Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i wish tetsuya nomura would get drummed out of the industry so that his interminable vanity projects stop wasting everyone else's time and money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Same but Kojima

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only way to get kojima to quit is to defeat him in a contest of wits and if you lose he steals your youth

guess how well that's worked out for everyone

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
One day I would like to make a video game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i wish tetsuya nomura would get drummed out of the industry so that his interminable vanity projects stop wasting everyone else's time and money

Same but the square enix creeper dude who put that one creepy secret in ff7 and I think he was responsible for third birthday as well

VideoGames posted:

Same. Would you like to team up and we can make an attempt? :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Same but the square enix creeper dude who put that one creepy secret in ff7 and I think he was responsible for third birthday as well

toriyama is The Worst but unfortunately he's capable of releasing games on time and therefore is too powerful

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/495480/Visual_Novel_Maker/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nomura is cool and can't die until KH3 comes out

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Oxxidation posted:

toriyama is The Worst but unfortunately he's capable of releasing games on time and therefore is too powerful

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man with the rose is king.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

Nomura is cool and can't die until KH3 comes out

Square-Enix-Sega-Sammy to release KH3 Prelude Act 0.5 in November 2056, developed by Lich Nomura.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SE is actually pretty drat well off economically right now but it can all go to poo poo in a blink of an eye if they keep giving that generation of auteurs endless resources to never release their pet projects

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Same. Would you like to team up and we can make an attempt? :v:

Heck yes! But I am not sure how to make a game. This is wish it is quite the pipe dream.

This would be the closest kind of game, right now, that I could make. I love writing detective stories and if I was to make a game I would want to make a police one with a cool mystery and a Visual Novel is the only way I could currently create something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SE is actually pretty drat well off economically right now but it can all go to poo poo in a blink of an eye if they keep giving that generation of auteurs endless resources to never release their pet projects

They have a panic button behind 'break in case of emergency' glass that makes veiras playable in FFXIV for $30. Instant warchest.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Heck yes! But I am not sure how to make a game. This is wish it is quite the pipe dream.

This would be the closest kind of game, right now, that I could make. I love writing detective stories and if I was to make a game I would want to make a police one with a cool mystery and a Visual Novel is the only way I could currently create something.

Ren'Py is free and is flexible enough to do a variety of different things in it, whether you want to make just a visual novel or if you want to futz around with it some and end up with something a bit more in-depth like Long Live The Queen or Magical Diary.

I had an idea for a VN once too but I committed to the fact that I'm never going to finish anything that I want to make because it's easier on my head to accept the defeat early on rather than later when I've gotten partway in, hit a brick wall, and realize I can't figure out what to do to fix whatever problem I'm having at the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should probably try to make some text-based games or something, because I think if I was ever able to work in game development I'd really want to work in quest or narrative design. Even having read about what that job is like, I think I'd enjoy it. I like collaborative writing projects and I have no problem working within someone else's framework. Obviously some studios would be a nightmare to write for, but I know that's not the case everywhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't work for the video game industry, they don't have unions and they reward overtime with pizza instead of actual money

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

pizza instead of actual money

Still waiting for an actual downside here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I spend probably 40% of my take-home income on pizza so this would just be expediting the process.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

I spend probably 40% of my take-home income on pizza so this would just be expediting the process.

jesus christ

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well I'm a Chinese take-out guy myself so I wouldn't be happy working there

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i spend all my income on bills. a friend invited me to an event that was $25 per person and i almost had an anxiety attack the second that left her mouth

GUI posted:

I was reading the TVtropes page the other day while listening to the soundtrack like a giant nerd. Been thinking of connecting my 360 again and playing through it since I only did so once when it came out. Never got around to playing the epilogue DLC either despite buying it.
the finale of that game is the best part of it and they were right to charge five more dollars for it, it's so good. Enjoy, gamer

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh I would never make a video game for a company, just for myself and my friends. I have no illusions on how tough and awful the industry can be. It would just be a silly fun thing for people to enjoy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Don't work for the video game industry, they don't have unions and they reward overtime with pizza instead of actual money

Doesn't sound much different from where I work now, honestly

(That's a joke, I'm well aware that where I work now is probably the least exploitative and terrible big software company I'm aware of, probably due to being outside of silicon valley and not being publicly traded. Still no unions or overtime, though.)

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
A bit late with this but for long essay style critical analysis Noah Caldwell-Gervais makes some of the best videos around imo https://www.youtube.com/user/broadcaststsatic/feed

His recent video on Soma & Tacoma is excellent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_rfYXXdOY

And his video on Jalopy! is nice bite sized little introduction to his style and what he finds valuable in games if you don't want to go through an hour+ long video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcDAjTBfcA

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/simpsonsvgames/status/952762737964314624

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to make a video game this year for the first time too! I can’t wait.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wait is it supposed to still be going?

I tried loading it up a couple times last night and just assumed it was over and I missed the boat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Phantasium posted:

wait is it supposed to still be going?

I tried loading it up a couple times last night and just assumed it was over and I missed the boat

Expect My Mom posted:

The servers are getting absolutely loving bodied right now because it's Dragon loving Ball, I think they're extending the beta tho?

Even Crunchyroll frequently shuts down when a new Dragon Ball episodes comes out

its going to be absolutely worth it tho

https://twitter.com/GetKype/status/952875809039007744

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The entertainment industry's wave of men being outed as sex pests and rapists is totally going to swell over into video games and probably include individuals and developers you respect.

Jokes on you I don't respect anybody

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually that's a lie, I respect Jeff Vogel. But he is a happily married family man who works from home so it'd be hard for him to harass any employees

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The entertainment industry's wave of men being outed as sex pests and rapists is totally going to swell over into video games and probably include individuals and developers you respect.

I remember when the creepy Team Ninja guy got fired for sexual harassment and no loving body was the least surprised about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kojima can never be outed as a sex pervert because it was already one of the very first things we ever learned about him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Oh I would never make a video game for a company, just for myself and my friends. I have no illusions on how tough and awful the industry can be. It would just be a silly fun thing for people to enjoy.

I'm gonna make VideoGames help me out with my OpenXCOM mod idea >:]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Kojima can never be outed as a sex pervert because it was already one of the very first things we ever learned about him

We can only hope he isn't as handsy IRL

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

We can only hope he isn't as handsy IRL

How do you think he got such an anatomically perfect model of Norman Reedus' rear end.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

I got bored last night and ended up watching that episode of cheers where Rebecca turns the pool room into a tea room and drat, I can't tell if the episode was trying to make me dislike just Sam or if it was trying to make me dislike both Sam and Rebecca, especially with the whole setup being her making a tea room and getting to keep it if she makes 500 bucks off of it, but the tea room doesn't make money until she starts selling someone else's chili there and then when the pressure cooker explodes and damages the room and Sam's sorry, she demands that if he's so sad he should cry right then and there, and when he can't cry, she decides he must not be sad and goes and smashes up his car to make him cry.

Idk. I feel like it was trying to make Rebecca the overall winner but they both just ended up coming across as assholes.

Yeah it's just a tv show but I don't have anything else to talk about right now, sorry, so I'm just thinking about stupid poo poo like this.

Rebecca is the worst character on Cheers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am currently working on a videogame adaptation of Norm McDonald's memoirs. I require programmers, concept artists, writers, 3D artists, animators, marketers, voice actors, and managers to volunteer their time and expertise.

I can't pay you but it'll be great exposure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

I am currently working on a videogame adaptation of Norm McDonald's memoirs. I require programmers, concept artists, writers, 3D artists, animators, marketers, voice actors, and managers to volunteer their time and expertise.

I can't pay you but it'll be great exposure.

i can spell or read but wood love to help in making games so what could i do nothing i bet i have no job now my work has dried up so i unemployed now have been for year money running out help lol nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

You could say I'm more of an ideas guy.

• Locked thread