Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

boviscopophobic posted:

This whole video is pretty good for schadenfreude if you're looking to burn some time.

1) Game freezes immediately at the start of the video.
2) Reloading takes 70 seconds.
3) Cutlass Black is lost due to the freeze, reclaiming it takes 85 minutes, reduced to 7.5 minutes if you pay to expedite the claim. (Note: expedited processing fees seem to be waived currently).
3) It takes him 12 minutes of space combat action to kill a single NPC fighter guarding the mission objective.
4) After grabbing the mission objective box floating in space and re-entering his ship, the local physics grid ejects him and he is stuck paralyzed in space, with no working controls.
5) He suicides and flies back out to the mission site in another ship. The mission objective box is still sitting inside his previous ship but is glitched and cannot be picked up.
6) He attempts to quantum travel back to Olisar but QT is not working and removes control of the ship, fixable only by exiting the pilot seat. Another NPC ship comes and takes his shields down to critical while he's sitting, immobilized.
7) Suicide, respawn, and rant.

All this takes place at sub-20 fps, except for dips down to 3-5 fps during items 5 and 6.

His rant at the end gloriously missed the point as well. He's obviously upset at the whole thing, and he's ranting at CIG about how the quality of Live is lower than the PTU etc. Just ranting and raving and not having any of the "It's just an Alpha" excuses slow him down. While I enjoy the salt, I'm still blown away - absolutely mind blown - how much he's missing the point. And it's not just him - every streamer, every backer, missing the procedurally-generated forest for the high-fidelity trees.

It doesn't matter that CIG released the game in this state to the Live environment. The frame-rate doesn't matter. The patch cycle doesn't matter. This guy needs to get something through his head - he can't treat CIG like a game development company because CIG is not a game development company. They are a company creating digital assets for sale, and they're attempting to cobble together an online world in which to use those assets. The company is led by a non-game developer who is not qualified, and in fact uniquely unqualified to do his job, and the company has produced nothing, has no history, and no path forward. Holding them to the standards of a game development company is unbelievably stupid.

That's one part of it.

The next part is the assumption that CIG gives a flying gently caress about what they release to the PTU or whatnot as if it's all part of normal game testing and deployment. It isn't. Every single byte of code that lands on the PTU, or anywhere else, is done for purely optic reasons - not to do anything for backers or the people who have funded this. It's to create gaming journal headlines like "Long-Awaited 3.0 Patch Goes Live" just in time for backers to spend their Christmas money on Chris's lies again. It's so they can create a false narrative of progress (like how 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, now 3.0, are all numbers going up hence progress and not a scam at all guys). So when this guy rants and raves about the relative quality of what's released to "Test" vs. "Live" my stomach actually hurts as I realize how naive he is - going into this with the belief that the "Test" and "Live" environments are being used as if Chris understands them, how they're used, why they're used, etc. It literally hurts to listen to.

Dear Streamer: if you haven't already, please take a few hours out of your life and go watch The Truman Show. Then come to the realization that Chris Roberts is doing the exact same thing with Star Citizen. That's why there are so many videos which they are peddling as "open development." It explains why the highest possible fidelity assets were built before the engine was done. It explains why they don't patch properly or test properly. Or do anything properly. I realize the awakening to the fact that Star Citizen has devolved into a scam is a painful one, but that pain is worth it. Once you get past it, instead of banging your head against the wall trying to understand this project, you will actually be able to predict its course.

Example: soon there will be a concept ship sale. No matter the state of the game at the time, no matter the bug count, no matter the lawsuit status - there will be a ship sale. Anything and everything CIG can do to move dollars from your bank account to theirs is their #1 priority all day and all night, 365 days of the year. Stop throwing yourself against this brick wall - there's nothing on the other side.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
OK, so the sale finally ends today.

By the numbers:
2017-12-22 $68,832
2017-12-23 $188,723
2017-12-24 $190,559
2017-12-25 $152,451
2017-12-26 $147,661
2017-12-27 $149,847
2017-12-28 $141,118
2017-12-29 $143,248
2017-12-30 $128,102
2017-12-31 $135,254
2018-01-01 $105,806
2018-01-02 $108,695
2018-01-03 $100,408
2018-01-04 $95,074
2018-01-05 $100,820
2018-01-06 $127,076
2018-01-07 $114,727
2018-01-08 $109,713
2018-01-09 $77,598
2018-01-10 $64,933
2018-01-11 $56,741
2018-01-12 $62,683
2018-01-13 $44,901
2018-01-14 $66,001

Total : $2.68M

I'll announce the winners once the final numbers are in the spreadsheet.

Looks like we might just have a tie for winners if the numbers don't move too much.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wow that pathetic final day.

Not really the kind of final splurge you might hope for.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
From this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PTvvAWZAmg

to

https://www.techspot.com/news/63551-investigator-finds-zano-kickstarter-failure-due-incompetence-rather.html

Looks like CIG is going the way of the Zano.

e: Oh interestingly enough, a company stepped in and bought all the assets. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42600085

no_recall fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 15, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

Wow that pathetic final day.

Not really the kind of final splurge you might hope for.

When you rub for too long, it dries

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

These guys are exasperated and have nothing left to argue with.

CIG don't own any buildings, it's all rent, that money's gone. And the one thing they did own they put up for collateral for a loan and now it turns out they didn't have a license to develop it in the first place.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

They are a company creating digital assets for sale, and they're attempting to cobble together an online world in which to use those assets.

This doesn't get said enough.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Scruffpuff posted:

His rant at the end gloriously missed the point as well. He's obviously upset at the whole thing, and he's ranting at CIG about how the quality of Live is lower than the PTU etc. Just ranting and raving and not having any of the "It's just an Alpha" excuses slow him down. While I enjoy the salt, I'm still blown away - absolutely mind blown - how much he's missing the point. And it's not just him - every streamer, every backer, missing the procedurally-generated forest for the high-fidelity trees.

It doesn't matter that CIG released the game in this state to the Live environment. The frame-rate doesn't matter. The patch cycle doesn't matter. This guy needs to get something through his head - he can't treat CIG like a game development company because CIG is not a game development company. They are a company creating digital assets for sale, and they're attempting to cobble together an online world in which to use those assets. The company is led by a non-game developer who is not qualified, and in fact uniquely unqualified to do his job, and the company has produced nothing, has no history, and no path forward. Holding them to the standards of a game development company is unbelievably stupid.

That's one part of it.

The next part is the assumption that CIG gives a flying gently caress about what they release to the PTU or whatnot as if it's all part of normal game testing and deployment. It isn't. Every single byte of code that lands on the PTU, or anywhere else, is done for purely optic reasons - not to do anything for backers or the people who have funded this. It's to create gaming journal headlines like "Long-Awaited 3.0 Patch Goes Live" just in time for backers to spend their Christmas money on Chris's lies again. It's so they can create a false narrative of progress (like how 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, now 3.0, are all numbers going up hence progress and not a scam at all guys). So when this guy rants and raves about the relative quality of what's released to "Test" vs. "Live" my stomach actually hurts as I realize how naive he is - going into this with the belief that the "Test" and "Live" environments are being used as if Chris understands them, how they're used, why they're used, etc. It literally hurts to listen to.

Dear Streamer: if you haven't already, please take a few hours out of your life and go watch The Truman Show. Then come to the realization that Chris Roberts is doing the exact same thing with Star Citizen. That's why there are so many videos which they are peddling as "open development." It explains why the highest possible fidelity assets were built before the engine was done. It explains why they don't patch properly or test properly. Or do anything properly. I realize the awakening to the fact that Star Citizen has devolved into a scam is a painful one, but that pain is worth it. Once you get past it, instead of banging your head against the wall trying to understand this project, you will actually be able to predict its course.

Example: soon there will be a concept ship sale. No matter the state of the game at the time, no matter the bug count, no matter the lawsuit status - there will be a ship sale. Anything and everything CIG can do to move dollars from your bank account to theirs is their #1 priority all day and all night, 365 days of the year. Stop throwing yourself against this brick wall - there's nothing on the other side.
This is awesome, and should be required reading for all Citizens at the Star Citizen Academy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scruffpuff posted:

That's one part of it.

:perfect:
I'm calling this is how Derek will quote this

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

No disrespect to the Scruffpuff momentum, well said and accurate, but is there a way to enjoy MWO with a joystick these days?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

EmesiS posted:

No disrespect to the Scruffpuff momentum, well said and accurate, but is there a way to enjoy MWO with a joystick these days?

Just use mouse+keyboard like it's designed to be played

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I'm guessing that John Titor really came back only to play a mechwarrior game with native joystick support.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

you see the joke was that instead of going for the obvious good choice of street smart, i went with the stupid choice of derek roller

Derek Roller is cool and good though. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

Scruffpuff posted:

The one glaring thing from all of these attempts at gameplay is this: even if the game worked flawlessly, it would suck beyond description. I never hear the streamers, for all their protestations of "It's in Alpha!", address this in any way. No amount of fidelity, no amount of bugfixing, and no amount of polish can hide it: there is no game here. It is a joyless romp through generic nothingness - go to this point, aim at a box, and push a button. Congratulations CIG, the best-case scenario of a 100% functioning game still can't save it from the dumpster - where it can sit next to Sandi's excised film debut.

Sorry Chris, I know while you were pretending to be a director you heard this phrase a lot, but it can't and won't apply to your game: some things just can't get "fixed in post."

Scruffpuff posted:

That's one part of it.

Goddamn! This. is. poetry.

Best post I've seen on the interwebz in years! I must admit, that I never thought of SC this way - that even if it worked 100% bugfree, it would still be a lovely hollow game with no real invention or gameplay.

Adding mining etc. still won't save this. By the time it gets out of alpha, the entire engine the game it built upon will be even more outdated than it already is.

CIG just went to 11 on the "They're hosed-o-Meter".

Thanks!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullThankfulCheetahSeemsGood
keeping people uneducated, thats star citizen in nutshell.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

The one glaring thing from all of these attempts at gameplay is this: even if the game worked flawlessly, it would suck beyond description. I never hear the streamers, for all their protestations of "It's in Alpha!", address this in any way. No amount of fidelity, no amount of bugfixing, and no amount of polish can hide it: there is no game here. It is a joyless romp through generic nothingness - go to this point, aim at a box, and push a button.

There's going to be a lot better missions. And sandworms. Don't forget the sandworms.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My favorite recent subplot is the Shitizens attempting to poke holes in the legal strategy of the law firm that just won a $500M IP lawsuit over the Oculus Rift. Yeah, I'm sure you guys know better. Buy another five space-bikes.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Nyast posted:

There's going to be a lot better missions. And sandworms. Don't forget the sandworms.

The sandworms will also have 3 jackets and a snoopy cap.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Scruffpuff posted:

The one glaring thing from all of these attempts at gameplay is this: even if the game worked flawlessly, it would suck beyond description. I never hear the streamers, for all their protestations of "It's in Alpha!", address this in any way. No amount of fidelity, no amount of bugfixing, and no amount of polish can hide it: there is no game here. It is a joyless romp through generic nothingness - go to this point, aim at a box, and push a button. Congratulations CIG, the best-case scenario of a 100% functioning game still can't save it from the dumpster - where it can sit next to Sandi's excised film debut.

Sorry Chris, I know while you were pretending to be a director you heard this phrase a lot, but it can't and won't apply to your game: some things just can't get "fixed in post."

It's interesting how much of the exact same problem applies to Elite Dangerous, with the notable exception that ED is very much playable - if anemic - and that for certain definitions of "deliver", Frontier actually delivers. Which is to say, a much less ambitious, yet fully functional and realized game is already struggling with many of the same content problems of spacegames. So not only is the above pretty logical, it's also kind of a proven fact.

SomethingJones posted:

CIG don't own any buildings, it's all rent, that money's gone. And the one thing they did own they put up for collateral for a loan and now it turns out they didn't have a license to develop it in the first place.

If you're asking me, there's an obvious thing CIG could do now that they are in (even more) trouble that would make them a bunch of money. They should implement a "funnel" type sales structure, where early backers are given the privilege of being allowed to sell jpgs, both CIG and maybe possibly their own, to so-called sub-backers. If these sub-backers (who are at a "higher" level in the "funnel") want to also get in on the action, they can sub-license the right to sell their own jpgs to sub-sub backers. Naturally, there'd be room for advancement, eventually leading to a job selling jpegs in CIG itself! This type of "several level sales promotion" will result in not only getting backers some extra cash, but with the help of family and friends they could turn this into a career as a backer!

Fake edit: The best backers, the commandoes, could even be allowed access to a special type of "refund" structure, where they can get extra jpegs in return for turning in their jpegs for something called a "full refund". The more you back in cash, the fuller your "refund" is, and you'll have more full jpegs to sell "upwards" through this "funnel".

CIG hire me please. Actually hire my LLC, and pay me upfront.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hooray, my random-rear end guess of 3 mil pulled straight outta my rear end might be a contender! :toot:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Just pay it.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What could sour the perception of this project for the remaining cultists? Is there any depths left to dredge besides them publicly running off with the money?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sillybones posted:

What could sour the perception of this project for the remaining cultists? Is there any depths left to dredge besides them publicly running off with the money?

They could make it a completely P2W-free subscription service on consoles.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Sillybones posted:

Chris could make Derek the new ship design director today and the backers would start rationalising it tomorrow.

"Derek was never really against star citizen, he was just an outside observer offering valuable critical feedback"

"Derek is an industry veteran who knows everything about designing giant buggy spaceships, he'll be a great addition to the team"

"I actually LIKE Derek's balls!"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I haven't played E:D, but I get the impression that it's just flying around in space doing missions to get better ships eventually to do harder missions with no actual endgame. And if that's a relaxing thing to do, I can understand that. It honestly sounds like a very chill game to drink or smoke some weed and just chill out for a few hours. Very low-stakes if you want it to be, more dangerous if you want.

There is no sense of advancement or achievement in Star Citizen that I can see. I keep having flashbacks to WTFosaurus trying to organize a 6v6 FPS match on that one station in the middle of nowhere with literally no stakes or rewards involved, but they can't even do that because people keep crashing to desktop or some glorious jerk smashes their ship into the station and kills half the players instantly and the game is so broken that nobody can respawn, launch a ship, and get back there in any reasonable length of time without at least half of them glitching and crashing to desktop AGAIN. All they have is what they've paid for. Where's the sense of achievement in that? Where's the game?

In conclusion, we're all better off for these idiots quarantining themselves in this farce of a game and should encourage them to keep pouring money into it so they won't pollute anything else.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sillybones posted:

It'll end up like the Zano case where there was no malice, but mismanagement.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sillybones posted:

I think the tracker and perhaps even my posting have subconsciously been led by some desire to highlight how bad the foundation and current state of the game is. Thinking that at some point backers would start demanding real progress. Yesterday I saw a thread titled "Frame rate a “major” focus for 3.1! Check latest ATV." and that's when it hit me. The thing could crash instantly for the entire playerbase and they'd be absolutely fine as long as their belief session shows still air. Some people ITT tried to play last week and of the three people that got past the loadscreen, I think one managed to get in their ship, so by my count this has basically already happened. Many backers fully admit they do not install new patches, as they prefer dream crafting with their favorite streamer over playing what actual gets delivered. I finally got it, these people are absolutely in a belief cult.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Chris could make Derek the new ship design director today and the backers would start rationalising it tomorrow.

"Derek was never really against star citizen, he was just an outside observer offering valuable critical feedback"

"Derek is an industry veteran who knows everything about designing giant buggy spaceships, he'll be a great addition to the team"

"I actually LIKE Derek's balls!"

:vince:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

I haven't played E:D, but I get the impression that it's just flying around in space doing missions to get better ships eventually to do harder missions with no actual endgame. And if that's a relaxing thing to do, I can understand that. It honestly sounds like a very chill game to drink or smoke some weed and just chill out for a few hours. Very low-stakes if you want it to be, more dangerous if you want.

There is no sense of advancement or achievement in Star Citizen that I can see. I keep having flashbacks to WTFosaurus trying to organize a 6v6 FPS match on that one station in the middle of nowhere with literally no stakes or rewards involved, but they can't even do that because people keep crashing to desktop or some glorious jerk smashes their ship into the station and kills half the players instantly and the game is so broken that nobody can respawn, launch a ship, and get back there in any reasonable length of time without at least half of them glitching and crashing to desktop AGAIN. All they have is what they've paid for. Where's the sense of achievement in that? Where's the game?

In conclusion, we're all better off for these idiots quarantining themselves in this farce of a game and should encourage them to keep pouring money into it so they won't pollute anything else.

You buy more ships from the cash shop to advance your virtual career in Star Citizen. Checkmate goonie.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Enchanted Hat posted:

I actually LIKE Derek's balls!

Fascinating

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im glad that even staunch cultists are waking up to the fact that 3.0 is rear end, now they need to realize that its not going to get better till Q2 of the year at the earliest

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im glad that even staunch cultists are waking up to the fact that 3.0 is rear end, now they need to realize that its not going to get better

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

I think the tracker and perhaps even my posting have subconsciously been led by some desire to highlight how bad the foundation and current state of the game is. Thinking that at some point backers would start demanding real progress. Yesterday I saw a thread titled "Frame rate a “major” focus for 3.1! Check latest ATV." and that's when it hit me. The thing could crash instantly for the entire playerbase and they'd be absolutely fine as long as their belief session shows still air. Some people ITT tried to play last week and of the three people that got past the loadscreen, I think one managed to get in their ship, so by my count this has basically already happened. Many backers fully admit they do not install new patches, as they prefer dream crafting with their favorite streamer over playing what actual gets delivered. I finally got it, these people are absolutely in a belief cult.

Sure, but it's an alpha. You just don't understand game development.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Virtual Captain posted:

People go to Church every week, God never shows up and fixes their problems. Scientologists never gain control of their Thetans. Prophets come and prophets go but the Messiah never shows up. If there's one thing we've shown as a species it's that we will believe in anything and continue to do so as long their is some hope that it might happen in the future. ATV is their weekly devotional practice, logging into the PTU is their praying.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sillybones posted:

No. Nothing will. There’s no word in the english language to describe their perfect blend of stupidity and delusion. Over the years, the process of Star Citizen has bled out all rational thought, all meaningful discourse, and like the slow meticulous pruning and root binding of the bonsai, so has Star Citizen painstakingly cultivated a perfectly impotent caricature of an adult human with free will.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AlmightyPants posted:

Wait a minute!

Derek, you have a dog and you haven't posted pictures of it yet? For shame!

Yeah, we do. He's a pure bred stark raving crazy British Jack Russel terrier. I think I posted pics of him before. Will see if I have any of his pics in an online album and will post it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

KM Scorchio posted:

Is this thing dead yet?

Star Citizen will never live. Cloud Imperium Games will never die

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

:vince:

Theres already been a few subjects caught in the wild on reddit admitting to that very fact. They dont play the game, they all theorycraft, and the only people who "enjoy" the current state of the game are those broken individuals who have nothing else to play, or refuse to accept reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the dude who bought that laser cannon, lost it due to a bug, then bought and lost two more... that's just crazy to me

if that happened to me in a game, that'd be the sort of thing that made me stop playing. not feed more money into it.