Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

The broadcast system for Fox News is quietly subverted, and an official looking announcement that China has launched nuclear weapons at the US is played nationally.

Trump's Twitter account credentials are pre-stolen, and it now tweets that we are retaliating.

Non zero chance of a nuclear standoff that accidentally turns hot.

hmm nah. this attack is far too destructive and prevents long term persistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vOv posted:

sometimes just sending the request can be enough even if you don't get to read the response

sure, but in that case a redirect or image tag works

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but in that case a redirect or image tag works

not for a POST?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not for a POST?

oh, fair enough

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not for a POST?

Hidden <form> with target set to a hidden iframe and js to submit() it automatically

It's the more elaborate verbs (PATCH, PUT, DELETE) you can't do

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

wish we could restrict your POSTs

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Raere posted:

wish we could restrict your POSTs

drat

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Volmarias posted:

The broadcast system for Fox News is quietly subverted, and an official looking announcement that China has launched nuclear weapons at the US is played nationally.

Trump's Twitter account credentials are pre-stolen, and it now tweets that we are retaliating.

Non zero chance of a nuclear standoff that accidentally turns hot.

not a secfuck per se but i'm the THIS IS NOT A DRILL on the actually-a-drill emergency alert

opfuck?

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/952243723525677056

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

not a secfuck per se but i'm the THIS IS NOT A DRILL on the actually-a-drill emergency alert

opfuck?

alarm fatigue is a real security problem. if your burglar alarm goes off spuriously every night you get in the habit of dismissing it without checking.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

they didn't intend to have a drill so it was technically correct

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grace Baiting posted:

opfuck?

Jesus 2018, it's only mid January, settle down here.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Volmarias posted:

Jesus 2018, it's only mid January, settle down here.

yeah the winter olympics aren't even for another 27 days

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Midjack posted:

alarm fatigue is a real security problem. if your burglar alarm goes off spuriously every night you get in the habit of dismissing it without checking.

we call it ‘crying wolf’ round these parts

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grace Baiting posted:

opfuck?

Was it actually a drill or did the EBS get hosed/hacked again? That poo poo is easier to do than one might imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJF2EA-usMA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"someone pressed the wrong button"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phone posted:

"someone pressed the wrong button"

edited for less poo poo video:
https://youtu.be/pPKymEC_Hss

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 13, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
how does it take 40 minutes to issue a correction? talk about compounding a fuckup

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Midjack posted:

i feel like car alarms are a great example of this issue

when was the last time anybody actually heard a car alarm and had a reaction other than "ugh someone turn that poo poo off"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Meat Beat Agent posted:

i feel like car alarms are a great example of this issue

when was the last time anybody actually heard a car alarm and had a reaction other than "ugh someone turn that poo poo off"

The car alarm is for the owner so he can check it out, and potentially to discourage a thief. Not for anyone else.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The car alarm is for the owner so he can check it out, and potentially to discourage a thief. Not for anyone else.

except the car owners also become conditioned to feel shame when their fragile car freaks out for the fifth time during a funeral

“not my car!!”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the only purpose a car alarm serves in 2018 is to reinforce that an establishing shot is of The Bad Side Of Town

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

the first place I lived in downtown Toronto there was some stupid oval office up the street who had a car alarm, and every single goddam night i would fall asleep to:
whoop on
whoop off
whoop on
whoop off
whoop on
whoop alarm going off!
beep beep beep thing goes off
repeat above at least 3 x

Jewel
May 2, 2009

cant find the tweet rn but someone who used to work in the government that is responsible for "the button" tweeted a thread about how it's absolutely impossible to absolutely trigger and it was 100% a hack or a false alarm from even higher up

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

thank you for badly recalling the words of some twitter rando

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's something incredibly amusing about the hawaii ews team perpetrating a stunningly effective terrorist attack, entirely by accident

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

how does it take 40 minutes to issue a correction? talk about compounding a fuckup

I’ve seen some people say, “Maybe there actually was a launch and they issued a ‘correction’ when the missile failed!”

I don’t think an ICBM launch could actually be kept secret, though, there are too many eyes with too many different agendas looking for them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
someone pressing the wrong button doesn't explain why there was like a 30-minute gap in between the alert and the all-clear

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

eschaton posted:

I’ve seen some people say, “Maybe there actually was a launch and they issued a ‘correction’ when the missile failed!”

I don’t think an ICBM launch could actually be kept secret, though, there are too many eyes with too many different agendas looking for them.

Yeah, China would have lost their minds if this happened. We'd already be talking about the Chinese Interim Government if NK had launched an attack.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

thank you for badly recalling the words of some twitter rando

here, jfc https://taskandpurpose.com/emergency-alert-system-hawaii-false-alarm/

quote:

The governor of Hawaii claims that during a shift change, an operator simply hit the wrong button. Well, it doesn’t exactly work that way. These alerts are not actuated by physically pushed buttons because the number of buttons that would require, for all of the different types of alerts, would be unwieldy. An operator would either type in the desired alert (or select from canned messages), select which communications mediums they’d like to use and the populations they’d like to alert, and then hit “send” and then again confirm that they really want to send that message. The canned messages might be available as electronically selectable on a computer screen (like a Windows button) but a “confirm” dialogue would still be required.

Time will tell what really happened, but as a Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) who helped set up the Mass Notification System for a major military base, I know that what likely occurred was a serious breach in procedure at Hawaii EMA

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a random guy on the internet posted:

It’s been several years since I worked with any EAS tech. But we had a “draft” mode (aka test mode or sandbox mode) that would let us preview anything about to be sent out. The live and draft environments look and operate almost identically, with the exception of the border color on the display window, a radio button on the screen, and the distribution sheet. I’m guessing that someone didn’t realize they were in the live environment before hitting send.

Another possibility, they were training a new hire who did not think/know to check for the difference.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've been idly wondering what the absolute worst-case scenario would be for a security flaw. one thought that comes to mind would be some kind of unpatchable hardware bug in a bunch of routers where large swathes of the internet would just be hard down until new routers could be manufactured and deployed.

Heresiarch posted:

CVE-32.02e13-0237

Overview:
The final victory of entropy has arrived and the heat death of the universe is imminent.

Impact:
The last energy capable of useful work will undergo dispersion as waste heat shortly, leading to existence-wide denial of service as all molecular activity degenerates into chaos.

Mitigation:
All is lost.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

He was wondering about worst case, that's pretty much best case.

It would mean there's still life at the end of the universe.

And at the very least, it would end end users, eliminating all security problems permanently.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

anthonypants posted:

someone pressing the wrong button doesn't explain why there was like a 30-minute gap in between the alert and the all-clear

According to this: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/the-internet-broke-emergency-alerts/550520/

quote:

It does appear that the agency might have attempted to cancel the IPAWS alert five minutes after sending the erroneous one. But even if that cancellation might have ceased further delivery of messages to televisions or phones that were offline or on calls, it wouldn’t have issued a reversal.

That’s because WEA “worked the way it was supposed to,” as Rapoza put it to The Atlantic. These aren’t like text messages, where a sender can dash off a quick sorry my bad if they mistype. IPAWS notices have a specific format, which must be composed formally and in advance. Audio files for broadcast notices must be recorded or generated and uploaded. Often, this has to be done by special software on special equipment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
goon that supposedly worked at hawaii emergency management:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845210&userid=117949

it's probably all true because lmao of course it is, it's 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how big an economic hit would it be if someone penetrated Amazon and managed to cause all the AWS hosts to delete everything

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

how big an economic hit would it be if someone penetrated Amazon and managed to cause all the AWS hosts to delete everything

If it was all of them and it happened at basically the same time, you would straight up erase most companies (because of course they don't have backups). Not to mention many code bases live in Github etc. and some of them may be hosted on AWS themselves, or at least have assets that would need to be pulled down from AWS.

S3 outage last year on it's own knocked out a significant amount of web-traffic, so yea I could see that being pretty huge.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/perpetualgeek/status/952693228259684354

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If it was all of them and it happened at basically the same time, you would straight up erase most companies (because of course they don't have backups). Not to mention many code bases live in Github etc. and some of them may be hosted on AWS themselves, or at least have assets that would need to be pulled down from AWS.

S3 outage last year on it's own knocked out a significant amount of web-traffic, so yea I could see that being pretty huge.

at least stuff that's stored on github has distributed backups by the nature of git

though you'd lose the issue tracker

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

i've been idly wondering what the absolute worst-case scenario would be for a security flaw.
what if slammer but for apache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

vOv posted:

at least stuff that's stored on github has distributed backups by the nature of git

though you'd lose the issue tracker

you mean github doesn’t store issues in a random branch in your repo like it stores pull requests and pages?

• Locked thread