Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Shortest Path posted:

How does this address the problem of not having cheap instant speed interaction to stop all of the dumb things that have needed bans?

It doesn't.

It just causes more problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

AlternateNu posted:

Most angels are rare, so making a pauper deck is going to be difficult. There are only four angels that cost less than 4 and are common or uncommon. All but one are pretty bad, and the remaining one is blue of all things.

Well drat. Was hoping not to spend too much just in case she isn't a fan of the game. See if there's any other cards I can talk her into.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Patrick Chapin pointed out the problem that Wizards has made too many cards that snowball. There are too many threats that say "answer me this turn or you lose" in standard.

This was my main complaint about Eternal too. Too many cards that you just lost to if you didn't deal with them in 2 turns max.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Well drat. Was hoping not to spend too much just in case she isn't a fan of the game. See if there's any other cards I can talk her into.

"Pauper" is a specific format where all cards must be common.

If you just want to make her a "cheap" angel deck, some of the rare/UC angels can be had pretty cheap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoutPatrol posted:

Patrick Chapin pointed out the problem that Wizards has made too many cards that snowball. There are too many threats that say "answer me this turn or you lose" in standard.

Is this really the problem w/ Temur Energy? Cub is the only thing that really fits that (and Push doesn't care about its growth).

I guess Refiner is a snowball effect, but of a different variety.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Introduce emergency legalization. Not enough removal? Boom, X card from the past is standard legal for Y rotations.

This surely will not go wrong.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Is this really the problem w/ Temur Energy? Cub is the only thing that really fits that (and Push doesn't care about its growth).

Cub, Hydra, and splashing for Scarab God count. A Virtuoso on an empty board can run away with a game too. Chandra too, but most planeswalkers are now designed to do that anyway. A Chupacabra may help you but it can't single-handedly win the game like the others can, just because it's only a 2/2.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kalsco posted:

Introduce emergency legalization. Not enough removal? Boom, X card from the past is standard legal for Y rotations.

This surely will not go wrong.

*looks at "Blood Sun" and frowns*

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think Attune will go for sure. I would like to see Ramunap Ruins go, because that is the most unfun card I have played against in a long time. I think they make axes Rogue Refiner, but I don't think it needs to be. If Rogue goes, I think G/B may make a resurgence with Snake and explore.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

It’s all about the high impact for low opportunity cost.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DangerDongs posted:

I think Attune will go for sure. I would like to see Ramunap Ruins go, because that is the most unfun card I have played against in a long time. I think they make axes Rogue Refiner, but I don't think it needs to be. If Rogue goes, I think G/B may make a resurgence with Snake and explore.

If they just went with their 18 month rotation none of these problems would be problems

Too bad they can't make a decision and stick with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s all about the high impact for low opportunity cost.

That and accumulated incremental value, but I see that as a different problem from what GoutPatrol described. An "answer me this turn or you lose" threat to me is a card like Ally Gideon, which kills you very quickly all on its own. Scarab God is similar.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 15, 2018

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Scarab God is a dumb card and needs to go imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

That and accumulated incremental value, but I see that as a different problem from what GoutPatrol described. An "answer me this turn or you lose" threat to me is a card like Ally Gideon, which kills you very quickly all on its own. Scarab God is similar.

Ally Gideon is also accumulated incremental value though, just that it’s that and also killing you real loving quick without any answers

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

that's not what patrick chapin or pat sullivan were pointing out at all. Standard isn't full of must-answers, standard is full of "I don't give a gently caress if you have the answer because I already got my value." All of the premier creatures either bring along a half a card or a full card of value, are very difficult to remove, or have haste and kill you real fast.

This makes standard terrible because 1) it makes any sort of creature that doesn't have a great ETB or doesn't go in red aggro stone unplayable, and 2) it creates a narrow range on the type of games that can play out. Once you've seen one energy vs energy you've seen them all.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 15, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ally Gideon is also accumulated incremental value though, just that it’s that and also killing you real loving quick without any answers

It's both yeah. A single copy of Hydra or Virtuoso is not that. The cards themselves can kill you (though, they are nothing special on that front), but it's the (noninteractable) accumulated incremental value that other decks can't keep up with.

I'm just saying that "answer me this turn or you lose" is mischaracterizing the main problem, imho. (you can't answer the accumulated incremental value of energy even if you wanted)

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Scarab God is a dumb card and needs to go imo.

Well it will make all the people who bought playsets of a $50 card really mad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

moush posted:

Well it will make all the people who bought playsets of a $50 card really mad.

But WotC "doesn't care about the secondary economy"!!!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I did a couple of sealed events today. The first one was B/W heavy control featuring Wakening Sun's Avatar, Zetalpa Primal Dawn, and Conqueror's Galleon. I went 3-1, losing only to a friend who had the black Elder Dinosaur and ways to recur it from the graveyard.

The I played B/R/u Pirates with Repeating Barrage, Chupacabra, and Raid Clone. The deck was crazy and had a ton of removal and I went 4-0 without too much trouble.

Sealed was fun, although Tetzimoc, Primal Death is loving bullshit.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My prediction is Attune with Aether, Longtusk Cub and Hazoret

Vyro Ingo
May 20, 2013
As a new player is there anywhere i can see clearly what the current sets for Standard are and when they rotate out. A group of 4 of us want to put in for a load of cards but are unsure of what to buy.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Vyro Ingo posted:

As a new player is there anywhere i can see clearly what the current sets for Standard are and when they rotate out. A group of 4 of us want to put in for a load of cards but are unsure of what to buy.

http://whatsinstandard.com/

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My prediction is something really stupid will happen, like Servant of the Conduit and nothing else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's going to be real stupid when they ban a few lynchpin energy cards and then everything becomes mono red mirrors because they didn't think one step ahead.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I know we laughed when SCG dropped all their standard events in the first half of the year but looking at the GP calendar there are only two standard GPs between now and Dominaria. One at the end of February and one at the beginning of April.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tainen posted:

I know we laughed when SCG dropped all their standard events in the first half of the year but looking at the GP calendar there are only two standard GPs between now and Dominaria. One at the end of February and one at the beginning of April.

Good.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Didn't they make them team events, while also buying out legacy staples?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Do any other UK or other Euro goons have any experience of magiccardmarket? Even for English language cards the prices seem generally the best.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

Do any other UK or other Euro goons have any experience of magiccardmarket? Even for English language cards the prices seem generally the best.

I've had mostly good experiences and the couple of times something went wrong the seller bent over backwards to get me to change my feedback (refunded me in full while letting me keep the 2 week late cards etc). I live in the UK, so generally if I want stuff quickly I have to pay the higher prices of UK sellers, they are still way cheaper than everywhere else though. If you can plan ahead, unlike me, properly then it's a great place to pick up what you need.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

Done almost 200 buys, it's basically only place I buy cards nowadays. Using want lists and shopping wizard makes using it much easier than just browsing stuff.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Dysgenesis posted:

Nothing but good so far. Two of my friends sell thousands of cards through it and for a seller it's a really good means of selling their bulk.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Wow, so it seems really good.

Thanks for all the speedy responses.

Vyro Ingo
May 20, 2013

Perfect, thanks muchly :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It would actually be pretty funny if they banned Ruins too and just completely blew the format up. That will make people feel good about buying standard cards going forward lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I confess I'll be sour if Scarab God gets the axe, as I got two in the deck and one in the binder, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I have resigned myself that my 4C energy is probably going to have to get reworked into like Grixis Midrange Goodstuff after the announcement.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 15, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a no-win situation and it’s one WotC deserves IMHO

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I confess I'll be sour if Scarab God gets the axe, as I got two in the deck and one in the binder, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I have resigned myself that my 4C energy is probably going to have to get reworked into like Grixis Midrange Goodstuff after the announcement.

There is no chance Scarab is getting banning. It's a big splashy mythic. They REALLY don't want to ban cards like that...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There is no chance Scarab is getting banning. It's a big splashy mythic. They REALLY don't want to ban cards like that...

I agreem’rakul

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If there's only one ban, it'll be attune, if there's two, it'll be attune+rogue refiner. There won't be more than two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I agreem’rakul

That card was completely warping the format. Scarab isn't doing that.