Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/mar_mar_draws/status/952426369580806144?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

important research in the field of devilmen

https://twitter.com/kiyala/status/951796065526673408

Where's Go Nagai CB Chara World and Cyborg 009 vs Devilman

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this was sthe first new anime i've watched in years and it owned and the soundtrack especially owned

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Where's Go Nagai CB Chara World and Cyborg 009 vs Devilman

iirc the cyborg vs devilman akira was mentioned in replies as being on the level of manga akira

no dice on cb chara world

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It's kind of weird but what was originally was a very 6-8 out of 10 for a lot of people on this show has quickly turned around to like, an 8-10 out of 10 for people because aniyoutubers are talking about it a lot. It's still a solid 8 for me though, since while at first I was "eh" finishing the show, it's stuck with me for awhile.

Also even loving pewdiepie talking about it, too.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 14, 2018

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It felt very 6-7ish for me at first because the fast pace didn't give me much time to process the characters or their motivations, but after reading a few critiques and rewatching a couple bits I really started to appreciate all the levels it spoke on.

Some of the sexual aspects didn't seem to add much to anything ( Akira raping Siren mid battle and Miki/Miko's rape and decapitation), but the most frustrating part was that we never really got much time to really feel Akira and Ryo's relationship until the end.

I almost wish it was a weekly release, because then the online discourse between episodes would've made it a more enjoyable first watch. I am glad that we got a shot of Akira's monster dong though, poo poo was hilarious. I was a little annoyed that it was only restricted to the second ep though, we got so much (unnecessary) cameltoe in every other episode.

I mostly appreciated how gay the entire show was. It's funny that something so old is so queer, yet most of the works it inspired seems to have left those parts out.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 14, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i had to rewatch the first 3 episodes after the initial watch because i was too drunk to remember anything

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I know Ryo/akira was always super gay but wasn't pretty much all the rest of the gay stuff added by crybaby?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I almost wish it was a weekly release, because then the online discourse between episodes would've made it a more enjoyable first watch. I am glad that we got a shot of Akira's monster dong though, poo poo was hilarious. I was a little annoyed that it was only restricted to the second ep though, we got so much (unnecessary) cameltoe in every other episode.

I feel the complete opposite wrt its release. If it was weekly way fewer people would have seen it because the juiciest parts are in the second half, so word of mouth wouldn't be nearly as potent as it was (I'm still surprised that there's a lot of Devilman memes in 2018. What a world). Also it really cuts down on speculation-posting which imo is by far the weakest part of online discourse, I'd glad that the conversation from the get-go was around stuff that happened in the show instead of stuff that may or may not happen in the show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show benefited greatly from binge watching vs weekly release, because otherwise the 2nd half would have been bogged down by a month of discussion about weird inconsistencies in pacing/narrative/story/themes, etc.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Devilmeme

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I disagree about binge watching because I think I would have liked the first 4 episodes more if I had watched them with a week's break

It's too much bad poo poo at one time

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished, but I have no idea where to start processing what I just watched. Are there any interesting write-ups on this show yet?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

I disagree about binge watching because I think I would have liked the first 4 episodes more if I had watched them with a week's break

It's too much bad poo poo at one time

I mean, no one forced you to binge.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's kind of weird but what was originally was a very 6-8 out of 10 for a lot of people on this show has quickly turned around to like, an 8-10 out of 10 for people because aniyoutubers are talking about it a lot. It's still a solid 8 for me though, since while at first I was "eh" finishing the show, it's stuck with me for awhile.

Also even loving pewdiepie talking about it, too.

please do not insinuate my opinions are influenced by aniyoutubers

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
your dad is a aniyoutuber

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Just finished watching and drat what a wild, wild ride.

Episodes 8-10 will stick with me for a long time. One thing (among many) that i really liked was the running metaphor and how that turned out at the end. Yes, it was cheesy and too "on the nose", but worked for me.

Never having heard of Go Nagai/Devilman before i was kinda shocked by how much poo poo was pulled almost direclty from other shows, in particular EVA and Berserk. It's just one season? Is there more material for Netflix to adapt depending on reception?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Just finished watching and drat what a wild, wild ride.

Episodes 8-10 will stick with me for a long time. One thing (among many) that i really liked was the running metaphor and how that turned out at the end. Yes, it was cheesy and too "on the nose", but worked for me.

Never having heard of Go Nagai/Devilman before i was kinda shocked by how much poo poo was pulled almost direclty from other shows, in particular EVA and Berserk. It's just one season? Is there more material for Netflix to adapt depending on reception?

It’s the other way around. Devilman was massively influential.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Is there more material for Netflix to adapt depending on reception?

Technically yes, but you don't want an accurate adaptation of Devilman Lady or Violence Jack. There was a lot of sex stuff in this one, but my god the sex stuff in those mangas is not. Good.

That said I'd be down for a reboot of the Devilman Lady anime they did - it's got something interesting going on in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Technically yes, but you don't want an accurate adaptation of Devilman Lady or Violence Jack. There was a lot of sex stuff in this one, but my god the sex stuff in those mangas is not. Good.

That said I'd be down for a reboot of the Devilman Lady anime they did - it's got something interesting going on in it.

They also brought a lot of the more interesting stuff in Lady (the details of the loop system, the character who would become Miko, the devilmen’s struggle with their nature) into Crybaby anyway, so an adaptation of that one feels even more redundant unless you want to see Yuasa’s depiction of Hell (which would, admittedly, be cool) or wall-to-wall rape (which would be less cool - and for everyone who said the rape goes away in the second half, gently caress you no it doesn’t).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I watched the two OVAs and now I think Crybaby would have benefited from some Foghorn Leghorn impressions.

"AH dont KEEL when AH EAT"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Devilman Grimoire looks decently interesting. Maybe give it an adaption.

(Note:Have never read Devilman Grimoire.)

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

That interview earlier in the thread with Anno and Nagai indicated that Eva was at the very least subconsciously inspired by Devilman, and I felt like that shone through more and more as Crybaby started wrapping up. Is the ending of the manga at all visually similar to what we see in Crybaby? I got heavy End of Eva vibes in the last episode. Wondering if the manga inspired that or if End of Eva inspired the end of Crybaby, or some meta blend of the two. Anyway the show was good. I hope Netflix hemorrhages some more money into more manga adaptations and anime in general.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The end of the manga is pretty similar except the moon isn't split in half and Ryo is a lot less broken up about Akira dying, though he does still regret what he did to humans because he realizes it was the same as what God did to the demons.

EDIT: Oh also there's no final shot indicating the Earth reformed for another cycle, it just ends with the other angels appearing. That idea was introduced in Devilman Lady, as other people have said.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 15, 2018

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I thought the manga ended with a panel of Satan in some kind of hydra/chimera form going ham and destroying the planet? Haven't read it in 10 years so kinda rusty

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

I thought the manga ended with a panel of Satan in some kind of hydra/chimera form going ham and destroying the planet? Haven't read it in 10 years so kinda rusty

It does not. The hydra/chimera is Zenon, his top lieutenant, who’s a major presence in the endgame but does not blow up the planet. The final panel is Satan weeping over Akira’s corpse as the forces of Heaven descend on him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

It does not. The hydra/chimera is Zenon, his top lieutenant, who’s a major presence in the endgame but does not blow up the planet. The final panel is Satan weeping over Akira’s corpse as the forces of Heaven descend on him.

Zenon got sort of robbed in Crybaby as mentioned

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy gently caress I just finished this. I've never seen or read any Devilman before but this was so loving good. Its going to be real hard to top this anime this year.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I remember the manga end being the same except Satan is a lot more lovey dovey

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s the other way around. Devilman was massively influential.

Finding out that the original manga ran just around when Anno was hitting puberty explains... some things.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Met up with my sister for lunch over the weekend. After reflecting on the series/laughing at some dumb devijokes she burst into tears once discussion led to the later half of the series.

Devilman Crybaby is real good y'all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheComicFiend posted:

Met up with my sister for lunch over the weekend. After reflecting on the series/laughing at some dumb devijokes she burst into tears once discussion led to the later half of the series.

Maybe she was crying...for you. :smith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
As part of my resolution to actually immerse myself in anime instead of just reading manga, I sat down and watched the first five episodes of this since I've seen it all over Twitter. I'm only kinda sorta familiar with Go Nagai's work and what the old Devilman OVA was like so in a way, I'm coming into this show pretty fresh.

I really like it, it's fast paced, it knows what it's about and despite looking wonky at times in art style, it works for the show's favor instead of against it. Music is awesome and I like it when Ryo and Akira hug, it's very sweet. I'll probably be able to finish in a week and I'll put some final thoughts down. If anything, this show reminds me why I love anime.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 16, 2018

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Raxivace posted:

Maybe she was crying...for you. :smith:

:unsmith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Compendium posted:

As part of my resolution to actually immerse myself in anime instead of just reading manga, I sat down and watched the first five episodes of this since I've seen it all over Twitter. I'm only kinda sorta familiar with Go Nagai's work and what the old Devilman OVA was like so in a way, I'm coming into this show pretty fresh.

I really like it, it's fast paced, it knows what it's about and despite looking wonky at times in art style, it works for the show's favor instead of against it. Music is awesome and I like it when Ryo and Akira hug, it's very sweet. I'll probably be able to finish in a week and I'll put some final thoughts down. If anything, this show reminds me why I love anime.

drat brace yourself dude

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

TheComicFiend posted:

is she single?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Compendium posted:

*pats your back* Be strong.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/pix_bun/status/953033352931504128

The twitter Devilman Crybaby experience: enjoying the tons of wonderful art while simultaneously warning unsuspecting friends that the show has a ton of violence, sexual violence, and intensely depressing/tragic themes, so watch it safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yuasa will be doing a reddit AMA on the 20th

• Locked thread