Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just skip to DS3, it's probably the most accessable. It's not like there is any real plot that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
like i said i have beat dark souls a bunch of times and it is one of my favorite games ever.

i still have zero clue what the actual plot is.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

like i said i have beat dark souls a bunch of times and it is one of my favorite games ever.

i still have zero clue what the actual plot is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, I'm trying to get into Zelda: BotW but I just don't understand what people see in it. The open world seems empty and dreary and there aren't a whole ton of quests or activities to keep me going. Does it pick up after visiting Kakariko Village?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'll go to some lengths to google and understand jokes, but I don't think I can swing playing through two (3?) entire games to get memes. :smith:

here a autistic german gamer meme for you

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

You can't perma heal through the very last blue IE when it collapses completely. You actually want to have taken *just* enough damage so that the game allows you to use a first aid kit/medkit and you start using it before the blue hits you.

its an xbox one glitch. somehow you can "get under the map" and wont take damage from the circle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you get under the map on PC you will drown.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hoping the guys behind PUBG use their money to buy up-their-own-asses game studios like Rockstar or PGI, and pump out plot-free fun games.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Man, I'm trying to get into Zelda: BotW but I just don't understand what people see in it. The open world seems empty and dreary and there aren't a whole ton of quests or activities to keep me going. Does it pick up after visiting Kakariko Village?

Same. It just seemed slow to me

I also can't stand the speed of conversation text.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Same. It just seemed slow to me

I also can't stand the speed of conversation text.

You can hit B to instantly get through the dialogue

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

mods change my name posted:

Just skip to DS3, it's probably the most accessable. It's not like there is any real plot that matters.

But DS1 is the best.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

You can hit B to instantly get through the dialogue

I want to read it though. I just want it like most games with scrolling text where you hit B to just display the whole paragraph.

BoTW gives you the choice of sitting around waiting for letters to scroll or not knowing wtf is going on

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I want to read it though. I just want it like most games with scrolling text where you hit B to just display the whole paragraph.

BoTW gives you the choice of sitting around waiting for letters to scroll or not knowing wtf is going on

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was just playing BotW and the B button does what you want - instantly display the whole text box.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Seriously just go anywhere. BOTW loving owns. I think I’m 20 hours in and have barely touched the story past the village.

It’s like the first Zelda where they give you a sword and say “good luck”. The world is your oyster.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

But DS1 is the best.

ds2 is my favorite but they all own

also i loved scholar of the first sin and im really excited to see what they change in DS1 now, but i know im the super minority

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Wait, they are changing stuff besides graphics?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Be sure to exhaust all dialog options with the old lady there. I was stuck for a while because I didn’t do that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Seriously just go anywhere. BOTW loving owns. I think I’m 20 hours in and have barely touched the story past the village.

It’s like the first Zelda where they give you a sword and say “good luck”. The world is your oyster.

Guess I like a bit more structure. Witcher 3 was a perfect mix of open world and driving narrative with story missions.

Really kinda bummed cuz I wanted to like it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They really ought to tell you ingame that only the weapon, shield, and armor inventories are limited space in BOTW. I went through most of the game without knowing my food inventory would just add more pages as needed. You can cook as much stuff as you want and eat your way through fights.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Once the old lady gives you the divine beast locations, you have your choice of where to go for your story missions. Once you start that you have a lot more story/objectives.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Beat Brigador.
It was the best non-official Mechwarrior game I've played.
MWO: will forever be garbage so will MWO 1.5, cough, I mean Mechwarrior 5.

Advise me on the next game to play/try to beat:

-Wasteland 1 (kicking rear end in Vegas right now)
-original Shadow Warrior (the buildEngine game, not the really fun Flying Wild Hog reboot game)
-Fallout Tactics (main character skills are up to this thread)
-any of the SSI goldbox games (the TSR fantasy font sucks horribly on modern displays)
-Alien Legacy (weird weird game, weirder PnP RPG setting)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you can blow through og shadow warrior in an afternoon

also buildEngine owns and i love it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wasteland 1 was a game I replayed a billion times on my apple //c because god drat it and ultima 5 were the best poo poo ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

But DS1 is the best.

I never played any but I guess having a switch is a good a time as any to start hating myself ...??? Playing something like that on the go sounds fun

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Why, what a fine name for my new horse, first try on the random name generator, I think I'll take it.

Also, this game is so goddamn :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I never played any but I guess having a switch is a good a time as any to start hating myself ...??? Playing something like that on the go sounds fun

you will die a lot. you will get frustrated a lot. if you're the type of person who throws controllers, don't play it on a switch.

i have no idea why anyone would like that game, but goddamn i sure do.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why, what a fine name for my new horse, first try on the random name generator, I think I'll take it.

Also, this game is so goddamn :3:

I am good at farming. I am not good at the relationship thing but it doesn't really matter anyway so I am still really happy with how the game came out.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am good at farming. I am not good at the relationship thing but it doesn't really matter anyway so I am still really happy with how the game came out.

This is the first game in what feels like ages where I'm not playing goal-oriented at all, but instead just breezing along chilling, getting better at skills, and figuring out new poo poo. And considering the "world size" of this game, my mind is blown that they've managed to cram so much content in without giving you the feeling of being overwhelmed, or that the content feels forced. Hell, this might be the first game ever where I was thirty hours of gaming in before even googling for a wiki.

And I only did that, because I realized I made a massive mistake due to my normal gaming habits. Decided to explore the community center too late, and instead set up a reasonably efficient source of income to sustain me, as I do in most games. Turns out you don't need to do that at all in this game, and you can just waltz along and explore content as you go. So I missed out on the spring bundles and was bummed that I wouldn't get a chance to complete them until the next time spring came around.

And that's the next thing, this game even made achievements fun for reasons other than personal gain or improvement. Gradually unlocking a community center through foraging, crafting, hunting, and farming, while gaining you bonuses and goodies along the way and earning you the favor of the villagers.

They've loving weaponized altruism in this game and I love it.

I've expanded my farming to one scarecrow's worth of farmland with quality sprinklers to cut out the hassle of watering crops, upgraded my barn and coop to house some cows as my mainstay, with goats, a pig, and a sheep for some artisan products mixed in. Woolsley and Mr.Snout still have some trouble fitting in with Moobie & the gang, but a a pet a day and all is well. Over to the side, Cluckles Beaks give me some color diversity in eggs and occasionally faff around my crops when I forget to close the gate :3:

I've set up a little school of trees with tappers for sap products, a lighting rod or two, three rows of tilled soil for the summer trelis plants, and I plan on putting a bunch of crab pots in the little pond below my farm house. My first fruit tree should bear fruit soon (another thing I should have done sooner), and with the recipe for wild bait that Linus gave me, fishing is so chill that it takes you maybe an ingame hour or two to reel in a decent haul, usually with an extra sea cucumber for ol' Willy by the dock, who in turn will send me an occasional gift in the mail.
Not the most expensive fish, but small poo poo that I cut up into Sashimi and gift it to Abigail, whom I plan on putting a ring on in the Winter.

gently caress me, this game has me feeling like playing my first SNES game again. Purestrain nostalgia. :shobon:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I need to get over my autism in Stardew Valley and just chill out. I get stressed out trying to do as much as I can in every day even though I know it doesn't really matter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Replaying Horizon Zero Dawn (new game +, because that high tech shield armor loving rocks). Still easily one of my favorite games of 2017.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you can blow through og shadow warrior in an afternoon

also buildEngine owns and i love it

Thanks, I'll do Shadow Warrior first, then think more about a Fallout Tactics character build.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The most fun I had on Fallout Tactics was a gimmick one character only run. Didn't have to worry about ammo, didn't have to worry about squad mates getting tagged by missed enemy burst fire, leveled up at a faster than normal rate.

Of course I had to save scum a bit, because turning the wrong corner could have bad consequences.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Rat posted:

The most fun I had on Fallout Tactics was a gimmick one character only run. Didn't have to worry about ammo, didn't have to worry about squad mates getting tagged by missed enemy burst fire, leveled up at a faster than normal rate.

Of course I had to save scum a bit, because turning the wrong corner could have bad consequences.

I was thinking human + ghoul teammates until I unlock dethclaws + dogs.
Sadly this will result in lots of dead team-mates because I don't think dogs vs robots is a good match.
Dogs because dogmeat + the dogmeat analog in Arcanum were so drat good.

Would probably go for a medic main character in that run, with SMG or explosives backup skills

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

The Rat posted:

My cowboy gimmick character with a double barrel shotgun and .454 Casull revolver took me pretty dang far :clint:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

My favorite game ever

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

But don’t use a loving guide. You can only play it blind once and that is the best experience.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

But don’t use a loving guide. You can only play it blind once and that is the best experience.

Gotta admit I'm impressed.
You faking a nuclear attack on Hawaii to avoid getting pepper sprayed is pretty epic.

Shadow Warrior original: There is two versions on GOG/Steam: Shadow Warrior Classic + Shadow Warrior classic Redux.
Redux version has updated graphics like the re-release of Strife apparently.
Which version of Shadow Warrior should I play?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Gotta admit I'm impressed.
You faking a nuclear attack on Hawaii to avoid getting pepper sprayed is pretty epic.

Shadow Warrior original: There is two versions on GOG/Steam: Shadow Warrior Classic + Shadow Warrior classic Redux.
Redux version has updated graphics like the re-release of Strife apparently.
Which version of Shadow Warrior should I play?

OG

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Never played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why would you do this, the updated version just adds normal resolutions and better controls