Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I'd hold off on The Martians. Not because it's bad, but because it's so different. There's extra Mars Trilogy stuff (including alternate timelines with the same cast), but also just about any other KSR Mars-related short fiction - most of which is interesting and good (particularly the 1985 novella Green Mars), but the whole thing hangs together pretty loosely and feels sort of scatterbrained. Read it when you get nostalgic for the Mars Trilogy in a year or two, not immediately after.

Aurora is a solid recommendation. 2312 is also good.

I'll also go to bat for Antarctica, which features really incredible (and true) historical vignettes of early Antarctic exploration, along side the roughly present-day fictional story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Yoon Ha Lee writes fanfic regularly even now, and Ninefox Gambit and Raven Strategem are really very good.

what are yoon ha lee's fandoms

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
For my next fantasy read, I can't decide if I want to start with The Faithful and The Fallen series by John Gwynne, or Stormlight by Sanderson. I'll probably read both eventually, but I'd appreciate if someone would help with my decision paralysis for now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

For my next fantasy read, I can't decide if I want to start with The Faithful and The Fallen series by John Gwynne, or Stormlight by Sanderson. I'll probably read both eventually, but I'd appreciate if someone would help with my decision paralysis for now.

I don't know the other but Stormlight is unfinished and will be for ages. Skip it for now!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just read a short blurb on The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi

I don't know anything about the author, but it sounded interesting. Any opinions on it?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know the other but Stormlight is unfinished and will be for ages. Skip it for now!

This doesn't bother me much unless it's some deal where there's not much released yet, but the 3 main books are pretty big aren't they? Should be enough to hold me over until I want a break from it I'd imagine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, the Faithful guy probably needs your money and Amazon reviews a lot more than Sanderson, being a self-publisher.

EDIT: Ah, was thinking of Faithless by Graham Austin-King which has good buzz around it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

This doesn't bother me much unless it's some deal where there's not much released yet, but the 3 main books are pretty big aren't they?

Yeah they're over 3,300 pages total already

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Does The Weapon Makers by A.E. Van Vogt ever amount to anything more than a stupid "we need guns to RESIST GOVERNMENT TYRANNY" screed, or should I just burn it off my list and replace it with Vonnegut's Player Piano?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megazver posted:

Well, the Faithful guy probably needs your money and Amazon reviews a lot more than Sanderson, being a self-publisher.

As a counterpoint, that probably means you need to read the Faithful guy's books a lot less.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

PupsOfWar posted:

what are yoon ha lee's fandoms
https://twitter.com/motomaratai/status/745711925367967744

His ao3 page has a lot of Angel but it varies. He's also written Murderbot fic.

also a literal answer to the question: "Active fandoms right now: Face Off, The Good Place, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Voltron: Legendary Defender, Fate/Apocrypha (we'll probably branch out to the rest of the universe)."

edit: please enjoy this short piece of fanfiction about murderbot and fanfiction.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 14, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tokamak posted:

I'll also mention The Years of Rice and Salt for a recommendation that's a little different. It's an alt-history novel where the black plague wiped out Europe and recounts the history of the world through reincarnations of the protagonists.

Seconded, this book is great and probably my favorite KSR novel.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jedit posted:

As a counterpoint, that probably means you need to read the Faithful guy's books a lot less.

Just to be clear, John Gwynne is published by Tor in the UK and Orbit in the US. Megazver has him confused with someone else.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know anything about the author, but it sounded interesting. Any opinions on it?

The book feels like Scalzi's attempt to do Cherryh's DownBelow Station's universe.

Scalzi himself is unpredictable, some of his work is real good(1st old mans war book & androids dream), other stuff not so much. Scalzi signed a new publishing contract, and
has been pumping out lots of serialized AmazonSingle stories that later get compiled into books. Never buy the individual stories, wait for the compiled books, it's much cheaper and a smoother read.

Solitair posted:

Does The Weapon Makers by A.E. Van Vogt ever amount to anything more than a stupid "we need guns to RESIST GOVERNMENT TYRANNY" screed, or should I just burn it off my list and replace it with Vonnegut's Player Piano?

There is going to be way worse stories than Weapon Makers to read in your project. Funnily the Weapon Maker stories are some of the worst Van Vogt stories out there. Vogt's infinitely superior Space Beagle book(1950) got The Weapon Makers on that nomination list for sympathy reasons.
The Hugo award selections in the classic old days were more a reason for pulp scifi authors to meet up & have fun with other writer pals than the internet democracy style Hugo awards that exist now.

If you're already cracking on your self-imposed Hugo-revisited project, modify your goal or your criteria.
I never quite understood your list anyway. You said you were thinking of reading the runner-up stories + winners, then in a later post about your project said you had added not-included in the nominations stories.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

https://twitter.com/motomaratai/status/745711925367967744

His ao3 page has a lot of Angel but it varies. He's also written Murderbot fic.

also a literal answer to the question: "Active fandoms right now: Face Off, The Good Place, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Voltron: Legendary Defender, Fate/Apocrypha (we'll probably branch out to the rest of the universe)."

edit: please enjoy this short piece of fanfiction about murderbot and fanfiction.

hell yeah

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

There is going to be way worse stories than Weapon Makers to read in your project. Funnily the Weapon Maker stories are some of the worst Van Vogt stories out there. Vogt's infinitely superior Space Beagle book(1950) got The Weapon Makers on that nomination list for sympathy reasons.
The Hugo award selections in the classic old days were more a reason for pulp scifi authors to meet up & have fun with other writer pals than the internet democracy style Hugo awards that exist now.

If you're already cracking on your self-imposed Hugo-revisited project, modify your goal or your criteria.
I never quite understood your list anyway. You said you were thinking of reading the runner-up stories + winners, then in a later post about your project said you had added not-included in the nominations stories.

Not all years since the Best Novel award was established had runner-up stories. For most of the award's history there's been an initial nomination phase, resulting in four, five or six works on a final ballot which Worldcon members voted on in a second phase. Before 1959, though, there was just one phase, which skipped the ballot and went straight from nominations to one winner. Those years have been the subject of all my posts on the Hugos in the thread recently; if I can't compare the winner to the runners-up and opine on whether it deserved to win, I'll compare it to some other contemporaries that came out that year, contemporaries that could have been runners-up if there had been a ballot.

The Weapon Makers is not on an official ballot, or so I thought. I wasn't aware that there was a story about it being up for a Hugo. You're right about there being some real stinkers ahead of me, though, so now I'll probably keep it in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Possibly thinking of The Weapon Shops of Isher which was included in the "Science Fiction Hall of Fame" anthology, basically the pre-Nebula Award Nebulas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_Fiction_Hall_of_Fame,_Volume_One,_1929%E2%80%931964

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

After spending 10+ years on my bookshelf, I'm finally getting around to finishing Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and I'm already trying to decide which of his books to pick up next. Is The Martians collection worth reading? I've heard differing opinions. Any particular KSR recommendations? Aside from The Martians, I think I'd prefer a stand-alone novel over a series for the time being.

I really liked the Martians (about 10 years ago, haven't revisited it) but it's not a great book on it's own. It's more like the extended cuts or extras on a DVD the expand the world of the Mars trilogy.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I'd hold off on The Martians. Not because it's bad, but because it's so different. There's extra Mars Trilogy stuff (including alternate timelines with the same cast), but also just about any other KSR Mars-related short fiction - most of which is interesting and good (particularly the 1985 novella Green Mars), but the whole thing hangs together pretty loosely and feels sort of scatterbrained. Read it when you get nostalgic for the Mars Trilogy in a year or two, not immediately after.

Aurora is a solid recommendation. 2312 is also good.

I'll also go to bat for Antarctica, which features really incredible (and true) historical vignettes of early Antarctic exploration, along side the roughly present-day fictional story.

Is Icehenge worth a look?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

branedotorg posted:

Its like 100 pages of interconnected short stories that feel very similar to the Mars trilogy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

branedotorg posted:

I really liked the Martians (about 10 years ago, haven't revisited it) but it's not a great book on it's own. It's more like the extended cuts or extras on a DVD the expand the world of the Mars trilogy.

I agree with this, although reading the first story set in Antarctica was really good right after reading the trilogy. Two hundred years of dramatic, sweeping future history and the creation of a utopian state, and then you think you're reading an extended cut story about how the early settlers went through all their training in Antarctica before the Ares voyage, and it ends with "So they cancelled the program."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Solitair posted:

Not all years since the Best Novel award was established had runner-up stories. For most of the award's history there's been an initial nomination phase, resulting in four, five or six works on a final ballot which Worldcon members voted on in a second phase. Before 1959, though, there was just one phase, which skipped the ballot and went straight from nominations to one winner. Those years have been the subject of all my posts on the Hugos in the thread recently; if I can't compare the winner to the runners-up and opine on whether it deserved to win, I'll compare it to some other contemporaries that came out that year, contemporaries that could have been runners-up if there had been a ballot.

The Weapon Makers is not on an official ballot, or so I thought. I wasn't aware that there was a story about it being up for a Hugo. You're right about there being some real stinkers ahead of me, though, so now I'll probably keep it in.

Like I said before, the estate of Isaac Asimov is likely to have that 1950's Hugo data you want.
Save yourself from lots of bad fiction that will make you question literacy itself, and contact the estate with a browse request.
Asimov's notes about what authors were present at each 1950s Hugo meetup would by inference get you that same data too,
any scifi authors there were 75% likely to have been nominated for that years Hugo award, bump that probability up to 90% if the scifi authors lived outside of the country where the award was presented.

Foreign language classics like Stanislaw Lem's Star Diaries (1957 original publish date) would not have been nominated for the 1957 Hugos because the English translation of it only came out in 1976,
and not many scifi readers or authors read polish, ignoring the whole Iron Curtain cold war communications embargo between Soviet sphere nations & the rest of the world.

Instead marvel that Vernor Vinge's True Names never won a award, yet got so many things right about the internet for a story published in 1981.
Back in 1981, the civilian internet didn't exist outside of major universities.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

branedotorg posted:

Yeah. You see lots of early echos of ideas that play out on a grander scale in the Mars trilogy and Aurora, but it does work as its own slightly weird and meditative thing.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I read the first book of The Faithful and The Fallen and found it to be a generic chosen one versus ancient evil story. It's not bad as such but Stormlight is a much more interesting take on epic fantasy.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Tokamak posted:

Probably Aurora.

I'll also mention The Years of Rice and Salt for a recommendation that's a little different. It's an alt-history novel where the black plague wiped out Europe and recounts the history of the world through reincarnations of the protagonists.

This book is so good.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finished reading Tantamount which was centered around Spelljammer esque “sail ships in space”. Always liked the concept even though I’ve never played a Spelljammer game and this is the first book I’ve read that uses the principle. The plot centers around the crew of the titular merchant ship who get caught up in a war between two planets. I liked it but there were two incredibly obnoxious characters who fought every time they were together.

Now I’ve started Gemmell’s Legend and I’m finding it’s old school flavor incredibly refreshing after a lot of darker, more complex modern fantasy I’ve read recently

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FastestGunAlive posted:

Finished reading Tantamount which was centered around Spelljammer esque “sail ships in space”. Always liked the concept even though I’ve never played a Spelljammer game and this is the first book I’ve read that uses the principle. The plot centers around the crew of the titular merchant ship who get caught up in a war between two planets. I liked it but there were two incredibly obnoxious characters who fought every time they were together.

Harm's Way by Colin Greenland is an excellent book with a similar aesthetic.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

XBenedict posted:

This book is so good.

I concur. It's the only KSR book I've read and enjoyed.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Harm's Way by Colin Greenland is an excellent book with a similar aesthetic.

It's not fantasy but Karl Schroeder's Virga series also has 'sailing ships in space' and is excellent, and also involves exploring a lot of weird ancient artifacts of a very strange (but still human) civilization.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Started reading Nine Princes in Amber the other day. Wife asked what I was reading and when I told her, she asked if it was about a gangbang.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know, I loved pretty much everything Scalzi put out in a very pulpy, light read kind of way, but I really disliked The Collapsing Empire. I can't remember what exactly made me dislike it, but I want to say it is something to do with the characters. Scalzi always writes smarmy nerd characters that are too cool for school, but I want to say The Collapsing Empire had characters that were just totally insufferably nerd cool and sapped all the fun out of the story.

Ah, this is what I wrote in my review on Goodreads:

quote:

I'll be honest and say that, while I enjoyed the story and the premise and will probably pick up the next book in the series, the characters just didn't do it for me. Every other word out of most of the characters' mouths was gently caress and, while I'm not diluted enough to think that swearing is not a part of standard speech, I find it hard to believe that the political elite would be slinging "gently caress off"s and "gently caress you"s around with such gusto. Sure, they are more of an elite caste that were born into their positions, but I still don't really think that they'd be quite so crude.

And what's with the constant, and I mean constant, thinking, mentioning, and performing of sex? Again, sex is normal and nothing to be ashamed of, but to always be hovering around in every chapter is a bit much.

I love Scalzi's other works, this one just didn't really do it for me.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

USMC_Karl posted:

I find it hard to believe that the political elite would be slinging "gently caress off"s and "gently caress you"s around with such gusto. Sure, they are more of an elite caste that were born into their positions, but I still don't really think that they'd be quite so crude.

lol

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Yeah, seeing transcripts of Trump's outbursts has kind of made that a little laughable. :smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Started reading Nine Princes in Amber the other day. Wife asked what I was reading and when I told her, she asked if it was about a gangbang.

"It's about gangsters trying to become king!"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hotpants.

Jesus Christ.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It isn't?

I'd better reread that then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

USMC_Karl posted:

Yeah, seeing transcripts of Trump's outbursts has kind of made that a little laughable. :smith:

Politicians have always been that vulgar and crude when off-mic (and sometimes someone leaves one hot which is always fun). LBJ was *notorious* for it. So was Nixon. Even Carter was known to get a little salty.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Politicians have always been that vulgar and crude when off-mic (and sometimes someone leaves one hot which is always fun). LBJ was *notorious* for it. So was Nixon. Even Carter was known to get a little salty.

LBJ also regularly peed on the White House, so yeah, all bets are off.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

It's not fantasy but Karl Schroeder's Virga series also has 'sailing ships in space' and is excellent, and also involves exploring a lot of weird ancient artifacts of a very strange (but still human) civilization.

This looks interesting, thanks for the rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

LBJ also regularly peed on the White House, so yeah, all bets are off.

He also complained to his tailor that his trousers were always too tight to accomodate his girthy cock and balls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNMo8kl7Ac