Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

So the petro is a limited-minting electronic dollar that is set at the price of a barrel of oil, but can't be redeemed for a barrel of oil, because of infrastructure problems and the fact they've already sold oil futures to everyone and their dog? Named a crytocurrency because Bitcoin is in the news right now.

It's just the normal cycle of introducing new currencies, then devaluing them with gov't spending, effecting a massive tax on those who still have jobs. The inner circle uses this fun money to buy dollars, tanks and loyalty to outlast the unrest. Same as Zimbabwe.

quote:

I call for the first national meeting of miners of the cryptocurrency, the petro, for next Sunday, January 14.

It'll be like Maduro's debt consolidation meeting that no one showed up to.

e. Catte for president

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chuck Boone posted:

I don't know much at all about cryptocurrencies, but don't they have to be mined (or otherwise produced through some mechanism other than decreeing their existence) for them to have value?

Nah, their value is the same no matter what (whatever people will pay for it, which isn't likely to be much). Mining requirements to generate currency are meant to ensure a "reason" to treat a currency not backed by any respected institution or good as having potential value, but in the case of "Venezuelan government issued currency supposedly backed by oil" you have two different things meant to establish value already.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Why does this have anything to do with cryptocurrency? I don’t get it.

Other than that, releasing an oil-backed currency seems like...a really good idea? Price volatility of oil is a big issue, but when your country has a ton of an in-demand, heavily-traded commodity, and your central bank has annihilated all trust in your fiat currency, using the commodity to back your currency seems like it could do a lot to stabilize the situation.

Setting your currency as equivalent to a commodity has been rightfully abandoned by the vast majority of nations for many decades now. It was a bad idea with gold and silver, it's even worse with oil especially when you have constantly declining ability to actually extract and transport said oil.

Say some large company agreed to take payment in Venezuela Petro tokens for like $100 million worth of goods. Then, they decide they want to actually cash them in for oil or its equivalent value - where will Venezuela actually come up with the US dollar cash? And how will they instead receive $100 million worth of oil from Venezuela when the field, transport, and shipping equipment are all breaking down and a ton of oil gets lost on the way? In the meantime, where can that company even spend that $100 million worht of Petro tokens to buy things they want and need? They could probably buy some stuff from Venezuela state run industry and maybe some Venezuela private industry but since there's very little being produced for export anymore that isn't oil, that won't go very far.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Chuck Boone posted:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the other bit of big news: Maduro ordered the severing of all sea and air connections with the ABC islands on Friday. He said that the reason why he's doing this is to stop smuggling.
Maduro heard about Dutch Disease and got very confused.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
One little detail of those supermarkets forced to lower their prices is that they are owned by portuguese Immigrants, so it is a retaliation to the whole christmas clusterfuck.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was just in Portugal and I ate all the Pernil they stole from my country mates, and I loved it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

quote:

Caracas, 9 January (Argus) — Venezuela's slide into sovereign default has accelerated with a recommendation from the emerging markets trader's association (EMTA) that from 9 January all Venezuelan bonds will trade flat – meaning without accruing interest in buy/sell transactions.
EMTA's recommendation amounts to an institutional recognition by the world's largest emerging markets traders that Venezuela is in default, bond traders told Argus.
The recommendation "also should force bondholders who had been hoping for a happier ending to this debacle to finally acknowledge that Venezuela is in default," Miami-based bond trader Russ Dallen said.
EMTA, created in 1990, is the emerging markets trading and investment community's principal trade group "promoting the orderly development of fair, efficient and transparent trading markets for Emerging Markets instruments and helping integrate the Emerging Markets into the global capital markets," according to the group's website.
EMTA has 24 full members, defined as companies that actively trade emerging markets instruments, including global financial firms like Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan Chase, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, Citi, BBVA, Barclays, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, Royal Bank of Scotland, Societe Generale and UBS. EMTA also has over 100 other members consisting of smaller companies that trade in emerging markets instruments.
EMTA is not an official financial regulatory entity, but its recommendation will be followed globally in all Venezuelan bond trades from today, traders said.

The beginning of a story Argus just sent out. Seems some more banks are throwing in the towel on Venezuela. Honestly I was surprised to hear there were still people willing to trade Venezuelan bonds at all.

I can post the rest if you’re interested but it’s mostly just a couple paragraphs on the history of Venezuela not paying and their expected response.

CaptainPrivy
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrayn posted:

The beginning of a story Argus just sent out. Seems some more banks are throwing in the towel on Venezuela. Honestly I was surprised to hear there were still people willing to trade Venezuelan bonds at all.

I can post the rest if you’re interested but it’s mostly just a couple paragraphs on the history of Venezuela not paying and their expected response.

Crazy that there's more support and institutional money invested in Venezuelan Bonds than Bitcoin.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

The looting sprees continue in small towns along the Panamericana highway, the towns recently affected are Arapuey, Caja Seca, Playa Grande, Tucaní, and El Pinar. In the early hours of this morning there were 4 dead in Arapuey and at least one in Playa Grande. People block the highways and loot the trucks that are forced to stop. I know that some of the trucks were of Alimentos Polar, one transporting eggs, and another carrying fertilizers (some of my neighbours arrived with malta and eggs). Looters are also breaking into farms, killing cows on the spot and running off with the meat, over 100 cows have been killed (one of those dead cows was mine). Many of my neighbours are gathering to break into another farm and poach more cows while I'm petrified because I have no means to stop a hungry mob. http://runrun.es/nacional/336350/reportan-4-fallecidos-tras-saqueos-y-revueltas-en-arapuey-estado-merida.html

Last week Diosdado Cabello announced that the country was going to buy Banesco, on wednesday he said that the shares had been bought and yesterday Juan Carlos Escotet, Banesco's president said the bank wasn't sold, and never will be.
http://globovision.com/article/diosdado-cabello-la-unica-garantia-de-paz-es-la-revolucion
http://www.eluniversal.com/noticias/economia/escotet-aclara-que-banesco-esta-venta_683929

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
These videos were recorded last night on a stretch of highway in Aragua state. They show what Blue Nation has described above: people stopping traffic to break into trucks and vehicles in search of food.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/951632787546685440

https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/951632971018194944

The video below shows another event described by Blue Nation. The video was recorded yesterday in Merida state, and it shows a group of people that have apparently run onto a farm chasing and killing a cow. The video is :nms::

https://twitter.com/leoperiodista/status/951573905822703617

Four people were killed in food riots in Merida yesterday.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

people are literally starving, here's hoping something happens before it gets even worse

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Every time I see news like that, I think: this is the straw that breaks the camels back. I've been doing that for 3 years now.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Today in the afternoon the poaching continued until Military Counterintelligence intervened. The poachers then tried to stab the farm owner with a broken bottle because they weren't happy he protected his cattle. gently caress my neighbours. Apparently they went to hit a farm further down the road to San Antonio, Zulia.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Lefty twitter cracking jokes about that video like “oh no people are resorting to eating cow meat” like it’s absurd to think this is out of the ordinary. I really don’t understand the complete blind spot to Venezuela considering they will also say it’s a 100% capitalist country.

I don’t have a point with this post I’m just baffled.

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

Blue Nation posted:

Today in the afternoon the poaching continued until Military Counterintelligence intervened. The poachers then tried to stab the farm owner with a broken bottle because they weren't happy he protected his cattle. gently caress my neighbours. Apparently they went to hit a farm further down the road to San Antonio, Zulia.

Really unbelievable. Shocking that a crisis of this magnitude has been completely ignored by the North American press.

Hope things turn around somehow... tragic.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Several high-level opposition advisors announced the failure of the negotiating table in the Dominican Republic yesterday; they did so almost simultaneously, and then promptly deleted their tweets.

They looked like this:

https://twitter.com/victoramaya/status/952022398747987968

So, it's very likely that the opposition will come out of these negotiations completely empty handed.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blue Nation posted:

The looting sprees continue in small towns along the Panamericana highway, the towns recently affected are Arapuey, Caja Seca, Playa Grande, Tucaní, and El Pinar. In the early hours of this morning there were 4 dead in Arapuey and at least one in Playa Grande. People block the highways and loot the trucks that are forced to stop. I know that some of the trucks were of Alimentos Polar, one transporting eggs, and another carrying fertilizers (some of my neighbours arrived with malta and eggs). Looters are also breaking into farms, killing cows on the spot and running off with the meat, over 100 cows have been killed (one of those dead cows was mine). Many of my neighbours are gathering to break into another farm and poach more cows while I'm petrified because I have no means to stop a hungry mob. http://runrun.es/nacional/336350/reportan-4-fallecidos-tras-saqueos-y-revueltas-en-arapuey-estado-merida.html

Are you in Venezuela still, BN, or are your first person pronouns referring to your family? In either case sounds pretty terrifying. Try not to get murdered. I'm not sure I can even blame the people all that much, when you're starving to death you'll do pretty crazy, terrible, and illogical things. I'm sure I'd murder a cow and eat bushmeat too if I was starving.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Blue Nation posted:

Jesus man, please stay safe :(

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Still in Venezuela. It's hard to pack my stuff and leave when I own land and cattle, and thus still manage to make a decent living but right now I genuinely fear for my safety.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
edit:nvm misread

stay safe man. do you have a gun or something at least?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

lollontee posted:

edit:nvm misread

stay safe man. do you have a gun or something at least?

That's terrible advice. His cows are worth less than his life...

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

One of my workers has a shotgun and I have machetes, I'm just hoping it doesn't come to a fight.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Nation posted:

One of my workers has a shotgun and I have machetes, I'm just hoping it doesn't come to a fight.

Yeah, I'm just praying that anyone so inclined knowing you can actually fight might make such confrontation slightly less likely is all.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There's been looting in Calabozo, Guarico state all day today. The National Guard showed up and fired tear gas and rubber pellets at people. A crowd ransacked a government warehouse that stores food, and some businesses are also being targeted. Here are a couple of videos:

https://twitter.com/VenteGuaricoYA/status/952217632530366469

https://twitter.com/NTN24ve/status/952234489924784128

And this is the scene at the food warehouse:

https://twitter.com/javiermayorca/status/952246812609581057

fnox
May 19, 2013

UN Secretary General agrees to help Colombia prepare for a migration crisis. I think the international community has silently realized that the collapse is imminent, and that they're about to have a situation like what you would see in Rwanda or Sudan. I don't know how this is all going to end, what I know is that the looting will only exacerbate the collapse as it is destroying whatever distribution and production of food remains.

The country is collapsing on every front, there's not enough food for the National Guard any more; looting has become more widespread, more blatant. Even PDVSA is collapsing, its workers are threatening a general strike, and these are the guys they kept after the Lista Tascon and the subsequent removal of anybody not in favour of the state party. Without creditors, the government will run out of money to even pay the people they need to pay to stay in charge, and the country will enter a state of complete disarray.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Things have cooled down around my area now that the DIM (Military Counterinelligence) have put some order. They imposed a curfew, gave permission to farmowners to shoot down poachers and are patrolling the area. They are also entering and searching for the beer that was stolen from the Alimentos Polar trucks because it belongs to a colonel. So the only reason we're being helped is because someone in the army was personally affected by this shitshow, guess its better than nothing :smith: .

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

Things have cooled down around my area now that the DIM (Military Counterinelligence) have put some order. They imposed a curfew, gave permission to farmowners to shoot down poachers and are patrolling the area. They are also entering and searching for the beer that was stolen from the Alimentos Polar trucks because it belongs to a colonel. So the only reason we're being helped is because someone in the army was personally affected by this shitshow, guess its better than nothing :smith: .

get out it will only get worse

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Tried calling my best friend last night. Couldn't get a line on him, but he texted me saying this has been the worst week of his life and will be in touch as soon as he can

I'm really worried about him

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

fnox posted:

UN Secretary General agrees to help Colombia prepare for a migration crisis. I think the international community has silently realized that the collapse is imminent, and that they're about to have a situation like what you would see in Rwanda or Sudan. I don't know how this is all going to end, what I know is that the looting will only exacerbate the collapse as it is destroying whatever distribution and production of food remains.

The country is collapsing on every front, there's not enough food for the National Guard any more; looting has become more widespread, more blatant. Even PDVSA is collapsing, its workers are threatening a general strike, and these are the guys they kept after the Lista Tascon and the subsequent removal of anybody not in favour of the state party. Without creditors, the government will run out of money to even pay the people they need to pay to stay in charge, and the country will enter a state of complete disarray.

I was skimming this thread, glimpsed the first sentence of this post and thought I was in the climate change thread for a good minute or so.

Not exactly sure what that means.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Oscar Perez, the renegade police officer who hijacked a helicopter in June and used it to attack government buildings in Caracas, is currently surrounded by the authorities and is attempting to negotiate an end to the standoff. Perez has been living in hiding since his famed helicopter attack, and has occasionally appeared on videos calling for a general insurrection against the regime. Most recently, Perez led a raid on a National Guard barracks in Miranda state, from which he stole some weapons.

Perez released this video earlier today:

https://twitter.com/ElyangelicaNews/status/952877363477479427

quote:

Man in the background: [Negotiating with the authorities] We are not your enemies! We didn't do this for ourselves. We did this for you, for your children, for your families...

Oscar Perez: We're here on the new highway in El Junquito. We are negotiating. We don't want to fight these officers--in fact, we know some of them. We're patriots, we're nationalists fighting with conviction. To those of you who doubted: here we are, fighting.

They've opened fire on us and we're taking cover, but now we're negotiating with the officers [unintelligible] and the officials and the press. Venezuela, do not lose hope. We will carry on in your name. May Almighty God and Jesus Christ accompany us in this mission.

Man with Rifle: The God of Israel is with us. People of Venezuela...

EDIT: It looks like he's been captured. I have to go to school now so I can't translate, but this is a "goodbye" message and it seems like he's now in custody. Perez was attempting to negotiate a surrender, but it looks like the authorities did not accept it: https://twitter.com/ElyangelicaNews/status/952879272221437952

quote:

Perez: I want to ask Venezuelans to not lose hope. Fight. Take to the streets. The time for our liberation has come, and only you have the power to achieve this now. We love you with all of our soul and hearts. Sebastian, Santiago, Derek: You know that we've done this for you and for all of the children in Venezuela. I hope to see you again soon. I love you, my children.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 15, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So will he be tortured to death in a SEBIN prison or will they parade him on TV and execute him formally?

Either way too bad, even if he was kind of crazy he was a better symbol of hope in Venezuela than anyone except maybe Lorenzo Mendoza.

fnox
May 19, 2013

He just sent a video saying that they told him they wanted him dead. Not sure if I can post the video because there's blood on his face.

This is looking a bit theatrical, I guess my brain is just struggling to believe that someone would Snapchat their last moments before being killed by government security forces.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
As fnox said, Perez has been sending frantic videos all morning from his safe house. According to him, the authorities have refused to accept their surrender and they are storming the building.

I'm going to link the videos here, but be aware that they are all :nms: because they show a bloodied Perez yelling into the camera as a firefight happens in the background. I've lost track of when the videos were uploaded (there's about a half a dozen now), so I'm just going to post them all here with translations and probably out of chronological order:

Video #1: https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/952904207635484672

quote:

Perez: We've got wounded. They're shooting at us. [Yelling] We're going to surrender! Stop shooting!

Video #2: https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/952902253874155520

quote:

Perez: Venezuela: they don't want us to surrender. They literally want to murder us. They've just told us that. Be strong.

Video #3: https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/952900251643506688

quote:

Perez: We're not shooting at them, but they're still attacking us. They're attacking us on every flank [Man yelling beside Perez: We're not shooting you! The shots are coming from outside!] We are negotiating our surrender because there are innocent people here, civilians, but they don't want to [accept out surrender]. They want to murder us.

Video #4: https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/952895942059061249

quote:

Man: They're attacking us with grenade launchers. They've filled the house with holes. Venezuela, we need you. We are wounded. They're still shooting [People yelling: Stop shooting! Stop shooting, please! There are civilians here! There are women and children here--you've seen them!].

fnox posted:

This is looking a bit theatrical, I guess my brain is just struggling to believe that someone would Snapchat their last moments before being killed by government security forces.

I'm hearing a lot of that on social media. We know that Perez is vain (based on his extensive Instagram history and his work as an actor). He might even be narcissistic. I wouldn't personally record myself in a firefight, but I believe that Perez would.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 15, 2018

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Absolutely link the video

edit: thank you

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 15, 2018

fnox
May 19, 2013

It's not a full video, it's a series of Instagram posts. They're as short as Chuck's been posting them

It seems like this is the source

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I've compiled and translated all of the videos/tweets that Perez sent this morning and translated them into English on my blog.

PSUV vice president Diosdado Cabello says that Perez and his men killed a police officer and injured 10 others, three of them seriously.

It's been about an hour since Perez posted an update.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Man, that is intense. I hope he hasn’t been killed.

e: good work Chuck Boone to translate all of that on your blog

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
We're nearing two hours since last contact and based on that alone I think that it's clear that he's either in custody or otherwise incapacitated. His Twitter account had been posting messages all morning, including one two hours ago saying that the account was being controlled by his friends and that they hadn't heard anything from him in a while.

Also, an APC was seen driving up towards the safe house. This was after the videos/tweets from Perez had stopped:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoRT51/status/952942189058895872

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

sticksy posted:

e: good work Chuck Boone to translate all of that on your blog

Thank you. I'm lucky enough to have time to do it!

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry for the double post.

fnox
May 19, 2013

They haven't confirmed that Oscar Perez himself is dead, but the official account is that 5 "terrorists" were captured, and an unknown number were killed. The government is also claiming that they remotely detonated a car bomb, which supposedly killed 2 national policemen and injured 5 more.

EDIT: A picture of his corpse has been leaked. It is confirmed that he's dead now.

fnox fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The military operation to take down Perez was massive. The government threw everything and the kitchen sink at his safe house, including an APC and even RPGs. The government has yet to issue details on the operation, saying only that Perez's band has been "neutralized". Like fnox said, there's a picture clearly showing Perez dead in the rubble of a home, so that's as much confirmation as we have now of his status.

There are also rumours that a colectivo armado (a pro-regime militia/gang) was sent to kill Perez and his men even as the police had agreed to accept Perez's surrender. This would explain why Perez is so serene in his first videos from yesterday in which he explains that he's surrendering, and why he says as the battle rages that the authorities are not accepting his surrender. The colectivo involved is alleged to be the Tres Raices from Caracas' 23 de Enero neighbourhood. The colectivo's leader, Heiker Vasquez, is alleged to have been killed in the fight.

The video below was recorded from the government lines. The Perez house is just off in the distance, behind a dip in the land. You can a grenade detonation, machine gun fire, what sounds like an APC cannon and and RPG all directed at the house:

https://twitter.com/CaracasChron/status/953002714602106881

More sounds of the fighting:

https://twitter.com/maibortpetit/status/953031913354252290

The APC on its way to the zone of operations:

https://twitter.com/ReporteYa/status/952961820926599168

In this video you can see a soldier firing an RPG at the home:

https://twitter.com/ElyangelicaNews/status/953084181432684544

A message written on a wall of a subway station in Caracas this morning--"Oscar Perez Lives":

https://twitter.com/CristalPalacios/status/953225257007099904

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 16, 2018