Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I thought the same but from what I've seen the cams on the front of busses usually point downwards more than a dash cam and I'm not sure it would have captured the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Neither, probably. Too stupid to pay attention to the fact that the rows are all one-way traffic, and too stupid to think about it.

Malls are a great place to watch people you share a road with, though. Suburban moms get really mad when they wait for you to leave your parking spot, but instead, you sit and gently caress around on your phone for a few minutes. I'm probably a bad person but that is some good schadenfreude.

Around here it's not even remotely uncommon to see people doing 25+ through mall parking lots. I'm honestly amazed I don't see way more accidents in the lots around here.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Around here it's not even remotely uncommon to see people doing 25+ through mall parking lots. I'm honestly amazed I don't see way more accidents in the lots around here.

poo poo, I was getting tailgated doing 30 in a 15 at the mall on Saturday. Granted it was on the outside ring of the mall so I wasn't in danger of mowing down some poor family, but man, I'm going twice the speed limit, leave me alone.

People are bad about zooming through my apartment complex at 25+ though, makes me mad because some kids play out on the streets and a lot of people don't like to put leashes on their dogs because it's a gated community (stupid IMO, but not my choice).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, I work in an office that's on a residential through street and people routinely do 45-50 on this quiet, curvy 25mph road. No sidewalks, tons of deer around, kids playing, hidden driveways, but nope, if I'm doing 30, odds are I'm getting tailgated by some asshat in a Porsche.

Cops around here are so bored too, I really need to call the local PD one of these days and be like "listen guys just post a squad car at this intersection and I guarantee you will hit your ticket quotas in a day and a half"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Malls nothing, Community College parking lots are a warzone when afternoon classes get out. Right of way, stop signs, pedestrians? gently caress it, if I go fast enough none of that matters.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sleepy.eyes posted:

Malls nothing, Community College parking lots are a warzone when afternoon classes get out. Right of way, stop signs, pedestrians? gently caress it, if I go fast enough none of that matters.

Oh man, I forgot about that. When I was going to school I routinely flipped people off on my campus; there are a million places where cars have to yield for pedestrians or outright stop at a crossing, and I had more close calls with people either not paying attention or genuinely wanting to commit vehicular manslaughter than I can count. Uber/taxi drivers were the worst, of course.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I work in an office that's on a residential through street and people routinely do 45-50 on this quiet, curvy 25mph road. No sidewalks, tons of deer around, kids playing, hidden driveways, but nope, if I'm doing 30, odds are I'm getting tailgated by some asshat in a Porsche.

Cops around here are so bored too, I really need to call the local PD one of these days and be like "listen guys just post a squad car at this intersection and I guarantee you will hit your ticket quotas in a day and a half"

Each morning on my way to work I am constantly being tailgated by someone when I'm doing 30-35 in a 30mph, people will usually drive 40-45mph. Same thing on the way back but once it ups to 55mph then suddenly EVERYONE is driving 5 under.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

cage-free egghead posted:

Each morning on my way to work I am constantly being tailgated by someone when I'm doing 30-35 in a 30mph, people will usually drive 40-45mph. Same thing on the way back but once it ups to 55mph then suddenly EVERYONE is driving 5 under.

The main road from my mother's house back to mine is mostly 50mph, with 30mph for a mile and a bit through one large village. Almost every single time I get stuck behind someone doing 42mph. All the way.

(That 50 should be derestricted/60, and it used to be - then, naturally, there were a bunch of accidents with people going 90 or so, so it got reduced. Because the speed limit was clearly the problem there!)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Self Appointed Motorway Police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51epGAms9Jc&feature=youtu.be

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I need to get bull bars on my car. Because gently caress it, if you're holding up an entire lane of traffic on your own volition, I'm making you move.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Some of our neighbourhoods now have "Community Pace Cars" which are random cars with bumper stickers to make sure you don't speed. They are driven by the exact kind of person you imagine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The dude who filmed this totally needs to send this to the police and the local news. gently caress those assholes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Kia Sedona. Rear bumper that's modified for wheelchair access. What appears to be the outline of a flat cap on the driver.

Almost certainly a geriatric old bastard and fully paid-up member of the anti-pushing-in-society.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guaranteed if that was in the US it would have ended up in a shootout.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy christ, how can you be so adamant when literally 3 different people from other cars walk up to you to explain what's going on?

Also, double gently caress that guy in the Ford for making it even worse.

am I a total hypocrite for edging into the breakdown lane sometimes so people can't skip half a mile of traffic and jump back in (yes I am)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

am I a total hypocrite for edging into the breakdown lane sometimes so people can't skip half a mile of traffic and jump back in (yes I am)
You'll love how we've got rid of that problem on UK motorways.
The breakdown lanes have been converted into traffic lanes, with live signposting above lanes to shut them down if someone breaks down and has to stop in one.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

Guaranteed if that was in the US it would have ended up in a shootout.

You say this as if such people shouldn't be shot in the face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phanatic posted:

You say this as if such people shouldn't be shot in the face.

You say that like the offenders are going to be the only ones getting shot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Meh, a little collateral damage is justified if it gets fuckers like that off the road. Can't win a war without bombing a few hospitals, you know?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Phanatic posted:

Meh, a little collateral damage is justified if it gets fuckers like that off the road. Can't win a war without bombing a few hospitals, you know?

Oh, no. We just had a discussion like this. :smith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of our neighbourhoods now have "Community Pace Cars" which are random cars with bumper stickers to make sure you don't speed. They are driven by the exact kind of person you imagine.

I saw one of those on a yellow Beetle convertible, and I knew in that instant that the driver of that car, and I, had nothing in common and could never be friends under any circumstances.

That being said, I'll drive the speed limit in residential areas because it's safer than speeding in areas where there are kids around, people backing out of driveways, and so forth, and I don't mind terribly if it slows someone down who would otherwise be speeding. But gently caress anyone who blocks lanes on purpose, or camps out in the fast lane.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Bus dashcam of the Altima with altitude.
https://twitter.com/ChristineNBCLA/status/953058098838618113

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71yth6ku8bg

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That's giving me some legit Beware The Grey Ghost Batman flashbacks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Reminds me of The Dead Pool.

EDIT - That's the Clint Eastwood one, not Ryan Reynolds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

That being said, I'll drive the speed limit in residential areas because it's safer than speeding in areas where there are kids around, people backing out of driveways, and so forth, and I don't mind terribly if it slows someone down who would otherwise be speeding. But gently caress anyone who blocks lanes on purpose, or camps out in the fast lane.

Of course, that goes without saying.

I drive the speed limit, which is my way of setting a good example. And I don't need to block people or display sanctimonious bumper stickers on my car to show everyone that I'm a good driver. I do that by being a good and courteous driver.

Funny how that works :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Driving the speed limit doesn't work, because the lights are timed for traffic going 5-10 over the limit and if you stick to the posted speed you will get stopped at every single goddamn light.

I had a "malicious compliance" phase several years ago and it ended up annoying me more than anyone else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

xzzy posted:

Driving the speed limit doesn't work, because the lights are timed for traffic going 5-10 over the limit and if you stick to the posted speed you will get stopped at every single goddamn light.

I had a "malicious compliance" phase several years ago and it ended up annoying me more than anyone else.

Maybe it's different in the US, because here the lights seem to be timed perfectly for the speed limit.

I've never hit as many green lights in a row as I do now, trying to adhere to the speed limit as much as possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Not here. With light traffic, you can easily hit every green light going the speed limit.

The biggest problem is people not paying attention, and then accelerating at a loving snail's pace. That's what fucks up synchronization in moderate traffic here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rule 67: the person at the front of the line slowly creeping forward the whole red light will never accelerate appropriately when the light actually turns.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rule 67: the person at the front of the line slowly creeping forward the whole red light will never accelerate appropriately when the light actually turns.

Rule 67a: it will be a taxi. It's always a loving taxi.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PT6A posted:

Rule 67a: it will be a taxi. It's always a loving taxi.

Addendum: Or an Uber or a Lyft.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

around me it's usually a BMW or Mercedes SUV.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oddly enough, I've found that being behind a BMW, Mercedes or Audi (the bigger, the better) at a red light is preferable to just about any other make. They tend to take off at relatively higher speeds than other drivers. Tesla is on the list now as well, because holy poo poo those things can move from a standstill.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm in the suburbs so it's usually a soccer mom-type, and their tendency is to accelerate very slowly, but end up at 5-15 above the speed limit regardless.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I'm in the suburbs so it's usually a soccer mom-type, and their tendency is to accelerate very slowly, but end up at 5-15 above the speed limit regardless.

In my experience it's easy to tell who will do what based on how they pull away from a light. People who accelerate quickly will usually stop at the speed limit. People who crawl off the line tend to keep accelerating to over the speed limit. It was practically a natural law and using it to pick who to move behind at each light made a notice difference in my cross town commute. Cheap college kid sports cars and POS beaters tended to accelerate fast and speed while expensive old people cars like Mercedes and Lexus accelerated slow and went the speed limit.

Also only applies to in town travel with lights. I have never been able to establish good rules for highway traffic.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 16, 2018

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I pretty much fall into that, get up to speed quickly and generally don't do more than about 5 over, or the flow of traffic assuming it isn't pointless racing to the next red because idiots think it saves time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Well there it is! I could not be happier to be wrong lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

This drives me nuts when getting onto the highway. Guy in front of me is doing 50 in a 70 at the merge point, I speed up to 75 and move to the left lane to pass as he's still doing 60mph, as I get to his side he's now doing 71 so I wait to move over to the right to leave him room, but by the time there's enough room he's doing 76 and starting to close the gap, and half a mile down the road he's slowly passing me in the right lane while looking at his cellphone (probably) and I have to slow down and move over behind him so traffic doesn't get held up.

Just hit the loving gas pedal already.