Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axeil posted:

I'm sad that GDQ is over.

How was the rest of botw I went to sleep.

I fell asleep multiple times during botw but managed to be awake for the end, and I don't feel like I missed anything.

What was the reward supposed to be for beating 2.2 million in donations, does anyone know? Or was a new record supposed to be its own reward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

I Greyhound posted:

What was the gimmick>?

The runner seemed a bit unhinged at first and we weren't sure if

a) We were in for another secret of evermore loudguy
b) He was going to be as good as he turned out to be at the game

He struck a good balance between intense angry panic befitting of a FROM title, enthusiasm, and skill.

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 14, 2018

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

victrix posted:

And it also explains why literal children who can't pay for a sub get so upset

Literal children also can't donate money to a charity, and also shouldn't even be in any twitch chat in the first place.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

RoboJoe posted:

It actually is Star Control 2, and I've seee one or two runs on youtube but not a lot of solid information. It would be the PC free version though as I don't have a 3DO. The odd thing about Star Control 2 is that I've never actually finished the game, I've only ever played it in small amounts many, many years ago on a friends 3DO. However that doesn't dishearten me (at this point) because I can learn to play it and then learn to speedrun it, if I really try to push myself to do it this time.

Star Control 2 is legit my favorite gaming experience I've ever had. Was given to me for Easter by my parents, and spent a few weeks trying to get through it.

At the end of GDQ I always fantasize about putting in the time needed to learn an obscure game for a run submission (but realistically other hobbies would likely intrude, and in the unlikely event I had a submission accepted, I would probably curl into a twitching ball form anxiety), but I would love to support someone running my fav game. UrQuan Masters (the free PC version) could absolutely make for a good GDQ run.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

raditts posted:

If you bailed on dram world then you missed TASBot dram world which is a must watch

Seconding TASBot Dram 2. Whoever put it as the "runner was the straight guy" in the comedy situation put it 100% right.

Dram 2 as a whole is good too. I think some of the more memorable runs in a positive light have really good audience participation.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Woke up to find out that AGDQ managed to beat their total from last year, which I did not expect they could do.
Anyways this was the first AGDQ since I stopped watching it with irl friends that I had a ton of fun with. Everyone here's great, SGDQ will be a blast.
Personal recommendations:
Favorite goes to Resident Evil:7, because it really felt like such a clutch run, exciting with some great commentary backing it. Louisiana facts will never die.
Other recommended runs from me:
Awful Block of course
Warcraft 3
Diablo
BLOODBORNE
Skyrim
007: Agent under Fire
Strider tutorial
Super Monkey Ball
Dark Souls 3

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Fun Fact: The guys who made Star Control 2 also made Skylanders, including inventing the "Amibo/Dimensions/Infinity" genre of "pay us money for toys to use in the game that you also paid us money for" genre of game.

I'm not sure how I feel about that for the industry, but I'm really happy to see them do well.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

just want to be another voice saying thanks for the thread, i participated in it way more than any of the past ones and it was a SUPER rewarding experience

i love all of you and i'm excited for june ♥♥

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think RE7 still gets my vote for best run of the event. Great runner who never panicked under pressure, fantastic couch commentary, and things going off the rails in amusing ways that didn't dynamite the run or make things awkward. Arabian Nights is a close second because of how loving weird and funny the whole thing is.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

RE7 was super tight and engaging to watch, with noted Rap God Goon SuccinctAndPunchy on couch providing witticisms

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I Greyhound posted:

UrQuan Masters (the free PC version) could absolutely make for a good GDQ run.
I love SC2 to death, but I don't really agree with this - for someone who isn't already familiar with the game, no matter how good the commentary is, watching someone speedrun it would be completely incomprehensible. Incredibly fantastic game to play, but not so much to watch.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Okay, opinions vary on whether it would be a good GDQ run, but nevertheless, looking at the top run on speedrun.com, it turns out there is a tech that I found in casual play the top run isn't using that would shave a lot of time off. So hit me up if you decide to try learning it, and maybe we can try together.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I could not power through to the end and am currently pretty hungover, but that just means I get to do my favorite thing to do while hungover: watch speedruns!

chat thread was loving awesome, thanks for being speedfriends this week. can’t wait for june, going to run a marathon and then the next week watch SGDQ! hopefully, I’ll be there in person

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

the most laugh out loud moment from the bloodborne run is zeus going "AFTER ALL I'VE DONE FOR THIS GAME??"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

Fun Fact: The guys who made Star Control 2 also made Skylanders, including inventing the "Amibo/Dimensions/Infinity" genre of "pay us money for toys to use in the game that you also paid us money for" genre of game.

I'm not sure how I feel about that for the industry, but I'm really happy to see them do well.

Less fun fact: Noted shitlord Brad Wardell at Stardock bought the rights to a new Starcon game... and the original devs want to make their own Starcon game and now lawyers :|

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

victrix posted:

Less fun fact: Noted shitlord Brad Wardell at Stardock bought the rights to a new Starcon game... and the original devs want to make their own Starcon game and now lawyers :|
Did something happen between them recently because

https://twitter.com/draginol/status/917524062938726400

More info here

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

victrix posted:

If you want a semi serious answer, for many people watching GDQ, twitch chat is their only community to 'chat' about vidya while watching

Yes, that is every bit as sad as it sounds

And it also explains why literal children who can't pay for a sub get so upset

It's kind of weird you'd be so disparaging to them when a bunch of people in this thread posted about how they have no friend irl and posting lots about speedruns with others is the only glimmer of joy they have.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am awake, but I don't know why because agdq is over

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

haven't made a list of my favorite runs yet but i was going through my tweets over the past week and lmfao did this not age well

https://twitter.com/Kaubocks/status/951183626070237184

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unfortunately yes :(

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

Check the recent updates

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It was a pleasure watching with all y'all. Take care of yerselves.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What was the BotW $250k incentive? There don't seem to be a lot of posts gushing about it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

CJ posted:

It's kind of weird you'd be so disparaging to them when a bunch of people in this thread posted about how they have no friend irl and posting lots about speedruns with others is the only glimmer of joy they have.

yeah but we have :10bux:, get with the program dude

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

victrix posted:

Unfortunately yes :(

https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

Check the recent updates

:sigh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elephant Ambush posted:

What was the BotW $250k incentive? There don't seem to be a lot of posts gushing about it.

They didn't meet the goal, the guy overreached and while "it's a surprise" gets some initial bid attention it's hard to drum up interest afterward.

Folks think it was going to be magnesis-flying a minecart to Ganon.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That's exactly what it was going to be.

Kinda impressive to pull off actually those flirting machines are a pain to control

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

It also seemed like everyone was already coming down with GDFlu so it felt pretty un-hype for a final run

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I'm sure it has been asked so sorry to repeat, but I was unable to watch pretty much all week. Anybody have a list of good runs to watch from this GDQ?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vaah posted:

It also seemed like everyone was already coming down with GDFlu so it felt pretty un-hype for a final run

Mandatory paper masks next GDQ so anyone tuning in casually it looks like a strange cult

(er, more of a strange cult)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

siriuslysomething posted:

I'm sure it has been asked so sorry to repeat, but I was unable to watch pretty much all week. Anybody have a list of good runs to watch from this GDQ?

literally just read the last two pages of any of the 3 speedrun threads

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I feel surprisingly great for having stayed up till 5 AM. Thanks for the fun thread everyone, probably my favorite GDQ.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I feel surprisingly great for having stayed up till 5 AM. Thanks for the fun thread everyone, probably my favorite GDQ.

This is definitely the most I've enjoyed a GDQ. The awful block was an experience in itself. I'm really looking forward to SGDQ with you all

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The BOTW run was actually pretty okay. The dungeons and shrines were really impressive, and the runner was crazy good at those parts. Overworld traversal was kind of snoozy though. I'd recommend watching it while doing something else and paying attention for the good parts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Time to catch up on VODs. Hey, people liked the Punch-Out! run, lemme check it out.

Oh, it's a race-

:stare:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I've advocated people would put their recommendations in the slow thread (since it's a good place for them during the whole event) but right now we're all over the place, it's as if

we were

speedrunning the recommendations

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Pants Donkey posted:

Time to catch up on VODs. Hey, people liked the Punch-Out! run, lemme check it out.

Oh, it's a race-

:stare:
zallard1 and zallard2 (too)

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

beep by grandpa posted:

Genuinely thanks. Sorry for being an idiot and not just doing that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

quote:

Pakled posted:
I will never understand why people give a poo poo about twitch chat
every discussion of AGDQ I've seen outside of SA is dominated by people bitching about the chat being in subscriber-only mode
And there are apparently multiple people streaming the stream for the express purpose of allowing people to use twitch chat

twitch chat for streams this big moves too fast to actually read
Everything you say is said into the void, the chances that anybody will read it is practically nil
The only hope you have of conveying any information is to be part of a whole bunch of people spamming the same emote at once
What is appealing about that

mlyp. whenever I see someone dissing on twitch chat I just imagine some guy covering his ears at the super bowl and, speaking in an inside voice, asking everyone if they could please stop yelling.

anyways I'm glad pleb chat exists and I can't thank TriHard enough for being a cool dude and even giving it a shout out in his dono message during yoshi's island. the reason nobody kept whining about sub chat is because there were cooler chats out there to use instead of the GDQ ones; even if sub chat didn't exist, the moderation is so heavy handed you can't talk about poo poo or spam any fun emotes there anymore, like the past few gdqs, so I'm glad they pushed everything over the edge and enabled sub chat.

• Locked thread