Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
1JZ lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man that thing really did have all the loving features didn't it?? I love the centre console more than I'll ever admit :allears: and the sunroof pull shade thing...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That owns so hard awesome

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This makes me really want to take my quest for a Toyota Century more seriously. If a Crown has bougie poo poo like oscillating air vents, a Century must for sure.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Crown is here :toot: and it's dirty as gently caress, I've only wiped off the grease pencil marks and port stickers.

Even the kids in the wayback get an ashtray!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This makes me really want to take my quest for a Toyota Century more seriously. If a Crown has bougie poo poo like oscillating air vents, a Century must for sure.

Centuries were the ones with the V12 weren't they?

How badly does that thing stink of Japanese durries?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You should. The Century intimidates me something fierce and I'd rather you get one and post about it instead :v:

Ferremit posted:

They were yeah, the Crown is top Toyota, the Century is top top Toyota.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 8, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The areas for the license plates seem very...prominent. Neat, weird car you got there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Newer models can come with the V12. From what I can tell most of the ones on offer have a V8.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That interior. King of this town, with my caramel Crown.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I drove by an amazing looking kei van the other day and thought of this thread. Too bad I wasn't walking by and couldn't take a photo.

In looking for more information about kei trucks I found this cool blog about Suzuki Jimnys. Unfortunately it is "in construction" but seems abandoned with the last post being from 2015. There is some neat info about late era second generation JA12/JA22 Jimnys though. There was a special edition called the "Fishing Master."

quote:

The JA22W Fishing Master was based on the XC Hardtop and was intended for people with fishing hobby. The model was equipped with waterproof seat cover, tray mats, and a ceiling mounted fishing rod holder.

It's kinda funny that there were two versions released at this time that seem so similar. I suppose the JA22 engine is slightly better. It seems like all the special editions of this era were JA22s.

Unfortunately it seems like around this time they stopped putting cool 80s graphics on the cars. If you want cool graphics it seems like you have to forgo the coil springs and get a JA71 or JA11 instead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1-4/

the seller posted:

I would give the auction ratings, but never printed them out, and couldn’t tell you for sure what they were.
:thunk: one of the important bits of info for a Japanese auction car, and can't even remember what it was?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If you havent seen it already, the MCM season finale is something really special bout buying a car in japan and importing it...

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

kimbo305 posted:

:thunk: one of the important bits of info for a Japanese auction car, and can't even remember what it was?

That means its either an R or worse a 2 or 1.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lots of AZ-1s are modified, and it seems that this one is. Doesn't that mean that it could be an R just purely from the aftermarket mods?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

I drove by an amazing looking kei van the other day and thought of this thread. Too bad I wasn't walking by and couldn't take a photo.

In looking for more information about kei trucks I found this cool blog about Suzuki Jimnys. Unfortunately it is "in construction" but seems abandoned with the last post being from 2015. There is some neat info about late era second generation JA12/JA22 Jimnys though. There was a special edition called the "Fishing Master."

It's kinda funny that there were two versions released at this time that seem so similar. I suppose the JA22 engine is slightly better. It seems like all the special editions of this era were JA22s.

Unfortunately it seems like around this time they stopped putting cool 80s graphics on the cars. If you want cool graphics it seems like you have to forgo the coil springs and get a JA71 or JA11 instead.

You can always just cut some cool graphics and apply them yourself, the shape held up so there is no weirdness with them looking out of place.

kimbo305 posted:

I asked about that in the comments, turns out he bought it off a lot. That means there is no auction grade.
Dude isn't very smart, the way he worded it was that he 'forgot' critical information rather than never had it to begin with. Geeze.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Femtosecond posted:

Lots of AZ-1s are modified, and it seems that this one is. Doesn't that mean that it could be an R just purely from the aftermarket mods?

Ya "r" stands for repaired(s), but repairs in Japan does not mean something was just broken, modifications could also trigger an R. Basically R is a crap shoot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferremit posted:

If you havent seen it already, the MCM season finale is something really special bout buying a car in japan and importing it...

I loved it. I'm not a Z guy but it reminded me of by Celica quite a lot.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Im certainly not a modern Z guy (hell, even a 300Z doesnt do anything for me) but that Fairlady harks back to the days of the original GT-R which are supremely cool in my books. And totally out of my price range.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That thing is a combination of mint and "so much room for activities!"

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So it has been a long awaited update on the Sambar and Atrai van. Here is the story, Sambar has been in port storage since Nov. waiting for the Daihatsu to get fixed. The Daihatsu has been a poo poo show, it went to a mechanic and he ordered r12 with out looking at the car ($120 ) tthat took a week. Gets the r12, tells Yoshi the car will not take any refrigerant (really dude you didn't put it in a vacuum first?????). He then jumps the compressor and it works, so he sees the fuse is blown and replaces it (this took a week to do....). Fast forward to today, he thinks the one loving computer in the car (the A/C amplifier) is bad. Part is NLA from Daihatsu. So i told Yoshi to get it on the next boat and I will deal with it over here. Can not send the entire canister of r12 because its a compressed gas. So Yoshi might just hold on to it for me until we need it again.

I am having no luck finding the part anywhere, I wonder if I need to try Malaysia (Daihatsu is crazy popular there) or maybe ShittyPostmaker can rebuild it (have to reach out to him). Will post Atrai pics when I get them.

If you feel like looking and helping an AI'r out: 91 Daihatsu Atrai (S83V) non fuel injected. A/C Amplifier PN: 88650-87511

edit: also worried about why the fuse blew, will have to look further.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So it has been a long awaited update on the Sambar and Atrai van. Here is the story, Sambar has been in port storage since Nov. waiting for the Daihatsu to get fixed. The Daihatsu has been a poo poo show, it went to a mechanic and he ordered r12 with out looking at the car ($120 ) tthat took a week. Gets the r12, tells Yoshi the car will not take any refrigerant (really dude you didn't put it in a vacuum first?????). He then jumps the compressor and it works, so he sees the fuse is blown and replaces it (this took a week to do....). Fast forward to today, he thinks the one loving computer in the car (the A/C amplifier) is bad. Part is NLA from Daihatsu. So i told Yoshi to get it on the next boat and I will deal with it over here. Can not send the entire canister of r12 because its a compressed gas. So Yoshi might just hold on to it for me until we need it again.

I am having no luck finding the part anywhere, I wonder if I need to try Malaysia (Daihatsu is crazy popular there) or maybe ShittyPostmaker can rebuild it (have to reach out to him). Will post Atrai pics when I get them.

If you feel like looking and helping an AI'r out: 91 Daihatsu Atrai (S83V) non fuel injected. A/C Amplifier PN: 88650-87511

edit: also worried about why the fuse blew, will have to look further.

I'm assuming you've already tried but you've reached out to amayama already?

You can always try http://yokohamamotors.com/index.html also, there you'd actually talk to a person (that speaks English) and they can try to source you a used amplifier. They have a parts request function. Sucks about your bad run with these so far :(

Re: Crown
It's rad as hell, and is such a good driver. It does highway speeds beautifully and is quite the difference compared to the kei vans or Rugger. It's extremely grandpa cool. I also took off that huge front plate assembly thing, much nicer appearance.

When you have the headlights on (not on in the pic) those corner lights that are on above? They light up much brighter in the direction your signal is pointing. Flip the right blinker on that corner light glows brighter white (does not blink) to give you a corner headlight in that direction. Same for the left. Who needs headlights that turn in the direction the wheel is going when you can just have a corner headlight on in the direction of your turn signal? I thought there was something wrong with the signals when a white brightness was coming from the corners when driving but it turns out its on purpose.
Things that are wrong with the Crown I've found are that the on-board OEM amplifier for the stereo is messed up somehow, the volume is extremely quiet regardless of what you ask the stereo to play. As cool as the original stereo is I planned on replacing it anyway and might as well bypass the factory amp while we're at it.
The other issue is a whine from either the power steering pump or water pump, but I'm leaning water pump since it's constant and changes with RPM. Not quite sure when the belts were done (if ever) so the water pump will get replaced anyway.

I've got an appointment tomorrow with a mobile detailer so the car should be pristine. Good thing too because I don't want to spent hours clay-baring the thing :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Might be worth trying Malaysia for Daihatsu bits, they seem to really love them out there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I probably still have an A/C amplifier from a Charade, I bet they're similar. I have all the FSMs, so you could rewire it anyway. I bet I even have the harness connector. You could always build an A/C controller with a few relays

The logic usually is run the fan and compressor but turn off with:
too-low pressure
too-high pressure
frozen evaporator
at WOT
engine RPM too low

And I think always run the fan(s) when the A/C button is depressed and send idle-up via a VSV solenoid.

I think the Charade ones turned off the little A/C light when there was a trouble condition. Hilariously, one junkyard car I saw used 4 relays and some diodes and basically replicated the setup without RPM sensing.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

DJ Commie posted:

I probably still have an A/C amplifier from a Charade, I bet they're similar. I have all the FSMs, so you could rewire it anyway. I bet I even have the harness connector. You could always build an A/C controller with a few relays

The logic usually is run the fan and compressor but turn off with:
too-low pressure
too-high pressure
frozen evaporator
at WOT
engine RPM too low

And I think always run the fan(s) when the A/C button is depressed and send idle-up via a VSV solenoid.

I think the Charade ones turned off the little A/C light when there was a trouble condition. Hilariously, one junkyard car I saw used 4 relays and some diodes and basically replicated the setup without RPM sensing.

K hold on to that stuff Ill be hitting you up in March when the van gets here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unsure where to really post this, but this thread might have the most people in the area of knowledge.

Has anyone rented a FRS from Toyota in Japan? I'm going in April from the 10th to the 20th, it seems like renting a FRS is much, much cheaper compared to going out and doing the Fun2Drive thing in Hakone. That's not to say that I couldn't drive Hakone itself, but I was planning on going to see the Honda museum at Motegi.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 14, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Unsure where to really post this, but this thread might have the most people in the area of knowledge.

Has anyone rented a FRS from Toyota in Japan? I'm going in April from the 10th to the 20th, it seems like renting a FRS is much, much cheaper compared to going out and doing the Fun2Drive thing in Hakone. That's not to say that I couldn't drive Hakone itself, but I was planning on going to see the Honda museum at Motegi.
Not an FRS, but I've used Toyota, and it was fine. Bear in mind that depending where you rent from, the actual shop staff may be limited in their English, but you can do all the booking direct with Toyota easily enough.

Not much to remark on it, really. Just like renting a car anywhere else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How about from https://www.omoren.com/en/ :v:
Sounds like Toyota doesn't rent manual cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, the 86 my friend rented from Toyota was manual.

Omoren is one I've been meaning to look into myself, they have some weird pricing stuff though (12hrs in an AE86 for 13k yen, but then "please gently caress off" pricing of a million for 24hr periods?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Huh, I'll need to try digging through more of the Toyota rental locations, I kept getting 'a vehicle isn't available in this configuration' when choosing a manual 86.

The Omoren locations with the cool cars are a fair train ride outside Tokyo, for the most part. The really hard part is choosing which car to rent.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Well, the 86 my friend rented from Toyota was manual.

Omoren is one I've been meaning to look into myself, they have some weird pricing stuff though (12hrs in an AE86 for 13k yen, but then "please gently caress off" pricing of a million for 24hr periods?)

TimesCar also does car rental in Japan, including some vintages (240ZG): http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/how-to-park-you-car-in-japan/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Huh, I'll need to try digging through more of the Toyota rental locations, I kept getting 'a vehicle isn't available in this configuration' when choosing a manual 86.

The Omoren locations with the cool cars are a fair train ride outside Tokyo, for the most part. The really hard part is choosing which car to rent.
Yeah, it's a bit annoying trying to determine which Toyota branches have 86s, I expect calling them may be a better way to do it.

Omoren is one for me to have a look at, yeah. Distance is fine, I'll be travelling around a bit while there anyway. Last time I was there I went to Akita in order to get a stuffed toy Akita just because.

TimesCar also does car rental in Japan, including some vintages (240ZG): http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/how-to-park-you-car-in-japan/
Cool, will give them a look.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:toot:

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, 2.4 turbo diesel, 5 speed manual 2 door with A/C. Got a pretty killer price on it too.

Original wheels without a lift!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 16, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

2.4 turbo diesel

It is as unkillable and gutless as every other Toyota I4 from the 80s... and still manufactured.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

It is as unkillable and gutless as every other Toyota I4 from the 80s... and still manufactured.

My favorite kind!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Actually, there is a point worth considering, the 3.0 TDI Cruisers might be legal for you to import this year or next year?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Actually, there is a point worth considering, the 3.0 TDI Cruisers might be legal for you to import this year or next year?

Should be this year since it looks like they came out in 1993. Depends on what month they started putting them in though, right now we're on January. Although with how long it takes to get everything settled for shipping you can realistically shop a month or two ahead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I don't know what the years or specs are, but I know they're getting on for something like 50% more power and torque over the 2.4.

Paging Ferremit?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Screw that, wait until you can get a 95 with a 24 valve 4.2 turbo diesel. 70 more hp, and 100ftlbs more torque.

E: You might find this to be interesting reading for that 2L-TE though: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ideas-for-improving-the-2lte.680759/

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Screw that, wait until you can get a 95 with a 24 valve 4.2 turbo diesel. 70 more hp, and 100ftlbs more torque.

E: You might find this to be interesting reading for that 2L-TE though: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ideas-for-improving-the-2lte.680759/

Hell yeah I do find it interesting, fresh links to repair/service manuals. Thank you very much, saves me a bunch of time looking for this stuff later.

In not-my-stuff-news:

$760 bucks for an old firetruck. I'd probably never buy one but I can see all sorts of potential for something like this. So cheap.