Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't know China had so many issues with the Insane Clown Posse.

China very much respect FAM I LY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

mobby_6kl posted:

So where are our HK goons at? I know there are at least a couple but they seem to be hiding somewhere. I'm in town until the 3rd.

Been away. Lunch or a coffee tomorrow? How best to contact you?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Simplefish meet me for supper.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

French Canadian posted:

Does anyone want me to buy them a drink in HK when I'm there on the 15th of Jan? I am not a highly paid finance man or anything. Just a dumb American passing through and I have a day to kill in HK (but I don't want to spend it all with a goon...just an hour or two).

I don't care if it's authentic HK dive bar, or expat lamborghini parking lot bar. Just want to slam some suds.

Same goes for you but on the 15th

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

Simplefish meet me for supper.

When are you coming through town dude?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just got back as well. But I have a banquet to attend tomorrow evening

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

simplefish posted:

When are you coming through town dude?

realistically probably not for a few years.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Does it still take forever to get a background check for Americans? Do I need to get the federal one? They want me to start in March and that's like really soon, you know? I havent jumped through these hoops for years at this point (never needed a new background check to renew my Korean visa.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol that doesn't sound like a practical visa application timeline.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah, not in the slightest right?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If all you have left to do is the background check, it's not that unreasonable. It depends on where you live, unfortunately. I got mine done in Maine at the State level and it took about a week and I got it notarized and authenticated a day after I got it. It was in China about two weeks after I applied for it. My co-worker got his done in Kansas at the State level, same thing. My other co-worker got his done at the State level in California and his application was denied because they said it had to be done at the federal level and he needed an FBI check. This varies consulate to consulate. Not surprisingly, no one has ever accused China of being organized, logical or easy to deal with.

The big thing with applying for visas is always the physical, in my opinion. That takes most people forever, because it needs to be notarized as well. You can take your diploma and your background check to the Secretary of State and get them authenticated and notarized in a morning. Now if you live in El Paso and you need to get to Austin, that's far from ideal, but my family is only a few hours from Augusta so I made a day out of it.

One good thing now is that you can get your Letter of Invitation in a PDF in your email, so that's one less thing you have a wait a week for in the process. Once you have your Letter of Invitation, you're only about a week away from having an actual Z visa in your passport.

If it takes you one week to get the State background check, then a day to authenticate and notarize it, it could be in the mail by the 15th of January. Let's say it arrives January 22nd in China, and that was the very last thing you needed to do. It should take about two weeks to offer you a Letter of Invitation, so let's say you have that by February 5th. You then have another week to get your Z visa, which would be February 12th. Spring Festival might throw a wrench into all of this, don't know how that works with consulates in the States to be honest.

tl;dr: it's not unreasonable if that's the last thing you have to do and you need it done at the State level. In fact, even starting now isn't entirely unreasonable if you have your poo poo together, or if someone working with you has their poo poo together. I got someone over in 6 weeks a while back on a Z visa. It is unreasonable if you're working with a group of people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing, which is usually a...er, pretty safe bet for when you're coming to China. Either way, good luck.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Thanks, at least that makes it sound possible.

Except this is what I'm worried about

The Great Autismo! posted:

My other co-worker got his done at the State level in California and his application was denied because they said it had to be done at the federal level and he needed an FBI check. This varies consulate to consulate. Not surprisingly, no one has ever accused China of being organized, logical or easy to deal with.
If there was ever one single thing Korean immigration ever did right it was being consistent on that one thing, so at least I knew I was in for a long wait with that.

But oh well, I guess I'll just get both and fall back on the state one if I cant get the FBI one in time (very likely, took me over a month last time). Otherwise, I can't think of what else would take any more time. I have my passport and a copies of my degree, I know where to go to get it apostilled and I've gone through the notarize/apostille thing a couple times. I don't live someplace massive so yeah it was always just a day trip for me. I guess I'll run out and get the background checks Monday and hope for the best.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm in Shanghai in 10 days for work training, and then I'm moving to Suzhou for a year. Does anyone have anything to say about that area (warnings, recommendations, best laowai hangouts), or should I just assume wikitravel is up to date for the area?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

Thanks, at least that makes it sound possible.

Except this is what I'm worried about

If there was ever one single thing Korean immigration ever did right it was being consistent on that one thing, so at least I knew I was in for a long wait with that.

But oh well, I guess I'll just get both and fall back on the state one if I cant get the FBI one in time (very likely, took me over a month last time). Otherwise, I can't think of what else would take any more time. I have my passport and a copies of my degree, I know where to go to get it apostilled and I've gone through the notarize/apostille thing a couple times. I don't live someplace massive so yeah it was always just a day trip for me. I guess I'll run out and get the background checks Monday and hope for the best.

yo I forgot the step where they have to be authenticated by the Chinese consulate also now. That adds a few days but you can expedite it. You can do it at https://www.mychinavisa.com. My bad.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

When I end up booking my flight to China do I gotta get a round trip ticket? I swear I remember some countries not allowing you to move there on a one way ticket but I'm probably just talking out my rear end and have no idea what I'm on about.

yo I forgot the step where they have to be authenticated by the Chinese consulate also now. That adds a few days but you can expedite it. You can do it at https://www.mychinavisa.com. My bad.

Thanks :) That's the part where it looks like things get a little different from Korean immigration. If I don't use a service like that, do I have to actually drive down to the consulate? Or is it a thing where I just mail them all my documents together with my passport and wait a bit?

So far I've got my degree, my contract signed, some form about not having diseases or getting deported from China signed, a picture and a copy of my passport sent to the university, and I sent out my fingerprints to both the state and the fbi for both background checks (and got a county one as a backup I guess.)

Gotta get my old boss to send a letter saying that I worked there and stuff, not sure exactly what that's about or what the requirements are for what I need from him. Emailed him anyway.

So, if I'm understanding the process, I just gotta wait now for the letter from my old boss/background check then drive down to the secretary of state for an apostille. Then, get the invitation and stuff from the university and send/take this to the Chinese consulate, wait to see if I get my visa, and that's that right? I'm not missing anything?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 9, 2018

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

you only need the return ticket if you're getting like a tourist visa and probably not even then??? I assume you're getting a work visa so a 1 way ticket is fine.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 10, 2018

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

BrainDance posted:

When I end up booking my flight to China do I gotta get a round trip ticket? I swear I remember some countries not allowing you to move there on a one way ticket but I'm probably just talking out my rear end and have no idea what I'm on about.

One way ticket is fine! I just finished my Z-visa process and I don't have to do a round trip.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
when you arrive, please post your comical misadventures in the other china thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790448

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

Thanks :) That's the part where it looks like things get a little different from Korean immigration. If I don't use a service like that, do I have to actually drive down to the consulate? Or is it a thing where I just mail them all my documents together with my passport and wait a bit?

So far I've got my degree, my contract signed, some form about not having diseases or getting deported from China signed, a picture and a copy of my passport sent to the university, and I sent out my fingerprints to both the state and the fbi for both background checks (and got a county one as a backup I guess.)

Gotta get my old boss to send a letter saying that I worked there and stuff, not sure exactly what that's about or what the requirements are for what I need from him. Emailed him anyway.

So, if I'm understanding the process, I just gotta wait now for the letter from my old boss/background check then drive down to the secretary of state for an apostille. Then, get the invitation and stuff from the university and send/take this to the Chinese consulate, wait to see if I get my visa, and that's that right? I'm not missing anything?

this differs province to province, I've got a really strong handle on what needs to be done in Liaoning and tianjin, your province may vary, I'd honestly suggest talking to the people you're going to be working with and crossing your fingers that they have their poo poo together and they know exactly what needs to be done.

if they don't, make sure you post about it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ladron posted:

when you arrive, please post your comical misadventures in the other china thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790448

Oh for sure I am hoping this will be a return to form for me just without as much booze. But jesus how many China threads are there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Any thread a Chinese person has ever seen has been an inseperable China thread for 5,000 years.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrainDance posted:

Oh for sure I am hoping this will be a return to form for me just without as much booze. But jesus how many China threads are there?

not nearly enough.

start with a recap of your korea adventures. I'll make popcorn

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ladron posted:

not nearly enough.

start with a recap of your korea adventures. I'll make popcorn

Nahhhh, that's fine. But I appreciate the interest ladron I really do.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My coworker is taking a group of students to Beijing in March. Which VPNs are working for people right now?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Try the one Lowtax is shilling for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nord doesn't work here. Express and vypr are both still functional for me.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Astrill has been consistently 'fine' for two years. Even when Express and others went down, about half of the Astrill servers still worked.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

No poo poo right, I would've come over from Korea all the time if I didn't have to pay for a visa.

this aged well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As a place to visit and eat six meals a day, not to live in? I still think China is perfectly fine in that context.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrainDance posted:

Nahhhh, that's fine. But I appreciate the interest ladron I really do.

np, I'm addicted to misery

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

a7m2 posted:

Astrill has been consistently 'fine' for two years. Even when Express and others went down, about half of the Astrill servers still worked.

same

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Thanks, guys!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Everything in Shenzhen is tiled I realized. Outsides of buildings. Toilet, stairs, ceiling. But the old tiles don't seem to fall off the buildings so good job I guess.

And I did a hike from Dongchong to Chenpai along the rocky coast with a fishing boat return trip. Recommended highly.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

They seem to think just my county/city background checks will be fine. That doesn't sound right to me, but they're the only ones I wont be waiting on for the next few weeks so.... maybe? I guess? They showed me someone else's background check as an "example" (sketchy but whatever) who would have had to send it to the same consulate and it was just a city one.

Does that make even a little bit of sense?

if they don't, make sure you post about it

Yeah I think they don't, since this dude cant seem to figure out how to open a pdf.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's China. There are no rules and nothing makes sense.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
welcome to china. We’ve all been here for years and still can’t figure out how this country puts on its allegorical pants in the morning

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

welcome to china. We’ve all been here for years and still can’t figure out how this country puts on its allegorical pants in the morning

pants are fascism

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

pants are fascism

help help there are literal fascists in the china threads

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

BrainDance posted:

They seem to think just my county/city background checks will be fine. That doesn't sound right to me, but they're the only ones I wont be waiting on for the next few weeks so.... maybe? I guess? They showed me someone else's background check as an "example" (sketchy but whatever) who would have had to send it to the same consulate and it was just a city one.

As someone who just finished the visa process this week, featuring the following adventures:

Agent disappeared mid process for weeks, new agent appeared magically to grovel when I contacted the boss.

3 day turnaround at visa agency - lol no paperwork 5 days+ from consulate.

Consulate stamps one paper instead of all of them. Rules in China want more stamps? No!! Because we'll lose face if we go back and add a stamp now.

Province rules changed midprocess, new documents needed that promise you'll retake the medical tests you already took in your own country. Don't forget stamp for your now unnecessary documents. Especially the polio and black plague check.

Province rules changed again a week later, quick, courier new documents.

Stamp was off center, find more stamps.

And the grand finale: the very tired official visa lady explaining that she couldn't be certain until later if my work permit was good until later.. because Chinese agents had been dumping all their paperwork to the capital's embassy instead of the right cities, because the embassy is the most important place. And they won't read the guide. This is causing a massive backlog of broken/missing permits.

I got it 7 days before I'm flying out and I started back in September.

All I can say is pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

help help there are literal fascists in the china threads

Yeah we already know you post here.

Good thing about China's disorganization is that if your company is legit, they can fix whatever bullshit happens even after you arrive. It took like eight months to get my work visa but it happened in the end since my company, for all its faults, did not screw around with fake work permits or anything like that.