Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the n64 controller was like the model t of game controllers man

i.e. insanely unergonomic and alien by modern conventions of human-machine interactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wow what a lovely loving snipe

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please ban all anti-nintendo controller posters tia

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:confused: 8-pin, the one on the bottom-left had a hole but no metal

well poo poo wait a sec that's the pin for the button; how the hell did my button work

did they build that one pin differently from all the others? there's no need to key it cause the jack's already trapezoidal

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 15, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

the n64 controller was like the model t of game controllers man

i.e. insanely unergonomic and alien by modern conventions of human-machine interactions

nah it was fine

it was a digital controller if you held it by the wings, or an analog one if you held the centre stick and either wing because the d-pad and the abxy buttons had the same layout

still sucked for leftties cause they couldn't use the arrow buttons

teh gcn controller was friggin weird and i never got used to it, but people who lived on the gamecube loved that weird plastic mishmosh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

flakeloaf posted:

:confused: 8-pin, the one on the bottom-left had a hole but no metal

doesn’t matter, it’s still a DE-9 connector, and if you look at the actual ports you’ll see that they have 9 pins on them

quote:

well poo poo wait a sec that's the pin for the button; how the hell did my button work

did they build that one pin differently from all the others? there's no need to key it cause the jack's already trapezoidal

you sure you’re not thinking of it reversed, and that’s not the pin for the B paddle (and the one above it for the A paddle)?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

doesn’t matter, it’s still a DE-9 connector, and if you look at the actual ports you’ll see that they have 9 pins on them

yup they do, otherwise a standard atari 2600/compatible controller wouldn't fit and i went through like 4 of those

anyway, i saw the controller itself only looked like it had 8 wires, so i figured UDLR and button made 5, power 6, ground 7, and paddle um.... :iiam:

quote:

you sure you’re not thinking of it reversed, and that’s not the pin for the B paddle (and the one above it for the A paddle)?

quite possible; you needed to connect 2 gemini controllers with a y to use the paddle; guess i know what that y does now

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 15, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
3do was pretty sweet, db9 and you could daisy chain the controllers

not enough buttons though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

there were two analog L + R triggers but z was a shoulder button. all modern consoles have copied nintendo's gamecube controller design

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I could reach z and the stick from the left side of the n64 controller and it is perfect in every way

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

3do was pretty sweet, db9 and you could daisy chain the controllers

not enough buttons though

ripping out the player 2 controller while playing street fighter 2 was the ultimate super move

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

ripping out the player 2 controller while playing street fighter 2 was the ultimate super move

there's a circle of hell reserved for you folk

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
no war but the console war

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I sure do love installing patch 1709 every twenty minutes, that's fun

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Dongslayer. posted:

pioneering technology that we still use today.

i actually loved the whole vmu thing as a kid but the sides are rather perpendicular and close together on that controller which ultimately made it poo poo.

i'm sensing sarcasm, perhaps it's misplaced

but the Xbox One original had in-controller memory cards much like the dreamcast.

also the idea of smaller mini-games that feed back into your main game is absolutely still a thing, through mobile games

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

no war but the console war

wouldn't it be great if the CIA didn't create al qaeda, or wasn't assisting ISIS and instead we could settle this in a game of Quake 3

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PleasureKevin posted:

wouldn't it be great if the CIA didn't create al qaeda, or wasn't assisting ISIS and instead we could settle this in a game of Quake 3

i remember reading a book as a kid where the main plot was a kid gets elected president and instead of going to war challenges this other country's dictator to a video game

the 90s were wild

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm sensing sarcasm, perhaps it's misplaced

but the Xbox One original had in-controller memory cards much like the dreamcast.

also the idea of smaller mini-games that feed back into your main game is absolutely still a thing, through mobile games

there is another one console that had memory cards slotting into the controllers, may just be a bit obscure compared to the roaring success of the dreamcast. it was called the nintendo 64

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

we did this in the 80s, it was called robot jox

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I sure do love installing patch 1709 every twenty minutes, that's fun

oh, did you get the fuckup loop where the patch fails to install, reports success, then tries to install again with a forced reboot?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh, did you get the fuckup loop where the patch fails to install, reports success, then tries to install again with a forced reboot?

it fails to install, reports nothing because heh it's not like the user needs to know this, but one click down in the updates dialog that won't pop unless you ask for it, it calmly notes that it's had 19 whacks at it so far

it's not in the "don't reboot now" window it tries again and just restarts the machine endlessly

so that's hidden now, and we'll see what happens in five weeks i guess :iiam:

lol for all the normal people who are supposed to magically know how to do this

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 15, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a few variations on that loop, they all appear to be caused by the update packagers being syphilitic gibbons that add loving pants on head stupid pre-install checks that fail in entirely novel ways with absolutely no error handling

of course none of this is caught, because there's no need for QA, we'll just have the devs test it themselves

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

either the next cumulative update will fix it, or no cumulative update will ever apply again, because it's looking for some bullshit that doesn't exist and isn't actually required for the install to proceed

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

after i read something he's written, that's the first name that comes out of my mouth more often than not; yeah

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

after i read something he's written, that's the first name that comes out of my mouth more often than not; yeah

:five:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

flakeloaf posted:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

flakeloaf posted:

it fails to install, reports nothing because heh it's not like the user needs to know this, but one click down in the updates dialog that won't pop unless you ask for it, it calmly notes that it's had 19 whacks at it so far

Yep good stuff

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
skype lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that's the spectre/meltdown one. they're complaining about 1709, the fall creators update

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eric posted:

skype lol

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eric posted:

skype lol

is this real skype or communicator/lync/skype4b365office? i mean the lols arent changing i just want to know

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Agile Vector posted:

is this real skype or communicator/lync/skype4b365office? i mean the lols arent changing i just want to know

microsoft enterprise chat is supposed to be teams now but who the space gently caress even knows anymore

if the icon's accurate that's probably skype for jerks who are otherwise like us but too dumb to not use skype though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dont be mean to me posted:

microsoft enterprise chat is supposed to be teams now but who the space gently caress even knows anymore

if the icon's accurate that's probably skype for jerks who are otherwise like us but too dumb to not use skype though

lync
teams

they have four competing chat products and none of them are even very good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lync and s4b are the same thing but you shoul be using teams for biz stuff

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Agile Vector posted:

It’s the Skype app. If I forget to close it after a few weeks it will just keep using more memory.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lync
teams

they have four competing chat products and none of them are even very good
and they'll never get anyone to migrate because they can't communicate with each other (reliably)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Lync, teams and s4b are just reskinned versions of the same software

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

Lync, teams and s4b are just reskinned versions of the same software

what software can have this many names and equal levels of awfulness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
microsoft is the only company that shuffles its product names as often as they do.