Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pope Guilty posted:

"But it worked great for L5R!"

L5R defined those changes with, like, tournament reports that are easy to compile and categorize. A report written by LARPers is likely to be half-written fabrication and barely suitable english that only sometimes is sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

"But it worked great for L5R!"
No matter what you're talking about, this is a wrong statement.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yawgmoth posted:

No matter what you're talking about, this is a wrong statement.

I liked the year where every story was Unicorn Guy does a thing, but the Ratlings helped! (because they had no explanation how barbaric animal dudes winning every tournament could make sense in 80 percent of stories)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Was integrating those tournament results into the story Wick's idea or Dancey's?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I liked the year where every story was Unicorn Guy does a thing, but the Ratlings helped! (because they had no explanation how barbaric animal dudes winning every tournament could make sense in 80 percent of stories)
I liked the stories with the one rando who just picked up a sword and some armor off some dead samurai and just happened to wander into every single battle of note and help the winning side so they gave him a minor clan (because his card was the L5R equivalent of a 1/1 for 1 mana so he was an auto-include for every deck)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yawgmoth posted:

I liked the stories with the one rando who just picked up a sword and some armor off some dead samurai and just happened to wander into every single battle of note and help the winning side so they gave him a minor clan (because his card was the L5R equivalent of a 1/1 for 1 mana so he was an auto-include for every deck)

Toku is one of the only things in L5R that unambigiously owns.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Night10194 posted:

Toku is one of the only things in L5R that unambigiously owns.

Agreed. The best thing about the Monkey Clan existing and him being a peasant was that it totally took the wind out of the sails of the Kolats mission statement.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

The gap between their "Netflix series by X!" plan and what they seem to actually be doing is hilarious honestly. Like they've announced this huge multimedia setting and we've seen signs of what, exactly? Honestly a quick F2P Hunter phone game would be great for them, it would bring in a few bucks and open up the setting to an entire new 'vampires and modern supernatural' market that would never, ever hear of WoD otherwise.
I don't think Hunter: the Reckoning would really be a hit with the general public.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zereth posted:

I don't think Hunter: the Reckoning would really be a hit with the general public.

Maybe about 10 years ago that would've been the time for a "normal folks fighting monsters hiding in the shadows" bit but this is 2018. People don't want to fight the fishman, they want to gently caress him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Slimnoid posted:

Maybe about 10 years ago that would've been the time for a "normal folks fighting monsters hiding in the shadows" bit but this is 2018. People don't want to fight the fishman, they want to gently caress him.

Finally, the Innocent Creed's time to shine!

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Zereth posted:

There was that video game in 2002. Granted it was closer thematically to the artwork then the written content of the books.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

My point was that Hunter: the Reckoning isn't a "normal folks fighting monsters" deal. But yeah you have a point too.

MuscaDomestica posted:

There was that video game in 2002. Granted it was closer thematically to the artwork then the written content of the books.
Well yes I suppose if you throw out the entire concept and just make a different game with the name on it....

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zereth posted:

I'm not so sure about that. Supernatural is basically a high powered Hunter: the Reckoning campaign with main characters that are actually effective at changing the world instead of getting snuffed out the second they go up against some ancient monster instead of their foot soldiers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The only thing that is "Normal people fighting monsters" about Reckoning is the tagline, a group of non-stupid people with the first two levels of their default powers could train wreck like 90% of the monsters in the WoD. If they didn't throw in "Yeah but you suck and also you will 100% go insane and die" mechanics the Hunters would have wrapped that poo poo up inside a decade no problem.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Archonex posted:

I'm not so sure about that. Supernatural is basically a high powered Hunter: the Reckoning campaign with main characters that are actually effective at changing the world instead of getting snuffed out the second they go up against some ancient monster instead of their foot soldiers.

A big part of its popularity, from what I understand, is less about "fighting monsters" and more about the possibility of incestuous loving between the two male leads.

So we'd need to figure out which WoD splat has the most incestuous loving.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Bedlamdan posted:

So we'd need to figure out which WoD splat has the most incestuous loving.

I assume Beast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Don't forget kneecapping a clan's story because that clan had momentum and thus the majority didn't like that a clan that wasn't theirs having momentum. Or a tournament winner who was just bandwagoning with the hot power deck voting for something to screw over the clan he was playing as.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

cptn_dr posted:

I assume Beast.

oVampire, actually.

Clan Giovanni had some really hosed up writeups.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Good old batshit Necromancy rituals...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mors Rattus posted:

oVampire, actually.

That was gonna be my second guess, closely followed by oChangeling.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

(because his card was the L5R equivalent of a 1/1 for 1 mana so he was an auto-include for every deck)

A plain 1/1 for 1 CMC is really not an auto-include in Magic. I don't think it's ever been. :goonsay:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

LatwPIAT posted:

A plain 1/1 for 1 CMC is really not an auto-include in Magic. I don't think it's ever been. :goonsay:

In L5R it meant you had a target for cards from your hard and other boosts. Because unlike magic when it came out you could not split your gold so if you had a one production holding and a five production holding you would have to use both to get Toku with the one production and the five production one for anything that was 1-5 gold cost because that extra money disappears when buying a cheap dude.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LatwPIAT posted:

Depends on the deck and the format :goonsay: but yeah I worded that awkwardly. I've never actually played the L5R card game but from what I understood from my friends who have, it was crazy good since everyone could use him and came out basically as soon as you got him in hand.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Got a Changeling question:

Had an idea for a character who basically has a sort of death/decay aura about him. A very weak one, of course. He doesn't kill anyone he touches, but he was used as sort of a composter by his Keeper. He'd sit on a box of plant matter and it'd turn into compost. Although he'd kill the rest of the garden whenever he tried to take a stroll through it.

Does this correspond with any real powers anywhere I could steal from, or am I working with my ST to make something up from scratch?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Xinder posted:

Got a Changeling question:

Had an idea for a character who basically has a sort of death/decay aura about him. A very weak one, of course. He doesn't kill anyone he touches, but he was used as sort of a composter by his Keeper. He'd sit on a box of plant matter and it'd turn into compost. Although he'd kill the rest of the garden whenever he tried to take a stroll through it.

Does this correspond with any real powers anywhere I could steal from, or am I working with my ST to make something up from scratch?

A leechfinger Kith maybe? It exists in both 1e and 2e.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Jade Mage posted:

A leechfinger Kith maybe? It exists in both 1e and 2e.

isn't that just the "vampire but not" kith?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Xinder posted:

isn't that just the "vampire but not" kith?

Well, yes, but it makes sense if you flavour it as stealing the residual life force from the plants to turn them into compost faster. I'm not sure how it works in 1e anymore, but in 2e the only thing you'd have to tweak is the exceptional success part of the blessing. Maybe something related to finding food, or goblin fruit? Something garden related.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Jade Mage posted:

Well, yes, but it makes sense if you flavour it as stealing the residual life force from the plants to turn them into compost faster. I'm not sure how it works in 1e anymore, but in 2e the only thing you'd have to tweak is the exceptional success part of the blessing. Maybe something related to finding food, or goblin fruit? Something garden related.

Hm, yeah. I'm looking at it in the 2e preview now. This could work well with just a bit of alteration. Thanks! I just scrolled past it for some reason and didn't actually read it before you said something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've really been missing Mugrim games so I'm thinking of starting another PBP in that vein, which is to say, core mortal rules, spooky stuff but almost entirely investigation and deep RP. Would anybody here be up for such a game?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've really been missing Mugrim games so I'm thinking of starting another PBP in that vein, which is to say, core mortal rules, spooky stuff but almost entirely investigation and deep RP. Would anybody here be up for such a game?

I don't know what Mugrim is but I've always seen people clamor to join games online.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the link to the "All members of SPLAT can do X" from a few weeks ago? I thought I saved it, but rip.

\/\/TY

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone have the link to the "All members of SPLAT can do X" from a few weeks ago? I thought I saved it, but rip.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PST2RffkiDCJQ-w2Fptcyhkza9PQ__vATOpfgiDC9F0/edit

Here you go, friend.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

nofather posted:

I don't know what Mugrim is but I've always seen people clamor to join games online.
He had a couple of excellent homebrew PBPs based on nightmares he's had, all of which you can't see if you don't have archives. Here's the one in the OP

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not directed at me, but helpful nonetheless. Thanks!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I passed that google doc to all of my players, including someone who runs his own games, and he's been passing it out to his players.

That doc is making the rounds. It's extremely useful and everybody loves it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ahaha the end

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Well, at last nuWW has something to show for all their efforts with the Storyteller's Vault:

http://www.storytellersvault.com/product/231499?affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath

I know I for one felt the lack of chupacabra rules was glaring in the oWoD.

I have to wonder how OPP feels about having to advertise this poo poo in their blog posts.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Alrighty, more or less figured out my Changeling for the Victorian game a friend of mine is running:

Oz, the 17 year old street urchin from London. He's a Darkling Leechfinger* who is very friendly and personable, but basically the living embodiment of Hedgehog's Dilemma. Because of his situation, and because he's a 17 year old boy, he occasionally lashes out and does stupid things. And he's just old enough to start understanding that what he did was wrong after the fact and regret it. He didn't escape, he was thrown out by his Keeper for ruining the gardens. Being thrown out actually upset him at first, but after a day or two to think about it, he realized it sucked in Arcadia too. Now makes his living as an exterminator of vermin and longs to someday "see the world".

*Changes to the normal Leechfinger ability are:
-Doesn't restore health
-Only triggers once per minute, instead of once per turn
-When he remains more-or-less still, the effect very gradually expands outwards from his body to a maximum radius of 3 feet
-Doesn't cost glamour to activate
-Cannot be deactivated ever
-Effect instantly kills all "base life" (grass and small insects and whatnot) each minute, higher life forms get a stamina+size roll to resist and take 1 bashing if they fail
-At the cost of 1 glamour, effect can be charged to 1/turn with no resist roll for the rest of the scene. Effect immediately expands to maximum radius if not already

He's more an Aspect of Decay than a Life-Stealer.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Desiden posted:

Well, at last nuWW has something to show for all their efforts with the Storyteller's Vault:

http://www.storytellersvault.com/product/231499?affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath

I know I for one felt the lack of chupacabra rules was glaring in the oWoD.

I have to wonder how OPP feels about having to advertise this poo poo in their blog posts.

At least it's not clanbook Bilquist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ah, excellent, now I can finally run Guns of El Chupacabra in oWoD...well, almost. What splat is Robert Z’dar?