Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

ananci posted:

Damore dog whistled at this when he randomly included a throw away line about ":biotruths: and IQ in his 'memo'. That seems out of place unless you know both his sources (the memo came out shortly after a youtuber made the same arguments) and the common arguments used to promote some pretty rank, white nationalist arguments.

he did this and used terms like neuroticism, which while is outside my vocabulary and understandings as i'm not a sociologist, he should have known better at how offensive it is. since he didn't, he shouldnt be the person lecturing everyone about it plain and simple. but the culture at google is garbage and is going to implode.

e. shouldn't

Mnoba fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

ananci posted:

Damore dog whistled at this when he randomly included a throw away line about ":biotruths: and IQ in his 'memo'. That seems out of place unless you know both his sources (the memo came out shortly after a youtuber made the same arguments) and the common arguments used to promote some pretty rank, white nationalist arguments.

lmfao if it's really true he picked this poo poo up from a loving youtube video that makes this actually hilarious. please post the source video(s) in question

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anyone can google a desired conclusion and find some third rate unreplicated correlational study (whose correlations are so low that theyd be rejected as meaningless in any mature science) between some specific biological property and a poorly defined social outcome, its the bread and butter of ideological simpleton retards trying to pass their insecurities about women (blacks, asians, jews, humanities students, communists, conservatives, liberals...) off as established scientific fact, but then when i show them the paraffin wax glove that formed around a hand that materialised out of ectoplasm at a seance and that couldnt have been removed from the mould by a hand-from-this-world without breaking proving scientifically that by some as yet unknown conjurational power it must have dematerialized within the mould they call me not a real scientist

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
aids cum bloodshart

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Orkin Mang posted:

anyone can google a desired conclusion and find some third rate unreplicated correlational study (whose correlations are so low that theyd be rejected as meaningless in any mature science) between some specific biological property and a poorly defined social outcome, its the bread and butter of ideological simpleton retards trying to pass their insecurities about women (blacks, asians, jews, humanities students, communists, conservatives, liberals...) off as established scientific fact, but then when i show them the paraffin wax glove that formed around a hand that materialised out of ectoplasm at a seance and that couldnt have been removed from the mould by a hand-from-this-world without breaking proving scientifically that by some as yet unknown conjurational power it must have dematerialized within the mould they call me not a real scientist

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

:five:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

racial and gender quotas adopted without court supervision are illegal
ps this appears not to be true after all, employers can and do adopt quotas proactively and reverse discrimination claims against this do not automatically succeed. Damore claims reverse discrimination, but good luck with that if he can't identify the personnel decision that went against him for being a white guy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

It's unfortunate that you have to be familiar with the canon Orkin Mang lore to truly appreciate this post

ananci
Dec 19, 2010

Kinsky posted:

lmfao if it's really true he picked this poo poo up from a loving youtube video that makes this actually hilarious. please post the source video(s) in question

Looks like what I was thinking of a blog and not a youtube video. The blogpost in question - http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/01/gender-imbalances-are-mostly-not-due-to-offensive-attitudes/

That being said the use of the term 'neomarxist' in the memo is a pretty clear signal that other modern alt-right sources are at play. The folks he immediately gave interviews to after he was fired are pretty fond of the term. And a quick google search later:

"JamesDamore in his AMA posted:

Jordan Peterson definitely influenced me and has taught me the dangers of authoritarian policies and thinking.

edit found != fond.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i wish he would james daless

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

ananci posted:

Looks like what I was thinking of a blog and not a youtube video. The blogpost in question - http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/01/gender-imbalances-are-mostly-not-due-to-offensive-attitudes/

public service announcement: slate star codex is a very good blog you should be reading

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

ananci posted:

lmfao it's great how he obviously doesn't appreciate the idiocy and condescension of separating the spectrum of discussion into woke data-driven freethinkers vs overly idealistic touchy-feely culture warriors. hmm yes obviously the views of the methodical intellectual society of Silicon Valley and some probably gay literature professor are fundamentally different

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are all the mass shooters men though.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Scott Alexander posted:

But STEM ideals conflicting with humanities-focused ideals isnt a total fiction.

drat I'm glad this absurdly reductive view of human modes of thinking isn't totally without merit

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Scott Alexander posted:

At the same time, everyone on the humanities/empathizing/intuitive side of the divide gets a knockdown argument against any sciency/systematizing/utilitarian challenge: Oh, those sexists? Come back when youve taken off your fedora, dudebros. And this sort of thing works. And since so many of us implicitly accept the poor-gender-balance = sexist jerks narrative, we cant even fight back. The best we can do is Yes, our side is full of repellent people with terrible values, and your side is full of lovely tolerant accepting people who successfully build inclusive communities for everyone, but, uh, we make some good points anyway. Wait, come back! Why arent you reading my double-blind randomized study showing that Im right?

lmbo :airquote:empathizers:airquote: sure are quick to judge without anything like a heavily scrutinized factual basis :owned:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Streak posted:

because of hollywood

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kinsky posted:

lmbo :airquote:empathizers:airquote: sure are quick to judge without anything like a heavily scrutinized factual basis :owned:

what an insufferable prick
according to rationalwiki he's a fan of charles murray, surprise surprise

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Mnoba posted:

he did this and used terms like neuroticism, which while is outside my vocabulary and understandings as i'm not a sociologist, he should have known better at how offensive it is. since he didn't, he shouldnt be the person lecturing everyone about it plain and simple. but the culture at google is garbage and is going to implode.

e. shouldn't

Anyone whos seen everybody loves raymond would know that women are more neurotic than men. If you havent even bothered to do that much research into the topic then you aren't really qualified to be discussing it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Neurotic in the sense he used means susceptibility to negative emotion which is used in psychology in evaluating personality. I can see why they use it but I feel coming up with a term which sounds less loaded might be a good idea

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think he got fired because he's a misogynist. Maybe he got fired because he's got a stupid face

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Carmant posted:

Anyone whos seen everybody loves raymond would know that women are more neurotic than men. If you havent even bothered to do that much research into the topic then you aren't really qualified to be discussing it.
a strange notion since the show's only joke was "raymond unreasonably suspects his wife is messing with him"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Streak posted:

I don't think he got fired because he's a misogynist. Maybe he got fired because he's got a stupid face

Should have hidden it behind a fursuit

Then set himself on fire.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Orkin Mang posted:

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Streak posted:

The patriarchy, duh.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

just another posted:

public service announcement: slate star codex is a very good blog you should be reading

:wrong:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Orkin Mang posted:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

girl pants posted:

This sounds so much like that "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" meme.

Lowtax please, new user panel option.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Face like a drat sundial

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i wish he would james daless

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kinsky posted:

you're doing a variation of exactly what he predicts? a series of emotional arguments that ultimately appeal to social standing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kinsky posted:

damore got all his ideas from jordan peterson, a tremendously controversial professor of psychology whose gimmick is to rail against postmodernist cultural marxism in the academy. when damore did his first post-firing interview it was with... jordan peterson, who applauded damore for standing up to the google safe space, and then they proceeded to agree with each other about how the postmodern cultural marxists at google were all dumb anyway

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

limaCAT posted:

Lowtax please, new user panel option.

The attack helicopter :airquote:joke:airquote: is just being lovely to transpeople for no reason.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SickZip posted:

you're doing a variation of exactly what he predicts? a series of emotional arguments that ultimately appeal to social standing

call 'em autistic too, that'll show those fuckers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

call 'em autistic too, that'll show those fuckers

yeah i dont know why anyone is calling him autistic

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/16/james-damore-google-memo-interview-autism-regrets

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
so he actually is autistic and they're actually using the term as hate speech rather than just as a catch-all slur? cool

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The sexism guy has a funny deformed face, that's my official stance on the memo where he said women should tuck the computer men into bed because of the bell curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

so he actually is autistic and they're actually using the term as hate speech rather than just as a catch-all slur? cool

look dont piss on this dude's biologically determined interests that arise due to his autism, such as being socially awkward and getting owned

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

look dont piss on this dude's biologically determined interests that arise due to his autism, such as being socially awkward and getting owned

have you managed to read a single scientific paper on the subject yet or is constantly refreshing this thread taking up all your time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

just another posted:

The thing about biological truths is that they're biologically true. But no, I believe that disproportionate representation is still primarily a consequence of sexist barriers. That doesn't mean I'm going to pretend evolutionary psychology and biology are irrelevant just because they don't play well with critical theory and gender studies.

Okay, would you be willing to claim that women who are hired at Google should be encouraged to work part-time because men need the higher status roles for their online dating profiles?

I ask because it's a genuine claim in the original memo/manifesto, which is actually kinda Marxist in a very specific light: each according to their ability, each according to their need. Except the needs and abilities are based on extremely lazy stereotypes, the promotion of which are against Google's Code of Conduct.

• Locked thread