Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

How in the world are you supposed to figure out the character routes in Chaos Child without a walk-through?

Eh, to be fair most of them are just "do positive delusion for the girl you want, ignore the other girls."

edit: Speaking of which, doesn't this sort of carry the implication that you're altering reality to hook up with the girls and possibly also make them interested in you?

hepcat posted:

I just started the 4th door of Fata Morgana and noticed something weird. I checked the backlog and noticed some word fragments and phrases had been x'd out even though I'd just read them. I check the back log frequently and did not notice this earlier in the game unless something (like the "Beast's" speech) was also X'd out in the main script. Is this some kind of bug, or is it actually relevant to the story?

Also, it's only in that chapter, so you don't need to go back and reread other chapters' logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, to be fair most of them are just "do positive delusion for the girl you want, ignore the other girls."

edit: Speaking of which, doesn't this sort of carry the implication that you're altering reality to hook up with the girls and possibly also make them interested in you?

That was the assumption I got.

Finished three of the character arcs, now working my way through Uki's

Couple of thoughts on the character arcs

I think I like Kurusu more as Senri.

Hinae's ending is REALLY hosed up.

Kazuki's path was just bizarre

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 12, 2018

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Hinae's ending is REALLY hosed up.

I know, right?

Agreed on your overall thoughts about the routes. A note since you're very close to the True Route: The True Route does an excellent job of wrapping the story arc and has a good atmosphere. Definitely felt like one of the only legitimate ways they could have ended it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I finished Fata Morgana. GOTY 2018 (video games that I played in 2018) for sure baby.. I think I'm gonna splurge for the art book.

If anyone has any suggestions for VNs of similar quality, I'd really appreciate it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

I finished Fata Morgana. GOTY 2018 (video games that I played in 2018) for sure baby.. I think I'm gonna splurge for the art book.

If anyone has any suggestions for VNs of similar quality, I'd really appreciate it.

Have you played Umineko? Play Umineko.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I remember reading and really enjoying Grisaia no Kajitsu (Fruit, the 1st one) quite a while back, and was thinking of diving in and reading the whole trilogy.

Do the second two keep up the quality of the first?

EDIT: Also the same question but for Kara no Shojo 2, if it's as good or better than the first.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 14, 2018

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PurplieNurplie posted:

I remember reading and really enjoying Grisaia no Kajitsu (Fruit, the 1st one) quite a while back, and was thinking of diving in and reading the whole trilogy.

EDIT: Also the same question but for Kara no Shojo 2, if it's as good or better than the first.

no the first grisaia is the best of the three by a fair margin, the second one is mediocre at best and feels like its spinning its wheels, the third is better but not as good as the first one. if you want more grisaia though go for it, they're not actively bad.

its been a while since i played kns 1/2 but i think the second was as good as the first one, though theres a flashback bit that goes on too long and it can be hard to keep all the characters straight. bunch of hosed up murder shenanigans/mystery and all that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kns2 felt much more like a proper mystery to me while kns1 was sort of a more basic crime thriller.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm up to the Sixth Door of the House of Fata Morgana. This has been an intense, tragic VN and something quite unique for me as far as these things go.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I felt KnS2 was a big letdown from the first game but I seem to be in the minority.

There was the huge amounts of flashback time (often without any interaction), not enough of the investigation aspects I liked from the first game, and one (though not all) of the mysteries was, to me, lit up with a flashing neon sign from the beginning so much that there was never any question of who was responsible, just of how many hours it would take before people noticed the obvious. while it finally built up to some good stuff there was way too much time wasted on things I did not care about that, to me, were just in the way of the story.

also if you haven't played cartagra, there are a lot of callbacks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PurplieNurplie posted:

Do not loving touch any further Grisaia games with a ten foot bargepole. I'm normally all for trashy VNs and lovely anime, but the second Grisaia is disgusting. Serious spoilers follow, but they'll make you swear off the game.

Before the grim poo poo, there's a sister loving. That's fairly... standard but still poo poo. He's also like 8.

So, Yuuji is taken by terrorists and trained as an assassin, has to kill other kids he's stuck with. That's cool and hosed up, if grim. His owner dresses him up in women's clothing which is ehh. He's drugged all the time, and everything is hosed.

Then, the master takes him in after shooting some terrorists. Then, they proceed to have sex. I think he's 13 or so at this point. That's hosed up, but they're both hosed up people so sure. Then the master dies and Yuuji fucks JB. You know, the well adjusted and good natured guardian of Yuuji. They gently caress. The story then ends on a lovely cliffhanger as soon as anything of value happens, and they charged money for 'Yuuji fucks everyone in his life.' Because it's not enough for him to be with the girls.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing more terrible nonsense, but it's still got a terrible taste in my mouth.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do not loving touch any further Grisaia games with a ten foot bargepole. I'm normally all for trashy VNs and lovely anime, but the second Grisaia is disgusting. Serious spoilers follow, but they'll make you swear off the game.

Before the grim poo poo, there's a sister loving. That's fairly... standard but still poo poo. He's also like 8.

So, Yuuji is taken by terrorists and trained as an assassin, has to kill other kids he's stuck with. That's cool and hosed up, if grim. His owner dresses him up in women's clothing which is ehh. He's drugged all the time, and everything is hosed.

Then, the master takes him in after shooting some terrorists. Then, they proceed to have sex. I think he's 13 or so at this point. That's hosed up, but they're both hosed up people so sure. Then the master dies and Yuuji fucks JB. You know, the well adjusted and good natured guardian of Yuuji. They gently caress. The story then ends on a lovely cliffhanger as soon as anything of value happens, and they charged money for 'Yuuji fucks everyone in his life.' Because it's not enough for him to be with the girls.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing more terrible nonsense, but it's still got a terrible taste in my mouth.

Uhhh wow. What about the 3rd?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Artificer posted:

Uhhh wow. What about the 3rd?

I'm not giving them any more money, but my guess is that the sister saves the day/is saved from an evil conspiracy, the original cast comes together to help and Yuuji redeems(?) himself.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm not giving them any more money, but my guess is that the sister saves the day/is saved from an evil conspiracy, the original cast comes together to help and Yuuji redeems(?) himself.

Er? What evil conspiracy?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Artificer posted:

Er? What evil conspiracy?

Dunno. Morally ambiguous agency + weirdo terrorist man and the lovely cliffhanger ending where Yuuji's last mission is a trap.

Pure conjecture. It's probably considerably better than 2, but that's no high bar.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got ENIGMA: during the holiday sale and it was mostly alright, but something on the true ending path just left a bad taste in my mouth.

There's a scene where a man attempts to rape a woman. He's stopped in time but the next day he shows up again and everyone, even his victim, reacts with mere mild annoyance. Nothing else happens to him. In the epilogue, it's mentioned that he got kicked in the nards real bad and can't get boners anymore. What.

I see Dysfunctional Systems is only $5; has anyone read that one?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I see Dysfunctional Systems is only $5; has anyone read that one?

I own DS but I never cleared it. Also, the original dev has returned after a long hiatus since their failed project from a few yrs ago. IIRC it was a very avg VN from what I played and it's INC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DS was decently interesting as like a proof of concept prologue to a real story but then the makers did a kickstarter for the rest, took my money, then said they weren't going to do any of the other games before suddenly reappearing after like 4 years with a prequel I guess except the art is really lovely now and what I'm getting at is im not sure it's a series worth getting invested in

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yikes. Thanks for the warnings.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
The art in the prequel is worse (along with the rest of it), but the previews for the second look good: Kickstarter update

I think of Dysfunctional Systems as my favorite disappointment, so without knowing how good the sequel is, if it gets released, I'd also caution against it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hi I just bought Chaos;child and I got through the first scene and

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Hi I just bought Chaos;child and I got through the first scene and

:emo:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm up to the 7th Door in Fata Morgana. I'm not even sure what to say, now. It is very good, at least.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm up to the 7th Door in Fata Morgana. I'm not even sure what to say, now. It is very good, at least.

I finished F\SN today and started Fata Morgana. I'm already coming up with theories. :ghost:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irritated Goat posted:

I finished F\SN today and started Fata Morgana. I'm already coming up with theories. :ghost:
(FSN)So what I was trying to get at, if it wasn't obvious, is that if you use a projection during the Rider/Saber fight you're forced into the normal ending without the Kotomine one-on-one, which makes getting the true end afterwards where you do get said fight so much more impactful IMO. Once I learned that technically this was not the default way to proceed through the story I've always tried to recommend a way make sure one would proceed that way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fata Morgana was solid Content and I can't wait for the sequel which i assume has just been delayed by this point

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

To speak a little more about my recent experiences with the story (House of Fata Morgana - spoilers from Door 5 to 7)

Door 5 was really good. I think that Giselle's and Michel's story was very well done, and for being the most important relationship in the game (at least it is from where I'm at in the story) they nail it. The twist with Door 4 was well done, although this does leave Door 4 as being somewhat lacking since it is a fake version of 5.

Door 6 was done well also. Seeing events playing out from the Maid's perspective was interesting, and I think they did a good job relaying the dread and horror of her continued existence in the mansion.

The Witch's story was, of course, really tragic. Yet somehow, the thing that is sticking with me the most is what Giselle said to Michel, calling him disgusting for being born a woman. I don't know the whole story here, I haven't seen the 7th Door and who knows what The Witch could be doing. But if that's actually Giselle saying that then that completely flips my once-positive opinion on her.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Fata Morgana was solid Content and I can't wait for the sequel which i assume has just been delayed by this point
I mean they had to leave some good games to come out in 2018. 2017 can't hog all of them.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

(FSN)So what I was trying to get at, if it wasn't obvious, is that if you use a projection during the Rider/Saber fight you're forced into the normal ending without the Kotomine one-on-one, which makes getting the true end afterwards where you do get said fight so much more impactful IMO. Once I learned that technically this was not the default way to proceed through the story I've always tried to recommend a way make sure one would proceed that way.

Honestly, that was an excellent recommendation. I finished your recommended route first then went back and did the other and got a lot more out of it. Thank you.

Going in basically 100% blind to Fata Morgana has got me in the mood where I question every little thing\person for hidden meanings\plots. I'm not even out of Door 1 and I'm already pretty happy with it.

A side thought as I'm going through Door 1. Nellie gonna kill someone over her brother. Nellie could kill her brother or the white-haired girl cause she's a tiny tiny bit obsessed with him..

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, now I'm getting a little sick of this.

(Fata Morgana - Door 7 spoilers - though more like thoughts)
Door 7 has tipped the scales of tragedy and misery way too far. Like, it's veering into some weird sadistic pleasure in torturing characters instead of being an interesting story. Obviously this VN won't have a happy ending, but it has gone so far into being evil that it's a bit unbearable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OK, now I'm getting a little sick of this.

(Fata Morgana - Door 7 spoilers - though more like thoughts)
Door 7 has tipped the scales of tragedy and misery way too far. Like, it's veering into some weird sadistic pleasure in torturing characters instead of being an interesting story. Obviously this VN won't have a happy ending, but it has gone so far into being evil that it's a bit unbearable.
Are you talking about the part where Michel gets literally tortured by Aimee? Because yeah that was a bit much.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yes, that. And at least during other parts of the story, characters get some kind of comeuppance.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That part was a bit rough, but stick with it, it picks back up/

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Door 7 was one of the low points of the game for me but I ended up really liking what comes after a lot.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I do intend to finish it, I just hope the story continues to hit more than it misses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fata Morgana's endgame (not where you are at Yoshimitsu) is in general very strong and one of my favorite parts of the game.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 19, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Not to keep talking about this, but comparing Doors 6 and 7... (Spoilers for Fata Morgana for those doors)

I expected the Witch's story to be really bad. I also expected it to be the capstone of the game. I knew Michel's secret had to be revealed, but I didn't expect him to have yet another door. Michel has now had three doors cataloging his suffering. It's a lot for someone who doesn't deserve it. There's no hope in his past, present or future now that Giselle has turned against him so it's all very bleak. Aimee's torture of Michel veered into the "sadistic for no reason" instead of it feeling like building on a story. It felt like someone's off-putting fanfiction of those events, it just felt weird and not in the right way.

I think comeuppance is a big part of making the past stories more manageable. While the Witch had it bad we got to see comeuppance and then some for the people in her story. None of the Bollingers, the parents the brothers or aimee will get what's coming to them. And even if that was a consideration, they're long dead anyway so they got away with it. Of course I'm not really finished with Door 7 yet so maybe I'm speaking too soon on this one.

Anyway, that's enough of me grousing about this part. I don't want to discourage people starting this VN, the good heavily outweighs the bad. I just had something to say about this one part, is all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Anyway, that's enough of me grousing about this part. I don't want to discourage people starting this VN, the good heavily outweighs the bad. I just had something to say about this one part, is all.
I already knew I was way too squeamish to ever play it, and I don't think anyone else who hasn't played it will read your spoilers, so you're probably in the clear.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Morgana Door 7. Ugh...it should have been obvious, but I didn't catch that it was Didier leading the knights who killed Michel until right before it happened. Worst gut punch yet in a game full of them... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Anyone get the True Ending of Chaos;Child yet? Thoughts?

Also, I just started Fata Morgana and looking forward to the twists and turns.