Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Quote-Unquote posted:

Should I generally pursue the plot though? Like, does each blood moon make it harder and I'm hosed if I haven't progressed enough?

Nah. All blood moons do is respawn enemies you've killed, the primary function of which is give you another go at killing them and taking their loot. You can pursue whatever goals you like at whatever pace you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Botw's weapon durability seems a lot worse at first when all you get are sticks and branches, but eventually you get metal weapons and later the master sword and it's no more than a minor annoyance of switching weapons occasionally.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bean posted:

Not to take away from pricechat, but where did you get that super cool print in the background?

I am not that poster but I believe it's from this set of prints from fangamer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Should I generally pursue the plot though? Like, does each blood moon make it harder and I'm hosed if I haven't progressed enough?

The shrines are far and away the highlight so far. Apart from the goddamn labyrinth thing where you have to roll the ball around and then flip it over to another ramp. I spent ages on that, cursing the drat motion controls, until I realised that you can cheese it by rolling the ball up over the wall where it starts, which takes it to the end of the maze, so you just have to do the bit where you flip the ball over (which was still frustrating but I got there eventually)

Yes, do the plot but at your own pace.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reality Loser posted:

Botw's weapon durability seems a lot worse at first when all you get are sticks and branches, but eventually you get metal weapons and later the master sword and it's no more than a minor annoyance of switching weapons occasionally.
The fact that the last hit of a weapon before it breaks knocks the enemy down is genius.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The fact that the last hit of a weapon before it breaks knocks the enemy down is genius.

It also does double damage. It’s really satisfying to break a loving sword over an enemy’s head and hear that sound.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The blood moon also respawns fruit in trees, weapons scattered throughout the world, things like that. So if you see a good weapon somewhere that isn't in a chest, take note of its location and go back after a blood moon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I am not that poster but I believe it's from this set of prints from fangamer.

It is indeed, with frames from ArtToFrame. I kitted out my whole basement with stuff from Fan Gamer. They've got great stuff, a lot of it not obviously game related.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

thexerox123 posted:

The blood moon also respawns fruit in trees, weapons scattered throughout the world, things like that. So if you see a good weapon somewhere that isn't in a chest, take note of its location and go back after a blood moon.

Most useful to reobtain the sword behind the shrine in Zoraville which is a pretty worthless weapon but looks incredibly badass.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mainwaring posted:

Most useful to reobtain the sword behind the shrine in Zoraville which is a pretty worthless weapon but looks incredibly badass.
Best easy to get respawning weapon is
On top of the tower with the skull on it

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Hyrule Warriors is great but how are they gonna make it work without 2 screens? Swapping characters on the fly on the bottom screen map was incredibly useful on the 3ds version

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Hyrule Warriors is great but how are they gonna make it work without 2 screens? Swapping characters on the fly on the bottom screen map was incredibly useful on the 3ds version

FEW maps character switching to up and down on the D-pad

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

I keep really wanting Overcooked. But my 5 year old is the only one who would likely play it with me.

Worth it? Can he? He’s an avid ipadder and decent gamer. Would he get the controls? How does it run on Switch?

Overcooked is tricky, but don't underestimate what kids can do. The controls are fine/easy, it's the micromanagement of your kitchen that eventually gets the best of you

Might be fun to work through at least the first world...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quote-Unquote posted:

Should I generally pursue the plot though? Like, does each blood moon make it harder and I'm hosed if I haven't progressed enough

I typically recommend following the plot for a little while because doing so gives you access to a few optional unlocks and a secondary main quest that will have you exploring the whole world (the things the quest has you do are otherwise unavailable before that point even if you find the places you're supposed to visit).

Here's a tip for monsters and fighting: The amount of damage a monster does to you is almost always purely related to what weapon they're holding. Take that weapon away or get them to use a weaker weapon of some type and the damage they do when they strike you will be decreased. Do note that certain enemies do have unarmed attacks and I don't really know how much damage those attacks do because it's usually pretty easy to just batter an unarmed enemy until they die. When monsters start gaining more HP, they don't gain attack strength either. You can have enemies with hundreds of HP but if you give them a stick to hit you with they'll still only do 1 damage.

Steal weapons, find ways to make them drop weapons, go all out to defeat enemies. Be sneaky, loud, stealthy, resourceful, ranged, melee, explosive, environmental...the number of ways you can defeat enemies in this game is staggering, and you will only keep discovering new ways to do it. Right at the start of the game I discovered that enemies will throw rocks at you if you're up in a tree and they don't have a bow. Then I discovered that you can hit the rocks they throw with your own arrows and the rocks will fly back and hit them in the face. The game's combat can either be boring or entertaining. It's up to you how you want it to be out in the overworld.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Crowsbeak posted:

Are there any talks about releasing a F Zero on the Switch?

Let me tell you about the new game F-Zero Rammers...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pug Rodeo posted:

Let me tell you about the new game F-Zero Rammers...

That was the old Nintendo. New Nintendo gets it, ARMS excepted.

Though if it were called Super Switching Punch-Out and included Little Mac as a character people would probably have liked it a lot more.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My experience with Overcooked is that my wife absolutely hated it at first, but then got mad at being bad at it and insisted that we keep playing to get good and beat the first few levels. Now we're gradually working our way through and she loves it. I can see this game being a miserable experience if you're with people that can't admit fault and get too serious about games, but if you're with normal people, it gets pretty fun. You just have to be able to laugh about poo poo going south very quickly.

My six-year-old is also getting pretty into it now, but we're still at the point where I'm doing most of the heavy lifting and just sort of guiding her to handle some of the tasks. My four-year-old just wants to set the kitchen on fire. Looking forward to getting a second set of joycons for family fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BotW is do whatever you want: the game. The only thing you can do wrong is go online and ask other people how to play it. That is why it is so good. I put 100 hours in and beat Ganon before I read a word about it online and it kicked rear end. Thank you for reading my essay.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cite your sources

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My wife and I are big fans of Adventure Time, and while watching her play Super Mario Odyssey today, it occurred to me that this template would be perfect for an Adventure Time game. Finn and Jake could travel around to the various kingdoms of Ooo and help out their respective denizens. Instead of using Cappy to possess other creatures, you could use Jake’s shapeshifting abilities to complete challenges and collect uhhhhh some kind of crystals or something I guess. The final world could be the Nightosphere where you face off with Hunson Abadeer at the end. I think you could even design the graphics to look pretty close to the show’s animation, perhaps even more so if it were a 2D sidescroller. Anyway this is my game idea, by Weedle, age 29.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There is a new Adventure Time game coming to Switch that gives off a bit of a Wind Waker vibe. I hope it’s good since most of them have been poo poo except for that Zelda 2 clone one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Instead of an Adventure Time game how about a new Mario Odyssey

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

acksplode posted:

BotW is do whatever you want: the game. The only thing you can do wrong is go online and ask other people how to play it. That is why it is so good. I put 100 hours in and beat Ganon before I read a word about it online and it kicked rear end. Thank you for reading my essay.

I agree with the first sentence, which the second one contradicts oddly enough. As for how I played, I tried not to look up everything but I was reading the thread a lot after a week or so of playing it, making note of tips and tricks and whatnot. Still have to beat the game by the way, man that game is big.

I have some right side of the screen popping up stuff, a defect, I only play in docked mode. So just talked to Nintendo and will be sending it in, hopefully the warranty isn't lame. Now I gotta ship my switch proper, I guess bubble wrap or something, can I put shock absorbers in the box, be kind UPS guy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

There is a new Adventure Time game coming to Switch that gives off a bit of a Wind Waker vibe. I hope it’s good since most of them have been poo poo except for that Zelda 2 clone one.

Yeah that side-scrolling one is great, especially the Paul Robertson sprite work. The gameplay is serviceable if not spectacular, but at least it felt like a game that its developers cared about, unlike the later ones that feel pretty lazily thrown together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing I really dislike about BOTW on a second play (bothered me the first time too, but less) is realizing that I'm going to have to do some inane poo poo to finish the task at hand and it ends up taking 5 times longer than expected. Like, everything is a process and sometimes it really clicks and feels great but sometimes it just feel like the game doesn't respect that I don't have all the free time in the world. I was trying to do the thunder plateau shrine last night and I can't remember the last time I was so annoyed at a game. it was just layers and layers of bullshit just to accomplish the most simple puzzle.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

veni veni veni posted:

I was trying to do the thunder plateau shrine last night and I can't remember the last time I was so annoyed at a game. it was just layers and layers of bullshit just to accomplish the most simple puzzle.

What’s so complicated about it? If I remember right you just stasis knock a few orbs into the plateau and then put them in their respective dents.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://twitter.com/Kirby25thJP/status/952737964160827393

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
But you see the game doesn’t respect that this fella that is playing through a pretty big video game for the second time in less than a year doesn’t have all the free time in the world. No free time. To do the optional side quest. For the second time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually it's not my second time doing it. I skipped like 70% of the shrines the first time and wanted to play the DLC but my save is on a friends Wii U so I started over smartass. I've played like 15 hours of it in a month I'm not exactly barreling through it. I'm jut burned out on playing it for an hour here and there and accomplishing practically nothing 1/4 of the time.

Pug Rodeo posted:

What’s so complicated about it? If I remember right you just stasis knock a few orbs into the plateau and then put them in their respective dents.

Not complicated, I just came into it out of arrows and had to go back so I could knock them off, and before I figured out I could do that, I was trying to figure out how to get to the tops of them, which was a huge pain in the rear end. That comboed with the constant lightning and the inability to climb was just a huge unfun pain.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 15, 2018

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

veni veni veni posted:

Actually it's not my second time doing it. I skipped like 70% of the shrines the first time and wanted to play the DLC but my save is on a friends Wii U so I started over smartass. I've played like 15 hours of it in a month I'm not exactly barreling through it. I'm jut burned out on playing it for an hour here and there and accomplishing practically nothing 1/4 of the time.

lol ok so they're a smartass for taking your OP at face value

quote:

Not complicated, I just came into it out of arrows and had to go back so I could knock them off, and before I figured out I could do that, I was trying to figure out how to get to the tops of them, which was a huge pain in the rear end. That comboed with the constant lightning and the inability to climb was just a huge unfun pain.
Yeah I agree, video games are less fun when you're bad at them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And don't get me wrong I still love the game. It's just full of little things that annoy me and I think it's really lacking in the QOL dept sometimes.

Noctone posted:

lol ok so they're a smartass for taking your OP at face value

Or making a bunch of assumptions that aren't true and weren't implied by me. Not everyone that's already finished it played it for 150 hours. You can beat the game in like 20 hours if you want to.

Whoop de doo I've played Zelda for like 50 hours in a year, I shouldn't be criticizing something for being a pain in the rear end.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 15, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

And don't get me wrong I still love the game. It's just full of little things that annoy me and I think it's really lacking in the QOL dept sometimes.

The game has 120 shrines and a thousand other things, maybe find something else to do if you're having problems with one and you're time limited. :confused:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't handle Swole Dedede

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm proud of him for getting in shape.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gmq posted:

The game has 120 shrines and a thousand other things, maybe find something else to do if you're having problems with one and you're time limited. :confused:

Shrines are bad

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I could be wrong since this is only based on my personal observation but I'm pretty sure the only thing that scales up the difficulty of the game (by spawning more dangerous versions of enemies) is completing one of the four main dungeons. It's possible that shrines completed, etc also factor into this? but it definitely doesn't have anything to do with blood moons, that's just the game resetting the world when the memory stuff becomes too much to handle (it's funny, you can cheese them to happen more frequently by cutting down a bunch of trees and breaking crates and moving items around and poo poo).

Take your time, do the shrines. Feel free to go off and explore whatever looks cool but don't forget to occasionally just take the road from point A to point B, that's where you'll meet a lot of NPCs and pick up a lot of sidequests and you can easily miss all that if you constantly gently caress off into the wilderness and insist on climbing every mountain instead of taking the road going around it. It's a chill game and you can totally go at your own pace.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Real hurthling! posted:

Shrines are bad

Dear King of Hyrule:

There are too many shrines nowadays. Please eliminate 33.

I am not a crackpot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really hope the next Smash Bros has poo poo like Swole Dedede final smash, Mario replacing FLUDD with the hat toss, and Link maybe replacing the boomerang for one of his ipad powers/glider.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Botw link could easily be his own distinct character with glider recovery, cryonis platforms, stasis (maybe as a down+b counter move?) etc . Hell go nuts with it and add in weapon durability where his A-attack weapons break and get replaced with new ones with different properties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mario I'd say drop FLUDD and the cape swing. Put the spin attack back on down-B and turn side-B into a Cappy throw that can be used offensively and also for recovery

• Locked thread