Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hey I started playing this game a few days ago. It's pretty fun.

I've been playing garen in the co-op vs bots (YouTube told me it's a good way to learn) Up to level 9 and it's getting pretty easy (I usually end up closing out the game by smashing towers and end 20+/0 unless someone actually good plays mf and runs away with it)

What should I do next, do I need to learn another champion and role before playing other people? Should I keep grinding bots to unlock runs and poo poo properly? Also I like garen who else might I like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Is it possible to mod the game so this plays when I press the beamu button on the cute and powerful girl Lux from the game League of Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1KmDkXhfY

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
aoko is the better sister but just barely

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just going to share this clip I took today.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218154251

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Any goons around the gold 5 to 4 mark who want to sub as a top laner in some tournament games tonight in 3 hours?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Any goons around the gold 5 to 4 mark who want to sub as a top laner in some tournament games tonight in 3 hours?

I'm gold 5

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah but your account shows diamond 3 so it won't work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah but your account shows diamond 3 so it won't work.

I'll play someone's gold 5 account

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

We found someone already. Also smurfing in a for fun tournament is a little goofy imo.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Hey I started playing this game a few days ago. It's pretty fun.

I've been playing garen in the co-op vs bots (YouTube told me it's a good way to learn) Up to level 9 and it's getting pretty easy (I usually end up closing out the game by smashing towers and end 20+/0 unless someone actually good plays mf and runs away with it)

What should I do next, do I need to learn another champion and role before playing other people? Should I keep grinding bots to unlock runs and poo poo properly? Also I like garen who else might I like?

Transition to just playing normal games against people. It's a little more complicated and you'll lose half the games you play, but it's pretty fun and you might as well just jump in. Just mute anyone who says anything remotely rude and ignore them while doing your thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
why are people playing relic shield starting on MF

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

koreans

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Gives extra durability in lane, and the Targon's shield + overheal shield can add up to 400-500 extra HP.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

Is it possible to mod the game so this plays when I press the beamu button on the cute and powerful girl Lux from the game League of Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1KmDkXhfY

what is this bastard poo poo doing in my league of legends thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

that didnt answer my question!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

that didnt answer my question!

njsykora gave the mechanical answer above, but most people who do anything in league of legends do so not because they have a good reason based on mechanics they understand but because they are aping what is (allegedly) popular in korea or something they saw on a stream without knowing why. even in this thread its not uncommon to see people advised to just blindly follow probuilds or similar if they dont know a champion, which leads to similar aping behavior.

so yeah, "koreans" is a legit answer

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Addamere posted:

njsykora gave the mechanical answer above, but most people who do anything in league of legends do so not because they have a good reason based on mechanics they understand but because they are aping what is (allegedly) popular in korea or something they saw on a stream without knowing why. even in this thread its not uncommon to see people advised to just blindly follow probuilds or similar if they dont know a champion, which leads to similar aping behavior.

so yeah, "koreans" is a legit answer

Basically, any time I see some dumb poo poo (usually in the jungle) more than once in a week my immediate thought is which loving streamer played Ashe jungle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
People are only just now catching on that relic shield is really friggen good in roles other then support and quickly pays for itself, not to mention your jump starting your support into affording sightstone or other items that directly translate to you surviving longer.

Think of it as a cheaper culling, if keeping the culling meant that you continued to generate gold and healing for yourself and others the entire game and eventually became a permanent 300ish hp shield on yourself, with a option later to a second shield active if you don't sell it.

Oh, and you can still buy the culling with it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i've got a level 26 account I last played on in 2012. I haven't touched this game since then, though I've played DOTA 2. i'm being yelled at most games, being told i'm inting or trolling / griefing, when i actually just suck.

everyone keeps yelling to go adc and i didn't even know what that was up until recently. does the game force you to play the meta? it sucks that i'll have to play adc champs more often than not instead of champs i enjoy playing. i don't even know which champs are adc and which aren't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Q8ee posted:

i've got a level 26 account I last played on in 2012. I haven't touched this game since then, though I've played DOTA 2. i'm being yelled at most games, being told i'm inting or trolling / griefing, when i actually just suck.

everyone keeps yelling to go adc and i didn't even know what that was up until recently. does the game force you to play the meta? it sucks that i'll have to play adc champs more often than not instead of champs i enjoy playing. i don't even know which champs are adc and which aren't.

ADC is bot lane, it's not so much the meta as playing your position. If you don't want to play ADCs then just go play a different position. Generally though fighters and tanks go in the top lane, mages in the mid lane, marksmen in the bot lane, then jungle and support are lawless wastelands.

fnox
May 19, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It makes little sense on MF, but it actually works very well on ADCs that are weak in the early levels. This is actually part of a larger build that involves combining Fleet Footwork, Overheal, and sometimes Legend: Bloodline (IMO Legend: Alacrity is way better), plus the Shield Battery passive of Targon to give you a huge shield as an ADC without sacrificing your damage output. This effectively makes you hard as poo poo to kill without really requiring you to do anything different, so it's like a soft return of the Ardent Censer meta, in that you can lane like poo poo and survive.

The whole problem lies in how the balance team still hasn't realised that there isn't really a way to counter shield stacking, nor have they realised that every time they touch lethality items it makes the botlane meta stale because people will find a way to avoid having to trade, even.

Q8ee posted:

The game kind of forces you to have 5 positions, Top, Mid, ADC and support (both of which are bot) and Jungle. For each of these positions there is a meta, but ultimately nothing is stopping you from picking whatever you want into any position, the caveats are merely that the jungler must have smite, and that the ADC is one of the champions in the "Marksman" class. This unfortunately means that there's only like 16 champions that are actually viable ADCs, whereas with all the other positions you can play nearly anything.

The reason why is because ADC is the "DPS" class; the game is designed in such a way that, in order for you to take objectives quickly enough, you need a ranged, AA-heavy carry that is able to poo poo sustained damage into a single target, and there isn't really an alternative, Tanks and Bruisers have too little of a damage output, Assassins and Mages only deal damage in bursts and can't damage turrets with (most) spells; and while melee AA-heavy carries exist, they get shat on in lane by ranged champions.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

you are not required to pick meta roles, but people act like you are because it is a huge uphill battle with your team and the game itself to do meta defying stuff. there are some meta breaking stuff in bot lane which gets played reasonably often, notably kill lanes, and botlane ziggs. other than that just play the champions in the roles that they are "intended" for, or just ignore what your team says and perform well enough that post champion select they stop complaining(NOTE: if anything goes bad in the game and you not playing meta, even if you are playing an unpopular champion instead of fotm, you WILL be blamed for the loss)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you're coming over from dota prepare for a meta that has been set in stone for 7 years.

In dota I don't think icefrog has ever said "shadow fiend has been played outside of the midlane too often so we're nerfing xxx to make sure he stays mid" but in league that happens.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Q8ee posted:

It's a bit different than dota in that bot lane is for a marksmen/support, not just a carry and support. if you want to play melee carries go top lane. start with garen.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 14, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

It's a bit different than dota in that not lane is for a marksmen/support, not just a carry and support. if you want to play melee carries go top lane. start with garen. a

yeah cause riot hosed up anivia soraka. i am still mad about that

strong bird
May 12, 2009

How do people not ward in this game where wards are free and everybody has them

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Q8ee posted:

Type '/mute all' at the start of every match. Or you can hold tab and mute specific dickholes if you'd rather

Qubee
May 31, 2013

el dingo posted:

Type '/mute all' at the start of every match. Or you can hold tab and mute specific dickholes if you'd rather

I can comb through the yelling and pick out useful tidbits, and i've never been the type of person to mute.

drat the playstyle is so different from DOTA. I absolutely hate being a melee champ and just having the enemy ranged dudes kite me whilst I can't do poo poo against them.

why is top predominantly melee? surely going ranged top means you could just snipe the melee enemy and harass free of charge?

edit: another thing I've been meaning to ask: I look at my death recap a lot, and for games where most of the damage from enemy champs seems to be magic, I buy stuff that is magic resist, and vice versa for if it's physical damage. is this a good strat, or should I just stick to the recommended items at all times?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 14, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah mostly but during team fights the melee dude will be big and will get on top of your carries and walk over them. It's a legit strategy to go a carry ranged top though. That's actually why Gnar is one of the best and most versatile top laners. He switches from a ranged poke champ to a melee beefcake

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Q8ee posted:

I can comb through the yelling and pick out useful tidbits, and i've never been the type of person to mute.

drat the playstyle is so different from DOTA. I absolutely hate being a melee champ and just having the enemy ranged dudes kite me whilst I can't do poo poo against them.

why is top predominantly melee? surely going ranged top means you could just snipe the melee enemy and harass free of charge?

edit: another thing I've been meaning to ask: I look at my death recap a lot, and for games where most of the damage from enemy champs seems to be magic, I buy stuff that is magic resist, and vice versa for if it's physical damage. is this a good strat, or should I just stick to the recommended items at all times?

Ranged champs are more fragile, slower, and have less escape options generally, so they are very vulnerable to ganks in the top lane, the longest and most dangerous lane. But yeah you can usually win if you play a ranger carried top but your team will lack a beefcake which is bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

Ranged champs have weaker stats then melee ones generally, melee also tend to have gapclosers, that said certain ranged with their own mobility options or denial can trash certain melee due to skills countering other skills, if the melee champ uses their long cooldown gap closer to get in, then the quinn top bounces them back and blinds them they have no option but to walk away taking damage all the while, on the other hand, someone like malphite can just press R and delete that person when they have enough damage and can stack defense.

Q8ee posted:

It is wise to mix up your item build based on what the enemy team is, ranged damage dealers can't really fit in the items to get more then one or two defensive items and usually only have a single option for armor or MR that is resists+damage, but as a bruiser with tons of built in damage you should 100% itemize armor or MR for your lane matchup and then the overall enemy team

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

strong bird posted:

How do people not ward in this game where wards are free and everybody has them

a lot of the time i forget still

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just had the most atrocious game. I was Renekton top lane vs Illaoi. she had total lane control, as everytime I'd get close, she'd just whomp the poo poo out of me with tentacles. she'd also grab me (most of which I dodged, but some got me) and easily do 1/2 my entire health in damage whilst I could do nothing but watch. had literally no idea what to do to reassert lane dominance, as she'd burst me so easily. my jungler only came top once and totally whiffed the gank by exposing himself and waddling up whilst she just ran off.

in teamfights, she'd absolutely blitz us all cause she just summons 3 tentacles that whomp all of us into oblivion. though I'll admit, I fed her, but I legitimately couldn't do anything else. she kept pushing me back out of creep xp range, and when I'd initiate 1v1 fights at full health, she'd still come out on top with 5% health left whilst I'm dead.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Q8ee posted:

just had the most atrocious game. I was Renekton top lane vs Illaoi. she had total lane control, as everytime I'd get close, she'd just whomp the poo poo out of me with tentacles. she'd also grab me (most of which I dodged, but some got me) and easily do 1/2 my entire health in damage whilst I could do nothing but watch. had literally no idea what to do to reassert lane dominance, as she'd burst me so easily. my jungler only came top once and totally whiffed the gank by exposing himself and waddling up whilst she just ran off.

in teamfights, she'd absolutely blitz us all cause she just summons 3 tentacles that whomp all of us into oblivion. though I'll admit, I fed her, but I legitimately couldn't do anything else. she kept pushing me back out of creep xp range, and when I'd initiate 1v1 fights at full health, she'd still come out on top with 5% health left whilst I'm dead.

illaoi is tricky to play against and yeah teams who aren't paying attention can get mauled by het ult

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Renekton is also weak right now while illaoi is near the top

Qubee
May 31, 2013

as a fresh player, are there sites I can go on that give me the rundown on what's "in" at the minute? cause I'd much rather play games that are enjoyable rather than games where I feel so inadequate 90% of the time and just get steamrolled.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eu7NzzHC84

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Q8ee posted:

as a fresh player, are there sites I can go on that give me the rundown on what's "in" at the minute? cause I'd much rather play games that are enjoyable rather than games where I feel so inadequate 90% of the time and just get steamrolled.

http://champion.gg/

But keep in mind that very few of the lower ranking champs are actually that 'bad,' and a lot of the higher ranking champs are just pubstompers, not actually super OP. Obviously there's correlation, but hard carries like Kayle always rank highly because it's very rare that a pub team, even ones in high ELO, will be coordinated enough to completely shut her out of farm, or end the game quickly enough for her to be unable to go off. By that same token, champions that kind of 'force' teamplay by having a very obvious initiation button that even a random pubbie will go in on the back of also do well, since they can coordinate a team around them. Malphite, for instance.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Endorph posted:

http://champion.gg/

But keep in mind that very few of the lower ranking champs are actually that 'bad,' and a lot of the higher ranking champs are just pubstompers, not actually super OP. Obviously there's correlation, but hard carries like Kayle always rank highly because it's very rare that a pub team, even ones in high ELO, will be coordinated enough to completely shut her out of farm, or end the game quickly enough for her to be unable to go off. By that same token, champions that kind of 'force' teamplay by having a very obvious initiation button that even a random pubbie will go in on the back of also do well, since they can coordinate a team around them. Malphite, for instance.

that site is awesome. also jfc I played Kayle and totally bombed it. I was just utter garbage. I chose them as a support role as well lol

I really ought to play against bots, but I just find bots boring. it's way more enjoyable (and rage inducing) playing against other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Q8ee posted:

In general, execution matters more than draft, especially as a new player. What I mean by this is that your champion pick is less important than the experience you have on them. Knowing matchups, damage output, power spikes, and so on all give you a significantly sharper edge compared to playing whatever's meta at the time, since the meta in League has the capability of changing every two weeks depending on how the patches shake out. There's only a handful of clunkers left in the game that can't excel in the right hands; everything else is viable all the way up into low Masters. You should find 2-3 champions in your role that you like and stick with them. The "like" part is important, because you're going to be spamming hundreds and hundreds of games on them to get to the point where you're comfortable playing them.

In terms of figuring out what's meta at the time, the two best resources are op.gg, which is the main stat tracker website everyone uses. You can look at breakdowns for each champion, including matchups, average winrates, standard item buys, and so on. Pick rate is a decent indicator of what people are prioritizing from patch to patch, especially if the pick rate's gone up significantly (like support Xerath). You can also use ProBuilds, which is a website that aggregates games from professional League players. If you see a large number of games on a specific champion on ProBuilds, that's usually a good indicator that it's meta.

If you have a particular role/playstyle you're enjoying, the thread can probably provide some champion recommendations.