Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Farewell speedfriends, I had a good time with this AGDQ and hope to see you again in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, it's not the Odyssey run we wanted, but it looked like gdq redirected to something...

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Good night everyone see you in June!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love you all.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

HonorableTB posted:

Goodbye to all my friends. Not just speedfriends, but real, legit friends. Join the discord, and it's been an honor to shitpost with you all for ALMOST 1400 PAGES

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

HonorableTB posted:

They're heading further and further west.

AGDQ 2019 in Seattle you heard it first

sgdq has been in Minnesota since 2015
it was in Colorado before that

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

slev posted:

They are actually moving back to Uyama's living room

I miss when it was at the Y.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Goonight, you beautiful speedfriends! Join the Discord so we can all keep in touch!

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Goodnight everyone!! Sleep well and have a good fun time until SGDQ, or maybe even ESA??? :love:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
AGDQ 2019 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

grand theft grotto posted:

Turns out that he stole all the cancer money to make a home for speedrunners everywhere... so beautiful.

coureurs de vitesse sans frontières

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Your Computer posted:

Good thread, good times
I'm sorry I never quoted my sources, the truth is I didn't keep track of them :negative: Needless to say, they came from reddit. Thanks for being patient as I copypasted the same dumb jokes over and over for an entire week.

:sympathy: to all speed friends. I'm looking forward to SGDQ with all of you in the summer!

We love you, Your Computer! :love: There was no doubt your sources were real.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
das vadanya, gamers

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Goodnight speedfriends and see you June 24th and in the Discord. :wave: :glomp:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

You're still here? It's over. Go home. Go.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

time to get some motherfuckin sleep

tomorrow will be a full day of video game playing, catching up on all that awful block stuff i missed(ARABIAN NIGHTS), and maybe even some discord

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

raditts posted:

Well, it's not the Odyssey run we wanted, but it looked like gdq redirected to something...

Now it can tentpole SGDQ at least.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
goodnight and goodbye

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

HonorableTB posted:

Sad reacts only.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The Lobster posted:

Serious time guys. My friend Eli is 13 and has brain cancer. He loves getting cards from all around the world, it's his "thing." Please draw a poop emoji on it, that will make him even happier! I'm going to be posting this every so often throughout the week.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1807308812843058/ (edit: link might not work for some people)

Eli Clark
499 Montgomery Hill Rd
Walker, WV 26180

One more time for good measure

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

:smithicide:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

mandatory lesbian posted:

holy poo poo, sub-only mode was a fuckin' genius move

if it really was the subs that put it over then that's worrying. i would have expected more donations considering how much Twitch grows each year, so if they are getting less then that's concerning for the future of the event.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
lmao and of course the dude GDQ hosted now has chat spam full of slurs

seinfeld.gif

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
thanks to everyone, good bye, and see you again June 24th! :unsmith:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CJ posted:

if it really was the subs that put it over then that's worrying. i would have expected more donations considering how much Twitch grows each year, so if they are getting less then that's concerning for the future of the event.

can you dress this up a bit more so I can copy paste this on the ground floor of the SGDQ thread please

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://pastebin.com/hZhwfuhX

Added a bunch of details while I was on the plane. Should give you a good idea of what the event is like?

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I asked this a little earlier in the thread but now it's slowed down (as most people have left :( ) I'll ask it again:

Okay serious question, and I apologise that I’m bringing this up again: if I want to start speedrunning a game, but it’s not very popular so I can’t find many resources on routes or discussion about it, what would be the best way to learn it? Just find whatever speedrun videos I can and try to do what that person is doing?

I honestly don’t know much about speed running or the community beyond GDQ events but I always want to start trying to do a specific game that I’ve mentioned before in the thread.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

Donations are going to keep trickling in over the next few days, I would expect a few thousand more at the very least.

Some banks can also take awhile to process donations from debit cards. I had a $30 donation a few years ago that didn't actually get to them until almost 2 days after the event ended.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

nerdbot posted:

the fact that chat subs are what pushed it over is the icing on the cake to me lmao

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Studio posted:

https://pastebin.com/hZhwfuhX

Added a bunch of details while I was on the plane. Should give you a good idea of what the event is like?

I asked Oyster about budgeting for a future GDQ a few months ago and got more or less the same recommended figure, very nice.

Also this is great advice in general and anyone wanting to attend should read.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

RoboJoe posted:

I asked this a little earlier in the thread but now it's slowed down (as most people have left :( ) I'll ask it again:

Okay serious question, and I apologise that I’m bringing this up again: if I want to start speedrunning a game, but it’s not very popular so I can’t find many resources on routes or discussion about it, what would be the best way to learn it? Just find whatever speedrun videos I can and try to do what that person is doing?

I honestly don’t know much about speed running or the community beyond GDQ events but I always want to start trying to do a specific game that I’ve mentioned before in the thread.

basically yeah that

send any DMs or PMs to the people who posted any videos asking if they can help

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Bye everyone! It's been a great week! See you all in June! (My b-day's the 27th! :D)

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I kind of wish I hadn't spent more time trying to catch up than I did posting, but the marathon was a fun watch and this thread was a font of goof and merriment and I love it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Farewell goons.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Can I join the Discord if I never have any intention of speed running

I use these events as Let's Plays pretty much

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Shadow225 posted:

the one getting posted here is more for these kinds of people

there is an estalished one for people who do speedrun (or at least post in the year round thread)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
:eyepop: 8 days for $240

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

i don't think it's gonna be a discord about doing speedruns, more just a hangout place with maybe some emphasis on watching good game streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

:eyepop: 8 days for $240

Yea that's like staying at a Day's Inn

• Locked thread