Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
The change was years ago now, :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

The change was years ago now, :wtf:

As far as I know this only started happening recently. I think it may have started around the time endeavor changed their call sign and all the EDV/ENY confusion started happening a while back.

fknlo posted:

Which side of the center? Doesn't sound like anyone I knew.

Your company needs to remember to keep putting "Callsign Envoy" in the remarks like they did for a really long time. Hell, they might still do it and I just ignore it now.

Not totally sure how the sectors are split but I only hear him in the northeast near the border with ZAU.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Not totally sure how the sectors are split but I only hear him in the northeast near the border with ZAU.

Going into ZAU to the west of SPI? If so, I know who it is. Guy is kind of a prick. The guy I went to ZDV with knew who it was immediately when I asked him about it. They were in the same area.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, controllers. Say I've got this plane that just came out of its 411/413 check. On that check, the maintainer noted that the blind encoder for the transponder was exactly 100' higher than the altimeter for the full range. The limit is +-125ft, so its within limits, but what should the pilot do?

When he checks in to a sector flying at 2000ft, the controller is going to say "I've got you at 2100, confirm." Does he reply "my transponder reads exactly 100' high, I'm at 2000" ? If so, is there something in your setup that lets you change his mode-c response in these cases?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nothing that we can change. But 200ft and under, and we consider the mode C readout as accurate enough for air traffic services.

300ft and higher deviations, and we have to ask you to turn mode C off if it can't be fixed in the air.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I wonder if I'll have to work tomorrow since I'm not certified on anything but the A-side?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

During the last shutdown, our FacRep went to bat and made sure the A-sides were counted as operational personnel. That was good for me, since I WAS an A-side. In your situation, I’m sure you’d prefer the alternate outcome...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

During the last shutdown, our FacRep went to bat and made sure the A-sides were counted as operational personnel. That was good for me, since I WAS an A-side. In your situation, I’m sure you’d prefer the alternate outcome...

Correct! I'll take free vacation any day of the week. I think counting on getting back pay for this one might be risky though, so whatever.

I put in for change of station leave this upcoming Tuesday. 6 of the 8 hours were approved for vehicle registration and to get insurance. They denied 2 hours for the stuff I need to do to get my CCW license. They only do it on Tuesday and Thursday and I have to go to Boulder to do it. I definitely consider that part of things that need to be done for moving. I don't want to have to talk to my facrep about dumb poo poo like that, especially since it's not going to do anything.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You itemized your CoS leave request? Here, people just say “I have to move, and I’d like to take forty-eight hours of my forty-eight available hours of CoS leave.” It gets approved 100% of the time.

This is why I’m extremely hesitant to transfer. This silly poo poo, and training again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

You itemized your CoS leave request? Here, people just say “I have to move, and I’d like to take forty-eight hours of my forty-eight available hours of CoS leave.” It gets approved 100% of the time.

This is why I’m extremely hesitant to transfer. This silly poo poo, and training again.

The ATM here is a complete hardass with CoS and poo poo like weather leave. It's just him.

Hopefully I don't have issues when I use the last 3 days I have to go back to KC to get my other car. I don't see how that wouldn't be a legit reason but I'm sure he'll come up with some random hour count and only approve a day and a half or something. He denied CoS for the other guy from ZKC because he "didn't put enough info on the form". It was an interview at a preschool for one of his kids...

E: have to work tomorrow if there's a shutdown. Boo.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 20, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wish I could shirk my responsibilities like a congresscritter. Not having repercussions for not doing the singular loving thing you get the job to do must be nice.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

I wish I could shirk my responsibilities like a congresscritter. Not having repercussions for not doing the singular loving thing you get the job to do must be nice.

At least the TFR was cancelled, this time (dunno how much extra work it is for you guys)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my first two sectors :toot:

Start on the next one tomorrow.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Congrats

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

At least the TFR was cancelled, this time (dunno how much extra work it is for you guys)

The TFR itself is actually not too bad. The way they set up the sector automation for the associated military airspace is an abomination, and someone needs to get strung up for it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

So rather than fix the root problem with the EDV/ENY confusion our company has asked for us to start snitching on controllers who mess it up:

"so that the FAA can combat the problem at the local sites immediately." That sounds deeply unpleasant.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

KodiakRS posted:

So rather than fix the root problem with the EDV/ENY confusion our company has asked for us to start snitching on controllers who mess it up:

"so that the FAA can combat the problem at the local sites immediately." That sounds deeply unpleasant.

Alphanumeric callsigns... Helps a heck of a lot. When will they stop passing the buck?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Controllers confuse SkyWest and Southwest all the time (especially the further east we fly at OO) yet neither of us get butthurt whenever a controller slips up. :shrug:

hjp766 posted:

Alphanumeric callsigns... Helps a heck of a lot. When will they stop passing the buck?

This. We used to use them a lot flying in and out of United hubs, but I haven’t heard any callsigns like that lately.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Controllers confuse SkyWest and Southwest all the time (especially the further east we fly at OO) yet neither of us get butthurt whenever a controller slips up. :shrug:

None of our pilots get butthurt either. At most a bit annoyed. I guess someone somewhere must have had an incident somewhere that caught the attention of the FAA, who in turn talked to our company, who in turn is shirking responsibility by throwing controllers under the bus.

They have shown no intention of fixing the problems we've been having by flying flights with similar flight numbers in the same airspace. Go figure.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

They have shown no intention of fixing the problems we've been having by flying flights with similar flight numbers in the same airspace. Go figure.

Sky West is really bad about this. I was training and had 3 people plugged in on a sector with 2 SKW landing Aspen. None of us caught the wrong one taking the clearance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JBU: We don’t answer, but when we do, it’s for someone else’s clearance.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

fknlo posted:

Sky West is really bad about this. I was training and had 3 people plugged in on a sector with 2 SKW landing Aspen. None of us caught the wrong one taking the clearance.

Sorry, must be all the Aussies we've been hiring that are reading clearances wrong :australia:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/967904432888348677

Because of course he is.

quote:

Dunkin has told people that when he used to fly Trump around on his private Boeing 757, they'd often find themselves stuck on the tarmac with delays. He'd tell Trump that none of this would happen if a pilot ran the FAA.

:thunk:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
gently caress it. Launch them all and let God sort them out.

Would love to see routine aerial holding patterns make a resurgence. We need to burn through the last of our fossil fuels.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sweet Jesus it finally happened. I'm going to the academy off the August 2016 bid. March 20-July 18.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

its all nice on rice posted:

Sweet Jesus it finally happened. I'm going to the academy off the August 2016 bid. March 20-July 18.

Congrats. Work hard.

Terminal or En Route?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Enroute. Trying to determine if I should drive or fly down there. 2,000 miles isn't terrible, and it'll be through part of the country I've not gone through before.
They actually wanted me to start this friday because someone dropped out last minute, but that's a bit too short notice for me.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Enroute. Trying to determine if I should drive or fly down there. 2,000 miles isn't terrible, and it'll be through part of the country I've not gone through before.
They actually wanted me to start this friday because someone dropped out last minute, but that's a bit too short notice for me.

Good luck, I left the academy for enroute about two years ago. Get as many easy points as you can so you can go into the final radar evals with a little less pressure, and don't let your nerves get the best of you on the evals.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How often do applications for Air Traffic Controllers open up? Any idea when the next one will be?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There's usually been one per year. Generally in the spring.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just got back from a trip to Anchorage. Anyone know anyone at the center? Such a beautiful place.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Just got back from a trip to Anchorage. Anyone know anyone at the center? Such a beautiful place.

I know a few guys who spent some time there (washouts and retirees). Were you able to get out of Anchorage and see some of the scenery out of town? Anchorage is cool but it gets exponentially better after a short drive in drat near any direction.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
(PPL student pilot here)
So it looks like there will be a massive lockout in the public sector in Denmark, starting April 10th. This apparently includes ATC. I guess this means no-one can enter the C and D airspaces then?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
An operating control tower is a requirement for C and D airspace.

They'll revert to class E or G airspace airports if the towers close for any amount of time.

You said Denmark though, I can only speak to what happens in the US. Unless you're in Denmark, USA, wherever that is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know a few guys who spent some time there (washouts and retirees). Were you able to get out of Anchorage and see some of the scenery out of town? Anchorage is cool but it gets exponentially better after a short drive in drat near any direction.

Ya, we drove all the hell over the place, went snowmobiling, snowshoeing, etc. I also learned that I need to learn to ski and/or snowboard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
ZDV did not seem to know that if you have a normal quick turn during the spring daylight savings switch that you won't have 9 hours between shifts. I basically got everyone on my crew an extra hour off tonight.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not like this happens every year or anything

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Not like this happens every year or anything

I kind of got the impression that they've never actually dealt with it. There's just no way that's true, but it really seemed like it.

I did hear that the FLM that does the schedule in my old area at ZKC still managed to gently caress it up again this year. So there's that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I once got held for two hours of OT, and then got referred to professional standards when I didn’t have 9hrs between shifts when I showed up for the early-morning shift before the mid.

The FAA is run by people who couldn’t graduate from clown college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Started enroute today. So far so good. Lots of info. Lots of reasons to LOL at stuckmic. We're already a class of 17 with a no-show. I am the old man at 31.
The facility selection process actually makes a lot of sense after they explained it- each class is given 2 choices for every student that graduates. They take 33% of the graduating number, and that's the number of "mandatory" facilities. If 9 students pass, there are 18 choices, and 3 of those choices (33% of 9) are required to be filled. The student with the highest score picks from the entire list of facilities, and it goes from there. If it gets down to the final three students, and the three mandatory facilities have not been chosen, they have to choose from the mandatory list. If no one likes the options, they can go with the opt-out. Currently, the only opt-put is San Juan. New York was one, but got removed from the list last week, apparently.
Get to go to CAMI tomorrow and take some tests!

OKC is also a very brown place.