Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

Honestly that sounds fun as hell.

He linked a video

https://www.facebook.com/deckstorec..._location=group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Those may be valuable sometime!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Soul Glo posted:

theyre not paying judges, but yeah

e: im all for people working with and around children to be checked 100%, just sayin

I've volunteered as an instructor for kid's judo and marksmanship classes and had to have background checks completed for both of those activities. While I agree that background checks should be mandatory for anyone working with a vulnerable sector (i.e. kids or the elderly), it is worth pointing out that checks only reveal something if a person has been charged. They are not a fool proof means of guaranteeing safety and anyone working in or around such a role must always be vigilant.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went 0 and 2 losing to a garbage pull and land issues every game.
Game 1 I keep a 4 land hand and draw 5 lands in a row. Game 2 I mull a 2 lander with off colors into a 1 lander. I draw my second, and never hit my fourth over the next 7 turns.

Game 3. Don't hit land 4 until turn 6. Game 4 don't hit land 4 until turn 6. Both my opponents found all three colors every game and never missed a drop.

This is the worst I have ever done at an event, and was incredibly frustrating.
I did open 2 chupas though.My vampire synergy was lacking due to not having enough 1 or 2 drops.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Went 3-0 with Vampires. :toot: got a couple taplands to fix mana, 2 Lietenants, Bishop, call to feast, and some decent stuff to fill the ol' curve.

Between me and my kid opening 4 prerelease packs and like 10-11 boosters I didn't see one fuckin' goatsucker.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
4-0, being greedy as hell.

GB splashing white for Kinjalli's Suncaller and Zetalpa, and Red for Angrath and the other half of Zacama :getin:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Went 2-2, my only bombs being a Gishath and the pinging Regisaur. I ended up switching to black red to get a couple of pieces of removal going and it worked a little better but that's sealed for you. Hodana's climb is rad, and vigilance 3/3 for 2 raptor is nice in limited, especially with white mark of the vampire.

Girlfriend drew two Angrath's, so that was definitely fun to watch.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

DangerDongs posted:

Went 0 and 2 losing to a garbage pull and land issues every game.
Game 1 I keep a 4 land hand and draw 5 lands in a row. Game 2 I mull a 2 lander with off colors into a 1 lander. I draw my second, and never hit my fourth over the next 7 turns.

Game 3. Don't hit land 4 until turn 6. Game 4 don't hit land 4 until turn 6. Both my opponents found all three colors every game and never missed a drop.

This is the worst I have ever done at an event, and was incredibly frustrating.
I did open 2 chupas though.My vampire synergy was lacking due to not having enough 1 or 2 drops.

I feel ya, I went 1-2 roughly the same way; flooded late and then early to lose round 1 with 0-2, then flooded again and finished with a good ol' color screw to get my second 0-2.

When I finally got to play the game in round 3, I won. My 1-2 streak in Limited since coming back to Magic remains unbroken.

EDIT: Yes, I had 16-17 lands in, and no, they weren't all in one color. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
came home to watch football instead of prereleasing. opened my packs at home.

my pool sucked on wheels anyway. promo was that 1W sorcery that prevents them from doing something on their turn or whatever.

not even a notrataal!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did not play. I stood at the counter for 5 minutes staring at the fat bitch (boy) talking to his mom on the phone instead of helping any customers. Walked and will never return. Guess I gotta buy at walmart.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
My pool was interesting, black and red had access to an iffy aggressive pirate deck but no removal outside of a lightning strike plus no looters or card draw so that was set aside.

White was very mediocre creature wise but I had two luminous bonds, one pious interdiction, and the vampire that exiles a creature. Green had some fixing, multiple hunt the weak, and access to four huge dinos. Blue had a ton of evasive / ETB merfolk along with seafloor Oracle, bounce spells, and the claustrophobia. Had travelers amulet and evolving wilds too. I also had one merfolk lord in my pool. I ended up in blue splash green and white for the exile / pacifism cards. Green was limited to just the lord. Had multiple games where I did stupid stuff like have 4 merfolk on my turn four untap, three had evasion, slammed seafloor oracle and drew three cards, went to my next turn just started bouncing / exiling their stuff and drawing more cards.

2-0’d all my opponents until the final round where I went 1-2 in a very close 3 game set against a naya dinosaur deck that was filled with trampling, enraged, and some haste-y dinosaurs accelerated out early and backed up by burn - basically exactly what I didn’t want to see. Left with a bunch of rivals packs ( no store credit offered at pre-releases : ( )

And, people... if you open profane procession, play the drat card. It is awesome with even the most meager support

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Went 2-2 with UG Merfolk, didn't really have any bombs so I think I did alright.

I got a Profane Procession promo card I was dying to use but my W/B spread was uh...not meant to be.

Edit: ^^ Welp :v:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Playables seem to be few and far between, which is odd because I didn't think the power level is bad overall. I played B/G value thanks to Carnage Tyrant and the chupacabra, but I had to play Canal Monitor, the ascend horse and the 3/1 flier to make it to 23 cards, and I literally didn't have a playable number of cards in any other color. And it seems like everyone was having similar issues, since I went 3-1 and my loss was partly due to a bad mulligan decision.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has SCG given up on MTGO videos?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Has SCG given up on MTGO videos?

considering channel fireball has been curbstomping them in content for a few years now I don't understand why there is a paywall. You are paying the highest paywall price out there for the worst content.

Elves players, what are your bad matchups right now?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 14, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

considering channel fireball has been curbstomping them in content for a few years now I don't understand why there is a paywall. You are paying the highest paywall price out there for the worst content.

Their modo vids have been free (w/o the previous delay for non subs) for a while now. But there's been less of them recently and there haven't been any at all for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ShaneB posted:

If Attune and, say, Rogue Refiner get banned, but not Aether Hub, will something like Grixis Midrange still be solid? I'm kind of wondering if I should have my cart full and ready to go with something prior to B&R announcement. But why tho...

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/889886#paper

Yeah it will be well positioned, but the Duresses belong SB and the Hostage Takers should probably be chups.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Their modo vids have been free (w/o the previous delay for non subs) for a while now. But there's been less of them recently and there haven't been any at all for a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken.

My guess is nobody wants to play Standard cause it sucks, and nobody wants to play Modern because the PT's coming up, and nobody remembers Legacy exists.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Went 2-3-1 with a mediocre pool and then 1-2 in my first and only 2HG because oh my god I will never play that garbage format again. Only like 6 of our rares were even playable while our opponents would play bomb into bomb with like 3 pieces of removal to back it up. Well at least I found out that it's not just Commander I can't stand, I just really don't like multiplayer Magic in general.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Yeah it will be well positioned, but the Duresses belong SB and the Hostage Takers should probably be chups.

Agreed, T1 will between this and whatever the best aggro red deck (either Ramunap or R/RB/RU pirates) will be. Once Attune is gone, you can cut green from any deck pretty much.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Had a pretty bad pool but still went 4-1 tonight. Was on the vampire plan and pretty much won most matches because people are too scared of skullduggery and the phrase "Oh, I should keep that open" is really way more effective than it should be.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I've been playing magic since Rise of the Eldrazi (technically since Ice Age, but I only played for a bit and then took a long break in between) and this is the first prerelease I've skipped since then. The style of gameplay and the trend that they've been going in is just so unexciting.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

there really do seem to be relatively few cards in rivals worth buying for any format

i did a bunch of merfolk since that's the one bright spot and if i play standard it'll be that, a playset of red snapper and i want legion lieutenant and elenda for edh, but, uh

e: i guess i should also get a blood sun for edh too

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sickening posted:

Elves players, what are your bad matchups right now?

Modern or Legacy?

I think the answer is usually Storm in both formats but I'm not all that up on the Modern ~metagame~. Typically faster decks or decks with effective wraths, I think.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ravenous Chupacabra was a mistaaaake, holy cats. I'm shocked that made it out of the design file

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bant Spirits crew- does the deck still run a singleton Kira?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ravenous Chupacabra was a mistaaaake, holy cats. I'm shocked that made it out of the design file

The only mistake was that it wasn't a vampire.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

I cut it almost immediately.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The only mistake is that Scarab God won't get banned tomorrow

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah, imo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I cut it almost immediately.

Nuts, some dude wants to trade for a bunch of my EDH dreck but that's the only pricey thing he has that I might use (been picking up the cheap cards for Spirits).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

I think it’s a fine game 1 card that gets cut for sideboard items after. I have 2 in my list for now because I can’t think of a more genetically powerful creature to put in that slot.

I kind of want to make u/w spirits happen with caverns and vials but it feels like a worse deck without nobles. The turns 2 plays are so much better and exalted is great for the flyers.

For the love of god stop playing god head if you haven’t.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I slotted one back in and I think it’s fine against a lot of decks. As a one-of it is good. But I will mostly cut it against decks that don’t run removal for games 2 and 3.

Flashing one in off a rattlechains is cool and good though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Flashing one in off a rattlechains is cool and good though.

This doesn't work how you want it to.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

This doesn't work how you want it to.

I'm not trying to do it in response to a spell (it won't counter it) I'm saying that flashing in a kira off a rattlechains is a good play that feels good against a lot of decks.

However the real giant brain play is to have a kira in play, have your opponent have a spell get countered by it, cast a second spell targeting it, and then flashing a rattlechains in to give kira hexproof after that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I think it’s a fine game 1 card that gets cut for sideboard items after. I have 2 in my list for now because I can’t think of a more genetically powerful creature to put in that slot.

I kind of want to make u/w spirits happen with caverns and vials but it feels like a worse deck without nobles. The turns 2 plays are so much better and exalted is great for the flyers.

For the love of god stop playing god head if you haven’t.

When I played Modern, I had a UW spirits deck with vials and it performed splendidly. Opponents would always feel like you had a counter in the form of a creature or spell when you would leave the vial or lands open, respectively, which leads them to either make conservative plays, to their own downfall, or reckless ones... to their own downfall. I ran Favorable Winds and Drogskol Captains in the deck, so there was plenty of boosting for the fliers, and the game was pretty much over if you managed to resolve two Captains. Couldn't and still can't afford Nobles or Caverns, so it worked great as a less expensive build.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Matsuri posted:

...either make conservative plays, to their own downfall, or reckless ones... to their own downfall.

Luv2notplayMagicVsBlue

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Luv2notplayMagicVsBlue

It's less because I was playing blue and more because absolutely everything in the deck, short of Favorable Winds and the lands, worked at instant speed, so I would always have the ability to make plays at the very last second necessary-- the creatures were all able to be vialed in (which was easy for any of them because the deck curved out at 3 CMC), or could be flashed in via Rattlechains. It also worked in an offensive way as well, because after my opponent would tap out to attack/cast spells, I'd vial/flash in a creature at the end of their turn so it could survive and attack on my own upcoming turn, letting me hold vial/mana up for the next turn. Mind games!

Flash is probably my favorite mechanic in Magic, right next to flickering.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Truthiness 2U or 1UU

Instant

Reveal the top three cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Too good for standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nah that seems like a fair card to print.