Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splatoon and Affordable Space Adventures made the best use of the tablet. Windwaker was good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Huxley posted:

You have to figure you're only reading the good news, but it's not been uncommon this year to hear about big-name indie devs saying things like, "Switch version outsold every other version combined" or "Switch port sold as well in its first week as our original launch."
I do have to wonder if this will keep up as more games fill up the eShop. I can't say I particularly like the eShop's design, and I get the feeling discoverability will get pretty bad as time goes on, ala the 3DS eShop, unless they change stuff up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when is the eshop music returning

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

I do have to wonder if this will keep up as more games fill up the eShop. I can't say I particularly like the eShop's design, and I get the feeling discoverability will get pretty bad as time goes on, ala the 3DS eShop, unless they change stuff up.

I'd wait to see what comes of when they move to paid online content and the like. Some of the things with the Switch's OS feels like they launched with a beta build to get the thing out of the door ASAP, and we're probably going to see a decent-sized rebuild at some point this year.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harrow posted:

This is something I didn't know at all about the Wii U, but it also explains a lot about the general lack of exciting games for it.

I know Hyper Crab Tank mentioned how easy it is to develop for the Switch, compared to a lot of consoles, which is pretty cool, and I hope it does get a huge pile of low/mid-tear studios' games, which is something I never really took advantage of on my Vita.

Hella confirmed. The Wii U has its own custom toolchain developed by some tiny third-party compiler manufacturer that normally only works with embedded systems and MSVC support is only an afterthought (and badly interlinked via a plugin that shits itself constantly). Switch is clang-based, i.e. modern and standard and good and MSVC support is practically builtin.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Kins posted:

It’s already really bad. For a little while “best sellers” was helpful to find top games but now cheap titles flood it. Finding bigger but not huge titles requires a search by name or price basically.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It’s already really bad. For a little while “best sellers” was helpful to find top games but now cheap titles flood it. Finding bigger but not huge titles requires a search by name or price basically.

The tagging is lovely too, I'm pretty sure that like, Enter the Gungeon is listed as an RPG but Binding of Isaac isn't, for example

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

perfect for the switch. time to pray to the port gods once again.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't see the issue with the eShop. You can already sort by genre, the newest games are literally the first things you see, and the Sale section is so easy to access that I spend a lot of time going "Sure, why not" and dropping $5 on a game I'd normally have never touched.

Honestly, I think the 3DS and Wii U eShops are, while aesthetically pleasing and brimming with personality, kinda bloated and irritating to navigate, and even still, they're infinitely better than the PlayStation store, which is so terrible that the general consensus is to "use the web interface on a PC," and whatever the Bone has going for it these days, which I assume is basically the same as the Windows 10 interface.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the dsi eshop had the best music and I also loved that it was just like insanely packed with cheap, disposable puzzle games that were like games you'd used to play on a Palm Pilot or somehting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

I don't see the issue with the eShop. You can already sort by genre, the newest games are literally the first things you see, and the Sale section is so easy to access that I spend a lot of time going "Sure, why not" and dropping $5 on a game I'd normally have never touched.

Honestly, I think the 3DS and Wii U eShops are, while aesthetically pleasing and brimming with personality, kinda bloated and irritating to navigate, and even still, they're infinitely better than the PlayStation store, which is so terrible that the general consensus is to "use the web interface on a PC," and whatever the Bone has going for it these days, which I assume is basically the same as the Windows 10 interface.

The Switch and 3Ds eShops will make you fight to see anything other than that brief fraction of the total library in the new releases and sales tab. There is no way in hell they're easier to navigate than the PSN store.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So aparently Netflix has "no plans" to put an app on the Switch. Huh?? Thats both surprising and terrible, I want all the streaming apps on switch :saddowns:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like, why? That's so stupid.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Like, why? That's so stupid.

Especially considering it's probably changing a value in a config.xml to port the android version to the switch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They could probably port their existing Nvidia Shield app with not a ton of effort

EDIT: Beaten

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
But the Switch doesn't run Android (or FreeBSD, or whatever else it's rumored to run). Unlike games, Netflix doesn't run on an already-ported "engine". They'd either have to get some HTML5 version working with Switch WebKit or implement a native app.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Switch and 3Ds eShops will make you fight to see anything other than that brief fraction of the total library in the new releases and sales tab. There is no way in hell they're easier to navigate than the PSN store.

The console PSN store's search function does not use a keyboard. Instead, you have to use a menu to search one letter at a time, and if you're on a PS3, this is a completely useless endeavor, as it can't handle the load of the store. Mobile also struggles hardcore with trying to load pages. It's mostly fine on a PC, but if you search for a game but spell it wrong, it returns no results and no suggestions.

On the Switch, if I search "sni," it will suggest Snipperclips, and if I search "gun," it will even suggest Gunvolt. PSN hasn't offered anything close ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird to me that if you buy a toaster these days it probably comes with a netflix app pre loaded, but it's always an uphill battle to get any of this stuff on a Nintendo system because, reasons? iirc didn't the Wii U take forever to get Netflix, and 3DS never even got it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird to me that if you buy a toaster these days it probably comes with a netflix app pre loaded, but it's always an uphill battle to get any of this stuff on a Nintendo system because, reasons? iirc didn't the Wii U take forever to get Netflix, and 3DS never even got it?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/netflix-3ds

July 14, 2011, only about 4 months after the system launch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Netflix was available on Wii U day one and 3DS got it a few months after release

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

3DS totally has Netflix, but I imagine it's not very popular. All I can think is that Netflix didn't see a lot of use from their 3DS or Wii U apps, and assumes it'd be the same for the Switch. Which is obviously a dopey assumption.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
given Amazon are generally the worst at porting their poo poo to other platforms I don't even wanna think of how long that will take

After repeatedly saying that I miss when devices did one thing and did them well (like back when you had separate cell phones and mp3 players) and saying that my favorite current device is the Kindle Paperwhite for doing exaclty that, I feel hypocritical saying that I really wish the Switch did things other than play video games lol

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Lee posted:

3DS totally has Netflix, but I imagine it's not very popular. All I can think is that Netflix didn't see a lot of use from their 3DS or Wii U apps, and assumes it'd be the same for the Switch. Which is obviously a dopey assumption.

In all fairness, I only use the Hulu app to watch Golden Girls at work; otherwise, I'm using my Roku or Chromecast to handle TV entertainment. I'm probably not a super common use-case, but I may very well be the kind that Nintendo is thinking about. Certainly, there *has* to be a reason that Netflix of all things is on hold.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my best guess is that maybe they don't think it's worthwhile for a device without a 4G radio, but being able to use the Switch as a set-top box or a "watch Netflix on the shitter" device is absolutely something I'd like. then again, the set-top box thing gets hurt when you want to watch Hulu but your kid just took the Switch to school or something

Nintendo definitely wanted people to use the WiiU as a set-top box too, maybe they felt burned by that and the disaster of TVii?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 15, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nintendo definitely wanted people to use the WiiU as a set-top box too, maybe they felt burned by that and the disaster of TVii?

Even Nintendo of Europe gave up on TVii, so EU regions never got the service.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wonder if anyone in history has ever used the IR blaster Tivo features of the XBox One.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Takoluka posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/netflix-3ds

July 14, 2011, only about 4 months after the system launch.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Netflix was available on Wii U day one and 3DS got it a few months after release

Oh, my bad. For some reason I thought it took like a year for it to come to Wii U and I guess I just never thought to use it on 3DS

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The shrines are good, the world is bad

What the gently caress?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still think about the post that said "All Zelda games are overrated in the first six months after release, and underrated after that"

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I sent 'feedback' through Netflix' media center thingy that Im pretty sure is for actual members of the press basically asserting that whoever made the call irt the Switch has got a bad case of the brainworms.

Edit: Doom was doing weird audio stuff for me during the campaign too. Then it stopped? Wish I could help.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 15, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

thexerox123 posted:

Did you download the update? I'm pretty sure it includes a patch that is supposed to fix audio issues.

It says I'm using the latest version of this software :(

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

THE loving MOON posted:

So aparently Netflix has "no plans" to put an app on the Switch. Huh?? Thats both surprising and terrible, I want all the streaming apps on switch :saddowns:

The news comes from someone calling customer service, so I wouldn't count on that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I might be weird, but I really liked the Wii U gamepad. Having separate screens for couch co-op was a really great feature! It worked great for Sonic Racing and Hyrule Warriors. Mario Kart, bizarrely, didn't give each player their own screen and instead split the Gamepad screen too so it was pretty much unplayable for the loser stuck with the Gamepad. :psyduck:

I have difficulty convincing my husband to play Switch games with me because he misses having his own screen. He could even take the Gamepad over to his desk if he needed to check something and still play with me. He didn't like playing co-op FEW because he didn't like the split-screen. Well using split Joycons probably wasn't the best idea either... That was a pretty miserable experience. Maybe if we invested in a Pro Controller. But anyway he's not even terribly interested in playing HyWar together when it comes to the Switch because he didn't like split-screen FEW. :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Sounds like you need another Switch :haw:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

In the lull for Bayonetta I decided to pop in Has Been Heroes. I think it is a better game than the 6s reviews will lead you to believe, but given the difficulty level I can see myself probably putting it down before I can consistently play it well enough to unlock all the other heroes.

Also snagged Gungeon and cannot get enough of it. Was there a thread for it I missed along the way? I've got a ton of questions but I don't want to derail.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I still think about the post that said "All Zelda games are overrated in the first six months after release, and underrated after that"

except skyward sword that poo poo aged bad.

i wouldn’t call botw “underrated” at this point it’s still generally beloved, top or close in a lot of goty lists there’s just more people especially later adopters that didn’t click with some or more of its design choices, and more relevant to this thread a smaller minority of those people who won’t stop taking the opportunity to poo poo on it in crazy ways every time it comes up in any context.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 15, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChariotGame/status/952937826366230529

Chariot port incoming later this year. This is one of my favorite co-op games ever; it's a puzzle platformer where a lot of the trickiest bits heavily challenge your ability to communicate & coordinate, not just your reflexes or puzzle-solving skills. Definitely a unique co-op experience and worth picking up if you have someone (locally) to play with.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Is Bomberman R worth getting if I can somehow get it under £20? Loves me some Megadrive/SNES Bomberman, but haven't really touched it since.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

nessin posted:

Has anyone tried out Romancing Saga 2? Never got around to playing that one when I went through a lot of SNES RPGs and just wondering how the port is and whether it's worth playing.

I've been having a lot of fun with it on the switch and I think the port is fine. The only issue that I've found with the port itself is that there is a small amount of input lag. It makes it a little hard to avoid encounters sometimes, but I've sort of compensated for it at this point.

As for the game, it is definitely worth playing if you have the time and the patience to put into it. It has a lot of systems that are not very well explained even in the manual. If you've played any of the other Saga games, expect it to be just as obtuse. It's basically an open world jrpg, so after the first few generations, you can pretty much go anywhere and do anything in any order. Sometimes you will be wondering if you're even supposed to be in a location or fighting a boss yet.

It's also a very hard game, and even enemies in the very first dungeon of the game can one shot individual party members. Don't worry about it too much unless their LP starts getting really low. I recommend going into it mostly blind, but don't be afraid to look up some info online if you really get stuck. Also don't be afraid to experiment with new party members and compositions. Anyone who says they will serve you well can be recruited if you have an open slot.

Here's the kind of janky manual that square put up for it, if you want some basic information. http://www.jp.square-enix.com/romasaga2/common/pdf/EN_Switch.pdf#zoom=200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

njsykora posted:

Speaking of which, Crypt of the Necrodancer is coming out February 1st.

Is that only the Japan date?

I know it's region-free, but given my backlog, I can wait a little bit to get jiggy.

Just a little bit.

• Locked thread