Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Is D just going through the main quest yet again? Is it worth it?

e: Ah, chapter select.

el oso fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, there's no added content if you go back through it. You can just go straight to the final fight again, but I went through the whole chapter because I think it's better with a bit of buildup.

E: OH! But I'd recommend you have everything you want done in terms of side quests and weapon upgrades before doing it again

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

What a brilliant game. The themes, the big moments, the combat, the music will stay with me for a long time.

At the end of E, I chose to delete my data because it felt right, and then being able to choose my message to inspire the others who needed help (like I needed it) to finish that bullet hell was so rewarding.

I know I'll go through this game all over someday and I hope that what I left behind helps somebody else, which is just what I think I'm supposed to feel. Bravo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I knew in advance that the final ending would involve deleting your save in some fashion; I didn't know it would be optional and that the game would actively try and talk me out of it. The ending put me in this weird mood where it just felt right to delete, even though there was so much I hadn't done and any benefit from doing it was purely hypothetical. That's what an open ending is all about, after all. I'll probably start the game over before the year is out, and I can't help but wonder if the magic will still be there the second time around. Even if it isn't, there's still some stuff I'll appreciate more the second time around

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Deleting the save seemed totally against the whole point of ending E. Your pods just risked their lives to ensure a new world could be made, and deleting it just puts another soldier out there to fight a never ending war against the creators of the game. Doing so would literally just put everything back at square 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pods can't die. They do the killing!!!!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Ending E is Ending Nominal Charity Donation. In the end it’s very unlikely to make an impact but you got your name on a list and can feel a bit fuzzy about doing something good. I can understand not liking it but at least as a concept it’s kinda neat. I’d actually love it if the idea of giving benefit to other players you never get to meet with no personal advantage as a part of asymmetric online play was expanded in a future Taro game

Nina fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 15, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm interested in something that rarely comes up when discussing the ending. The prevailing attitude seems to be that the right thing to do is to delete your save right when you get there. I've seen the sentiment expressed many times that to do otherwise is a bit selfish as you are letting down those who need your help.

But what about the other one in the game who needs your help? It's very unlikely that most people will have completed the Emil quest by the time they get ending E. When I was given the option to delete my save, my immediate thought was that I couldn't yet, because I couldn't abandon Emil. Is his plight worth less than other players? You could make the argument that it is because he isn't "real" and they are, but I think that falls apart because of you are invested enough in the themes of the game to delete your save, surely you don't feel that games are silly little things.

To me at least it mattered more to help a tangible character that I cared about regain his memories and find peace. I still went back to delete my save later, but I had to give up the in the moment impact. Does Emil enter into other people's thoughts either in the moment or when discussing the ending?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
To me the right choice is to decline the first time, go back to wrap up what you didn't finish and then comply. Since you've done everything that's the point when you can afford to give up your game data to someone who might need it, but only at the point when you feel like you don't need it anymore. Emil was the big driving factor to why I felt no incentive to give up my save the first time, after all I hadn't finished the storyline of the character most dearest to me in the game, even if it's based on how much I loved him in the original game all those years back

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nina posted:

To me the right choice is to decline the first time, go back to wrap up what you didn't finish and then comply. Since you've done everything that's the point when you can afford to give up your game data to someone who might need it, but only at the point when you feel like you don't need it anymore. Emil was the big driving factor to why I felt no incentive to give up my save the first time, after all I hadn't finished the storyline of the character most dearest to me in the game, even if it's based on how much I loved him in the original game all those years back

Arguably though that does more harm than good. Unless I missed something the only way to delete your save data after the first opportunity is to do Ending E again, and it seems the conceit is that people need to continue to donate their saves because each time you take a hit after accepting the help a donated save is deleted forever. So if you do Ending E a second time and take more than one hit after accepting the help, more saves have been destroyed than the one save you'll donate at the end. Even one hit breaks you even, so the only way you'd be helping your fellow players is if you can do Ending E without taking a single hit post-help.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think at that point you're taking the idea too far because we know it doesn't actually work that way. In fiction the characters can't actually jump through time so everything you do is done by them the first time regardless of when you get to it. It's not as though you playing ending E twice makes the events happen twice so there's no reason to look at it as taking more help out of the pool.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly I think it weakens the concept that they do the whole "x's data was destroyed" thing. I know it makes sense in terms of what you're seeing, that's the person helping you and then they're destroyed and another person comes in to help in their stead, but we all know that in reality that person's name is being used multiple times even if their data is "destroyed" like that, which makes the whole thing lose power. It would be powerful enough just to have the people come in to help and to know that when you sacrifice your save game you're adding yourself to the pool of people who can help, without the game pretending that that help is finite. Or maybe if it was like "some of x's data was destroyed"? Or some of their "memories", basically anything which isn't pretending that one person can only help until they get hit once.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I mean, they have to be used more than once, or else the game will be unbeatable in a couple of years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I mean, they have to be used more than once, or else the game will be unbeatable in a couple of years.

Would've happened already even.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wonder what'll happen when they turn the servers off. Maybe they'll patch in simulated saves first

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Organza Quiz posted:

Honestly I think it weakens the concept that they do the whole "x's data was destroyed" thing. I know it makes sense in terms of what you're seeing, that's the person helping you and then they're destroyed and another person comes in to help in their stead, but we all know that in reality that person's name is being used multiple times even if their data is "destroyed" like that, which makes the whole thing lose power. It would be powerful enough just to have the people come in to help and to know that when you sacrifice your save game you're adding yourself to the pool of people who can help, without the game pretending that that help is finite. Or maybe if it was like "some of x's data was destroyed"? Or some of their "memories", basically anything which isn't pretending that one person can only help until they get hit once.

To be fair, their data was destroyed, but that doesn't mean that has anything to do with what's happening on screen.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finished the game and got a fancy title screen for my troubles

Great game. Maybe Ill try hard mode next?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

One thing I can't really parse about the story is what happens with 9S at the end of A/B.

He ends up being in control of all of the machines around him (and maybe all of them?) but then when you get into C it's like that didn't happen and he's just back in an android body again. I can't remember if they even mentioned the whole machine consciousness thing with him again - what was up with all that?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

his consciousness got saved in the machine network, presumably in such a way that it wasn't affected. Once he properly booted back up in that big machine, I presume he got uploaded to the Bunker and put in a proper 9S body.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Ultimately, the biggest question is: auto-mah-tah or ahh-tom-oh-tah?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

el oso posted:

Ultimately, the biggest question is: auto-mah-tah or ahh-tom-oh-tah?

The game says the former at the very end, but I insist that the latter is correct :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY&t=14s

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Begemot posted:

The game says the former at the very end, but I insist that the latter is correct :colbert:

Well you don't call them auto-matons, so it should be the latter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Begemot posted:

You and me both. :colbert: :hfive:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finished the game last night and been thinking about the story since then.

The story is insane, but the characters are so well done that I couldnt take my eyes off the screen with all the twists and turns

And the pay off is a very satisfying conclusion

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

Well you don't call them auto-matons, so it should be the latter.

Yeah but "automatic".

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Piano streamer Lara6683 learns songs (mostly video game stuff) on the spot. I asked her to learn Weight of the World. It came out pretty well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQKLbEasvo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Regy Rusty posted:

I think at that point you're taking the idea too far because we know it doesn't actually work that way. In fiction the characters can't actually jump through time so everything you do is done by them the first time regardless of when you get to it. It's not as though you playing ending E twice makes the events happen twice so there's no reason to look at it as taking more help out of the pool.

No I mean literally that's how it--

Organza Quiz posted:

Organza Quiz posted:

but we all know

Well this is embarrassing

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 17, 2018

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Reveilled posted:

No I mean literally that's how it--

Well this is embarrassing

That's okay, since life is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

Piano streamer Lara6683 learns songs (mostly video game stuff) on the spot. I asked her to learn Weight of the World. It came out pretty well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZQKLbEasvo

I agree! Thanks for sharing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/sqex_cafe/status/953595607079202817

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Boy, did I misread that @...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought 2B was literally fridged for a moment.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Just finished Ending E, and I chose not to delete, pretty much entirely out of a selfish interest in keeping the save data I labored to complete. I kind of regret it, but at the same time I know I can't just go back and make the right decision, so I'm kind of stuck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Actually you can do whatever you want in the video game

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
When I did ending E I just didn't buy that my save data would really be deleted, so I started mashing yes because it was the moral decision.

It then occurred to me that something similar had happened to me in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door and I briefly wondered if the situation was the same.

Nah I said to myself and merrily deleted my save game having missed almost all the endgame content.

I sometimes wonder if I'd make the same decision if I actually bought that the stakes were real.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just played through the whole game again after deleting. It's a good game.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

This is a good game and I'm kind of sad that I finished it. It leaves me wanting more but I'm guessing there's not going to ever be a direct continuation (for a variety of reasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I totally would double dip on Nier for Switch. Itll be nice not being tempted to back up my saves.