Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

But... why? Is this a stylistic choice or is it some kind of cost-cutting measure?

I don't know if that's the actual intent or not, and it probably isn't.

I kinda dig it though. Like what if Laika did a superhero movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

But... why? Is this a stylistic choice or is it some kind of cost-cutting measure?

It's a style thing. But it could also be both. Lego Movie also did it, but it was literally nodding to homemade Lego movies. Wasn't there some relatively recent animated film that people thought was stop motion but was actually completely CG?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's definitely a stylistic choice. They've also got deliberate uneven lines, and there's even CGI newsprint dots. I don't know if they're trying to emulate stop motion so much as they think it contributes to looking more like a "moving comic book".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I really like it. I hope this is successful just so we can get more of this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ToastyPotato posted:

It's a style thing. But it could also be both. Lego Movie also did it, but it was literally nodding to homemade Lego movies. Wasn't there some relatively recent animated film that people thought was stop motion but was actually completely CG?

Kuvo? Boxtrolls? Coraline? Paranorman?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kubo was a mix of both stop motion and CGI IIRC.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Kuvo? Boxtrolls? Coraline? Paranorman?

I think Coraline might be what I was thinking. But maybe also Boxtrolls?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coraline was made almost entirely in stop motion, and it was an insane undertaking. The only things they CG'd was the stuff they absolutely had to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh right and I remember a Paranorman featurette with the animator sculptor director showing off the girl villain's smear/tweening models when she's freaking out

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They auctioned off a bunch of the Coraline heads a couple years back, there were hundreds.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah maybe I was having some kind of fever dream. Outside of Lego Movie, a quick google doesn't yield any results for CG stop motion feature films. Everything else is hybrid. Even Lego Movie is technically a hybrid, thought it is "mostly CG".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah maybe I was having some kind of fever dream. Outside of Lego Movie, a quick google doesn't yield any results for CG stop motion feature films. Everything else is hybrid. Even Lego Movie is technically a hybrid, thought it is "mostly CG".

I think it's just because the internet is quick to talk bullshit. When Coraline first released every other website I saw was talking about how it was "All CG done to look like stop-motion!". People read something like that once and just pass it on and forget it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

There was Flushed Away which was CG made to look like an Aardman movie. (Might not be the same thing you're talking about.)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was Flushed Away which was CG made to look like an Aardman movie. (Might not be the same thing you're talking about.)

They even modelled fingerprints in the "clay" each character was made up of, it was quite detailed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuego Fish posted:

They even modelled fingerprints in the "clay" each character was made up of, it was quite detailed.
That's pretty cool.

I know I freaked out when I could see fingerprints on the little Lego bodies in Lego Movie.

Also the broken helmet part for the Bennie. :blush:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans is going to start getting blu-ray releases: https://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B078J1TLBX

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Teen Titans is going to start getting blu-ray releases: https://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B078J1TLBX

Are the masters in HD?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure, details are sparse.

Hopefully it's not just putting the DVD versions on a blu-ray disc, but the Brave and the Bold blu-rays were pretty good so I'm hopeful.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Has The Cartoon Network abandoned Justice League Action?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mister Kingdom posted:

Has The Cartoon Network abandoned Justice League Action?

Yeah I think they did it minute one when they put it at 7 AM Saturday once a week and nothing else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't know what that scheduling decision was about. I mean even if Saturday morning cartoons were still A Thing (which they aren't), 7 AM is just too drat early. I mean there is a part of me that gets all tinfoil-hat-conspiracy and wants to say it was an intentional move to kill the show, but no network wants programming to bomb or they wouldn't greenlight it in the first place.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't think you can accuse Cartoon Network of making smart decisions all of the time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I don't know what that scheduling decision was about. I mean even if Saturday morning cartoons were still A Thing (which they aren't), 7 AM is just too drat early. I mean there is a part of me that gets all tinfoil-hat-conspiracy and wants to say it was an intentional move to kill the show, but no network wants programming to bomb or they wouldn't greenlight it in the first place.

Never underestimate the insanity of internal corporate drama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
CN and DC Animation have a strange rivalry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsterEnvy posted:

CN and DC Animation have a strange rivalry.
"What? That show for a series that won't sell toys didn't get the ratings when we put it in a 6am timeslot on alternating Tuesdays? Well guess we'll have to kill it"

-- A network executive, probably.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPZZvk-wbGE

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wow, that looks bad.

Never trust any Suicide Squad thing that has skinny Amanda Waller and/or Harley Quinn in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who does batgirl gently caress in this one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Wow, that looks bad.

Never trust any Suicide Squad thing that has skinny Amanda Waller and/or Harley Quinn in it.

Harley is going to be in every suicide squad thing until the end of time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Never trust Suicide Squad again.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Suicide Squad always makes me wonder: who in comics has done the absolute worst and still was able to be redeemed and become a "hero" again? John Stewart?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Um, loving Hal Jordan by a mile.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What did John Stewart ever do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Suicide Squad always makes me wonder: who in comics has done the absolute worst and still was able to be redeemed and become a "hero" again? John Stewart?

Hal Jordan became a genocidal space madman and still got to go back to hero team after a dose of 'it wasn't my fault, it was the yellow fear bug."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

John blew up a planet, once. And I forgot about Hal Jordan because Hal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure it's been retconned a couple times but I thought Stewart blew up that planet on accident.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Who does batgirl gently caress in this one

Lurdiak posted:

Um, loving Hal Jordan by a mile.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hiddenriverninja posted:

Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom have both had recent runs at being a hero. Magneto's been back and forward over the years. The Illuminati have all been dicks (to varying extents).

It's still Hal Jordan though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What about Jean Gray? She destroyed entire star systems as the Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Illuminati is kinda of a reverse, right? They are all - arguably - heroes who decided they were powerful enough to play puppet master.