality and IMO appearance, but Ford does have a legacy of their "sport" trucks being stepside.

Back outside of dream land, Cleveland potholes have scored a point against even 15" steel wheels. I had one the other day coming off a bridge that bent my wheel pretty good and almost certainly (when combined with a bit of stupid) killed the tire. I'm glad the Fiesta has a full-size spare. Very flad I'm not trying to run snow tires on the stock wheels.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 12, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Ford even selling the Ranger in North America right now?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rhyno posted:

Is Ford even selling the Ranger in North America right now?

Not right now but it's confirmed to be coming back as a 2019 model (along with a resurrection of the Bronco name on a Ranger-based chassis later). It's almost certain that we'll see the full reveal of the US-spec Ranger in the next few days during the Detroit show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wolrah posted:

Not right now but it's confirmed to be coming back as a 2019 model (along with a resurrection of the Bronco name on a Ranger-based chassis later). It's almost certain that we'll see the full reveal of the US-spec Ranger in the next few days during the Detroit show.

That's nifty. I'll just go ahead and say now that I'll want to buy a used one in 3-5 years because I know that poo poo pushed Larrymer's buttons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
add it to the list of poo poo you claim your gonna buy/do and never do

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm just very indecisive and also gently caress cost of ownership on BMWs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'm just very indecisive and also gently caress cost of ownership on BMWs.

cuck

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

No, as a recovering e46 owner, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the correct application in this context.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty much. You (Rhyno) are aforementioned "full of poo poo guy on internet."

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
How do Whoosh intercoolers match up against bigger names like Cobb and Mountune?

Do you need the hose and piping upgrades on the Fiesta ST to go along with the intercooler or is it superfluous?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fine unless you’re going way big power, like 350whp+. No special hoses or pipes needed unless you’re turbo swapping.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh that's gross.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
According to Jalopnik, Canucks can now spec out the Golf R in like 30 different colours. Actual colour, not just various greys and silvers. There are three different purples, just in case your first car was a brokedick B14 200SX SE-R and you want to match the "no mom its just a really deep blue" purple.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phy posted:

According to Jalopnik, Canucks can now spec out the Golf R in like 30 different colours. Actual colour, not just various greys and silvers. There are three different purples, just in case your first car was a brokedick B14 200SX SE-R and you want to match the "no mom its just a really deep blue" purple.

It’s possible but it’s like $3k extra, so gently caress that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, all the colors below the top row are $2995 extra.

Weirdly though the basic colors of the top row are the same five we get in the US, the gray and white are different variants. The Canadian market white is $450 extra, the US market one isn't a pearlescent.

Also jumping back to the Ranger ST discussion from before, the US market Ranger details were just confirmed and at least at first the 2.3EB is the only engine offering, paired with the new 10 speed auto. I guess that's kind of the Ecoboost Mustang drivetrain I was picturing, though I'd prefer three pedals and a lever...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dammit i wanted a purple car :/

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

wolrah posted:

Also jumping back to the Ranger ST discussion from before, the US market Ranger details were just confirmed and at least at first the 2.3EB is the only engine offering, paired with the new 10 speed auto. I guess that's kind of the Ecoboost Mustang drivetrain I was picturing, though I'd prefer three pedals and a lever...

I'm also sad at how big it is. I haven't bothered to go comparing dimensions to the old one, but part of the charm of the original ranger to me was the relatively compact size. But this being merica, bigger has inevitably happened to it. So now I'm off the "They should make that an ST!" boat :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Phy posted:

I would totally do this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

dammit i wanted a purple car :/

Isn't purple one of the standard options up there?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A Golf R in that dark British racing green would be dope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

We agreed in another thread that purple should be an option on all cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KillHour posted:

I believe it's technically called blue, but in person it looks decidedly on the purple side.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

"Dope" and "worth another three grand for a purely cosmetic change" are two entirely different things, and there's something of a large gap between them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PT6A posted:

"Dope" and "worth another three grand for a purely cosmetic change" are two entirely different things, and there's something of a large gap between them.

Jesus, I hope you never see a Porsche order sheet, you might have a stroke.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

I believe it's technically called blue, but in person it looks decidedly on the purple side.

Who cares? If you’re dropping 40k on a car, go crazy.

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus, I hope you never see a Porsche order sheet, you might have a stroke.

I’m the leather wrapped vents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Depending on the color and collect-ability though, it could be worth $3k on the other end.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I had a Mk 3 Golf in "Mystic Blue" which was blue or purple depending on the angle and light, but not dramatically so (not like those paint jobs which are green from one angle and purple from another). I'd have totally ordered by R in that colour if I could have :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

JamesOff posted:

I had a Mk 3 Golf in "Mystic Blue" which was blue or purple depending on the angle and light, but not dramatically so (not like those paint jobs which are green from one angle and purple from another). I'd have totally ordered by R in that colour if I could have :(

I had the jazz blue vr6 mk3 and family still being up my "purple" car I had in college.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had multiple ladies call my SVT Focus purple.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp installed a sub in the fiesta. fits under the trunk floor perfectly and makes plenty of boom. just all the pita of running wires nicely under trim panels and finding a good remote turn on. I used a tap from the sunroof fuse and it works great.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My first car was a ‘94 Bonneville. Purple on the outside purple on the inside. I used to get so much poo poo for it. Thing was a tank and surprisingly fast.

And then my first bike was a 92 CBR that was pink and purple. I also got a ton of poo poo for that. I was pretty broke at the time and was wearing a teal sweatshirt and a plaid Jansport backpack from goodwill when some kids in an RX8 pulled up next to me at the light and motioned for me to raise my visor. When I did the driver yelled “Nice bike...human being!” Felt good when I smoked him on the onramp.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Quite A Tool posted:

My first car was a ‘94 Bonneville. Purple on the outside purple on the inside. I used to get so much poo poo for it. Thing was a tank and surprisingly fast.

And then my first bike was a 92 CBR that was pink and purple. I also got a ton of poo poo for that. I was pretty broke at the time and was wearing a teal sweatshirt and a plaid Jansport backpack from goodwill when some kids in an RX8 pulled up next to me at the light and motioned for me to raise my visor. When I did the driver yelled “Nice bike...human being!” Felt good when I smoked him on the onramp.

The irony is that you'd probably be cool as gently caress wearing and driving that right now. 90s hyper-color and Jansport backpacks and all that Saved-By-The-Bell-esque stuff is getting extremely retro popular. My wife runs a vintage resale shop so I see it first hand. Ask me how much stickers from that time are going for.

$60 bucks, without shipping.