Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You just need an eight month spanking programme, then they'll be fine.

(For god's sake don't search "simpsons spanking" on GIS)

EDIT: Oh wow this post looks even better out of context gee thanks forum

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

They can be very fast and difficult to hit though.

children can sidestep for like half the stamina cost and get more iframes, they're fuckin busted

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

You just need an eight month spanking programme, then they'll be fine.

(For god's sake don't search "simpsons spanking" on GIS)

There's a quote feature, you know. :shrug:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

gently caress that noise

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
SuperMario64 is beatable in the sense that it's not too hard to technically beat the game, i.e. defeating bowser, but some of those stars are really, really difficult.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Decided to go back and watch the Summoning Salt videos on the Super Mario64 speed runs.

World Record Progression: Super Mario 64 - 120 star

World Record Progression: Super Mario 64 any%

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Kim Justice posted:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

They can be very fast and difficult to hit though.

They're fast, but their balance is for poo poo. As long as you have the stamina, they'll eventually faceplant like a horror movie victim.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Only thing that really irks me about Odyssey after beating Bowser is that I recall that in 64, to do a dive, you just had to hit the B button during a jump. In Odyssey, you have to first initiate a ground-pound before you can dive (i.e. hit ZL, then quickly hit Y), and I dislike it because it's easy to mess up the timing and get stuck doing a ground pound.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Max Wilco posted:

Only thing that really irks me about Odyssey after beating Bowser is that I recall that in 64, to do a dive, you just had to hit the B button during a jump. In Odyssey, you have to first initiate a ground-pound before you can dive (i.e. hit ZL, then quickly hit Y), and I dislike it because it's easy to mess up the timing and get stuck doing a ground pound.

You can hit both buttons at the same time and it'll still work! Makes diving a lot easier.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CountFosco posted:

SuperMario64 is beatable in the sense that it's not too hard to technically beat the game, i.e. defeating bowser, but some of those stars are really, really difficult.

Are there any good videos out there on the differences between Japanese and Western game design? I grew up with a PC, so I basically never played any Japanese games and a shitload of collectibles always stood out to me as something very Japanese, similar to finished percentages of and multiple or hidden endings. It does come up in western games too knowadays, but I think that is more a result of a lot of current developers growing up with Japanese games.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rare is like the poster child for collectathons and they're a very British company.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Rare is like the poster child for collectathons and they're a very British company.

Yeah, if anything Banjo Kazooie is just Mario 64 but made into a collectathon meanwhile Mario 64 is just a platformer. I'm sure those 120 stars were just a way to let players get any combination of them to reach the end game and being good enough to get all 120 was just a fun bonus.

Now, DK64 on the other hand...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nah, Mario 64 is totally a collectathon. It's a platformer that takes place in a 3D space and, instead of giving you a single endpoint to reach, each level has several collectibles scattered about in a large playground, encouraging the player to explore levels thoroughly and grow familiar with the terrain as they retrace their steps. The 100 coin stars should make this pretty clear.

Many of the levels in Mario 64 had stars that were pretty close in their design to the moons in Odyssey, with the only difference being that you're booted back to the castle between each star. Tick Tock Clock is, in all reality, a fairly linear vertical climb where each star is placed behind a mini challenge at some point along the path. A star at the bottom for grabbing red coins from a set of turning platforms. A star halfway up for tip-toeing along the clock hands. A star at the top for standing on top of the thwomp. Tall Tall Mountain is the same way, except it also puts over half of its stars at the very top of the stage. So it's a linear vertical climb that you then repeat several times, doing something different each time you reach the end of that same climb. It's not exactly a flawless approach to the formula.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

e X posted:

multiple or hidden endings.

{eyetwitch} I loving hate those. It really punishes people who have less time to play games OR who aren't "good" at games. If I beat the game, I want to see the ending. Now finally beat the poo poo out of the Final Evil Demon Boss-- just to find out I get a lovely one-screen ending because fifteen hours ago I forgot to move The Red Potion from shelf 1 to shelf 2.

All I can say is thank you THANK YOU to people who record endings and put them on YouTube.

Which reminds me-- one of these days I'm going to fix my 3D0, hook up a recorder, and spend 1500hours trying to get the endings for Way of the Warrior.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier Automata's extra endings are amazing and you will never convince me otherwise

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nier Automata's stuff also made to be viewed in sequential order and actually builds on itself rather than just giving you a crap non-ending for the first one.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nier's endings are really more chapter breaks, or joke game over screens. Discount those and there's only two real endings, and a true ending after you see those two.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best non-canon joke ending to a game I've ever seen was Final Fantasy XIII-2's "Time Cop Snow" ending which sets up the premise for a far better game than either XIII-2 or Lightning Returns ever ended up being.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nier's endings are really more chapter breaks, or joke game over screens. Discount those and there's only two real endings, and a true ending after you see those two.

Are you saying Suicide by Fish is not a real ending???!!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

Are you saying Suicide by Fish is not a real ending???!!!

I put down the game and stopped there. Unlike Spec Ops The Line that came before it Nier Automata really lets you choose to walk away from it all. :unsmith:

Nier does actually have a good number of endings which are basically you just saying 'eh' to the main plot of the day and walking off triggering an instant ending

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Multiple endings are incredibly important in game narrative nowadays. Why shouldn’t I have an ending that changes depending on the narrative choices I made? Heck, the internet flipped out because the endings of Mass Effect 3 weren’t different enough.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

i am tim! posted:

Multiple endings are incredibly important in game narrative nowadays. Why shouldn’t I have an ending that changes depending on the narrative choices I made? Heck, the internet flipped out because the endings of Mass Effect 3 weren’t different enough.

Ehh, that is not really the same. There is a huge difference between having an ending reflecting the choices that you made and having two competently different endings because you didn't collect all the random junk along the way.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

i am tim! posted:

I suppose there are people who have this view, but they're missing the forest for the trees. It's a symptom of the problem, but not the problem itself.

The problems with ME3's endings have to do with 1) being given a "choose a button" type decision, not one that reflects your choices throughout the games; and more importantly, 2) having choices that have you take sides with the bad guys (Saren's plan to combine organic and non-organic life; The Illusive Man's plan to control the Reapers) or making a choice that may go against your particular choices (killing all non-organic life). It's astonishing that the culmination of the trilogy ends with such a wet fart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i am tim! posted:

That's not quite right. What made the internet as a whole (rightfully, quite frankly) lose their poo poo at Bioware was being told for five years, repeatedly, that Mass Effect 3 would not end the trilogy on an arbitrary choice and would instead reflect the sum total of the player's choices.

Oops.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Most of the writing in ME3 is pretty bad (aside from like, Tuchanka), the ending is just the most clear example of obviously being half-assed garbage.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Andrast posted:

Most of the writing in ME3 is pretty bad (aside from like, Tuchanka), the ending is just the most clear example of obviously being half-assed garbage.

You can say basically the same of Andromeda, but at least ME3 was somewhat enjoyable to play and interact with characters (because you actually care about some of them by comparison).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

I suppose there are people who have this view, but they're missing the forest for the trees. It's a symptom of the problem, but not the problem itself.

The problems with ME3's endings have to do with 1) being given a "choose a button" type decision, not one that reflects your choices throughout the games; and more importantly, 2) having choices that have you take sides with the bad guys (Saren's plan to combine organic and non-organic life; The Illusive Man's plan to control the Reapers) or making a choice that may go against your particular choices (killing all non-organic life). It's astonishing that the culmination of the trilogy ends with such a wet fart.

See also, a month before release, the director saying there won't be a push-button ending.

Andrast posted:

This. Mass Effect 3 was just a bad game that had decent multiplayer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

You can say basically the same of Andromeda, but at least ME3 was somewhat enjoyable to play and interact with characters (because you actually care about some of them by comparison).

What're you talking about, it was enjoyable to interact with the characters in Andromeda too! Sorry, my face is tired.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Leal posted:

What're you talking about, it was enjoyable to interact with the characters in Andromeda too! Sorry, my face is tired.

I'm almost sad that they patched out the horrific animations/soulless eyes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The obvious fix to ME3's ending would have been an option to talk the Reapers out of their plan, like Shepard was capable of doing with literally everything else.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
ME3 and Life Is Strange both should've taken away their last minute choice, and let the choices throughout the games dictate what happened.

Hell, add a flashback showing the scenes that led to that hooch and you're golden

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the Witcher 3 approach basically.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Witcher 3 approach basically.

That requires your game (including the ending) to be well written though so it wouldn't work for me3

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Andrast posted:

tuchanka and javik were some of the best things in the entire franchise and it is a tragedy that they had to be stuck in mass effect 3. basically everything aside from those two things was loving abysmal.

the actual largest problem with the ending is that it was so bad on such a surface level, making it so easy to understand how and why it was bad by so many people, that it completely overshadowed the fact that most of the rest of the game was also pretty poo poo.

edi's sexy robot body and SPACE NINJA each made me embarrassed for the entire loving franchise just on their own. i still can't believe anyone thought either of those was a good idea, holy loving jesus.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The biggest way in which ME3’s ending fails, at least in my opinion, it that it completely betrays and shits all over the themes the story had spent the whole trilogy building up.

To me, the Mass Effect series is a story about defiance. It’s about going up against against seemingly impossible situations and winning, using your own strength and that of your friends and allies. Taking the best endings as canon, the characters manage to beat a reaper in the first game, survive a suicide mission in the second, end the Quarian/Geth war and cure the genophage in the third as well as all sorts of other amazing feats. And many of these outcomes depended on the choices the player made, making them all the more rewarding.

And then, in the finale, it all comes down to every race in the galaxy putting aside their differences to build the ancient weapon and beat the reapers for good, just like how the characters in your squad came together. Except it fails. At the last moment, this epic tale of mortals overthrowing “gods” and changing their fate is torn apart by the revelation that it was all a plot by a different techno-god all along. And Shephard, who has spent the series laughing in the face of overwhelming odds and fighting back against anyone who tried to control them, has no choice but to meekly obey this character’s instructions because it turns out everyone really was too weak to beat the reapers after all without his intervention. gently caress that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/952305872713207808

No, Lindsay. You have so much to live for!

edit: drat autocorrect

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 14, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

The biggest way in which ME3’s ending fails, at least in my opinion, it that it completely betrays and shits all over the themes the story had spent the whole trilogy building up.

To me, the Mass Effect series is a story about defiance. It’s about going up against against seemingly impossible situations and winning, using your own strength and that of your friends and allies. Taking the best endings as canon, the characters manage to beat a reaper in the first game, survive a suicide mission in the second, end the Quarian/Geth war and cure the genophage in the third as well as all sorts of other amazing feats. And many of these outcomes depended on the choices the player made, making them all the more rewarding.

And then, in the finale, it all comes down to every race in the galaxy putting aside their differences to build the ancient weapon and beat the reapers for good, just like how the characters in your squad came together. Except it fails. At the last moment, this epic tale of mortals overthrowing “gods” and changing their fate is torn apart by the revelation that it was all a plot by a different techno-god all along. And Shephard, who has spent the series laughing in the face of overwhelming odds and fighting back against anyone who tried to control them, has no choice but to meekly obey this character’s instructions because it turns out everyone really was too weak to beat the reapers after all without his intervention. gently caress that.

Having you convince the Crucible to go along with one of your plans rather than having it tell you what the options are would have really made a difference. I mean, there’s an obvious golden ending in there where you convince it based on your achievements throughout the game that the gap between humans and machines is not insurmountable, and they can live in harmony.

Talking down endgame villains is a grand old Bioware tradition, after all.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate that book so much. I couldn’t not read it after hearing how bad it is, but I really regret it.

• Locked thread