Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Of course, our upgrade sprue comes with a chainsword not a power sword. If we actually want to put the power sword on (and I can't really see any reason not to) it requires either bits ordering or hoping you have spares in your box (which someone primarily playing primaris won't).

Put the sword in a sheath, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Who had the kitbashed Calgar made from the Gravis captain again? I need to see it.

Possibly mine?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So listening to the bad cast, they mentioned that Hellblasters work best with the assault configuration of the gun. Does this also apply to Dark Angels Hellblasters, or would heavy plasma incinerators be better on a Dark Angels gunline army?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am playing in escalation league starting at my FLGS in February, so I was wondering if this list was a reasonable starting point. I am mainly using my 30k models, so I don't plan on going full Sonic Blasters until higher points levels.

Heretic Astartes - Emperor's Children
Patrol Detachment 500 points

Exalted Champion
- Murder Sword
- Warlord Trait - Exalted Champion

Noise Marines x9
- Boltguns
- Champion with Lightning Claw and Doom Siren

Chaos Cultists x10
-Flamer x1

Warp Talons x5

Chaos Rhino
- Havoc Launcher, Combi Bolter

496 Points

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

So listening to the bad cast, they mentioned that Hellblasters work best with the assault configuration of the gun. Does this also apply to Dark Angels Hellblasters, or would heavy plasma incinerators be better on a Dark Angels gunline army?

Nope.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

While I am 1000% on the Assault Plasma Incinerator train to the own zone, the benefit of a 36" range to a Dark Angels gunline is a much more significant advantage than the same thing to a (for example) Blood Angels mobile infantry force.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

While I am 1000% on the Assault Plasma Incinerator train to the own zone, the benefit of a 36" range to a Dark Angels gunline is a much more significant advantage than the same thing to a (for example) Blood Angels mobile infantry force.

Oh absolutely. I am running raw numbers here, with no consideration for range. The numbers can shift significantly if you include missed rounds of shooting.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

From the time I saw the doomsday device objective, my mind would always see something I wish it hadn’t.

I decided to paint the objective as I saw it, even though it was mentally painful to do so.

And for that, I’m sorry.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

From the time I saw the doomsday device objective, my mind would always see something I wish it hadn’t.

I decided to paint the objective as I saw it, even though it was mentally painful to do so.

And for that, I’m sorry.

:frogout:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

OhDearGodNo posted:

And for that, I’m sorry.

Username/post :perfect:

Needs impact font transfers saying something like I HATE MONDAYS LOL. You know, a real JoAnne Fabrics Catsweater Mom joke.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

What are your assumptions in the sheet? Do heavy weapons get a -1 to hit?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

What are your assumptions in the sheet? Do heavy weapons get a -1 to hit?

I assume no penalties to shooting. Basically it's a strict probability; the product of the number of attacks, probability to hit, probability to wound, probability of failing a save, and damage.

EDIT: It does not include the probability to hit, as I do those calculations elsewhere. But it doesn't change anything since the probability is the same.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 15, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Started an escalation league today, my Imperial Fists got stomped in an relic mission by Khorne Berserkers. Oh well, it was fun to get back into the game after about oh, I dunno, 14 years away.

Fielded a 500 point force of mostly tactical marines, and this landspeeder I got for free. Also snagged some pre-painted (really well, from the photos) terminators on ebay for about 6 bucks a model.

Here's one of my tactical marines and the landspeeder, which actually did pretty well today.

They still need work and touching up, but they'll suffice for now.

Three weeks till 750 points, I've got some scouts and terminators coming, probably gonna ditch the speeder until I get into a larger game, maybe slap some typhoon missiles on it when vehicles start being more common. Still getting the feel for what works right.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those aren't a bad start, but in the future make sure to thin your paints a bit. Also I think a wash would instantly improve them a whole lot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

The Intercessor thing is even more bizarre, because now BA/DA can take power swords or chainswords on their sergeants, but Codex can only take power swords, because their model range still doesn't technically have access to a Primaris model with a chainsword. The longer it goes on the more ridiculous the "only include models actually sold" policy seems.

Even sillier, my wolves still have to take chainswords because the index didn't give them the frost sword power equivalents their codes will.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Hustlin Floh posted:

Those aren't a bad start, but in the future make sure to thin your paints a bit. Also I think a wash would instantly improve them a whole lot.

Yeah, I've been doing that, but obviously not enough. It's just when I thin them a bit more, I feel like I can't get the brightness I'm looking for. Plenty more models to paint in order to get it right, I suppose.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah, I've been doing that, but obviously not enough. It's just when I thin them a bit more, I feel like I can't get the brightness I'm looking for. Plenty more models to paint in order to get it right, I suppose.

Just keep working at it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you get better.

(Then you'll start getting ideas about stripping your early stuff and starting over, only to find that your newly repainted stuff looks even better than the improved work that led you to start the whole process)

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I believe the Primaris side is just shy of 1k, like I think 930 or so?

Marines are really cost efficient between their point values and being featured in every editions big box. It's why Marines are so many peoples first army.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was stupid giving you the power would have been better as it would take into account wargear. And power more or less comes to 1 power to 20 points. (With exceptions.)

K power value is 37, which coverts to around 740 give or take.

Thanks for this. I ordered the primaris off ebay, so now I have to figure out what goes with them best. I'm still interested in genestealers, but I think I need to make sure I like the hobby enough before dropping so much cash.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you aren't looking for a very precise shade of yellow, Iyanden Darksun is an excellent choice. Covers very well even if diluted, and has a very rich and not cartoony appearance.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Harkano posted:

Possibly mine?

Yeah, looks nice, unfortunately I have no clue how to properly green stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

To be honest, with marines the easiest way to paint them is airbrush or rattlecan your base coat, especially with devil-colors like yellow. Then paint the details over that.

GW has an Averland Sunset spray. Then you can hit the recesses with a wash and pick out your details.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Custodes HQ preview is up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
drat I've admittedly been clowning on the Custodians but a lot of their stuff is looking more and more hype, and I say this as a Xenos player.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, looks nice, unfortunately I have no clue how to properly green stuff.

Practice, YouTube, and plenty of water.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deified Data posted:

drat I've admittedly been clowning on the Custodians but a lot of their stuff is looking more and more hype, and I say this as a Xenos player.

Plus they should be accessible and easy to paint.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did we ever nail down what the third Custodes color was? Gold, black, and...?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Reading Valoris' Moment Shackle ability, does it allow him to make just one additional attack or actually fight again with all his attacks like Khorne Berzerkers? Would the attacks also keep the S10 AP -3 D3 profile as it's on the charge only?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Deified Data posted:

Did we ever nail down what the third Custodes color was? Gold, black, and...?

I am hoping silver. I do a good silver.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Reading Valoris' Moment Shackle ability, does it allow him to make just one additional attack or actually fight again with all his attacks like Khorne Berzerkers? Would the attacks also keep the S10 AP -3 D3 profile as it's on the charge only?

I read it as he gets his full attacks but probably loses any bonus he gets from having charged. I'm sure a FAQ will helpfully inform us.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I read it as he gets his full attacks but probably loses any bonus he gets from having charged. I'm sure a FAQ will helpfully inform us.

I read that rule as a beserker-style full second round of attacking. For the "fights again" stuff you generally get your bonus attacks etc. I don't see why this would be any different.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

The wording on the axe will probably be "on a turn in which he has charged" or "for the duration of the fight phase if it charged in the preceding charge phase". If that's the case, then he'd retain that charge bonus when fighting again since it's the same turn/fight phase.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

The models look great, and the rules will probably be fine. The problem with them is that they got released now ahead of existing armies which need the help; if they'd come out as a new book in July or so they'd be getting a 100% positive reception.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

1) He gets a full round, same as Berzerkers.
2) Unknowable at this stage, depends on the wording. My guess is that he gets the profile because the wording will be "in a turn in which Valoris charged..." and that will still be true. It'd be the same wording as Blood Angels and Red Thirst, for example.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

The wording on the axe will probably be "on a turn in which he has charged" or "for the duration of the fight phase if it charged in the preceding charge phase". If that's the case, then he'd retain that charge bonus when fighting again since it's the same turn/fight phase.

Yeah, this sort of wording would clear it right up.

Corrode posted:

The models look great, and the rules will probably be fine. The problem with them is that they got released now ahead of existing armies which need the help; if they'd come out as a new book in July or so they'd be getting a 100% positive reception.

Absolutely. Now was not the time, optics-wise.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Loving this bit:

"Every upcoming Adeptus Custodes kit has been cunningly designed so you can also use it to build an HQ option armed with the same wargear as his brethren. This means you’ll be able to take Shield-Captains in inviolate Allarus Terminator armour or mount them on fast-moving Dawneagle jetbikes."

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
custode releases as far as the eye can see

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Corrode posted:

1) He gets a full round, same as Berzerkers.
2) Unknowable at this stage, depends on the wording. My guess is that he gets the profile because the wording will be "in a turn in which Valoris charged..." and that will still be true. It'd be the same wording as Blood Angels and Red Thirst, for example.

That makes sense, the community post read like it was another full round of fighting so that's good, just one extra attack would be really disappointing compared to healing D3 wounds or regaining D3 CP. Here's hoping Custodes gets some nice vehicles/long ranged options revealed later this week.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, this sort of wording would clear it right up.
Yeah, those are the wording on Red Thirst and Black Rage, so they've already figured out how to write that effect. I can't see them changing it unless they deliberately don't want him to have that bonus in his second round of fighting

quote:

Absolutely. Now was not the time, optics-wise.
I'm not sure I agree. While the xeno codexes need to get released to get the armies up to par with everything else, the Custodes had already been released in a nearly unusable state, plus there were people who had bought the 30k custodes expecting them to be usable in 40k. I think they definitely at least needed the FW index even if not this entire release because it's a bit of a dick move to have an army that's unplayable because it doesn't have any HQ choices at all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Custodes look neat but I'm not gonna be picking them up, more likely than not. Marines are elite enough for me and my imprecise, garbagey playstyle. Real curious to see how big those jetbikes are next to regular models though.

We also just finished recording and Badcast 24 is gonna be so fuckin good you guys

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Yeah, those are the wording on Red Thirst and Black Rage, so they've already figured out how to write that effect. I can't see them changing it unless they deliberately don't want him to have that bonus in his second round of fighting

I'm not sure I agree. While the xeno codexes need to get released to get the armies up to par with everything else, the Custodes had already been released in a nearly unusable state, plus there were people who had bought the 30k custodes expecting them to be usable in 40k. I think they definitely at least needed the FW index even if not this entire release because it's a bit of a dick move to have an army that's unplayable because it doesn't have any HQ choices at all.

Was there a single person who had an honest expectation of Custodes being usable as a standalone faction in this edition? They were completely usable as bolt-ons in Imperial soup, and I'm not convinced that the population of people who were crying out for a full Custodes army was more important to serve than the population of xenos players who'd like to get a book sometime in between the power armour releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

For some of us, the issue is that custodes just got a year of release after release for 30k. Even including some units that weren't in Inferno like their flyer or the telemon dreadnought. It's gotten to the point where they're practically a joke among the 30k hams here. To be fair to GW, they've gone for a different style for their terminators (FW's are better) and jetbikes (FW's are worse), but they're still custodes. :geno:

I could not be less hyped about this release. I would have much rather seen the remaining xenos books pumped out, but I understand GW wanting to start off the year with a "new" army instead. I would have preferred something non-Imperial, but, hey, here we are.