Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol, drat.

What about the 26 other contractors they outsourced the game to?

the faceware/cam company didnt get a sign off.

https://i.imgur.com/HVCtekb.mp4

intardnation fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

You can get refunds on Steam, as long as you haven't played for more than 2 hours. I think this goes for bundles, as well.

As for the criticism of Derek's games, and I'm not talking about your review in particular, it irks me how harsh some of it is and how some people can even attempt a comparison with Star Citizen. His games are not pretending to be something they're not - they are obviously indie and niche games. They don't have the million dollar budgets of Star Citizen (and many other comparable games). There is even the usual Steam Early Access disclaimer that this should be bought as-is, may not be finished or may not end up as expected/promised/intended. Those are disclaimers not found when "pledging" for Star Citizen. In fact, Chris Roberts has repeatedly stated this game will be delivered, and essentially made pledging a pre-purchase (at least in the EU, consumer law doesn't care about pledge/purchase semantics, but about your promises). If Star Citizen was honest about being more than just their level of ambition, but also the possibility of failure, the design/technical challenges facing them and hadn't reneged on their promises of financial accountability, I don't think many of us would have an issue with it.

The fact that Derek has a sort-of similar game in development, and with a much smaller budget, and yet dares to stick his neck out and criticize CIG, is commendable. Even someone who disagrees with him should respect that. He's got a lot more on the line than anonymous goons, games journalists or even self-doxxing ex-backers.

It's deplorable how some SC backers paint him as an envious developer trying to piggyback on the fame of Star Citizen. For personal gain, he'd benefit a lot more from (even faking) support of CIG, their tech and business practices. I guess they could argue the resentment and envy angle, but even then I think it's a low blow to review bomb his games, make unreasonable comparisons and ignore the very obvious indie nature of them.

That's not even the hilarious part. No, that would be the fact that :

1) Line Of Defense is a "combined arms" game, not a space/planetary combat simulator wotsit. It was designed to be a more advanced version of All Aspect Warfare, but with a new custom engine, small space component, and larger more robust multiplayer component.

2) Universal Combat CE is the competitor to Star Citizen. And for a game that is the spiritual successor to Battlecruiser going back 30 loving years, it's amazing that Star Citizen doesn't even come close to the tech and feature set in UCCE. And they've had $176M and over 500 people at one time working on it.

Hilariously, even though UCCE doesn't have the fidelitiousness, nor ability to walk around inside stations and ships in fps mode - though LOD has that - Shitizens are creaming their pants about bullshit barren moons which are as buggy as they are performance hobbled. Meanwhile, back in Sept, I played UCCE for over 6hrs straight. No crashes. No bugs. And I didn't even get to show 50% of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EFo4gYh9Y

Once I get around to finishing The Lyrius Conflict DLC sometime this century, I may embark on implementing fps inside stations and ships, or adding multiplayer. I neither have the time, nor the team and funds to do it all at once.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 14, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

intardnation posted:

the faceware/cam company didnt get a sign off.

They didn't to, you see. They had switched to Lumberyard. So. :colbert:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As Roberts sits on his throne he hears rumblings from the crowd, the usual cries of adoration is silent. "What is going on? Has the hated Smart tweeted something to upset the whales again?" His trusted adviser Ortwin Wormtounge scuries up to the throne of Roberts. "My lord an imposter has arrived from the land of Frankia, he demands your throne!"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-14-david-cage-and-quantic-dream-shocked-by-allegations-of-unhealthy-studio-culture

quote:

Cage, particularly, is painted as a figure hard to work with. He is apparently ironically nicknamed "Papa", "God" and "Sun King" for his autocratic approach to working, for demanding long hours and for not listening to others.

Imagine being David Cage and then saying this:

quote:

"You want to talk about homophobia?" he said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA... Judge me by my work."

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SelenicMartian posted:

boviscopophobic posted:

I noticed that unrelated text subtitles flicker briefly onto the screen occasionally, as if the guy is continually in telepathic conversation with NPCs all over the 'Verse. This isn't the first 3.0 video where I've seen this phenomenon. Just a couple of instances below:
Someone in the verse is probably interacting with the shop at the same time, and this thing broadcasts every action of every player to every client regardless of range and sublevel.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

More likely is that everything is broadcast to everyone but the decision to show the dialogue is client-authoritative, and said client is chugging hard enough that it shows up for a split second before the client manages to figure out that it shouldn't be shown. The alternative was probably "if we default to not showing the dialogue, sometimes it doesn't show up at all".

Naturally this opens new and exciting future avenues for griefing. Competitive PvP games like Counterstrike, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft have a lot of special code server side to make sure things like "positional data for people that your client shouldn't be able to see behind a wall" aren't broadcast in the first place, to prevent client hacks like "making the walls invisible" from actually doing anything for you.

I'm calling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHLwAuM1J8c&t=9m16s
2015 Chris: "Cos really it was built as a single player game so a lot of the updating is player centric; but the problem we have is so for instance if there's sixteen players on the Crusader map and they all go to different comms arrays. Well they're all triggering different AI in different spots on the server [...] and then it's also telling every single client what all these AI are doing"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:reddit: posted:

We went down to a planet to pickup a greycat and stuff it into my freelancer's cargo hold. Brought it back to olisar and drove it around inside the C terminal for laughs.

"What happens if you try and get out of a seat next to a wall?" So we science'd. Animation clips me through olisars walls and I spasm for a bit, then appear outside olisar in EVA.

I make my way back in. "What happens if you drive off the landing pad?" We tried it. Disappointingly normal results. Although the greycat does somehow come to a stop rather than continuously moving in one direction as you may expect.

"Okay, let's get it back in the cargo hold." My friend was feeling lazy so he sat in the greycat and had me bring the freelancer around. I tried to get into the freelancer through the side door and ended up in my floor. But instead of exiting to menu I started playing with the emotes. Since they're mapped to keys you can just spam them all and in some cases they displace you, so I managed to pop out. Birthing style.

Crashed when trying to get back in and during the time my friend tried to solo get the greycat back in, only to set it on fire. Still works tho. Just massively lit with an orange glow.

We also started playing with the emotes. Ever need to stop when in EVA? Hit an emote. You stop dead in your tracks and do the emote. It's also just funny to slide your fingers back and forth along the emote keys and watch the ensuing spasm. Make sure 'sleep' is one of them for the funniest effect as the animations immediately skip you to the first frame.

"What happens if we mix elevator and greycat?" So off to levski we go. I've fallen into levski and gotten stuck several times so I wanted to experiment with a vehicle. That actually worked fine. But I ended up falling out of the elevator and through the planet, after falling 20 km's into the planet away from levski I clocked I would run out of oxygen before falling the remainder 600km's to the other end.

:psyduck: this game is so completely and totally hosed lol

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I miss all of the hilarious bugs that were coming out of that social module thing but I guess there's absolutely no reason to even fire that thing up unless you want to walk around an empty map for a little while.

But promising to allow players to do more on these empty featureless skyrim moons is a really fantastic way to distract from the fact that the fully detailed and built up worlds aren't coming anytime soon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Virtual Captain posted:

Someone in the verse is probably interacting with the shop at the same time, and this thing broadcasts every action of every player to every client regardless of range and sublevel.

I'm calling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHLwAuM1J8c&t=9m16s
2015 Chris: "Cos really it was built as a single player game so a lot of the updating is player centric; but the problem we have is so for instance if there's sixteen players on the Crusader map and they all go to different comms arrays. Well they're all triggering different AI in different spots on the server [...] and then it's also telling every single client what all these AI are doing"

lol, 2 years after those comments were made and one engine change later they are still having the same problem everywhere

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Dreams:Complete

Crobblers must be proud

https://clips.twitch.tv/UgliestAuspiciousWebCmonBruh

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

drive-by doggo post

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

We're hitting some kind of minimum viable dream

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

catte in disagreement with doggo-post

we're reporting live, btw

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

tuo posted:

drive-by doggo post

:swoon:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

That dog's coat is extremely fidelitous

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Solarin posted:

That dog's coat is extremely fidelitous

We had to refactor it like five times....he used to be grey....

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

“I’ve got a really cool mug. It’s a Porsche 911 mug. And it’s got a car, it’s got the shape of the car and the Porsche thing on the inside so when you finish your drink, it’s like there...”

Porsche 911 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mug

Item Description At Worthpoint.com posted:

Brand New! Highly collectible. Porsche 911 50th Anniversary Limited Edition mug. This mug sold out from Porsche and is very rare.

This mug is made in Germany and has the 911 50th Anniversary logo with the silhouette 911. It comes in its an official Porsche box. On the bottom of the mug it has the Porsche 911 50 logo along with "Limited Edition" and "Made in Germany" Inside the mug it has the logo along with the famous Hounds tooth pattern. The mug also comes with a 911 50th anniversary card with a QR code to learn more about the 50 year history of the 911.

This very special Porsche mug can be used for your favorite cup of coffee, tea, or admired displayed on a desk or shelf.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
So they promoted Derek Smart from an outcast to just a "fallen" backer. This is good for Star Citizen.o

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

Greetings Fellow Citizens, Alpha 3.0 is simply unplayable! It has been out for weeks now, and every time I try to play the frame rates are so low (they make me sick) or I simply get a hard crash. Yes, I report them. If this was any game, they would be receiving so much criticism. However, Star citizen has us hostage by our psychology to love the things we have invested so much in (Both time and money). I have read all the tricks (made changes) and I have a fast modern system with a good connection. I am not sure how so many are having such a good time. I wonder if you all are judging your experiences fairly? Honestly, RSI should be ashamed to sell this to people for $45. They should charge a fair alpha steam rate, give you starter ship to play as long as you like and the option to buy a full ship or the game if you love it. I do not understand all the adulation.
To the constant crush of defenders: I am a kick starter backer, read about the game three times a week (online or podcast), have put more than $500 in to this game. So I believe I have every right to comment on my experience. In fact I believe that anyone paying for any package has that right at anytime. However, if you are going to bring the hate or down votes, please inform me of how much money and time someone has to invest into this game in order to be able to respectfully criticize it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Is this the part where I break out the screenshot of a reddit admin telling me they could find no link between OSC and Derek, or no?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Is this the part where I break out the screenshot of a reddit admin telling me they could find no link between OSC and Derek, or no?

Yes.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

intardnation posted:

MWO didnt die after the golden mechs? or Niko's crap? and Goons are playing it?
If Transverse had been funded we might actually be playing a Live Your Life in Space game right now--it makes the brain hurt.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fallen backers hahaha

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just lol at the idea that Derek Smart would ever let an alias take the spotlight from him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nyast posted:

Somebody mentionned that the most likely interpretation was "CIG can use Cryengine for Star citizen, and Star citizen only (at the exclusion of other CIG projects)" which would be coherent with the idea that the license only applies to a single project.

The funny thing is, if you read CIG answer, it doesn't say that. Even though that would be the easiest / strongest defense.

Which then breaks the GLA because of Squadron 42 becoming a separate product. :lol:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Oh boy that guy is gonna get a lecture on his 'tone' real hard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Solarin posted:

fallen backers hahaha

Do we a black armband or something else for them?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The last time OSC was posting heavily and backers were enraged I requested an alt check because there were enough discrepancies between the post styles I figured it was a pretty safe bet they weren't the same guy. Of course if I was wrong it would have been a blue on blue incident to rival that of Leonard Skinly, but that's just more lols for the thread. Anyway here's what I got back (I have no idea why Hogarth mentioned rules-breaking, since I specifically told him that the poster was abiding by the rules):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Solarin posted:

fallen backers hahaha

THEY CAN STILL BE SAVED

NOT A CULT!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

The last time OSC was posting heavily and backers were enraged I requested an alt check because there were enough discrepancies between the post styles I figured it was a pretty safe bet they weren't the same guy. Of course if I was wrong it would have been a blue on blue incident to rival that of Leonard Skinly, but that's just more lols for the thread. Anyway here's what I got back (I have no idea why Hogarth mentioned rules-breaking, since I specifically told him that the poster was abiding by the rules):

:laffo:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Just jumping in here to state that I don't like the term 'anal bleaching', I prefer to call it 'changing your ring tone'.

That is all.

Can you guess where I am in the thread? :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm actually tempted to share that with our friend ThereIsNoGame, since I've been sitting on it for a while.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sandweed posted:

Imagine being David Cage and then saying this:

quote:

"You want to talk about homophobia?" he said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA... Judge me by my work."
Wow, that's pathetic

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm actually tempted to share that with our friend ThereIsNoGame, since I've been sitting on it for a while.

"Ryan Archer posted:

"Just DO it"

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

There's no way Derek could figure out how to mask his IP and fool the good people of :reddit:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MilesK posted:

There's no way Derek could figure out how to mask his IP and fool the good people of :reddit:

Derek's IP is 127.0.0.1. Same one as the rest of us. :ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MilesK posted:

The only mask Derek Smart would wear is the mask of Derek Smart.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

The only mask Derek Smart would wear is the mask of Derek Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Ha, I actually thought it was him.