Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRtBP07gIHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I remember really enjoying the Altered Carbon books as a teenager but Kinnaman cannot convincingly act or fight so I dunno. Hopefully the supporting cast is solid and the budget issues/reductions don't impact the production values noticeably. Probably put the show on in the background but not expect too much.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Afriscipio posted:

The books were very pulp.

Disappointing, I was fully expecting a contemplative Blade Runner esque show.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

o i was wonderin about the 'young adult spiritual successor' recently...cool

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

o i was wonderin about the 'young adult spiritual successor' recently...cool

Loving Charlize's mommy look in this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I bet you are

:wink:
:wmwink:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am hopeful because I rly love Young Adult but not too hopeful because I have not forgotten Jason Reitman most recently directed that Adam Sandler Black Mirror movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I am hopeful because I rly love Young Adult but not too hopeful because I have not forgotten Jason Reitman most recently directed that Adam Sandler Black Mirror movie

Oh gently caress you're right. I was surprised at how not-deadly Young Adult was, Jennifer's Body too for that matter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Young Adult was great!

I was into this trailer but I'm apprehensive re: the Tully character. Like it seems she's some kind of cosmic being that Mommy Charlize might have subconsciously wished for? Possibly her name is some kind of pun, or a child's mispronunciation? Maybe I'm reading too much into that last line, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hat Thoughts posted:

i cannot properly express the level of my hate for that movie. it wasted a good cast and a great director on one of the worst loving scripts I've ever seen and everyone seemed to play down to that level.

Jason Reitman right after Young Adult had such a good track record (i mean Thank You For Smoking/Juno/Up In The Air/Young Adult is an unimpeachable set of movies) and then he pissed it away on a lovely potboiler and an even shittier polemic and after those two I dunno if I trust him anymore. I do still trust Diablo Cody and Charlize Theron though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whoa.

I was trying to look up the lovely movies that Jason Reitman had made after Young Adult & he looked super familiar in the pictures that google threw at my face. I was like "did he act in something I've seen recently?" Turns out he kinda looks like Jason Lee and I am not the first to make that observation. Possibly I will be the last?

Anyway, those other movies look super uninteresting so I'm glad I didn't watch them.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve never seen Men, Women & Children (along with everyone else lol) but the description of it on Wikipedia is offensive in how stupid it is. I’m really glad nobody liked it and it made no money.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I kind of like the title though. I mean it could be the title of like almost every film ever made.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I’m not going to make any judgements on the film, but why do I get the feeling that Tully is just going to be another Manic Pixie Dream Girl movie?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'mma be real: the only Jason Reitman movies I think are unimpeachably good are based on Diablo Cody scripts. I can take or leave Thank You for Smoking and Up in the Air, but I'll go to bat for Juno and especially Young Adult.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I’m not going to make any judgements on the film, but why do I get the feeling that Tully is just going to be another Manic Pixie Dream Girl movie?

Because it looks bad?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always here for Mackenzie Davis just bug-eyeing all over a situation, no matter how iffy the rest of the movie looks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

K. Waste posted:

I'mma be real: the only Jason Reitman movies I think are unimpeachably good are based on Diablo Cody scripts. I can take or leave Thank You for Smoking and Up in the Air, but I'll go to bat for Juno and especially Young Adult.

Strange, I got as far as seeing "From the creators of Juno and Young Adult" and stopped watching because that means it's guaranteed to be poo poo. Thank You For Smoking was a decent movie though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Jennifer's Body was unexpectedly good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Men, Women and Children is insanely bad, like career worst work for anyone who hadn't worked on or starred in a Garry Marshall movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

married but discreet posted:

Jennifer's Body was unexpectedly good.

It definitely is.

I've seen it getting some love lately, which is awesome. I remember really digging it when it came out, but I think that was the height of the Juno/Diablo Cody backlash, so lots of people didn't like it or even see it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I don't think Diablo Cody is some genius or whatever but she's written some pretty great movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I heard Jennifer’s Body was poo poo so I didn’t bother. I watched it when it came out on dvd and it was not poo poo at all. People are stupid and Jennifer’s Body is quite excellent.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Most people probably shied away from it considering it prominently features bad actress Megan Fox. Does Amanda Seyfried balance her out?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Megan Fox is quite good in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She really is. She’s never been bad except for transformers 2 which, well, everyone was bad in that.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Up In The Air is one of my favorite movies ever

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Jennifer's Body is one of the best horror comedies in the last 15 years. It's so good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Jennifer's Body is one of the best horror comedies in the last 15 years. It's so good.

I watched it in a critical vaccuum and I was blown away by it's poor reception after I looked up its reviews. It's really terrific.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I refuse to believe it's better than What We Do in the Shadows, but I'm willing to accept goon consensus of it being good. I've added it to my Will Rent Someday list.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Proteus Jones posted:

I refuse to believe it's better than What We Do in the Shadows, but I'm willing to accept goon consensus of it being good. I've added it to my Will Rent Someday list.

Oooh that's a close call. That film also rules.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i mean, Shaun of the Dead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I watched it in a critical vaccuum and I was blown away by it's poor reception after I looked up its reviews. It's really terrific.

Well if the poor reception to mother! is anything to go by then most people wouldn't know a good horror-comedy if it slapped its dick across their face, so...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean, Shaun of the Dead

Yeah wtf. Jennifer's Body is nowhere near Shaun of the Dead or What We Do in the Shadows.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Also Slither, Fright Night, Drag me to Hell

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Cabin in the Woods

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

Also Slither, Fright Night, Drag me to Hell