Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Studio NUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
'AdvancedAnalysis' got condensed to 'AdvancedAnal' on my phone.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
You folks are alright at times.
I completely missed Houseki No Kuni and hadn't even heard about it, so thanks for the yearly recommendation.
Keep having decent taste and see you next year.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Tamako Love Story

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Disappointed pripri missed the top ten but really all of the top 15 were pretty good choices

I'm surprised little witch academia did as good as it did considering how lukewarm a lot of folk seemed on it

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 15, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lwa is one of the best shows of 2017 and almost got my top spot before houseki aired

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I liked it a lot, but didn't finish it, so I didn't put it on my list.

Gotta go back and watch it at some point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I didn't watch anything in the top ten. And I'd still consider 2017 the strongest year for anime I can remember. Just a lot of really solid shows came out last year

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homura and Sickle posted:

I'm surprised little witch academia did as good as it did considering how lukewarm a lot of folk seemed on it
To be fair, Netflix decision to not simulcast it probably contributed to said lukewarm response.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol I didn't watch anything in the top ten. And I'd still consider 2017 the strongest year for anime I can remember. Just a lot of really solid shows came out last year

And the momentum seems to be carrying into 2018. This season seems pretty strong already.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

To be fair, Netflix decision to not simulcast it probably contributed to said lukewarm response.

90% of the disappointment around early lwa on sa was people watching early episodes week by week and deeming it mediocre

which, i guess i can understand not loving some of the first four episodes, but then literally everything after that is loving incredible so

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I think ova 2 left a stale taste for a lot of people on how Akko had been handled and they thought the early eps were reprising that feeling. Well, basically they thought Akko was a brat... and they’re wrong!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
akko loving rules and is one of the funniest anime protags ever

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
LWA was pretty good at the start, then it had a run of middling eps, but from the love bee ep on it was pretty great

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kinda disagree with this. I see your point, there were a lot of very good shows. On the other hand, the show that I considered to be the standout best of the year (Rakugo2) was in my, and most others whose replies I saw, opinion strictly inferior to its predecessor. I feel the same way about Eccentric Family 2, the second highest-ranked show on my list.

I'm not going to make a stupid comment suggesting that "If they made more low-effort trash instead of very solid shows we could see more masterpieces", nor am I going to claim that one good show and a lot of dross is preferable in any way to what we got...but in 5 years time, I can see myself looking back at, say, 2015 (Death Parade, Saekano, Durarara2, Oregairu2, Soma1, Punch Line, Shimoneta, Gakkougurashi, Gatchaman Insight, Noragami2, Owarimonogatari1) more nostalgically than I can 2017.

We'll see how I feel about 2017 in 2020, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not going to make a stupid comment suggesting that "If they made more low-effort trash instead of very solid shows we could see more masterpieces", nor am I going to claim that one good show and a lot of dross is preferable in any way to what we got...but in 5 years time, I can see myself looking back at, say, 2015 (Death Parade, Saekano, Durarara2, Oregairu2, Soma1, Punch Line, Shimoneta, Gakkougurashi, Gatchaman Insight, Noragami2, Owarimonogatari1) more nostalgically than I can 2017.
All those shows were good, but no mention of One Punch Man? :raise:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I won't disparage anyone who liked LWA but it was very much not my thing. I forget how many episodes I got before dropping it but it was like a good 8 or so.

The stuck up rival girl would have made for a better MC, IMO.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Fwiw i did like lwa quite a bit but there were some low key masterpieces this year and some great, slightly flawed shows that resonated with me a lot more than lwa. That said the episode where akko goes into sucy's psyche is one of my favorite episodes of anime ever

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kytrarewn posted:

On the other hand, the show that I considered to be the standout best of the year (Rakugo2) was in my, and most others whose replies I saw, opinion strictly inferior to its predecessor.

While I personally enjoyed s1 more and thought it was better overall, the sentiment among most adtrw posters and that I've seen elsewhere was that s2 was stronger. :confused:

Also I think that there's something to be said about the quantity of really, really good shows that made so many top lists, and so close to tying each other too, in comparison to previous years

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

All those shows were good, but no mention of One Punch Man? :raise:

Not sure what you are talking about here, unless you meant Shirobako

But yes, both are good years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Rakugo S2 more than S1 because as great as Yakumo's backstory was in S1, it's his relationship with Yotaro that solidified the story as a whole to me. Things came together in a way in S2 that elevated the way I would retrospectively look back on the events in S1, either due to new revelations or just things being re-contextualized.

As an aside I'm fairly confident that if I could vote again I'd vote Land of Lustrous in at #3 in my list and knock Kobayashi off. Not that it would have changed the order for the thread's totals in the end I suppose all that much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

While I personally enjoyed s1 more and thought it was better overall, the sentiment among most adtrw posters and that I've seen elsewhere was that s2 was stronger. :confused:

Also I think that there's something to be said about the quantity of really, really good shows that made so many top lists, and so close to tying each other too, in comparison to previous years
In my very arrogant opinion, Rakugo as a whole (meaning both seasons) DESTROYS every other show from this year and last year. Like, it's not even funny. The "period drama" feel it has going on is just... so distinctly timeless; like yeah, it's the story of a time in Japan that's come and gone, but it's a story that you could transpose to any generation and it'd work. Land of the Lustrous has something like that going on, but its themes are an entirely different itch to scratch.

Agronox posted:

Not sure what you are talking about here, unless you meant Shirobako
I really liked Shirobako, but not as much as OPM. :shrug:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
one punch man is anime from a sewer when compared to shirobako imo

and yeah seeing Little Witch Academia tied with my personal favorite anime of the year is wild to me, since I saw a lot of dissapointment around it for a while, glad it apparently really came around tho. I feel that itself shows how strong 2017 was, that something I didn't see people talk about after the first month is as popular as the show I'll never shut up about, it rules

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Agreed. I hold Rakugo as a whole as one of the top ten best shows of all time. Same with Made in Abyss. Houseki No Kuni finally did 3DCG not only right, but insanely well. Guru Guru and Konosuba S2 are two of the best comedies in years. MHA is one of the best shounen in years (that don't contain JoJo). Tsuki ga Kirei and MMO Junkie are some of the best romance shows in years. The list goes on.

If you don't think 2017 was a seminal year you are objectively wrong.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

one punch man is anime from a sewer when compared to shirobako imo
Well, it looks like somebody is cruisin' for a bruisin'! :toughguy:

It's fine. I respect your opinion, even if I think that Sakura Quest did the "Cute Girls Work Adult Jobs" angle better, while out of the whole OG shows P.A. Works has done, I still have the fondest memories of Hanasaku Iroha :3:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the seemingly average reception to LWA on the forums was due to people cooling on Trigger/Kill La Kill here, and how long it took to become a series. Both of these opinions are extremely Something Awful though, both series are still incredibly popular in pretty much every other internet anime community I've seen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kill la kill is better than kiznaiver

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Something awful has taste op

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Something awful has taste op

casting my vote for The Devil is a Part-Timer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

casting my vote for The Devil is a Part-Timer

This is NOT the devil is a part timer thread. This conversation must end

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mycot posted:

I think the seemingly average reception to LWA on the forums was due to people cooling on Trigger/Kill La Kill here, and how long it took to become a series. Both of these opinions are extremely Something Awful though, both series are still incredibly popular in pretty much every other internet anime community I've seen.

Speaking personally, I loved LWA. It was merely a very good anime in a season full of great anime. When working on my top 5, it kept shuffling in and out of the #5 slot, along with Anime-Gataris.

I think LWA has a little bit of an identity crisis. It doesn't know whether it wants to be Ghibli Harry Potter or an Extremely Trigger Metaphor for the Anime Industry. I know a lot of people who liked one or the other half more than the other.

This is in contrast to other Trigger works, which pretty much establish their tone within the first episode and then the rest of the show is just pushing the gas as hard as they can. I think that can be exhausting for some people but I love it, personally.

Nate RFB posted:

The stuck up rival girl would have made for a better MC, IMO.

I disagree, but it was a fantastic Yoko Hikasa performance.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Metadata:
- 116 voters, 537 votes
- 69 of the 205 different series got Top5 votes

:siren: The Best Anime of 2017: :siren:
1. Land of the Lustrous - 42

Woooo yea ok we all saw that from a mile away, let's move on to the more interesting results:

The Gauntlet:
2. KonoSuba 2 - 32
T-3. March Comes In Like A Lion S1 - 28
T-3. Little Witch Academia - 28
T-5. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department - 27
T-5. Made in Abyss - 27
7. Girls' Last Tour - 26

What a bloodbath! But the KonoSuba faithful came through with a late push that cemented them in 2nd place. All of these places shifted through the last day of voting.

The Special Mention:
8. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - 24

Just a little less voting oomph than the group above, but a solid showing for this second season.

Just Made the Cut:
9. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - 22
10. My Hero Academia Season 2 - 21

The Snubs:
11. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - 20
12. Princess Principal - 19
13. Kemono Friends - 18

This entire section of results also flip-flopped until the end, what a great year for anime.

In other words:

More Data:
As always, spreadsheet is open to viewing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8yxmgercB2wTKG09jE04-121Irs8ByuCgv8bMR3QQ0

- Full list of results are on the FinalScores sheet along with other metrics such as what the results would look like if we weighted votes.
- Raw vote tallies are on the RawData sheet, i.e. how I interpreted all of your posts and words into numbers.
- And the voting visualizations are again on in the AdvancedAnal sheet, for example:

March Comes In Like A Lion S1 (Avg: 4.143)

vs

Land of the Lustrous (Avg: 3.860)

vs

Girls' Last Tour (Avg: 3.500)

vs

KonoSuba 2 (Avg: 3.344)

etc.

Thanks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

i disagree but that's because i hate kill la kill more than i like kiznaiver

kiznaiver wins Most Disappointing Anime probably

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Colonel posted:

I liked both, but KLK went on too long and Kiznaiver wasn't long enough.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only way kiznaiver being longer would have been better is if they'd actually given more than one character an arc and also didn't make that character straight at the end

kill la kill isn't a good show but it felt like it had more writing than kiznaiver and also it didn't center an episode around a character's sexuality and their trauma in ways that retroactively made really freaky implications for scenes in earlier episodes and then literally just abandon it right after and never bring it up again

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 15, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Colonel posted:

the only way kiznaiver being longer would have been better is if they'd actually given more than one character an arc

Yes, that's exactly why!

quote:

and also didn't make that character straight at the end

wait what

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Oh wait you're talking about the mangaka girl. I thought there was some entire piece of subtext with Katsuhira that went entirely over my head.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the premise of kiznaiver was so cool and i was really interested when they introduced a character who was a masochist and self harmed

shame about most of the rest of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shame about the part where the masochist was like the least consistent character in the show to a baffling degree

like honestly there is no way more episodes would have helped kiznaiver because in their 12 episodes not only did only one character really get an arc, but basically nobody else even got started on having an arc and then he just kind of shifts roles four times and never actually gets to be anything

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
for a second, he becomes a villain, trying to dig up people's traumas, which is cool cause them having issues in the group is the whole point but he just stops at one point idk

he was cute tho, i liked his face piercings

• Locked thread