Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a way to get to the now playing app without having the audio auto launch setting enabled?

Press the side button and it should be there (the button that isn't the crown, I dunno what it's called)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
You can also set Now Playing as a larger complication on some faces. I use it as the central one on Modular sometimes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Press the side button and it should be there (the button that isn't the crown, I dunno what it's called)

Yeah thats how I get to it. Its normally like the first or second card if something is playing.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Tenterhooks posted:

You can also set Now Playing as a larger complication on some faces. I use it as the central one on Modular sometimes.

I really wish there was a small complication as well. I really don't care what song is playing I'd just like a simple play/pause button on the face I can tap when someone comes over to bug me while I'm working.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

spaced ninja posted:

I really wish there was a small complication as well. I really don't care what song is playing I'd just like a simple play/pause button on the face I can tap when someone comes over to bug me while I'm working.

It used to be like that before watchOS 3. Now, it's all hosed up, and the only way to recreate that convenience (without resorting to using one of the few watch faces with a large complication slot) is to buy AirPods. What a coincidence!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watch OS4 and ios11 are the holy pair of dog poo poo Apple releases. It sucks you can't downgrade your watch OS or I would have gone back to OS3+ios10 when they were still being signed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So to confirm you can store music locally on your watch--as well as back up music via apple music if you have a subscription to listen to without a connection?

I'm really invested into spotify so not being able to backup playlist is a bummer but if you can simply backup songs to the watch a la the clip-on ipod nano and listen via bluetooth headphones then that should work well enough.

Does anyone feel the cellular option is not worth it or is the convenience too nice? I'm not exactly a power user or businessman but the basic functionality and principle still seems cool. $10/month isn't a lot but eh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So to confirm you can store music locally on your watch--as well as back up music via apple music if you have a subscription to listen to without a connection?

Umm I have no idea how it works without Apple Music but the way it works if you have a subscription is you can sync playlists to the watch. It's also SUPPOSED to auto-sync whatever you listen to frequently when your watch is charging but I've found it extremely unreliable lately.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

if I'm understanding correctly locally saved files on an itunes playlist on your computer can be backed up to the watch sans apple music...?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

if I'm understanding correctly locally saved files on an itunes playlist on your computer can be backed up to the watch sans apple music...?
No. Replace “computer” with “iPhone” and you’re connect. There is no connection at all between the watch and a computer, every configuration-type thing on the Watch is done through your phone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah what WithoutTheFezOn says, I don't think you can access ANYTHING on your watch through a Mac

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By the way, you should have roughly 4 GB free for music on the watch. Plus or minus, depending on what else you load, like apps and pictures. On an S1 at least, not sure if newer ones have more storage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sorry I meant when you have poo poo backed up to your computer and iphone for local music listening via itunes, not loading poo poo from your PC > watch. I only use itunes for music management of songs on my phone so sorry for the confusion

so without apple music if I have music saved locally to my iphone I can save that music to my watch and say go for a run without my phone and listen via BT?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 23, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

Edit: Technically the last time I did it without an Apple Music sub, I did have an iTunes Match sub, but I can’t imagine that mattered.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 23, 2018

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Does the apple watch need a screen protector? I'm paranoid the screen is going to scratch.

If so, can anyone recommend one? Amazon reviews are hit and miss.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Does the apple watch need a screen protector? I'm paranoid the screen is going to scratch.

I had a first gen for nearly 2 years and only had minor scratches on it. That’s with working out 4 days a week and having a job that was mainly out doors.

So no it does not need one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

In most people’s everyday lives, should be fine.

The caveat is if you have particular work or recreational environments that might put it at risk. Like I go to a rock climbing gym regularly and have found out the walls can scratch sapphire and DLC coatings :downs:. When I climb now I use a case thing with sufficient lip around the screen (mostly cause I’ve cracked a screen due to impact too :suicide:) but no screen protector. I have a few minor scrathes that I don’t really notice or care about.

In any case figure out if you might want one in the first place, then just scour online shops and read reviews for a while. There’s a billion cheap options out there (...albeit nothing really matched what I was looking for).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does the camera app on the watch suck so much rear end?

Like 50% of the time the thing doesn’t even load right. Also why can’t we use it to start a video recording?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was gifted a space grey series 3 + cell at a work function. Killer present in my opinion, so I’m happy with it and I’m keeping it. Some questions I have because I have followed this technology absolutely none and never expected to have one:

-It’s a 38mm and I’m a guy. That being said, my wrists are probably in the bottom 3% as far as size goes for healthy humans. I just have naturally tiny wrists and ankles, so this fits me perfectly. I’m assuming these watches are all unisex and after trying on my coworkers 42 I’m glad I got the smaller one. Will I be the only guy ever with one?

-How the heck does the WiFi work? If it’s within Bluetooth distance of my phone, is it leeching my phones WiFi or connecting on its own? What about on things like hotel or secure WiFi where a code or login was required? Does my phone naturally share WiFi passwords with my watch and are they saved for when my phone isn’t around? The whole flowchart of when and where this thing gets it’s data is confusing to my thirty something farty brain.

-I’m not on an unlimited plan, should I give up now on that working out and upgrade now that my wrist is yet another internet thing?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

-It’s a 38mm and I’m a guy. That being said, my wrists are probably in the bottom 3% as far as size goes for healthy humans. I just have naturally tiny wrists and ankles, so this fits me perfectly. I’m assuming these watches are all unisex and after trying on my coworkers 42 I’m glad I got the smaller one. Will I be the only guy ever with one?

Hello thin-wristed friend. No, you won't be the only guy.

I don't know the answer to your #2, but for #3, you should probably wait. See if you actually need to enable the mobile network before doing so. It's kind of rare for most people to be out and about without their phones, so it's rarely an added value.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, wear whichever you like.

In most cases, the watch only uses WiFi to connect to your iphone, and only if the BT connection cant work. This may help https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562.

There are some things the watch can do on WiFi/LTE that don’t require your phone, this page lists them https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

Can’t help you on the data plan advice.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Rolo posted:

Yes and you are objectively less of a man if you wear it.

I have the exact same watch. It rules.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

-How the heck does the WiFi work? If it’s within Bluetooth distance of my phone, is it leeching my phones WiFi or connecting on its own? What about on things like hotel or secure WiFi where a code or login was required? Does my phone naturally share WiFi passwords with my watch and are they saved for when my phone isn’t around? The whole flowchart of when and where this thing gets it’s data is confusing to my thirty something farty brain.

-I’m not on an unlimited plan, should I give up now on that working out and upgrade now that my wrist is yet another internet thing?

your phone shares wifi connection information with your watch, so that if you walk away from your phone and BT disconnects, it can use those networks to talk to the phone. Earlier WatchOS had an issue where the watch would hop on odd networks with captive logins that didn't work, but that was apparently fixed.

don't worry about your data plan. you're not watching HD netflix streams on your wrist.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Rolo posted:

Mine is a 38. I too have princess wrists. We need a support group.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
38 is fine for men with salad arms. 42s seem gigantic. Only way I’d get a 42 is if the actual body got a decent amount smaller

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

zelah posted:

38 is fine for men with salad arms. 42s seem gigantic. Only way I’d get a 42 is if the actual body got a decent amount smaller

42 is comically small compared to the monstrosities watch people are wearing nowadays.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah 42 was a tiny bit of a downsize from my daily watch when I first got mine but it just seems right now. I imagine the same feeling goes along with the 38.

jk when I spot people with the 38 I shove them into a trash can

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish my 42mm was a little bigger. But I'm not a tiny child, so I have normal man-sized wrists

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I got the Watch and while it's nice I am having trouble justifying the price. I am thinking about returning it. What do you guys really like about having a Watch?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I like the activity tracking and that I don’t have to carry my phone around the house. I’d probably spring for the cellular version and leave my phone at home a lot if it worked on my carrier and was a little cheaper a month than it is. I could actually see owning only a watch and not having a phone at all once voice assistants get better.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

nervana posted:

I got the Watch and while it's nice I am having trouble justifying the price. I am thinking about returning it. What do you guys really like about having a Watch?

I like the fitness tracking features a lot. I actually didn’t even consider those functions initially - I bought it for more of the notification and phone integration poo poo. I also like that it unlocks my computer though I sometimes feel a little :tinfoil: paranoid about that.

As I’ve told friends/family, the Apple Watch is definitely not a must buy but it has a lot of neat integrations. I bought mine on sale and am happy with it. I’d probably get another.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4.2.2 seems to have fixed the crippling slowdown starting a workout and opening music on my Series 2 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

Thank you Apple for finally releasing the good OS

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4.2.2 seems to have fixed the crippling slowdown starting a workout and opening music on my Series 2
Oh poo poo, I gotta get this. That occasional 8 second wait is horrible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The one thing I still hate about the watch is how slow the home app is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The one thing I still hate about the watch is how slow the home app is.

:same:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oh poo poo, I gotta get this. That occasional 8 second wait is horrible.

Music still takes a few seconds to open but once it's active , it isn't a stuttery mess. Same with Workout.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did my first swimming workout when I was swimming with my kids this weekend. It’s cool as hell that it tells you how far you went with each stroke.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I did my first swimming workout when I was swimming with my kids this weekend. It’s cool as hell that it tells you how far you went with each stroke.

I did my first one last week too! The strokes thing is very cool

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait what

The future is cool sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wait what

The future is cool sometimes

It is insanely accurate, I'm looking at a swim I did on Tuesday with four different strokes and I can attest to the numbers being bang on.