Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this isn't just the video though

it's in the minion descriptions

there's a square employee who sat down and thought up a background story about a loveless marriage between vegetables, a runaway pumpkin butler, adultery with an eggplant who wanted to be a wizard, an unwanted child prince and his missing leek love interest, and a court jester who didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps

this exists, and it is not a fan invention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Our pattern is to have the tanks go N and E and healers go S and W then circle about 90 degrees clockwise, and DPS spread out around Exdeath's general area. The issue that I'm seeing with that is that one of the tanks is out of healer range and sometimes gets very low or dies if I don't get Excogiaton on them at some point; Fey Union only helps so much. If I'm not mistaken, the Holy itself only hits for about 10k if everyone is stacked up, so that doesn't need much healing. Hell, regen from WD and Medica II would probably suffice.

Positions are good, that's what we do and as long as a dps doesn't wander in front of the tanks/healers it works fine.

As long as everyone is full HP after the initial black hole hit fire 3 shouldn't be enough to kill them unless they're standing too close to someone or eating a black hole. Roll hots during black hole and indom as you collapse for holy should be enough to survive, then etacs succor for white hole. If you're doing more healing than that during black hole then either your co-healer is slacking or people are eating other people's fire 3 or black holes.

Or they haven't slotted vit rightside, in which case good luck surviving meteor.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TFRazorsaw posted:

there's a square employee who sat down and thought up a background story about a loveless marriage between vegetables, a runaway pumpkin butler, adultery with an eggplant who wanted to be a wizard, an unwanted child prince and his missing leek love interest, and a court jester who didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps

Look, you're not going to convince any of us to play ffxiv more. If you're in this thread this deep, chances are you're already invested. :colbert:

(I love my insane catgirl simulator. :allears:)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Now I want a Leek Maid minion.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m not sure I’m wild about how some of this scion search stuff is being handled.

Thancred punching Emannellain was great tho

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I’m not sure I’m wild about how some of this scion search stuff is being handled.

I just want to express my thanks, TFRazorsaw. It brings joy to my greasy little black heart to see you and your fellow sprouts working your way up through the game. It really never gets old and makes me appreciate the story beats (big and small) more.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just want to express my thanks, TFRazorsaw. It brings joy to my greasy little black heart to see you and your fellow sprouts working your way up through the game. It really never gets old and makes me appreciate the story beats (big and small) more.

Immensely same. I love newbie posts ITT.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"trip reports" are popular for a reason (I like 'em too)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm. I'm not used to putting content people like on these boards.

But you're very welcome.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

Look he's had a very stressful couple of weeks and he didn't have any patience left for a whiny rich kid. He's still a good person.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

...? I said it was great.

The thing I was frustrated with is how they seem to be handling the final fate of Minfilia.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Beat O2S (which felt really good!) and now I have O1S down to a science. How hard is O3S?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rosalind posted:

Beat O2S (which felt really good!) and now I have O1S down to a science. How hard is O3S?

It's a huge step up in difficulty from those two.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
3 is much tougher than 1 and 2. It's got a whole lotta mechanics and asks for a decent amount of communication. There's not a ton of room for error like there is in O1S.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Mad Snake Eaters (with Broken Dream) finally downed NED, just in time for the next tier.

The hardest part of this tier was actually the journey to getting together a full group. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

...? I said it was great.

The thing I was frustrated with is how they seem to be handling the final fate of Minfilia.

That's what's got him so stressed out, you see. Poor guy.

Yeah a lot of that subplot felt pretty rushed. I suspect that after 3.0 was finalized they realized they had more on their plate than they could reasonably deal with, and the bits that aren't directly tied in to the Dragonsong War kind of got the short end of the stick.

SonicRulez posted:

3 is much tougher than 1 and 2. It's got a whole lotta mechanics and asks for a decent amount of communication. There's not a ton of room for error like there is in O1S.

Is my group the only one that hated going back to farm O3S any more once we were able to jump directly into O4S? Because mine sure was. Even when you know the fight you still kind of have to pay attention to it, so zoning out and doing O3S casually doesn't work very well.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 14, 2018

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Brainamp posted:

The hardest part of this tier was actually the journey to getting together a full group. :v:

this is the true difficulty of savage raiding, for sure.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, how could I possibly forget:

Let us all sing the praises of Conveniently-Placed Nutkin

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, how could I possibly forget:

Even his Verminion action is a dig on this incident. He'll never live it down.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Spitballing here, but I hope the new tomestone is Allagan Tomestones OF SCIENCE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The part where Alphinaud talks about how vividly he remembers naked Y'shtola and she's like, oh, really???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leofish posted:

I hope the new tomestone is Allagan Tomestones OF SCIENCE!

It's Mendacity.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's Mendacity.

I wish this post was mendacious. I must have missed the announcement of the name. Oh well, maybe next time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That final battle with Nidhogg made the most emotional I've been in days. DAYS.

I even felt a pang of sadness for Nidhogg himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The post Heavsenward stuff was pretty good, shame about the WOD though.

I'm still mad. :argh:

TFRazorsaw posted:

Easily (one of) the best MSQ fight(s) in the game.

Leofish posted:

The part where Alphinaud talks about how vividly he remembers naked Y'shtola and she's like, oh, really???

Thancred having his nudity censored by a conveniently placed Nutkin.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 14, 2018

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
There is also a Mandragora Prince out there but it is not clear if he is connected to the Tomato King's line or if he is from a rival house. His FATE description is great though:

"While little is known about mandragoras, what is known tends to be quite disturbing.

Such is the case with the Mandragora Prince, who is rumored to journey to the sites of slaughters so it might feed off the blood-soaked loam.

It is probably best to not let it feed off the blood-soaked loam."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah the FATEs have amazingly dry writing, it's beautiful. Is that a localization thing?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I know these characters were in 12, but I can't remember if they had the full backstory.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nuru posted:

I know these characters were in 12, but I can't remember if they had the full backstory.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Onion_Queen#Bestiary_entry

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

Yeah the FATEs have amazingly dry writing, it's beautiful. Is that a localization thing?

Yeah. Koji and company have more-or-less free reign to stuff flavor text with bad jokes. I don't have a link or anything, but I've heard that the Japanese playerbase heard of our silly gags and asked for their writing to be funnier too.

Think my favorite's still Blood Augur Hex Magick in southern Thanalan. Or Nine-Ilm Snails in upper La Noscea, or...

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Today I learned that the Aery is one of the hardest dungeons in the game. Nidhogg can be an absolute monster if your dps are undergeared.

Edit: Heavy thrusts is for nerds and so are DOTs in general. Those charts only cover the Nidhogg fight.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 14, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Quake me up before you oghommoro is a great one too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Jesus, you're trucking through the 3.X content.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

Yeah. Koji and company have more-or-less free reign to stuff flavor text with bad jokes. I don't have a link or anything, but I've heard that the Japanese playerbase heard of our silly gags and asked for their writing to be funnier too.

Think my favorite's still Blood Augur Hex Magick in southern Thanalan. Or Nine-Ilm Snails in upper La Noscea, or...

I still want to know which intern they allowed to translate the long FATE chain in Churning Mists because everything about the writing on those is godawful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The text on the Firebird mount cracked me up. Koji has a lot of fun in this game.

Thundarr posted:

Is my group the only one that hated going back to farm O3S any more once we were able to jump directly into O4S? Because mine sure was. Even when you know the fight you still kind of have to pay attention to it, so zoning out and doing O3S casually doesn't work very well.

It also feels really long to me because of how many phases there are.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I just got a weird jump in the MSQ. I finished out the level 46 one, turned it in, dinged 47 and realized the next MSQ is 49. Oh dear. Should I just do my daily Guildhest and dungeon and spam up PotD in between?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TFRazorsaw posted:

It is a sad moment and nidhogg really is a tragic character. He has his love that he has known for thousands of years stripped from him and murdered in front of him before having his own eyes ripped from his skull. He had to then watch via his severed eye as generations of dragoons slaughtered his brood while the other laid buried with the very man who stole them from him to begin with.

His rage is justified if you look at it from his perspective. It’s just been a short time relative to a great wyrm’s life. In the end, that thirst for vengeance and rage was all he had left, but enough to keep him still connected to this realm. Even his own brother turned on him and his father refused to help or even talk to him. It’s a lovely position to be in for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Saxophone posted:

I just got a weird jump in the MSQ. I finished out the level 46 one, turned it in, dinged 47 and realized the next MSQ is 49. Oh dear. Should I just do my daily Guildhest and dungeon and spam up PotD in between?

Yeah do some side quests, challenge log stuff, fates, daily roulettes etc and you’ll get there in no time.

Back in 2.0 this gap was filled by running fates in north thanalan and hoping that dark devices could spawn so you could sit on top of the house to farm adds.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Shy posted:

EU? Till Jan 19.

Thanks

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I'm still a level 40 scrub but is it just me or does the displayed gathering rates seem higher than reality? I get 80% on ramhorn zuccinis on Louisoix but it seems like 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Probability is a bitch.