Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Anakin, the boy kept in slavery by means of a remote brain detonator, wins a great battle against a slave army by remotely detonating their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Is not a remotely detonating brain though merely an analog to the omnipresent angst that we all feel at not knowing the time of our own death, which can come like a thief in the night? We all live with remotely detonated bombs in our brains, our own mortality, and are we not slaves to this bomb?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Wars is a series of films.

Rey is a gearhead whose a fascination with antique military hardware and piracy shifts towards collecting holy relics. She has never seen a film.

It's weird reading a post in which you pretend to not know what a metaphor is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Friendly Factory posted:

Not that this tired discussion isn't annoying, but it has reminded me that I would like to see a force using droid at some point

Grievous, arguably

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Framing Rey as a Star Wars fan is an obnoxious way of saying that a preoccupation of the Sequel Trilogy is the reinterpretation of previous history/myth/legend catalysing new histories/myths/legends. I'm not saying it's completely wrong, it's just part of an annoying tendency in modern criticism which is to diagnose metafictionality in stuff when it's not necessary to bring that into the conversation at all. For example when the new Twin Peaks series was airing, people were quick to say David Lynch was 'trolling' his audience instead of merely saying he was frustrating their expectations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Factory posted:

Not that this tired discussion isn't annoying, but it has reminded me that I would like to see a force using droid at some point

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

That's from an Infinities Story.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bleck posted:

Grievous, arguably

He's a more like Vader, a living being with mechanical replacements

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Deep down, I think you want to prove how dumb you think Yaws is. I always hate these kind of posts.

What makes you think Yaws answering the question in earnest would end up with Bongo Bill thinking it's "dumb"? Weird thoughts, OP

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A brief intermission from our regularly scheduled humans vs. droids debate to bring you the following short film featuring Bruce Lee in a lightsaber fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQC29joihwU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Jewmanji posted:

A brief intermission from our regularly scheduled humans vs. droids debate to bring you the following short film featuring Bruce Lee in a lightsaber fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQC29joihwU

They make those light nunchucks work pretty well, considering.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

*bounces laser nunchunk against back of arm, severing it completely*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Exactly, the point of that line is we're supposed to be laughing at what a drama queen Threepio is being. Threepio is a robot-butler who just wants to perform his function but Artoo keeps getting him involved in Space Adventures, that's the joke.

He's also correct, suffering is the entire reason he exists.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

It's weird reading a post in which you pretend to not know what a metaphor is.

The issue is that the metaphor doesn’t work.

Like in the It Follows thread, it was argued that the monster is a metaphor for AIDS, and then the kid protagonists cure... AIDS...? By not believing in it?

What you are proposing is a full-scale allegory about media consumption, where lack of access to the Star Wars franchise films is equated with homelessness/drought/starvation. Whatever, sure. Let’s set aside, for the moment, that you’ve immediately reduced the stakes of the conflict to ‘ability to buy merch’ and infantilized yourself.

Even in this view, Rey is a Star Wars fan who is intimately familiar with Han Solo’s EU adventures - and with, I guess, technical manuals about Star Destroyers - and yet, inexplicably, she still hasn’t seen the movies. She’s barely heard of Luke Skywalker or ‘the Force’ - “I thought he was a myth”.

Rey must be an extremely rare individual who is a hardcore Star Wars fan but only a fan of, like, hyperdrive specs and the fictional mechanics of spice smuggling. She is not characterized by her fandom but by her ignorance. Like she’s only obsessively re-read the story where Han Solo punches the giant weasel queen. Perhaps this is why she knows everything about the millennium falcon except what it looks like.

To repeat: Rey doesn’t know what Han Solo looks like, but she’s intimately familiar with the Kessel Run.

And things just get weirder from there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

What makes you think Yaws answering the question in earnest would end up with Bongo Bill thinking it's "dumb"? Weird thoughts, OP

His answer would be “dumb”

Hence the trap.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Like in the It Follows thread, it was argued that the monster is a metaphor for AIDS, and then the kid protagonists cure... AIDS...? By not believing in it?

It's a metaphor for sex as a passage into adulthood and with it the knowledge that you are mortal and will eventually die. You can run from it, you can keep moving forward and hope that's enough, but you can never really stop it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rian said that the milk is green on NPR btw

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

His answer would be “dumb”

Hence the trap.

....how do you know that? :psyduck:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Han Solo trailer meant to be out today or not? I know nobody really cares about the Solo movie but I have to admit I'm fascinated to see something of it just because of how much of a mess its been production-wise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

So is the Han Solo trailer meant to be out today or not? I know nobody really cares about the Solo movie but I have to admit I'm fascinated to see something of it just because of how much of a mess its been production-wise.

It's supposed to be out some point today, but they're being cagey on when.

edit: Take this with a grain of salt, though. It was also rumored to come out on the 12th, and that obviously didn't happen.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 15, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a metaphor for sex as a passage into adulthood and with it the knowledge that you are mortal and will eventually die. You can run from it, you can keep moving forward and hope that's enough, but you can never really stop it.

Right. Misreading like the AIDS metaphor happen when the film fails in some way. In that case, people see the characters as apsychological rational actors facing off against an outside scientific-objective threat. “We just need to cure mortality.”

People say Force Awakens is about fandom and cosplay because the film likewise fails. Characters are understood in terms of their demographic and media consumption - movie likes and dislikes - rather than their actions or their socioeconomic status.

Rey is a girl and she likes Han Solo. That is all that matters to people, because she doesn’t actually do anything in the film. And the fact that she is abjectly poor, on the verge of starving to death, is completely unimportant. This happens when the film fails to establish any sort of psychological or sociopolitical reality. People see the film as a LARP because the film fails as a film.

Like, in Hodgepodge’s view, the opening massacre of the village essentially represents an online flame war between people on an online Star Wars message board. That’s a damning indictment.

Rey is living in a scrapheap of decommissioned military hardware, eating slime, and Hodgepodge’s stance is that this is represents the 30+ years of depression that middle-class nerds have spent waiting for someone to make an Episode 7. I mean, come on.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 15, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Right. Misreading like the AIDS metaphor happen when the film fails in some way. People see the characters as apsychological rational actors facing off against an outside scientific-objective threat.

People say Force Awakens is about fandom and cosplay because the film likewise fails. Characters are understood in terms of their demographic and media consumption - movie likes and dislikes - rather than their actions or their socioeconomic status.

Rey is a girl and she likes Han Solo. That is all that matters to people, because she doesn’t actually do anything in the film. And the fact that she is abjectly poor, on the verge of starving to death, is completelyunimportant. This happens when the film fails to establish any sort of psychological or sociopolitical reality.

Hodgepodge’s view, the opening massacre of the village essentially represents an online flame war between people on an online message board.

Rey is living in a scrapheap of decommissioned military hardware, eating slime, and Hodgepodge’s stance is that this is represents the 30+ years of depression that pathetic nerds have spent waiting for someone to make an Episode 7.

Depression? No, but sitting in the literal shadow of an AT-AT (which is from what the fandom considers to be the best Star Wars movie) while wearing a Rebel fighter pilot helmet shows that she's living in the shadows of the past movies. She gets doe-eyed at the mere mention of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, or the Falcon. She's a fan, but is afraid to move on from her safe space. But by the end, she has moved into a larger world to try and actually engage with these shadows of the past. "She doesn't actually do anything in the film" is just false. For most of the movie, she's reacting, trying to survive, but also trying to do what's right (get BB-8 back to the Resistance). By the end of the movie, she should want to go back to Jakku to wait for her parents. But she doesn't, she steps further into the galaxy to find a teacher, and a new hope for the Resistance. The fact that she is abjectly poor isn't "completelyunimportant", it's to show that heroes in this galaxy can come from nothing. This is the same sort of story we get from Luke in Star Wars (though he was far less poor, he was still a farmer in a shithole planet), until the sequel retconned him the son of Darth Vader.

Contrast this with Kylo Ren, who dresses somewhat like Darth Vader, not because he needs to (like Vader did), but because he wants to look like Darth Vader. The movie makes this explicitly (probably too explicitly) clear. He's a fan, wants to be Vader, only better, and is struggling with the fact that it's not working out that way. He's constructed his own lightsaber, but, like some of us who built them when we were kids, his is a shittier imitation (though obviously his is better than the stick I found in my backyard). It's like this for the whole First Order. They are not the Empire, but they want to be. Only better.

(This is all from TFA, btw. TLJ is about something different, which is fine, it's a different movie.)

This isn't exactly new, JJ Abrams likes making movies about the franchise they're in, or the genre, or the fandom. Star Trek '09 has a lot of this, with modern, dark, ugly sci-fi going back in time and battling with bright, optimistic, literal "ship of lights" sci-fi, and getting swallowed into nothingness.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

What you are proposing is a full-scale allegory about media consumption, where lack of access to the Star Wars franchise films is equated with homelessness/drought/starvation. Whatever, sure. Let’s set aside, for the moment, that you’ve immediately reduced the stakes of the conflict to ‘ability to buy merch’ and infantilized yourself.

Even in this view, Rey is a Star Wars fan who is intimately familiar with Han Solo’s EU adventures - and with, I guess, technical manuals about Star Destroyers - and yet, inexplicably, she still hasn’t seen the movies. She’s barely heard of Luke Skywalker or ‘the Force’ - “I thought he was a myth”.

Rey must be an extremely rare individual who is a hardcore Star Wars fan but only a fan of, like, hyperdrive specs and the fictional mechanics of spice smuggling. She is not characterized by her fandom but by her ignorance. Like she’s only obsessively re-read the story where Han Solo punches the giant weasel queen. Perhaps this is why she knows everything about the millennium falcon except what it looks like.

To repeat: Rey doesn’t know what Han Solo looks like, but she’s intimately familiar with the Kessel Run.

And things just get weirder from there.

In the literal sense, she has heard legends which tell the same story as the film, and grew up scavenging the ruins of a battle between the rebellion and the Empire. The connection between stories originally told through oral history and those told through film is one of the central thematic premises of Star Wars.

However, she has never experienced any of this firsthand; the analogy being between things you've only heard of as myth and the culturally predigested experience of watching the previous trilogies as a young audience.

Your analysis here counts as 'weird thoughts' if anything does. You hear that she knows Luke Skywalker as a myth and is amazed and inspired by the Jedi being real- and conclude that she doesn't know anything about these subjects. You have difficulty imagining any form of knowledge which does not involve a screen. You cannot seem to grasp that Han Solo showing up and telling Star Wars fan that the Force is real would provoke the same reaction.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 15, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Depression? No, but sitting in the literal shadow of an AT-AT (which is from what the fandom considers to be the best Star Wars movie) while wearing a Rebel fighter pilot helmet shows that she's living in the shadows of the past movies.

You are badly mixing your metaphors.

“Living in the shadow of Empire Strikes Back” would mean that Rey is not a Star Wars fan but a Star Wars character who is unsure of how to accomplish anything noteworthy in the Star Wars universe.

And then, there is absolutely no reason to be ‘meta’ here. We can eliminate all the meta reference to Star Wars as a franchise and lose nothing:

Rey is a character who is unsure of how to accomplish anything noteworthy in the universe. (And of course, it’s because the war is ostensibly over and her life isn’t any better. She could escape Jakku at any time, but she has nowhere to go. The Republic failed her. But, oops, now we’re getting political.)

See? The problem is, again, that people don’t perceive Rey as a character. They perceive her as a consumer demographic interacting with the narrative from outside, like a person playing a videogame.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

You are badly mixing your metaphors.

“Living in the shadow of Empire Strikes Back” would mean that Rey is not a Star Wars fan but a Star Wars character who is unsure of how to accomplish anything noteworthy in the Star Wars universe.

And then, there is absolutely no reason to be ‘meta’ here. We can eliminate all the meta reference to Star Wars as a franchise and lose nothing:

Rey is a character who is unsure of how to accomplish anything noteworthy in the universe. (And of course, it’s because the war is ostensibly over and her life isn’t any better. She could escape Jakku at any time, but she has nowhere to go. The Republic failed her. But, oops, now we’re getting political.)

See? The problem is, again, that people don’t perceive Rey as a character. They perceive her as a consumer demographic interacting with the narrative from outside, like a person playing a videogame.

You are now amazed at the idea of people drawing a connection between the audience and a protagonist.

You also deny any reason to get 'meta' but cannot go a paragraph without having to stop because your analysis has become 'political,' the difference being that one is a posited potential reading you disdain, the other the way you would normally read a film but stop yourself from doing in this case. Each reading is actually both 'meta' and 'political.'

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

See? The problem is, again, that people don’t perceive Rey as a character.

Which people? :confused:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There was a guy in the last Star Wars thread who argued for like 5 straight pages that TFA is an allegory for millennials in the workplace and it was so lol dumb SMG riffs on it two years later

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which people? :confused:

The first few weeks of TFA chat were people clamoring to say “this is millennial Star Wars!!” much like how lots of folks continue to insist that the First Order are somehow the alt right

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Must be an SA thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which people [don’t perceive Rey as a character]? :confused:

Those who say that she - a homeless woman living in a broken-down tank in space-Somalia - is really more like a child living in the suburbs, with a pile of star wars toys but no DVD player with which to fully contextualize them. Her makeshift hovel represents not only decontextualized pop-cultural ephemera but, uh, critical praise for the movies she hasn't seen. Rey wants for nothing except entertainment, because she is not a character.

And then, in a second-order way, Rey's status as an ignorant child represents the desire of adult nerds to 'relive their childhoods'. This is the mechanism through which Rey can be both ignorant of basic Star Wars facts ("Luke Skywalker is a star wars character? I thought he was diegetically like bigfoot or something.") and the avatar of its fandom.

This all actively ignores, of course, that war actually happened in the film. The guys who piloted that tank presumably died in combat. The guy who wore the helmet was also shot dead. Billions of people died in Galactic War II. Rey is a character - a scavenger. She lives in a mass grave.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Those who say that she - a homeless woman living in a broken-down tank in space-Somalia - is really more like a child living in the suburbs, with a pile of star wars toys but no DVD player with which to fully contextualize them. Her makeshift hovel represents not only decontextualized pop-cultural ephemera but, uh, critical praise for the movies she hasn't seen. Rey wants for nothing except entertainment, because she is not a character.

And then, in a second-order way, Rey's status as an ignorant child represents the desire of adult nerds to 'relive their childhoods'. This is the mechanism through which Rey can be both ignorant of basic Star Wars facts ("Luke Skywalker is a star wars character? I thought he was diegetically like bigfoot or something.") and the avatar of its fandom.

This all actively ignores, of course, that war actually happened in the film. The guys who piloted that tank presumably died in combat. The guy who wore the helmet was also shot dead. Billions of people died in Galactic War II. Rey is a character - a scavenger. She lives in a mass grave.

This hypothetical child in Somalia is capable of hearing stories, and being told that they are real. Those stories might, for example, be about Christ.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars is Christ, you see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I don't know about any of that. It seems too sophisticated for me. :shrug:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No, no. Darth Vader is Christ. Once you're done watching some Star Wars you should read SMG's posts about it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

This hypothetical child in Somalia is capable of hearing stories, and being told that they are real. Those stories might, for example, be about Christ.

You were talking about something specific: Star Wars fandom. Not 'people who hear stories and are told that they are real'. Don't be deceitful.

Remember, you are reacting against this post:

Star Wars is a series of films.

Rey is a gearhead whose a fascination with antique military hardware and piracy shifts towards collecting holy relics. She has never seen a film.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

You were talking about something specific: Star Wars fandom. Not 'people who hear stories and are told that they are real'. Don't be deceitful.

Remember, you are reacting against this post:

Hodgepodge posted:

In the literal sense, she has heard legends which tell the same story as the film, and grew up scavenging the ruins of a battle between the rebellion and the Empire. The connection between stories originally told through oral history and those told through film is one of the central thematic premises of Star Wars.

There is an audience for which Star Wars films beyond "fandom," the assumption that the audience is automatically a "fandom" is entirely your own.

e: to clarify a bit further, you're deceiving yourself in a similar manner to those who dismiss Lucas as incapable of writing films equal to the sophistication to your analysis. The difference is instead of using the imaginary figure of the author as an excuse to avoid reading the films, you are using the putative audience instead.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 16, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

There is an audience for which Star Wars films beyond "fandom," the assumption that the audience is automatically a "fandom" is entirely your own.

Your though processes are all disorganized.

I wrote that Rey is not a metaphorical Star Wars fan; she is a metaphorical person who finds religion. You wrote that this was wrong.

Now you agree: Rey is not a metaphorical Star Wars fan; she is a metaphorical person who finds religion.

You also now insist that Star Wars movies and historical legends are both types of story, which I don't think anyone would disagree with. But you add the weird conclusion that Rey, having heard a story about past events, was technically an audience. And, therefore, she is like the audience for blockbuster films, and therefore she is like a Star Wars fan.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Your though processes are all disorganized.

I wrote that Rey is not a metaphorical Star Wars fan; she is a metaphorical person who finds religion. You wrote that this was wrong.

Now you agree: Rey is not a metaphorical Star Wars fan; she is a metaphorical person who finds religion.

You also now insist that Star Wars movies and historical legends are both types of story, which I don't think anyone would disagree with. But you add the weird conclusion that Rey, having heard a story about past events, was technically an audience. And, therefore, she is like the audience for blockbuster films, and therefore she is like a Star Wars fan.

You have not, in this discussion, advanced the idea that Rey "finds religion." You have posited many interpretations here, but that is not one of them. If my thought process seems confused, perhaps it is because you are assuming that I am reacting to posts you did not make.

A fundamental difference between our positions which you seem to be avoiding is that I am talking about "a young audience" who encounter the previous films as a "culturally predigested experience," whereas you insist that I am talking about "middle-class nerds" experiencing "30+ years of depression...waiting for someone to make an Episode 7."

The thing is, you are the only one preoccupied with those nerds. A child- whose class background is not necessarily middle class- is able to see that Rey lives in poverty and empathize with that, and also recognize that although Star Wars is a collection of stories, legends, and rumors rather than a series of films to her, they both encounter it as the experience of a previous generation that nevertheless constantly informs their own. Like, my son watches Lego videos on YouTube and frequently asks me about Darth Vader. He mixes up Vader and Ren and so forth, but it would take a lot of intentional effort to allow him to watch the films without already having encountered them as a cultural, commercial, etc, phenomenon. He's younger than the audience I have in mind, but age is not likely to diminish this effect. All this cultural ephemera are the ruins Rey is scavenging in; whatever value those stories have reach the subject as scraps which might be mined for a meager contribution to survival in a bleak Capitalist environment.

These middle class nerds you care about so much aren't relevant at to my analysis.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

IIRC Holdo uses the word "godspeed" at some point so we've got some tiny hint that god is or was a concept in the star wars universe now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

although Star Wars is a collection of stories, legends, and rumors rather than a series of films to her, they both encounter it

Ok, now we can see where you're getting confused. Your argument is based around the notion that 'Star Wars' is a thing - an "it" - that transcends media.

Now, I would have expected that you are a referring to the plot content of Star Wars, as Star Wars' plot is roughly the same across novelizations, radio plays, wikipedia articles, and whatever. But you are actually talking more abstractly a 'universal' experience of... not being old.

Hodgepodge posted:

I am talking about "a young audience" who encounter ... a "culturally predigested experience."

Your argument is that Rey and children (in the abstract) are younger than old people, and old people have experienced things that young people have not experienced.
Of course, people who fought in wars had extremely different experiences from people who saw Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of The Clones in theaters. You do acknowledge these sorts of differences, but gloss over them. They are unimportant, because they the point is that all people experience things. The experience of experiencing is universal.

Now the question here is, again, why you have gone meta - why Star Wars as a franchise factors into this at all. And that's where things get mixed up between the plot of Star Wars and the tautology that experience is experienced.

I've merely stated that Star Wars is a series of films in which Rey is a character who collects holy relics.

You are saying that Star Wars is the abstract experience of being aware of the plot of Star Wars, and since Rey is aware of historical events in the Star Wars universe she has fundamentally the same experience as a dude who edits wookieepedia or a child who sees a movie trailer.