Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

The kit arrived today. I expected the hi-hats to be finicky I guess, but they're completely broken and aren't usable at all. I have to really press down hard for it to register the hats closed, and even then it's inconsistent. It's kind of astounding that they're still selling the product like this. Think I'm going to try to just use my old hat from the TD-4 for now and contact Alesis.

Generally the pads feel good and the module sounds are decent, not spectacular. Also after playing on a TD-4 for the past 6 or so years, I am soooo not used to a full size kit.

drat, that sucks to hear! Nothing more frustrating to try to play on than a non-responsive trigger. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah hosed up hi hat triggers in particular (don't make a triggered joke don't make a triggered joke) are especially frustrating/off-putting since I move those little jerks non stop in everything.

Hope you get a replacement tut suite

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It's like, jesus, it's hard enough to get my hands consistent, and now you're going to just randomly give me a FAIL every once in a few 16ths for seemingly no reason?? It's untenable!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm wondering if I should just start shopping around for some used VH-11s. All research seems to indicate that this is entirely a hardware issue and that the hats aren't great even when "working" properly.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I bought a cheap electronic set from a pawn shop to learn drums with and the kick pedal has no beater/pad. Is this going to be a huge deal? I'm sure I could swing buying a better pedal in the next few months but it won't be that big of a deal to practice with this one in the meantime will it?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Carmant posted:

I bought a cheap electronic set from a pawn shop to learn drums with and the kick pedal has no beater/pad. Is this going to be a huge deal? I'm sure I could swing buying a better pedal in the next few months but it won't be that big of a deal to practice with this one in the meantime will it?

No, it's the same as tapping sticks on your thighs and stepping on the ground; either way there's a slight adjustment to a real kit with the difference in rebound and pedals existing, but you get used to it in a couple seconds.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hey drummers and other professional swingers of blunt objects.

I know Japanese bands are all about the spectacle but is this real live playing or pre-recorded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

In your opinion anyway.

I know the business likes shortcuts when it comes to drums these days.

Katt fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 20, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
they're real but the kick's probably triggered (whatever) but yeah he's playing along.

Those vocals are canned as hell though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

No, it's the same as tapping sticks on your thighs and stepping on the ground; either way there's a slight adjustment to a real kit with the difference in rebound and pedals existing, but you get used to it in a couple seconds.

Another option is to get a practice pad for a bass pedal, assuming your e-kit has a way to clamp onto one. I've got a Gibralter that I had hooked up to my Rock Band kit for a few years and it seemed to hold up well. Would give you a much more realistic-feeling foot experience compared to pressing down on a naked pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TvLCaIZnvU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Katt posted:

I know Japanese bands are all about the spectacle but is this real live playing or pre-recorded?

In your opinion anyway.

They're all hired studio musicians, so it's live playing (with triggers on the bass drum as Duke Chin said). Despite how canned the vocals sound, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually being sung live...there's so much real-time processing going on on all the instruments, they're wearing in-ears, they're dancing and singing is so perfectly coordinated, and they actually are singers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I think most popular bands are triggering acoustic drums these days. Most setups I see have acoustic drums mic'ed up but the cables are fed into sequencers or Pro Tools where the triggers sound are then sent to the house PA.

I know for a fact that Rush did this on their last few tours.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'm biased because I really hate stadium size concerts but it's always so much better to watch a really great band perform based on their own live abilities. I get it that metal drummers really need those kick triggers because of the style and the fact that you're not going to get consistent hits at that speed. I guess for huge spectacles like Rush on tour, it's just easier to trigger everything and give the fans what they want. Probably less of a headache for the techs too.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Peart's always been into incorporating electronics with or into his kits and with how old and broken down he was getting on that last tour (or two) I wouldn't be shocked at all if they put in straight up triggered acoustic samples just due to velocity and average volume levels

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

He's a hard hitter anyway but I could tell he was pulling a few punches on the R40 tour. His drum tech does switch the sounds around a bit but he also has pedals and triggers hidden around the kit plus the drumKAT which replaces all of his bells and xylophone. And yeah, they are playing 20,000 seat arenas which have horrible acoustics.

This is an old video but it gives you an idea of where the triggers are and also what he sounds like raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNfDggYVlw

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Katt posted:

In your opinion anyway.

this video is so cringey

I guess I don't mind triggering as long as a live drummer is playing

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've been really missing my drums, barely played in the last five years. So I've been tossing some ideas around in my head about putting together a modest portable kit. I was originally looking at building something with a cajon as the kick and throne and just some goofy little percussion stuff, but that's silly and also I came across this on sale at L&M:

It's a SONOR Martini Kit. 14" kick, 13" floor, 8" rack, 12" snare. No hardware, but I have that from my larger SONOR kit in storage. I'm looking for something I can jam D&B/Jungle and other groovy breakbeat stuff and wondering if a kit like this is appropriate or if I'll end up disappointed. I still plan on adding a bunch of goofy little percussion stuff, and probably at least one other snare.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 23, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks fun to me, I say go for it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes...... Come in to the drum thread to ask us idiots if you think you should buy the shiny new drumset. :v:

(If you haven't bought them yet you're a jerk)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
The thread has been quiet lately so here have a song from last night's practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDiMkeRe4A
Such lovely audio from that gopro plug-in microphone... really adds a lot of something to those drum tones.
and that something is "cardboard poo poo"

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
As an absolute beginner drummer (a little over 3 months now), I find this extremely helpful! Actually earlier today I was listened to some Post-Hardcore and kept wondering how one would do something similar to the above video. Given my skill level, I'm still working on developing fundamentals and good technique ('Stick Control For the Snare Drummer' etc) so toms don't get much use yet, asides from basic fills.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kryopsis posted:

As an absolute beginner drummer (a little over 3 months now), I find this extremely helpful! Actually earlier today I was listened to some Post-Hardcore and kept wondering how one would do something similar to the above video. Given my skill level, I'm still working on developing fundamentals and good technique ('Stick Control For the Snare Drummer' etc) so toms don't get much use yet, asides from basic fills.

I can't really tell what's going on with the bass drum cuz cell phone speakers + the camera angle means I can't cheat, but here's the general groove.

Sorry it's handwritten, I hosed up my laptop last night installing Razer's synapse software and I can't single left click anymore :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu9e4h5yq78ytgc/IMAG0046.jpg?dl=0

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I bought a travel cajon last time I was in the US, and brought it back with me. I also got the Hal Leonard cajon method book. It was like 50 dollars all told, and fun to play with so far. I know this mini travel thing isn't a "serious instrument" but I expect it will be fun for jamming and possibly songwriting. I had been looking into a second instrument (I've been playing guitar right around a year) and this might be it. After a few months learning the ropes with the small travel cajon, if I'm still digging it, I'm going to go ahead and build a real one. Buying one would be too expensive where I live due to import taxes and shipping costs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well, I didn't get the SONOR Martini kit, L&M was out of stock. They did happen to have a barely-used Ludwig Breakbeat kit though so I snatched that up. I'm going to go back there with some of my old cymbals tomorrow, pick up some bells and whistles and sticks, and begin terrorizing the neighbourhood.

Oh yeah, I also bought a bass.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Nice brear end :pervert: I picked up a used axe about a year ago that's been largely gathering dust in my drum studio, should really work out a schedule so I pick it up at least once a week or something.

Drums and bass go together obviously, even with basically no stringed instrument experience I was able to thunk out some basic beginner exercises just because I didn't have to think too much about keeping time with my right hand. Now if only I could play bass... like a real man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpdTHpnJ4Y
:allears:
(Just to make this somewhat percussion related, John Wright is also one of my favorite drummers for his tom work.)

cbehnen9
Apr 1, 2011
Hi everyone,

I don't post often so I hope this is in the right spot. Anyway, I am looking to buy some electronics to supplement my live gigs, and so far it seems a lot of drummers I know are fans of the Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad.

Any other recommendations?

And I know I am not giving you much to go on. At this point I'm a pretty typical luddite of a drummer, so I don't really even know exactly what I want/need. I'm just getting started with looking into this stuff.

Thanks!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I haven’t tested either drums, but Yamaha also has a sampling pad in its DTX series. I remember it having a pretty neat companion app on iOS as well.

We’re coming up on NAMM season, so there is a chance for updated devices in late January if you don’t need one right away.

Edit:
Roland has six pads plus three edge zones.
Yamaha has six pads plus six edge zones.
The ‘budget option’ Alesis Samplepad Pro has six pads plus two edges.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2017

cbehnen9
Apr 1, 2011
Good call re: NAMM

Many thanks

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

cbehnen9 posted:

Hi everyone,

I don't post often so I hope this is in the right spot. Anyway, I am looking to buy some electronics to supplement my live gigs, and so far it seems a lot of drummers I know are fans of the Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad.

Any other recommendations?

And I know I am not giving you much to go on. At this point I'm a pretty typical luddite of a drummer, so I don't really even know exactly what I want/need. I'm just getting started with looking into this stuff.

Thanks!

I think they are a good start but they are pretty basic with the presets, kinda remind me of early consumer model synths like the Casio SK1. What are you looking to trigger? You can get things like DrumKat which really open up your world. https://www.alternatemode.com/cart/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=drumkat

cbehnen9
Apr 1, 2011

Bonzo posted:

I think they are a good start but they are pretty basic with the presets, kinda remind me of early consumer model synths like the Casio SK1. What are you looking to trigger? You can get things like DrumKat which really open up your world. https://www.alternatemode.com/cart/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=drumkat

Initially I'd be looking to trigger alternate snare sounds, and other noises to embellish and accent. And although that might sound rudimentary, I'm looking for gear that will give me a wide range of possibilities, because I have a feeling that once I get into this world I'll want my gear to allow for lots of room for growth, so to speak. I'm not really looking to spend thousands of dollars, but I also don't want to buy something that limits me to a point that I'll want or even need to upgrade a year later.

God, I'm really rambling today, so I hope that made some semblance of sense.

Thanks for the info!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
All three devices are sampling pads, so the factory presets don’t matter that much. The point is to customize them.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Bonzo posted:

He's a hard hitter anyway but I could tell he was pulling a few punches on the R40 tour. His drum tech does switch the sounds around a bit but he also has pedals and triggers hidden around the kit plus the drumKAT which replaces all of his bells and xylophone. And yeah, they are playing 20,000 seat arenas which have horrible acoustics.

This is an old video but it gives you an idea of where the triggers are and also what he sounds like raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNfDggYVlw

This video is a gem. They should always have war planes flying above him that he has to play over. That's intense hard-hitting drumming meeting perfect precision, creativity, and enough thinking to make us all look good. And apparently they make electronic pads and triggers that can withstand getting smacked that loving hard!

I'm a hard hitter and love the drums to be big and open. This is great. I love how high up his heel is. He's crushing that bass drum. Awesome.

Like it's the kind of bass drum smashing that breaks your shell before busting through a 2-ply head.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

fartzone_42069 posted:

This video is a gem. They should always have war planes flying above him that he has to play over. That's intense hard-hitting drumming meeting perfect precision, creativity, and enough thinking to make us all look good. And apparently they make electronic pads and triggers that can withstand getting smacked that loving hard!

I'm a hard hitter and love the drums to be big and open. This is great. I love how high up his heel is. He's crushing that bass drum. Awesome.

Like it's the kind of bass drum smashing that breaks your shell before busting through a 2-ply head.

I know, right? That bass drum must be nailed down. I like that when he opens the hats his foot comes completely off the pedal, not just raised a little. I'm a hard hitter too and it stems from being in my first bands in the 80s, with no drum mics, and everyone around me has 100 watt Marshall stacks.

I seems to remember pads back being not that sensitive so you almost had to smack the poo poo out of them to make sure that they triggered.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
As I wrote before in the thread, I'm a beginner drummer.

I've been trying to learn how to play 'London Calling' and while I can currently play the four different grooves as well as transition between them, I'm having trouble figuring out the number of measures for each.

Originally I started with this music sheet but there were some errors in the transcription and these dal segno/coda patterns do not make any sense to me. I listened to a 'drums only' edit of the song posted on YouTube and tried to count the measures myself, but I was getting some really odd results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCmHKZsMO8

For instance, in the first minute or so of the song, I counted 11 measures of A, followed by a roll, followed by 8 measures of B, then 8 measures of C, and then... the D groove repeated 6 times followed by the first measure of D again? And then B for 10 measures? That can't be right.

Halp!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kryopsis posted:

As I wrote before in the thread, I'm a beginner drummer.

I've been trying to learn how to play 'London Calling' and while I can currently play the four different grooves as well as transition between them, I'm having trouble figuring out the number of measures for each.

Originally I started with this music sheet but there were some errors in the transcription and these dal segno/coda patterns do not make any sense to me. I listened to a 'drums only' edit of the song posted on YouTube and tried to count the measures myself, but I was getting some really odd results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCmHKZsMO8

For instance, in the first minute or so of the song, I counted 11 measures of A, followed by a roll, followed by 8 measures of B, then 8 measures of C, and then... the D groove repeated 6 times followed by the first measure of D again? And then B for 10 measures? That can't be right.

Halp!

It's all eight measure phrases, except there's one extra during the lyric "by the river", and the last phrase is only four measures.

I can transcribe the whole thing accurately and make it way easier to read than the one you linked for 0.25$ per active frame (a measure with notes, articulations and dynamics, and lyrics are all active frames).

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Rockband Expert drum charts are accurate enough for most modern songs, and there are tons of videos of them available for free on YouTube. The vast majority of 'drum-only' tracks of famous songs come from Rockband and later Guitar Hero titles.

Learn from charts whenever possible, but there are other options.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I’m a new drummer and have started playing with a band that is getting ready for our first show. We have a set list that we’ve practiced enough to where I pretty much remember what I do on the drums for every song. I’d like to improve on this and learn drum notation so I can write down the beats and song structure and stop relying entirely on memory. Is there a book that can show me how to do that?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Remembering is probably better than reading, unless you have to be completely exact and are having trouble remembering that much detail.

But in general if you can read it you should be able to write it, as long as you know what you're playing.

What style of music is it?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Remembering is probably better than reading, unless you have to be completely exact and are having trouble remembering that much detail.

But in general if you can read it you should be able to write it, as long as you know what you're playing.

What style of music is it?

I don't have to be completely exact, but my memory isn't the greatest so sometimes I'll come up with a beat that fits the song really well (especially hi-hat and cymbal accents) and I'm sure I'm forgotten some cool stuff.

And we're playing shoegaze, it's definitely nothing complicated. Mostly a lot of slow buildup, so a lot of cymbal work.

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns

terre packet posted:

I’m a new drummer and have started playing with a band that is getting ready for our first show. We have a set list that we’ve practiced enough to where I pretty much remember what I do on the drums for every song. I’d like to improve on this and learn drum notation so I can write down the beats and song structure and stop relying entirely on memory. Is there a book that can show me how to do that?

Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone is a good resource for learning to associate how rhythms look with how they sound. Nearly everything boils down to groups of 16th notes or triplets, and there's only a few possible combinations of hits and rests in a given beat of (4) 16th notes. This site has a good image showing the options http://www.authenticdrummer.com/article-16th-note-variations/. These are your words, and you use them to build sentences.

Basically you'll always have the same number of subdivisions for every "pulse" of the beat where you would tap your foot to stay in time. Associating how the different combinations of hits and rests sound with how they look will get you on your way to transcribing them. I highly recommend you take a few drum lessons. A good teacher can easily make this clear to you.

All of this is based around being able to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

Here's a basic legend to get you started. A good rule of thumb is that if you play it with your feet the stem starts on the left side of the notehead and goes down, if you play it with your hands it starts on the right side and goes up.

Here's an example

If you get comfortable writing your parts out but want to learn more, I recommend Norman Weinberg's book The PAS Guide to Standardized Drumset Notation.

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 16, 2018