Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Tried to re-do one of my earlier pieces, kept it simple but it's nothing really:

I haven't done that much recently but here's another thing:

Going to try to do more drawing this year as well as more pixelling, been finding it a bit difficult to get the motivation to do it though. Also got a few more books and hopefully more time as well.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Scut posted:

My first attempt at working from digitized screen captures as well as my first wide pixel piece.

That's pretty good. Very 90s FMV feel.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

made some fonts. u can download here: https://pixellerjeremy.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-typefaces-724787079

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

nevermind.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 11, 2018

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Those are nice clean fonts. I need to look at how Aseprite handles fonts and whether it can take bitmap fonts easily.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm at a loss over an animation issue. I made an animation of Tetran from the Famicom version of Salamander using an AVI that I recorded with an emulator, converted to an animated GIF in VirtualDub, and then worked on in Aseprite. If I set the animation's frame duration to 17 ms, the animation appears correct in Aseprite and IrfanView, but it seems slow in a web browser (I tried Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge) or in the Windows photo viewer. If a lower the frame duration, the animation slows down instead of speeding up in a web browser, but if I increase the duration to 20 ms, the animation gets pretty close to the animation speed of the game. If I increase the frame duration higher, the animation slows down like I would expect it to. If I adjust the frame duration in another application like Photoshop, I come across the same problem. What gives?

Tetran at 0 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 17 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 20 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 25 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 30 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 60 ms frame duration:

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Most(all?) web browsers have a minimum frame speed of 0.02s for gifs and anything below that gets rounded all the way up to 0.1.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Most(all?) web browsers have a minimum frame speed of 0.02s for gifs and anything below that gets rounded all the way up to 0.1.

Fascinating. I had no idea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It used to be a whole thing, because when no valid delay was specified internet explorer didn't have a delay and would play as fast as it could (technically correct by spec) and firefox would insert a gap, so people would create gifs that they thought were fine but would end up being super fast on IE.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a browser by browser breakdown: http://nullsleep.tumblr.com/post/16524517190/animated-gif-minimum-frame-delay-browser

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This certainly took a while.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Star Man posted:

This certainly took a while.

That's awesome; reminds me of something you would see in a vertical shooter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't anyone tell him it's from Salamander Famicom/Life Force NES :ssh:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Jo is making a game about the 2016 US election debates and so I got to draw portaits of these dickbags.

The person on the left is my fictional amalgam of the moderators.

As much as I complained about having to stare at photos of Hillary and Donald to make these, I think I learned a lot about making portraits in the process.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Shark in C64 multicolour bitmap mode

Widepixel, with a universal background colour, then 3 other colours per 8x8 square.

Scut posted:

Jo is making a game about the 2016 US election debates and so I got to draw portaits of these dickbags.

As much as I complained about having to stare at photos of Hillary and Donald to make these, I think I learned a lot about making portraits in the process.

Good job avoiding making them symmetrical, easy trap to fall into.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scut posted:

They're great. Though I do feel like... your Hillary is a lot more cartoonish and exaggerated proportions and features, whereas Donald is fairly real life.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, donald kind of has a more solemn expression that makes him look a bit more dignified than Hillary in that picture. Maybe make the hair or skin more orange or something?

Have any of you people tried Pyxel edit? it's in a beta currently but quite promising. I've really fallen in love with the multi-tile paint system.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2018

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pyxel Edit is my go-to for tiling work but otherwise I'm an Aseprite convert.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
A million old-rear end BIOS fonts, free to download
https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
These are great, thanks. You can change the text mode of the website in the top right corner too! Yospos should have that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have strange hobbies.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kinda tiny, but I've got a lot of time off so I wanted to try and make a few animations, and I decided to start with this. I'm planning on roughing out the animations by silhouetting each frame before I try to add any detail - I've got 4 characters in mind, and I'm going to try and make a decent Idle, walking, and combo animation for each.

Edit - Here's a few examples of some of the missteps and test animations I made along the way -

I started toying out with how I wanted the legs to move first - I wanted the feet to stay relatively still so I made this little ball animation thingy, but I gave up on it pretty quickly since I didn't want to go through making a whole set of ball and joint animations THEN have to come back and draw on top of them again.

This is half the animation, with the frames then duplicated on reverse. I wanted the sword to slightly shift positions as she shifted down and upwards, but I'd only done half the work on that so it looks pretty rubbery. That said, I really like how she's moving. I just used very flat colors to fill in the shapes, once I'm happy with the overall shift of the animation I'll come back and add details and shading. I also tried to copy-paste as little as possible, re-drawing as much of each line and shape for each frame as I could to give it a more 'organic' feel. This leads to the shapes bloating or stretching a little bit more than I'd like, but I'll adjust those later, I really like the overall effect.

Here I'd made a full second set of 'rising' frames with the sword at a different angle, but it's obviously still looking a little wonky. I think it'll be a simple fix, though, just adding a few frames of the original sword position rather than having it tilt immediately upon reaching the apex of the shift. I'll fix the sword first, then if I'm happy with that, dive back in and adjust the overall shapes, then add shading, and eventually animate the hair as well.

Redrew the sword in each frame - still kind of wobbly, and will definitely have to do something about the hilt, but I like it much more.

Alright! Went through and drew in the details frame by frame, and the sword is looking a lot better. Most of the 'bloat' is gone and the shapes stay pretty consistent throughout. The only little last thing I need to do is animate the hair, then it'll be 100% done.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 2, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your character's sword is still made of rubber and the rest of her balloons as she sinks down.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Duly noted! I tried to reduce the pant-bloat and straightened out the sword.

Left is old version, right is new. I'll tackle some hair tweaks later so it bounces a little bit, but gonna take a little break for a bit.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

testing paintover of prerendered frames from like 2-ish weeks ago? I forget how long it's been.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Lineup of the 4 classes I plan to animate - I might try and shrink the halfling a little bit, since he seems to be about the same size as the dwarf. I'll probably start tackling all of the idle animations first, since that will give me a good reference for the average framerate and a position for all the other animations to 'return' to. Plus, if I get the boring stuff out of the way, the I can look forward to animating the attacks!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
sliiiiiick, the rigid angles remind me a little of petscii art

Diabetes Forecast posted:

testing paintover of prerendered frames from like 2-ish weeks ago? I forget how long it's been.
Maybe try bumping up the contrast in the palette? Depends on the context you wish to use these in I guess. Could you repost the reference image?

I wanted some relaxing stuff to draw during winter downtime. These are all 4 frame animations and I'm rather pleased with how much you can get out of so few frames. Normally I find animation to be a chore I avoid but these are fun so far.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

I need this to be a real game asap, the robots are cute as heck. Are the robots on the bottom left firing or being fire upon?

I've been wrestling with the halfling all day, trying to get the animation to feel right. I think I'm close, but I've been staring at it so long I can't see if anything looks odd anymore.

Edit - I think he's finally done. If something jumps out at me later I'll tweak it. - I'm considering making the left dagger sway less, and I think his chest gets a bit jumbled but overall pretty happy with it.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 7, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
These weren't as big of a pain as I though they were going to be.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

McKilligan posted:

Are the robots on the bottom left firing or being fire upon?
The ones I think you mean, with the sparks jumping out, are getting hit. The ones just to the right of that are making a melee attack but it kinda looks like a 90s hip hop dance move.

Making each character have a different style of animation is a good idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This looks so much better than the 1st go-round. Nice work.

vv cannot unsee

taqueso fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 8, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McKilligan posted:

I need this to be a real game asap, the robots are cute as heck. Are the robots on the bottom left firing or being fire upon?

I've been wrestling with the halfling all day, trying to get the animation to feel right. I think I'm close, but I've been staring at it so long I can't see if anything looks odd anymore.

Edit - I think he's finally done. If something jumps out at me later I'll tweak it. - I'm considering making the left dagger sway less, and I think his chest gets a bit jumbled but overall pretty happy with it.

Everything sways except the hair, which makes it look like a big drumstick glued to the head

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Tunicate posted:

Everything sways except the hair, which makes it look like a big drumstick glued to the head

Quick and Dirty hair fix -

If I actually stick with this project and get enough of these drat things made, I'd like to actually turn them into a side-scroller hack & slash a la Golden Axe or Double Dragon, but with animation closer to Metal Slug. I'm really trying to sell the right attitude for each character's animation -
  • The swords(wo)man moves slowly, but has wide powerful strikes
  • The Halfling is close range and extremely quick and dodgy
  • The Dwarf is slow, solid, and tanky
  • The wizard is fragile and deals ranged damage from the rear.

Anyway - here have a whole bunch of varying vibrating dwarves. I took out the hammer since specifically animating a rigid object is best tackled on it's own, but I'll be tossing that in soon. The Swordsman and Halfling are both 12 frames, but I bumped this one up to 16 since I wanted him to have a more slow, steady pace.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 8, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
IT'S SO BIG

...and probably animates slowly in a browser even at 20ms per frame because it's 1.88 MB in size. Though it seems fine in IrfanView, Aseprite, and Photoshop and Crystal Core is about as big of a file. Weird.

edit: oh, if I give it a black background, it plays at a faster speed. I suppose it's because it doesn't have as many transparent pixels to process?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 8, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

McKilligan posted:

Quick and Dirty hair fix -

I get that the blade is being foreshortened, but it really just looks like it's growing and shrinking.

The sprite is quite pillow-shaded, particularly the hair and upper body. The animation 'boil' could be minimised by making shading more consistent frame to frame (there's no reason for the highlight on the left foot to move so much, for example) and not having details like fingers appear and disappear.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah the left foot animation makes it look like she's stubbing out a cig

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Things that shouldn't be squishy like metal are still squishy.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Today's Dwarfwork -

After I add the final highlights and details I'll also iron out any 'bloat' and anchor his feet a little more more. There's a lot of little things to tweak and fix, but overall I like how he moves. I might add a frame or two at the apex of each animation to slow him down more.

Him and the wizard are going to be a bitch to make running animations for, since their gear is assssymetrical :/

As for the fighter, I kinda like the rotation on the left-foot, but maybe it is a bit much - I'll go back and really fine-tune her much later, including making the fingers clearer and making the foot rotate less. That said, I do kind of like the 'squishy' factor of these animations - I think that's a byproduct of redrawing each line frame-by-frame, I think it gives it kind of a nice organic feel, even if the metal bits look a little...soft. It might be lazy, but I think I can just chalk that up to the kind of aesthetic that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Him definitely reminds me of Ralph Bakshi's LotR