Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
2 more weeks!!
Why did this game have to drop on the same day as dbfighterz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rascyc posted:

So many new players quit the game as soon as they touch the controls tbh, and I'm glad they haven't compromised on that design. If anything the moveset thing in the corner of the screen seems to be a game changer for some people I know.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with the control scheme is just where the attack buttons are. Having them on the up and right face buttons (Triangle/Circle or X/A) is so weird to me. I'm used to either left and up (Square/Triangle on a Dualshock) or shoulder buttons like in Dark Souls.

It finally clicked during the beta weekends, though, and now I have no problem with it at all. What's weird is that, even though I can cycle through items with the d-pad now, I actually started holding L1 and cycling through with Square/Circle without even thinking about it, even though I always found that awkward in the 3DS ones. It's like as soon as one aspect of MH controls clicked, everything else just fell into place.

The radial menu is super great, though. Really glad they added that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sefal posted:

2 more weeks!!
Why did this game have to drop on the same day as dbfighterz

I expect the DBFZ servers to be on fire for the first couple of days so I'll be playing this game instead.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk why you don't expect the MHW servers to also be on fire

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

If anything, it's more likely that MHW will be on fire and DBZF will be fine. Capcom and online game launch days do not have a good history.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Isn't Monster Hunter mostly peer-to-peer, though? Did Capcom spring for dedicated servers? I suppose the matchmaking server could be on fire.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Street Fighter V

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cat Machine posted:

Street Fighter V

had no money invested into it and Capcom was blatantly taking its fighting game fanbase for granted. MHW clearly has money in it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even if the online is completely unplayable, at least MonHun is arguably just as great offline as online.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

If anything, it's more likely that MHW will be on fire and DBZF will be fine. Capcom and online game launch days do not have a good history.

capcom has only one first shot at the mhw

expect mhw to work over dbzf

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Capcom's decision making over the last decade has been a raging trashfire so I wouldn't be shocked if the servers went down for some idiotic reason at launch.

There's also a fairly good chance World is the end of Monster Hunter considering how absurd their sales expectations are and how many eggs they put into its basket.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cat Machine posted:

DBZ is currently crashing and burning right now as we speak in its open beta so...........

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, changing the subject a bit.

So there's a lot of hype about World obviously. What's the vibe? Does it look like it's going to be an amazing game, or does it look like it's going to be an amazing game for fans of the monster hunter series? Because i sort of bounced off of 3 hard a few years ago.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ChrisBTY posted:

So there's a lot of hype about World obviously. What's the vibe? Does it look like it's going to be an amazing game, or does it look like it's going to be an amazing game for fans of the monster hunter series? Because i sort of bounced off of 3 hard a few years ago.

It really depends on why you bounced off thr series in the first place

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

They have gone leaps and bounds toward making the game extra accessible, beautiful, and functional. Everyone in this thread is super super pumped for it.

But it's still very much MoHun, and it matters why you bounced off of Tri. There's still no hard lock, still item management, still %-based drops needed for crafting even low-level gear, still needing to cook your raw meat in the wild. The weapons you played in Tri are still here, and still mostly do the same things. What most of us consider HUGE weapon QoL changes, a person who didn't already spend 200 hours with a weapon would consider subtle or maybe not even notice (eg, the lance move out of the guard poke or the GS shoulder tackle).

This is still the game where crafting the fire switch axe means breaking Qurupeco's nose several times in a row for a 1/5 chance at his beak to drop.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

More like...poo poo I had something for this...uh, Pushoverala Daora.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Saint Freak posted:

More like...poo poo I had something for this...uh, Pushoverala Daora.

What armor is that and how many fuckers do I need to murder for it? :stare:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

What part made you bounce off?

I wanted to get into the 3DS ones so I tried the demos for each one and it just never worked for me. But I've played the World demos/beta weekends and it really clicked this time. Controlling it with a real controller with easier camera control and the big, open environments really help me enjoy the game. Maybe I won't end up liking the core hunt monster -> craft new gear -> hunt bigger monster loop, but the core gameplay feels fantastic to me as someone who's never really gotten into it before.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

TaurusOxford posted:

Dunno. It's from this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH6A03GAi_k

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

It's Monster Hunter on a controller that doesn't cause extreme pain to my hands and actually has enough buttons and sticks to do what the game needs to do. That's all I've ever wanted.

That said, MH is very much like the Souls/Bloodborne series - you have to go into them knowing the first few hours are going to be rough and you have learning to do, but very rewarding if you get invested. My first real MH experience was the 4U demo, and it was awful. But I preserved and bought the game, read a lot of tutorials, and found my favorite weapon that clicked with me (hammer) and now I'm a convert.

Will this be the game that magically makes MH a mainstream series? Who knows for sure, but they've certainly (finally) made amazing efforts to make it more accessible without sacrificing depth. And we live in a world where the Souls games are incredibly popular, so anything is possible.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 15, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, it only shows Teostra and Nergigante clashing like we saw before, while Kushala gets tossed. I wonder if my idea I had is going to be right, that in fights Kushala will have the edge over Teostra (winds can blow away its blast dust and maybe even its fire), Teostra will beat Nergigante (explosions can hurt it through and blast off its spikes), and Nergigante will beat Kushala (just runs through and slams it down despite its wind and armor). I like the idea; it has a nice balance to it.

Alternatively, we're just going to get Nergigante clowning all the old monsters.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Roland Jones posted:

Alternatively, we're just going to get Nergigante clowning all the old monsters.

Only to lose to some kind of angry, lost pickle.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I hope a deviljho chomps on some people

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Saint Freak posted:

Only to lose to some kind of angry, lost pickle.

And I was beaten. Not sad about it though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I wanted to get into the 3DS ones so I tried the demos for each one and it just never worked for me. But I've played the World demos/beta weekends and it really clicked this time. Controlling it with a real controller with easier camera control and the big, open environments really help me enjoy the game. Maybe I won't end up liking the core hunt monster -> craft new gear -> hunt bigger monster loop, but the core gameplay feels fantastic to me as someone who's never really gotten into it before.

I think you'll be fine, as the "craft gear to hunt bigger monsters" aspect is oversold a bit. I've always just crafted the gear that either a) falls off the monsters I like hunting or b) if i get one of the lucky rare drops I might hunt that monster a couple more times to make something out of it. I really enjoy fighting brute wyverns and usually end up with all those sets just for running the fights for fun.

One of the best armor sets starting off is typically just made of mining materials. The only real gearcheck in the game is sharpness on your weapon, and unless you're bouncing off the monster every single hit, losing to the timer is still not your gear's fault.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of exploring the levels to fill out your map and meeting NPCs and stuff in this one so even if the servers are on fire I figure there'll be plenty to do.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Does the game even have dedicated servers? It's not just peer-to-peer?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Norns posted:

"Speaking with GameSpot, Tsujimoto also shared some big changes to the series, such as region free servers and a simultaneous worldwide release."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

TaurusOxford posted:

That's Legiana armor.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://youtu.be/rhus6-5wYVc

Odogaron is cool, as is monsters applying status effects to other monsters when they fight :D

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Darn

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Hot Topic Uragaan

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Rotten Vale has pretty rad music.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

TaurusOxford posted:

"Speaking with GameSpot, Tsujimoto also shared some big changes to the series, such as region free servers and a simultaneous worldwide release."

Does this actually imply servers, or does it just imply region free matchmaking, though? I highly doubt developers are precise when talking about things like this to journalists.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

It's "matchmaking" servers. Using that term loosely, mind you, since a server browser isn't really matchmaking. The servers host lobby lists, serve up the current event quests, and so on. Gameplay is P2P. Hubs might be server based this time, too, given the significantly higher player count and ties to the guild system.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Yeah, my primary point was just that a dev saying the word "servers" in an interview never really implies dedicated servers unless they very specifically say "yes, dedicated servers".

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, it only shows Teostra and Nergigante clashing like we saw before, while Kushala gets tossed. I wonder if my idea I had is going to be right, that in fights Kushala will have the edge over Teostra (winds can blow away its blast dust and maybe even its fire), Teostra will beat Nergigante (explosions can hurt it through and blast off its spikes), and Nergigante will beat Kushala (just runs through and slams it down despite its wind and armor). I like the idea; it has a nice balance to it.

It's just different portions of the clash, we don't see what the end of the Teo/Nerg one looks like while we're viewing the end of the Kushala/Nerg one. Given Nergigante's theme name and title (Fangs that Threaten Elder Dragons/Extinction Dragon) it's a safe assumption that he's slightly advantaged in the "regular" Elder matchups like Teo/Kushala/Kirin etc. Wouldn't give him much of a chance vs Alatreon but Alatreon will probably be sectioned off in his own arena due to his size so he probably doesn't clash with other monsters. That being said, Nerg shows up in the Zorah fight to some extent (whether it's cutscene only or what we have no idea) so who knows.

Norns posted:

Even if it's p2p you still have matchmaking and authentication servers which are usually the ones that poo poo the bed on launches anyways.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AttackBacon posted:

It's just different portions of the clash, we don't see what the end of the Teo/Nerg one looks like while we're viewing the end of the Kushala/Nerg one. Given Nergigante's theme name and title (Fangs that Threaten Elder Dragons/Extinction Dragon) it's a safe assumption that he's slightly advantaged in the "regular" Elder matchups like Teo/Kushala/Kirin etc. Wouldn't give him much of a chance vs Alatreon but Alatreon will probably be sectioned off in his own arena due to his size so he probably doesn't clash with other monsters. That being said, Nerg shows up in the Zorah fight to some extent (whether it's cutscene only or what we have no idea) so who knows.

Ah, wasn't aware of its title. Yeah, it's going to beat up all the non-Alatreon/Fatalis-level Elder Dragons then, probably. (Who I really hope get to leave their bespoke arenas finally, specifically because I want to see them wrecking other monsters. I know it's not likely, but I would love to see Alatreon just annihilating Kirin and Teostra and such. Or even just regular monsters. It's the first time it's possible, so let's see the Living Natural Disaster really wrecking some havoc.)

I wonder how the Kushala and Teostra clashes will go, then. My other thoughts there, if they didn't balance things, were that it wouldn't be set to always go one way like the others seem to; Gaijin Hunter mentioned the two having a sort of "rivalry", so if one always beats the other that will kind of settle that, or at least tilt it a particular way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

Basarios is generally where I bounce off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

3U was my first MH and Qurupeco nearly made me bounce, but one day it clicked for me and it was smooth sailing after that.