Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails 3rd is my favorite game in the trilogy by a lot and one of my favorite jrpgs ever probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
While it's probably my least favorite but I admit I might be in the minority on this.

Anyway I have been playing Tokyo X whatever and I actually enjoy it a lot but I wasn't expecting it to borrowing so heavy from CS. It ain't a issue but you don't see it done that way that often.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I put the other two ahead of 3rd too, though it definitely plays the best of them.

It was still by far my favourite game of 2017 though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ryuga Death posted:

The lore page for the official Zwei Arges Adventure page is great.

http://visitarges.com/d.lore.php

The entire website is very good.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished Ys VI, and yeah, I never had to use any sword other than the wind sword outside of the final boss's first phase. The last bunch of bosses boiled down to "Is the wind sword maxed out? If yes, spam magic". Considering the sheer number of times I had to use recovery items during boss fights I don't think Catastrophe mode is going to be any fun.

Oh, and the game crashed during the credits. I hope there wasn't anything interesting afterwards.

Ark of Napishtim is the weakest of the three Ys games done in that style, but still enjoyable.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Grimthwacker posted:

I finished Ys VI, and yeah, I never had to use any sword other than the wind sword outside of the final boss's first phase. The last bunch of bosses boiled down to "Is the wind sword maxed out? If yes, spam magic". Considering the sheer number of times I had to use recovery items during boss fights I don't think Catastrophe mode is going to be any fun.

Oh, and the game crashed during the credits. I hope there wasn't anything interesting afterwards.

Ark of Napishtim is the weakest of the three Ys games done in that style, but still enjoyable.

You didn't use the fire sword to fight the boss of the Limewater Cave? That must have been a chore.

Personally, I usually used the fire sword in combination with the downward stab in melee combat while using the thunder sword for magic. Wind magic was the one I used least.

And Catastrophe Mode is actually quite a bit easier than you'd think due to the perks XSeed added in. You can collect several Capla Water items right when you leave the village on Quatera Island for the first time. This allows you to get the Emel Mallet accessory the first time you enter Port Rimorge, rather than late in the game. This in turn allows you to collect more emel throughout the game and upgrade swords sooner. The other Capla Water items you get only serve as items you can sell and sell for quite a bit of cash. You either sell them early on to purchase armor you wouldn't normally be able to afford for some time, making the early game quite a bit easier, or you can save them up for when you buy out the store and the shopkeeper's brother is forced to pay you more for the items you sell. In Catastrophe Mode, money never becomes useless due to the fact you can buy attack and defense seeds in that mode and they remain relatively affordable. Because 1 or 2 levels or a few points of strength or defense often make a massive difference in Ys, Adol can become a lot stronger in Catastrophe Mode than in Normal Mode and near the end of the game, when experience scales off so much that going up a single level would take hours of grinding, getting money to buy more attack and defense seeds remains a steady process.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I got CS1 PC working, and I'm at the part where the Courageous flies over Heimdallr. It flies over Alto street... and I see Misty off to the side, waiting for a trolley.

Falcom does it again!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm finally getting around to Ys 1, it's been in my library forever. I had such a hard time getting into the bump system; but the music kept me going, and I'm cruising now. The music is both good, and tunes I remember from the later Ys games I've already played - I love that. And while I still don't love the bump system, I realized, because of it, this is the first game, I think, where I've chosen a Shield Ring over a Power Ring. So that's interesting at least.

I'm glad I've played Origins, I actually like it when you start stories midway, and fill in the back-story later.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys 2 is a way better game than ys 1 because with the introduction of fireball magic, it finds a better dynamic with its combat than just bumping into everything.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Colonel posted:

ys 2 is a way better game than ys 1 because with the introduction of fireball magic, it finds a better dynamic with its combat than just bumping into everything.

Good to hear. I'm enjoying this one, so that bodes well.

Based on my gear and Notes, this looks like a short lil' game - which I count as a plus in a non-sarcastic way. I felt that way about Bastion, which I think is just starting to become tedious when it ends (which I mean as a compliment, but it's usually seen as a criticism).

EDIT: Holy moly, the Darm Tower music is even more righteous in this than in Origin

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys I is nice & short, and yet Darm Tower is still like twice as long as it needed to be.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Holy poo poo that final boss. I was losing badly to him over and over and over, I started to think something was wrong. Whenever I ran to the right or the downward, it would be at half speed. So slow, that even if I was running straight as fast as I could go, holes would open under me and kill me. I didn't see any wind or anything blowing to the upper left.

I went into the configuration and change the refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz. Not only did I get full speed back when running down or to the right, but the floor tiles fell much more slowly, and the boss was slower! I beat the fucker in 2 tries then. I had googled it because it was so frustrating at first, and didn't see anything about refresh rate affecting that. Man that was an ordeal.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I've had my eyes on YS VIII but got scared away from buying the game when I heard about the shoddy translation. Did anyone play it and what's your opinion regarding it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Lavender posted:

Holy poo poo that final boss. I was losing badly to him over and over and over, I started to think something was wrong. Whenever I ran to the right or the downward, it would be at half speed. So slow, that even if I was running straight as fast as I could go, holes would open under me and kill me. I didn't see any wind or anything blowing to the upper left.

I went into the configuration and change the refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz. Not only did I get full speed back when running down or to the right, but the floor tiles fell much more slowly, and the boss was slower! I beat the fucker in 2 tries then. I had googled it because it was so frustrating at first, and didn't see anything about refresh rate affecting that. Man that was an ordeal.

Yes 144hz really really breaks that boss. I had the same thing happen to me.

edit: Also I've gone back to Ys 2. I'm in the Shrine of Solomon about to go into the Subterranean Sewers. I've got like 25% of the game left at most, right? Kinda odd of me to get that far then stop playing it for a year but that's what happened.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're at the end but that area is also really long and confusing to navigate.

loving rad music tho

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah I did get lost and went in circles a few times in each area trying to find the pass and sacred cup.

Rad music helped with the wandering around and then I found that room with that enemy that was like lvl 42 and did some grinding.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sylphosaurus posted:

I've had my eyes on YS VIII but got scared away from buying the game when I heard about the shoddy translation. Did anyone play it and what's your opinion regarding it?

The translation fix is out the 30th. The game itself is great though so please look forward to that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's the best version of the party-based style of Ys gameplay, but the translation is pretty dire. The fix isn't far off though!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I didn't realize that the translation patch was that close. Guess that I'll soon be very busy with both Monster Hunter: World and YS VIII.

Thanks for the headsup, by the way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's worth mentioning that even with the bad loc it was one of the best games last year. Ys 8 is an amazing game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I didn't realize that the translation patch was that close. Guess that I'll soon be very busy with both Monster Hunter: World and YS VIII.

Thanks for the headsup, by the way.

Aw hell I'm not moving onto cold steel soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrightWing posted:

Aw hell I'm not moving onto cold steel soon.

I'm kind of jealous, since you'll get to play both games on PC.

I'm REALLY hoping we get CS3 on PC now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Monster World PC isn't until the fall though.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
is it a bad decision to play the first cold steel game before the 3rd if I'm a little burnt out on the general Sky aesthetic'combat? Or would the shift to straightforward dungeon crawler be enough to cleanse my palate?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Charlie Bobson posted:

is it a bad decision to play the first cold steel game before the 3rd if I'm a little burnt out on the general Sky aesthetic'combat? Or would the shift to straightforward dungeon crawler be enough to cleanse my palate?

I would definitely try the 3rd first. Especially since the dungeon crawler structure improves the pacing greatly imo.
It also provides a ton of context for a lot of stuff going on in CS1&2.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Charlie Bobson posted:

I think that would be fine, most of us ended up playing both Cold Steel games before 3rd simply because that's the order XSeed released them.

Release order is better overall, because parts of 3rd provide some very good context and will enhance your Cold Steel experience, but it's not necessary by any stretch.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oh god, going from cold steel 1’s ending to the Olivier and meuller door in 3rd :arzy:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Billzasilver posted:

Oh god, going from cold steel 1’s ending to the Olivier and meuller door in 3rd :arzy:

Yeah, I actually enjoyed that order. CS1's story stands on its own, and getting little bits of context for The 3rd afterward was fun for me - I didn't feel like that context would've helped my CS1 experience anymore ahead of time.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm kind of jealous, since you'll get to play both games on PC.

I'm REALLY hoping we get CS3 on PC now.

I promised the boyfriend I'd get through DR v3 first so we can talk about it, and I was planning on Ys Origin too just to help cleanse the pallet of turn based jrpgs a bit more and kill time cause CS 2 still isn't out on PC.

Anyway aren't they doing some ps4 re releases of CS? Those have anything cool added or are they just basically ports of the pc version?

I'm assuming that Osborne fellow is super bad news in CS judging by how that door in 3rd treated him. Though I do wonder if Olivier has a chance against him, he seemed to have a ruthless streak underneath.

Also, knowing the next arc released is Crossbell made a lot of the set up in 3rd make sense and I'm bummed I can't properly move onto that, but the Ebronia stuff super interests me too, so. Maybe I should work some magic so I can brag about playing the whole series in release order.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BrightWing posted:

Anyway aren't they doing some ps4 re releases of CS? Those have anything cool added or are they just basically ports of the pc version?
Falcom is doing a PS4 port of CS 1/2 so that Japan has all four games on the same console and they're backporting the extra features XSeed added to the PC version. No word on whether we're getting them.

quote:

I'm assuming that Osborne fellow is super bad news in CS judging by how that door in 3rd treated him. Though I do wonder if Olivier has a chance against him, he seemed to have a ruthless streak underneath.
Osbourne and Olivier's chess match is in the background of CS 1/2, so you'll see some of that.

quote:

Also, knowing the next arc released is Crossbell made a lot of the set up in 3rd make sense and I'm bummed I can't properly move onto that, but the Ebronia stuff super interests me too, so. Maybe I should work some magic so I can brag about playing the whole series in release order.
I haven't played the Crossbell games, but knowing what I know, I'm really glad I ended up playing Cold Steel 1/2 first.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Get ready for Calvard to be influenced by Undertale

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

Falcom is doing a PS4 port of CS 1/2 so that Japan has all four games on the same console and they're backporting the extra features XSeed added to the PC version. No word on whether we're getting them.

Well, Turbo Mode and 60 FPS are in the Japanese PS4 version. The 30% additional voice acting almost certainly isn't and I'm not sure about some of the wonkier settings Durante added to the PC version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just started playing Cold Steel for the first time. Is normal too easy? Can you change the difficulty later? Most of what I've done in the first hour is cutscenes so I don't mind restarting if I need to but I guess I should check now rather than at hour 15

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

If you like the party system Ys games VIII is a top notch game and you can just safely skip all the dialogue/cutscenes anyway because who cares. Adol falls off a boat, go kill stuff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I just started playing Cold Steel for the first time. Is normal too easy? Can you change the difficulty later? Most of what I've done in the first hour is cutscenes so I don't mind restarting if I need to but I guess I should check now rather than at hour 15

Normal is pretty easy in the first Cold Steel, and you can't change it later.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In Training posted:

Restart on Hard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started over on Hard. Thanks all

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The first handful of fights drag a bit on Hard but yeah I definitely found it more enjoyable overall, if you engage with them at all the battle mechanics are so broken that the extra stats on enemies are appreciated to keep the game from being boring on the gameplay side.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zaggitz posted:

The translation fix is out the 30th. The game itself is great though so please look forward to that.

they better not get rid of archaeozoic big hole

they can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The first handful of fights drag a bit on Hard but yeah I definitely found it more enjoyable overall, if you engage with them at all the battle mechanics are so broken that the extra stats on enemies are appreciated to keep the game from being boring on the gameplay side.

I wanted to double check because when I played Trails on the Sky on normal it was sooooo easy for how long fights took that it got boring after a while.