Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Please make sure this is at the end of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

wizard on a water slide posted:

hey psst all those extremely lovely streams everyone hates, the ones full of mean ole moderators and dipshit 19 year old virgins making fun of queers and weird old it guys? you don't have to join any of them

you can just watch the stream while hanging out with friends or playing a videogame or posting itt instead, you don't have to engage with it at all and you'll still have a good time except when you don't and when you don't you can just ignore the stream and do something else until the next game

it's pretty easy and a good way to be

:yeah:

I don't come to these threads to be reminded of the loving dregs of the rest of the internet

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The Aristocrats!

I said something about it in the rush of posts awhile back but when I occasionally post something like "is this run over yet" it's meant to be in good fun based on the mood of the thread, and I try not to do that too much. I know not all runs are for me and there were quite a few runs I figured I wouldn't be into at all and I did not post during those. No disrespect is meant towards any of the people, runners, tech crew etc who work hard to make a run go well, and I hope in general I don't come off that way.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 14, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm looking forward to so much catching up

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I watched AGDQ on our smart TV twitch app so that I could watch it on the big screen instead and I don't think there was a way to configure it to show any stream but the default twitch one, so there kind of wasn't any way to look away from apparently the worst and spammiest chat channel about the event

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I watched AGDQ on our smart TV twitch app so that I could watch it on the big screen instead and I don't think there was a way to configure it to show any stream but the default twitch one, so there kind of wasn't any way to look away from apparently the worst and spammiest chat channel about the event

Nah, the worst chat of all time are the LoL chats.

Or DOTA, not sure which, but yeah.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

beep by grandpa posted:

To put my own spin on it, you've prob noticed I get really heated about that subject and that's because I see it as 100% non-constructive negativity and I cannot stress enough that it legit pisses me off because I like these threads to have an upbeat, positive, friendly vibe and twitch poo poo is *completely* avoidable and always brings the mood in the thread down for pages at a time. Public internet anonymity is inherently mean and negative. We have all been around here long enough to know that and there is no reason at all to indulge in something you know will only harm yourself.

It's like telling us you saw poop on the sidewalk and then decided to step in the poop that you saw on the sidewalk and then swiftly ran back here tracking it everywhere to complain about the poop that you saw on the sidewalk and then stepped in and thus you have now filled our thread with the stench of your poop shoes and negativity. Thank you all for not wearing any poop shoes in my thread, I think we'll be able to reuse the carpet for next year :)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
where is the sent supercut

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Be the change you want to see in the world

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lmao

I just want a GDQ where everyone gets to enjoy whatever venue they choose. trihex pleb chat, the gdq sub chat, these threads, crazy r/speedrun conspiracy theory threads, 4chan threads full of insane /pol/sters. please enjoy your shame cube of choice and donate to a charity, the nice thing is that there's plenty of options and you aren't forced to use any of them (please don't use 4chan). I just wanted to let people know that pleb chat was fun and maybe worth checking out at SGDQ. namaste.

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 14, 2018

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

you guys are weird

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

a.lo posted:

you guys are weird

:emptyquote:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I was much less active this gdq than the last few because irl and whatnot. I have a lot of fun runs to look forward to and enjoyed the limited time i could spend shitposting here. thanks

a.lo posted:

we're weird, you guys

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo 14,000 posts to catch up on :stare:

Still sad that I had to miss all of the final day. I'll try to catch up on everything I missed during the week.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

beep by grandpa posted:

Also jesus christ Trihex with a beard looks like if I had an identical twin.

Txt me

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Reporting in from AGDQ teardown:

https://twitter.com/musicaldaredevl/status/952659761127919617

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gamerofthegame posted:

where is the sent supercut

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

itskage posted:

What stuff was agdq moderating that didn't fall into those categories though?

I got banned once a few years ago for joining in the ResidentSleeper spam when a guy was doing a boring as gently caress glitch exhibition.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm glad I caught the Bloodborne run. That was fun.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Great thread everyone; looking forward to catching up on the runs I missed whilst going back and having this open for the stuff I wasn't around for.

Really looking forward to finding out what this Arabian Nights thing everyone keeps bringing up was all about.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

Paused posted:

Great thread everyone; looking forward to catching up on the runs I missed whilst going back and having this open for the stuff I wasn't around for.

Really looking forward to finding out what this Arabian Nights thing everyone keeps bringing up was all about.

wasn't that good, easily skippable

go watch Metroid Prime 3 instead

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this was great, just a great time. still vaguely buzzing and can't wait for next year

everyone rightly talks about Arabian Nights but for those who want something short and extremely sweet - the overhyped late-night crowd antics of ENVIRO-BEAR bring a smile to my face every time.

also good: the Yoshi's Island race, which ended up being very very close between all four runners, and set the stage for a Calco redemption later in the Super Mario World race. both had great commentary. the Resident Evil 7 run was a great, fun run with some really good runner moments. if you haven't played Res Evil 7 and don't intend to, it's hilariously gory and over-the-top ridiculous, and the run shows off a lot of this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Is the BotW run worth watching?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jmcrofts posted:

Is the BotW run worth watching?

It's ok, the joy of seeing him launch himself all over the place wore off quickly for me so for most of the 4 hours I was bored.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey friends, it was a pleasure shitposting and :emptyquote:ing with you. see you for SGDQ 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's ok, the joy of seeing him launch himself all over the place wore off quickly for me so for most of the 4 hours I was bored.

shoulda been AD so hard

its 2 hours instead of 4 and just as you get tired of seeing launches they start doing Flying machine

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/how-to-play-and-broadcast-video-games-non-stop-for-a-week-straight/

quote:

"A lot of people play at home on HDTVs, which have a lot of latency," Turpie said. "They come here and we set them up on a lagless monitor, [they say] 'This feels so weird,' Sometimes we say, 'Well, we have this monitor with lag,' and they're like 'Perfect!'"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I first started playing sm64 through my capture device and OH MAN was I bad when I got a crt set up

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

SeXReX posted:

wasn't that good, easily skippable

go watch Metroid Prime 3 instead

Ha; thank you for your invaluable advice but I was 'lucky' enough to catch that one live. Weird that Claris and Kirbymasta went from an awesome Sonic Mania run to... er, that, in pretty much 24 hours or so. Oh well, can't win them all I guess. I'm happy the Mania run went so well.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I knew about trihex chat

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Paused posted:

Ha; thank you for your invaluable advice but I was 'lucky' enough to catch that one live. Weird that Claris and Kirbymasta went from an awesome Sonic Mania run to... er, that, in pretty much 24 hours or so. Oh well, can't win them all I guess. I'm happy the Mania run went so well.

It's possible that she was having issues dividing her practice time between the two runs for proper preparation. That actually sounds kinda like a nightmare, having 2 really hard technical runs in the same marathon.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Claris' Mania run was practically flawless and it was SO loving good to watch live

Metroid was garbaggio

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
So that ALTTP run. That was a hell of a freak'n run, even by normal standards. I really wish they had had standard after-race commentary on stream but other than that I don't think the rando race could have gone any better for the community. Looking forward to seeing more at SGDQ.

If Christos had taken a normal GT route Bugnet would have been the deciding item. Swordless is now my favorite mode bwahaha.

This week started out pretty meh on the first day but got waaaay better toward the end.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Concerning Secret of Evermore I was hoping it would be a good run but kept seeing people say it was trash (it's a trash game, so not too surprising) so I just kinda clicked around it a little bit and figured I'd share what is likely the best part of the run if it was, indeed, trash.
https://clips.twitch.tv/GrossHomelyChowderHeyGuys

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have now updated the goon-sourced list of recommendations in the other thread, for those who wonder what to watch. It might get some more runs added to it if people think something big is missing, but it should be nearly final at least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

a.lo posted:

you guy are sick

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

SeXReX posted:

It's possible that she was having issues dividing her practice time between the two runs for proper preparation. That actually sounds kinda like a nightmare, having 2 really hard technical runs in the same marathon.

Yeah no kidding; I came home for the second day in a row to see her do a run and my reaction was, 'another one?!' Mania and Prime don't exactly feature similar features. I guess Samus is part Bird or something is about as close as it gets.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Paused posted:

Yeah no kidding; I came home for the second day in a row to see her do a run and my reaction was, 'another one?!' Mania and Prime don't exactly feature similar features. I guess Samus is part Bird or something is about as close as it gets.

Guess you forgot about them both being able to morph into small spheres to fit into small passages, having evil black re-colored alter-egos, exclusive wii games in 2010 and eating tons of chili dogs on their saturday morning cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

• Locked thread