Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

The new Wit show is super weird. I thought there might be more to the premise, but it literally is a teen girl lusting after a goofy 45 year old dude.

Spoiler, it's actually a prequel to Symphogear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

superLINUS posted:

It's super dumb but super watchable, if you ignore all the unwatchable stuff.

This is technically true, but more as a definition of terms than a review of the show.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh wow, Killing Bites goes all in with its ending: it features stills of the heroines in their high-school uniforms to be 100% sure you know they're young girls, then swaps to them in highly suggestive leather and latex outfits with at least one panty flash.

It's 100% a terrible OVA from the 80s. :sigh:

(Yeah, I'll be watching the next episode. Yay, problematic media that's also entertaining.)

Time for a complete mood whiplash - queuing up Violet Evergarden now.

e: Jesus christ, Kyoani - this is supposed to be a weekly show, not a movie. That animation quality... :eyepop:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 14, 2018

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

RottenK posted:

is it gay

not really but you can mentally substitute "liking cute sanrio poo poo" with "being homosexual" and it totally fits so :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been getting big time sanrio nostalgia from watching it also, they're definitely using classic characters to appeal to people like me who were into it as kids in the 70s/80s/90s

I don't even mind that the whole show is basically an ad, I want to see more cute products :3:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, my friend is watching Sanrio Boys so I asked her about it and she described it as a show about coming out to your queer friends but they replaced every mention of being queer with Sanrio products

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Beatless looks serviceable if you wanted to watch something that isn't exactly Chobits.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

2 episodes in, Citrus is exactly as soap-opera as I've heard it's supposed to be. Yuzu's fun, though, and she and a couple of the side characters give the show a nice earnest side that keeps things from getting too heavy. Still waiting for Mei to be a character instead of a Troubled Archetype, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Mitsuboshi Colors is the Big City edition of Non Non Biyori and all of it owns.

Feels more like another take on Strawberry Marshmallow to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

2 episodes in, Citrus is exactly as soap-opera as I've heard it's supposed to be. Yuzu's fun, though, and she and a couple of the side characters give the show a nice earnest side that keeps things from getting too heavy. Still waiting for Mei to be a character instead of a Troubled Archetype, though.

Each arc unveils new aspects of her character and subsequently develops her as individual. However, she still tends to roll with the punches rather than taking an active role on her own.

Unfortunately she becomes more proactive on the arcs that are all but confirmed to not be covered in the anime.

By the way, if there's enough interest I'm willing to make a thread for Citrus.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sanrio Boys is so shameless about being a toy ad but so bizzarely not bad for that. Like the visual gag where the guy turns all rainbow was not something I expected to see in this show.

^Make the thread buddy

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Slow Start is very moeblob cgdct, with a main character so wrapped up in anxiety I have no idea how this show can continue in either result (friends find out, vs friends don't find out),

and all these weird little things keep happening:

:stare: I mean she has a point I guess but

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah, my friend is watching Sanrio Boys so I asked her about it and she described it as a show about coming out to your queer friends but they replaced every mention of being queer with Sanrio products

Does it have good advice

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

VostokProgram posted:

Does it have good advice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Violet Evergarden is incredible. A work of art. I felt like I was watching a movie - and oh. It's pulling the right emotional strings for me to start tearing up at it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh wow, Killing Bites goes all in with its ending: it features stills of the heroines in their high-school uniforms to be 100% sure you know they're young girls, then swaps to them in highly suggestive leather and latex outfits with at least one panty flash.

It's 100% a terrible OVA from the 80s. :sigh:

It's actually a television series from this year. Not sure how you could mix those up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At first I thought it was engrish but no, the corporation in Beatless really is called Memeframe and that's the best part of the show

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

It's actually a television series from this year. Not sure how you could mix those up.

Well, you see, I watched Devilman Crybaby first

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well, you see, I watched Devilman Crybaby first

Crazy that Netflix recently got the rights to this lost 90s ova that yuasa made in secret.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnacondaHL posted:

Slow Start is very moeblob cgdct, with a main character so wrapped up in anxiety I have no idea how this show can continue in either result (friends find out, vs friends don't find out),

and all these weird little things keep happening:

:stare: I mean she has a point I guess but

Yeah it’s good as hell and the main char goes “hawawawa” when she’s anxious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tama is the mc's supportive genki gf don't @ me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tama is the mc's supportive genki gf don't @ me

Tamate.

Also new Dagashi Kashi is more of the same, but 12 minute episodes rather than 24 as I recall, which I think suits it better.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 15, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

You say Tam-a-teh, I say Tam-eh-teh.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Dagashi is still not full length

and yeah, it's seems like the same Dagashi. Pretty funny at times with goofy characters and a lot of snack chats

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 15, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Dagashi is still full length

The first episode this season was only 12 minutes. Is it an exception in some way?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh, so it was. I honestly didn't notice it was only 12...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i made a slow start thread

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Second episode of Kokkoku is out. There's a lot to like here. The op is a great mix of cool psychadelic visuals and an awesome song. The story is self-serious enough to flesh out the world and characters really well, and campy enough to keep things fun and interesting. The presentation is fantastic between the great look and solid animation. The pace is slow enough to let us get our bearings along with the characters, but not too slow as to be boring. The only thing I don't like so far is the ed.

I'll probably make a thread later, then cross my fingers and hope that the show doesn't end up sucking like every other show I've made a thread for.

Edit:

Mitsuboshi Colors continues to be adorable kids doing stupid adorable kid things while adults help/screw with them. Even the next ep preview is great.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 15, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Killing Bites is intensely trashy and I am having a fun time. I can't believe they actually pause the action for fun animal facts Kemono style.

Honey Badger Hitomi is buff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's pretty much the author's signature. Arachnid is 50% murder and 50% fun insect and spider facts.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hakutei to Mikochi is a really gorgeous and relaxing show. That said, I'm kinda disturbed by all of these sentient, talking animals eating fish. Are the fish not sentient, or able to speak? The bird couldn't talk either. How could a couple of beetles talk, but not a bird? :psyduck:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Hahahahaha what the gently caress

(killing bites) "Hey, I want you to see something!" *flashes giant tits, impales his leg with a spike, death metal chugging guitars*

what the fuuuck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Now that AGDQ is over...

It's time for anime :getin:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

iospace posted:

Now that AGDQ is over...

It's time for anime :getin:

its true

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So enough ppl have been talking about Killing Bites that I decided to bite.

It's unapologetically trashy to the point of comedy... but sometimes it also makes fun of its own trashiness for the sake of comedy. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Kokkoku episode 2 was still good, but I'm scratching my head trying to work out the rules of The Stasis. I suppose that's a good thing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

which part do you find confusing?

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Davincie posted:

which part do you find confusing?

The explanation from Grandpa that each entrance into The Stasis is its own thing, in which case how did the GLS arrive in the family's Stasis, and why wouldn't ending that Stasis just eject Dad along with all the others? And why would starting a new Stasis without Dad be leaving him behind? I mean, it may yet be explained but it's all a bit, yeah...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

superLINUS posted:

The explanation from Grandpa that each entrance into The Stasis is its own thing, in which case how did the GLS arrive in the family's Stasis, and why wouldn't ending that Stasis just eject Dad along with all the others? And why would starting a new Stasis without Dad be leaving him behind? I mean, it may yet be explained but it's all a bit, yeah...

the way i figure is that anyone touching one of the stones when the spell is cast is send in or out of the stasis. so dad being in their hands would mean he wouldn't be able to touch it thus leaving him behind. same goes for the brother when they find out. so basically the cult kept them under surveillance the whole time and arranged this little situation so they could piggyback with them using their own stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I made a Kokkoku thread

• Locked thread