Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDzoAN7FsE

lmao the trump thread is so mad about her running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'm not asking for full on policy report -- just, like, enough to flesh out an "on the issues" webpage or something so that people can check "hey, what's Manning's position on Medicare for All" without having to trawl back through a year's worth of tweets.

Agreed.

You know what would be cool? if we could stop arguing about people who haven't even filed or really started to campaign and instead reflected on today celebrating MLK, his legacy, his impact on US Politics and all the work that's left to do.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

self unaware posted:

funny how you frame it as if its the left that are unwilling to compromise

I'm talking to the left, and *you* are talking about how you are unwilling to compromise. What am I meant to conclude?

In most circumstances I'd describe myself as "on the left" but I understand that on SA, "the left" means waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more left than I'm interested in. The ideal seems to be a cross between the French terror and the Russian revolution, not really what I would like to see. It's hard to compromise between "I'd like to see generous social welfare, gun control and well-funded schools" and "I'd like to see the rich with their heads on pikes and society on fire." There really isn't a whole lot of common ground there.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
whether or not you think chelsea manning is a good person who has a history of good actions is probably the single best litmus test you can give someone who's "in to" politics to determine whether or not they are worth listening to

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkDzoAN7FsE

lmao the trump thread is so mad about her running

thanks for the report.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm talking to the left, and *you* are talking about how you are unwilling to compromise. What am I meant to conclude?

That you need to join the left or resign yourself to facism.

Choose wisely

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

In most circumstances I'd describe myself as "on the left" but I understand that on SA, "the left" means waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more left than I'm interested in. The ideal seems to be a cross between the French terror and the Russian revolution, not really what I would like to see. It's hard to compromise between "I'd like to see generous social welfare, gun control and well-funded schools" and "I'd like to see the rich with their heads on pikes and society on fire." There really isn't a whole lot of common ground there.

Lmao if you don't want to see rich people's heads paraded around on spikes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

the man busily explaining how Chelsea Manning is insufficiently pure for his taste is very confident the left's intransigence is the problem

neat

self unaware posted:

Choose wisely

this is unfortunately 100% accurate. you have seen what centrist liberalism, given every advantage, and the opponent it most desired to face, resulted in: the presidency of Donald Trump.

those are your two options, here. there is not a third.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

We can, but it's a "we'll do it if we have to" sort of thing. Supporting a candidate based on compatible values is way, way better, because:

. . .
So that's the key - until people see evidence otherwise, Manning has done enough that even without policy proposals people trust her. That is actually worth something, that actually matters. The trust might be misplaced! If so, it hopefully comes out.

Until then, we're gonna get poo poo like this, lmao.

Yeah, that's a fair argument (and I agreed with it when Steinrokkan posted a similar point before).

The problem is that having strong solid values in one area isn't necessarily indicative of strong values in other areas. The classic example here is John McCain, who was a war hero and certainly brave, but also absolute poo poo in his policy positions ninety five percent of the time (and the remaining five percent were mostly stopped clock events where he was right for the wrong reasons).

Manning's a great candidate on a lot of issues for precisely the reasons you mention. But there are a lot of public policy issues that don't intersect with her personal history at all (for example, Medicare for All). I can't look at her past history of behavior and demonstrated character and just intuit that she's going to support Medicare for All, a universal basic income, marijuana legalization, or any number of other issues (especially domestic policy issues).

That said, as I've said above, I'm not against Manning's candidacy either. I just think it's premature to start throwing other leftists into the "enemy" camp just because they haven't yet been persuaded that Manning is an ideal candidate.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Yeah, I'm not asking for full on policy report -- just, like, enough to flesh out an "on the issues" webpage or something so that people can check "hey, what's Manning's position on Medicare for All" without having to trawl back through a year's worth of tweets.

No offense but since people have posted tweets about her policy positions the fact that you keep hammering on this smacks of :decorum:. Now the fact that she doesnt have a website is bad, but thats an issue of poor campaigning and not 'hasnt said any policy positions'.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Koalas March posted:

You know what would be cool? if we could stop arguing about people who haven't even filed or really started to campaign and instead reflected on today celebrating MLK, his legacy, his impact on US Politics and all the work that's left to do.

Do you really want this thread to start arguing about MLK? I've got some genuine doubts as to how well that would go.

Personally speaking I think I'm gonna keep my celebrating MLK and his legacy to other environments not based around making GBS threads on other posters... but I guess I could spend the rest of today in those places instead of here. That's actually a pretty good idea.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

self unaware posted:

Choose wisely

That's not really the way history goes. Plenty of societies out there that are neither communist (which is I think what you guys mean by "the left", not Canada or Sweden etc) nor fascist.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The best timeline is one in which senator Manning reads privileged information into the public record a la Mike Gravel with the pentagon papers. The mass casualties due to republican heads exploding alone will be a net good for the country.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That said, as I've said above, I'm not against Manning's candidacy either. I just think it's premature to start throwing other leftists into the "enemy" camp just because they haven't yet been persuaded that Manning is an ideal candidate.

I feel known posting histories are a relevant factor here.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you really want this thread to start arguing about MLK? I've got some genuine doubts as to how well that would go.

MLK believed in democracy and changing, rather than destroying, society. I'm sure the recommendation of the thread would be the guillotine.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

white sauce posted:

Lmao if you don't want to see rich people's heads paraded around on spikes

Ummm... no. I don't want to see that, Mr Robespierre. Guilty as charged! Book me a spot on the next purge.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boon shits all over us every chance he gets, often with a paternalistic backseat modding tone, so it's understandable that you might think he's actually got some good faith concerns about Manning, but trust me, he doesn't, he's just very mad that the left likes her because he hates the left.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MLK believed in democracy and changing, rather than destroying, society. I'm sure the recommendation of the thread would be the guillotine.

MLK hated people like btw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Communist Zombie posted:

No offense but since people have posted tweets about her policy positions the fact that you keep hammering on this smacks of :decorum:. Now the fact that she doesnt have a website is bad, but thats an issue of poor campaigning and not 'hasnt said any policy positions'.

I think I've addressed that.

Partly it's that this conversation is lagging and there are like twenty new posts happening while I type each one of mine, plus I'm getting attacked for earlier posts I made before those tweets got posted, so some of what I'm saying is in the context of those earlier conversations, etc..

Also as I've said before I think tweets are kinda bullshit inherently. Maybe that makes me an old man but after the past year I'm really loving sick of policy by tweet and I'd be happier if all of twitter died in a fire.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 15, 2018

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Can we not start talking about how MLK totally would've supported my side of this internet argument?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Boon shits all over us every chance he gets, often with a paternalistic backseat modding tone, so it's understandable that you might think he's actually got some good faith concerns about Manning, but trust me, he doesn't, he's just very mad that the left likes her because he hates the left.

:rolleyes:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd be happier if all of twitter died in a fire.
A correct opinion ITT.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Manning's a great candidate on a lot of issues for precisely the reasons you mention. But there are a lot of public policy issues that don't intersect with her personal history at all (for example, Medicare for All). I can't look at her past history of behavior and demonstrated character and just intuit that she's going to support Medicare for All, a universal basic income, marijuana legalization, or any number of other issues (especially domestic policy issues).

How does MFA not intersect with her personal history of homelessness and personal history of an inability to receive medical care?

Why is the presumption she doesn't really believe in MFA or Black Lives Matters?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Twitter is cool cause it lets me connect with other black folks while I am stuck living in poverty surrounded by the whitest people on planet earth in East Nashville

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do you deny any of that?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Personally speaking I think I'm gonna keep my celebrating MLK and his legacy to other environments not based around making GBS threads on other posters... but I guess I could spend the rest of today in those places instead of here. That's actually a pretty good idea.

Ironically the Trump thread and (of course, the lovely, beautiful and unapologetically black) Negrotown are doing just fine. I know USPol has a reputation for being terrible but daaamn. MLK Day should be considered an important day for any activist or leftist ally. It's a perfect topic for this thread.

but I mean that would assume more the majority of white 'allies' here actually gave a gently caress.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

The problem is that having strong solid values in one area isn't necessarily indicative of strong values in other areas. The classic example here is John McCain, who was a war hero and certainly brave, but also absolute poo poo in his policy positions ninety five percent of the time (and the remaining five percent were mostly stopped clock events where he was right for the wrong reasons).

Manning put herself at risk and (arguably) broke the law to Do the Right Thing, which not only went against her job but also showed strong moral/ethical values. McCain was just doing his job, he did it very well and was permently disabled by it but that doesnt say anything about how strong his morals or ethics are. Doug Jones would be a better example, a civil rights lawyer in Alabama during the sixties yet didnt campaign abouy that for fear of driving away 'white moderates' and said hed be willing to work with republicans on the budget.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trabisnikof posted:

How does MFA not intersect with her personal history of homelessness and personal history of an inability to receive medical care?
[/quote]

Because she hasn't taken public stands? I know what her position on government accountability is because of her actions. You can't infer that someone supports UBI just because they've been homeless.

quote:

Why is the presumption she doesn't really believe in MFA or Black Lives Matters?

I don't think anything I've said even implies either of those presumptions; I certainly never intended any such implication or presumption.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Twitter is cool cause it lets me connect with other black folks while I am stuck living in poverty surrounded by the whitest people on planet earth in East Nashville

same except the border of Detroit/whitesville

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

experiencing hardships doesn't always make someone a champion of ending those hardships for everyone. Not saying this is the case with her, mind you.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

I think I've addressed that.

Partly it's that this conversation is lagging and there are like twenty new posts happening while I type each one of mine, plus I'm getting attacked for earlier posts I made before those tweets got posted, so some of what I'm saying is in the context of those earlier conversations, etc..

That is totally fair yea.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

Can we not start talking about how MLK totally would've supported my side of this internet argument?

If MLK was a revolutionary communist, he'd have been a revolutionary communist in 1960, as well. That's not saying "MLK agrees with me." That's just reading his Wikipedia page to know that he wasn't a revolutionary communist.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

man grasped the principles of good cop/bad cop, which was why the white moderate proudly proclaimed him someone who wanted society on fire and all the heads of white people on pikes, who needed to be shunned at all costs. consider the wisdom of William F. Buckley, explaining how because King preached civil disobedience, he probably had getting shot coming.

there is a lesson in there for all of us. particularly in how blatantly the same people who proclaimed him a monster and an enemy suddenly were okay with him all along, once he was safely dead and incapable of disrupting their precious norms any longer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm excited for Manning because I know where stands since I've followed her on twitter for awhile. Maybe Debbie Wilson is good, but I know nothing about her. Either way I cant vote in MD.

I just get to watch Steve King coast to another victory. :smith:

Koalas March posted:

"For the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house."

This lady seems cool. I'll check her out.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

experiencing hardships doesn't always make someone a champion of ending those hardships for everyone. Not saying this is the case with her, mind you.

In absolute fairness, yeah, this can't be stressed enough.

There's no shortage of people who escaped terrible conditions with the mindset of "I'm never living like that again" versus one of "No one should have to live like that."

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Ironically the Trump thread and (of course, the lovely, beautiful and unapologetically black) Negrotown are doing just fine. I know USPol has a reputation for being terrible but daaamn. MLK Day should be considered an important day for any activist or leftist ally. It's a perfect topic for this thread.

but I mean that would assume more the majority of white 'allies' here actually gave a gently caress.

I like Malcolm X more than MLK :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because she hasn't taken public stands? I know what her position on government accountability is because of her actions. You can't infer that someone supports UBI just because they've been homeless.

She has taken a public stand in favor of MFA but you've declared you don't like it because:

1. It was on twitter and twitter is bad.
2. She said it before she declared and thus wasn't trying to score political points, this is somehow bad.
3. You can't believe her because her personal experiences aren't convincing enough for you

sounds like you're just coming up with excuses at this point

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

In absolute fairness, yeah, this can't be stressed enough.

There's no shortage of people who escaped terrible conditions with the mindset of "I'm never living like that again" versus one of "No one should have to live like that."

see also the angle of one Richard Dawkins, Supergenius, proclaiming "oh come on, I got over being molested as a child, why can't everyone"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

white sauce posted:

Malcolm X deserves a federal holiday, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

white sauce posted:

Black people aren't in a competition for your likes and dislikes

• Locked thread