Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started leveling German cruisers and jesus loving christ I want to murder pubbies. The "bunch of pussy assholes doing slow donuts 20 KM away from the enemy and preferably behind two islands" problem is so much worse and the Karlsruhe can't exactly win games solo.

So I'm doing a lot of damage and still losing constantly because 2/3 of my team thinks that "hide in the furthest corner away from the enemy" is a winning strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Is the information in the OP up to date? I just downloaded this and am about to play it for the very first time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Karma Comedian posted:

Is the information in the OP up to date? I just downloaded this and am about to play it for the very first time.

Yes it is. If you're on NA, you can use this code before reaching service record level 3 (basically make your way through a bunch of tutorials and the like), you get free stuff now, and more free stuff the first time you drive a tier 5 ship, and I get free stuff as well I'm doing it out of the goodness of my heart.

e: The OP isn't 100% up to date, ie we do have clan wars now, but all the important parts for new players are still accurate

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 14, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo do I hate these campaign missions. For some reason, kill 1 dd and win shouldn't be an insurmountable thing, today is sure is.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Super easy in coop

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Victor Surge posted:

Super easy in coop

Would be nice if I could do these destroyer missions in co-op.

This final mission for the Duke of York may just kill the game for me. I don't even particularly want it, but of course the 2nd campaign was gated by it. I don't play dd's and the torpedo game isn't very fun for me, so the work so far was for nothing and it's going to expire. I have a pretty high tolerance for pay schemes, hell i played Archeage, but this is a pretty bitter taste and I am assuming all the campaigns will be like this.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
90k torp damage mission is hard. You know you can repeat missions for stars right?/

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Herr Bazooka posted:

90k torp damage mission is hard. You know you can repeat missions for stars right?/

I'm so glad someone pointed this out earlier to me otherwise I'd probably still be chasing high caliber.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yes I know that. I could eventually get it by repeating the 75k exp and 11 torp missions, and if it wasn't time gated that's what I would do. But I'm not going to spend my long weekend treating the game like a job, running ships that I don't enjoy. And then all that would do is open up the campaign with no time to run it.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

The last set of missions is really bad, yeah.

I ground it out in my minotaur and giulio cesare while watching AGDQ and it must have taken me like 50+ drat games. At least I can confidently say that the GC is a stupidly OP ship, like almost nikolai tier.

Now I'll have to see if I can even be bothered to do the other campaign.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Yes I know that. I could eventually get it by repeating the 75k exp and 11 torp missions, and if it wasn't time gated that's what I would do. But I'm not going to spend my long weekend treating the game like a job, running ships that I don't enjoy. And then all that would do is open up the campaign with no time to run it.
I personally went for 90k damage mission, completed it three times while spending my time in mostly ineffective ship and I still didnt make 75k exp. If you have high tier destroyer or CV you might want to try go for 90k mission to complete Battle of North Cape campaign. After all tier 7 premium is a nice reward. But I say if you dont have those then gently caress it because grind would be soul-killing. Also New Year Raid campaign rewards are pretty much worthless so dont worry about having no time to finish it. Handful of tier 6 ships with no proper captains to use in them and grand prize of ugly camo for Scharnhorst is not something you'll regret not getting.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 15, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tathris posted:

Now I'll have to see if I can even be bothered to do the other campaign.

Second campaign has a minimum tier of 6 you can't use the pizzabote :(

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Herr Bazooka posted:

I personally went for 90k damage mission, completed it three times while spending my time in mostly ineffective ship and I still didnt make 75k exp. If you have high tier destroyer or CV you might want to try go for 90k mission to complete Battle of North Cape campaign. After all tier 7 premium is a nice reward. But I say if you dont have those then gently caress it because grind would be soul-killing. Also New Year Raid campaign rewards are pretty much worthless so dont worry about having no time to finish it. Handful of tier 6 ships with no proper captains to use in them and grand prize of ugly camo for Scharnhorst is not something you'll regret not getting.

If it's a line that you haven't started, starting at 6 is a decent time saver, especially how bad 5s matchmaking can be. I had all the lines past 6 except Pan Asian, and I was super excited to skip the tier 5 boat. Also I like port slots, premium camps, and free boats (and money for the ones I had)

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Quick fact :eng101:

I have not seen a single Prinz Eugen during ranked.

This is probably because you started at a relatively high rank. I think I began at 18 and I saw two Eugens in my first 3 games.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
I had only one ship out of five you get from New Year Raid. I wasnt against receiving those ships. Its not that the rewards are not useful but I dont know. They come with three point captains while pretty much everyone else going to have ten point captains at that point. If you dont have spare ten point captain you will be at disadvantage for a while. Also grind up to tier 6 is relatively light so I feel grind that you skip is fairly minor. Skipping some lemons is nice that true. Premium camos you get in those two campaigns are ugly imo. Anywho what I am saying that imo real prize in those two campaigns is Duke of York not Geade or New Mexico and definitely definitely not the monstrosity called Arctic camo .

EDIT: Premium camos for ships you get are very nice doe.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 15, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Is this Bismarck collection thing seriously just one weekend where you could earn like three containers and then a month of them trying to sell you the rest?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There was a whole campaign like... a year ago? This is useful for anyone who failed it by a few items, but if you are trying to complete it from nothing now it's a terrible deal.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Ah, that makes sense. I was on a break at the time and missed it so I guess my Bismarck isn't getting a fancy paintjob.

Was weirded out that the launcher keeps yelling about the campaign but no missions were showing up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tears of the Cruisers is being changed, not sure if this patch or next patch

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I'm not sure if this is just the Emerald grind thumping survival techniques into my skull but the Leander is soooo much better good grief

Though now I'm exploring the French cruiser line and the Friant is like having a Leander at tier 3 and it's some sort of unstoppable killdozer of hate and fury.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Though now I'm exploring the French cruiser line and the Friant is like having a Leander at tier 3 and it's some sort of unstoppable killdozer of hate and fury.
Yea tier 3 to 5 French cruisers are very good, you pay for it at T6 however...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Krogort posted:

Yea tier 3 to 5 French cruisers are very good, you pay for it at T6 however...

The tier 6 isn't as bad as anyone says. It isn't god-tier but it sets tons of fires and has staying power in a game if you play it smart.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

Tears of the Cruisers is being changed, not sure if this patch or next patch

That looks like a good change. Now there is actual cover for cruisers to advance on, some nice ambush spots for DDs. Still a lot of wasted space on the edges though, but that is common on their maps.

Now they just need to take a bat to Okinawa and get some cover down at C. I've only had good games on that map where I've been able to go to A and sit behind the island while shooting at BBs that are giving me a broadside while in the middle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm so so so so so loving sick of being at the mercy of 41% winrate 330 WN8 tomatoes as my top tier BBs. What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a tier 5 cruiser in a tier 7 match when my battleships just literally loving sit in the corner of a map taking 100% range potshots at enemies occasionally?

Just please implement skill based matchmaking already. I'm not great but jesus loving christ I'm from another planet than these retards.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Der Shovel posted:

I'm so so so so so loving sick of being at the mercy of 41% winrate 330 WN8 tomatoes as my top tier BBs. What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a tier 5 cruiser in a tier 7 match when my battleships just literally loving sit in the corner of a map taking 100% range potshots at enemies occasionally?

Just please implement skill based matchmaking already. I'm not great but jesus loving christ I'm from another planet than these retards.

That would be ranked mode. It’s not much better, due to people turtling up once their team starts losing to try and get top xp.

Speaking of which, I made rank 5 relatively painlessly (something like 12 straight wins since last night). How hosed am I if I try and do Tirpitz stuff since I expect the defensive play to be much, much: worse in ranks 5-1?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Velius posted:

That would be ranked mode. It’s not much better, due to people turtling up once their team starts losing to try and get top xp.

Ranked mode isn't skill-based either. People can fail their way to the top without contributing if they just play enough, and the distribution of players between teams is still random.

WG have made it clear skill-based MM is never happening, but it'd be nice if they at least tried balancing things like radar between teams.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Velius posted:

Yeah. Ranked is a lot better than random IMO, but I only have one tier 8 so it's not very useful yet -- and of course not any use for leveling ships.

E:

davejk posted:

WG have made it clear skill-based MM is never happening, but it'd be nice if they at least tried balancing things like radar between teams.

I honestly don't get why not. I mean making a good skill-based matchmaker is a lot of work, but they're loving filthy rich and have studios everywhere, they could do it if they wanted. I bet initially the WN8 terrible players would complain, but ultimately they'd have more fun playing against other teams of bad players.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 15, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Velius posted:

Speaking of which, I made rank 5 relatively painlessly (something like 12 straight wins since last night). How hosed am I if I try and do Tirpitz stuff since I expect the defensive play to be much, much: worse in ranks 5-1?

I've seen you play your Tirpitz in ranked. You should be OK, or no worse off than any other BB. The problem with the Tirpitz is mostly related to it having bad drivers that do stupid rear end poo poo, and BB ranked problems.

Utility cruisers / DDs are the way you guarantee wins in ranked.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Another map change with Trap, worth mentioning both maps will be smaller than before

and there's a unique French commander coming, Jacques-Jean Honoré, probably the reward for the equally impending new French collection, with

Expert Marksman: +3 deg/s (instead of 2.5 deg/s) to traverse speed of guns with a caliber of up to 139 mm; +1 deg/s (instead of 0.7 deg/s) to traverse speed of guns with a caliber above 139 mm.
Adrenaline Rush: -0.25% (instead of -0.2%) to reload time of all types of armament for each 1% of HP lost.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 15, 2018

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've seen you play your Tirpitz in ranked. You should be OK, or no worse off than any other BB. The problem with the Tirpitz is mostly related to it having bad drivers that do stupid rear end poo poo, and BB ranked problems.

Utility cruisers / DDs are the way you guarantee wins in ranked.

Yeah, my problem is I have an Atago, Mogami, and Hipper, plus a stock Chapayev with a couple games in it. No radar yet, and no experience with it. So it’s that or my battleships I’m very familiar with, and which I routinely get top xp in.

And I’m awful with destroyers. So until I get more Chapy time (which I’m excited about) it’s the Tirpitz.

Speaking of which, I’ve had very little luck citadeling Monarchs and Amagis with the 15” guns. NCs are no problem by comparison. Is there some difference in armor scheme which makes the German guns worse against those two?

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 15, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been playing the Fushun (tier 6 Pan-Asian DD) I got from the New Year's Raid campaign and this thing is a ton of fun. It's made of wet tissue paper but deep water torps are hilarious. I think I'll keep climbing this tree!

The tier 7 PA destroyer is pretty good, supposedly?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Amagi are really hard to citadel from close range (turtleback), and as you know Tirpitz gun suck at long range.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Der Shovel posted:

I honestly don't get why not. I mean making a good skill-based matchmaker is a lot of work, but they're loving filthy rich and have studios everywhere, they could do it if they wanted. I bet initially the WN8 terrible players would complain, but ultimately they'd have more fun playing against other teams of bad players.

The thing is, most players are trash. So right now it's mostly trash vs trash, and with skill based MM it'd still be mostly trash vs trash. A relatively small number of good players would get new fun and challenging experiences out if it while they would also lose out on dunking on tomatoes, while tomatoes don't get dunked on by good players and try spending money on "OP" ships to make up for being trash. Overall it seems like a lot of work for WG for little or even negative rewards.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Looking at the armor schemes briefly the Monarch has 356 mm belt armor which seems dramatically better than the others (it also seems to be unarmored everywhere else on superstructure. Should I be HEing the superstructure instead of trying to beat belt armor up close?). Amagi has a bulge + belt + citadel.

I guess intuitively this is the whole idea of the zones of immunity when they designed these ships, with shells bouncing off belt until close enough and not dropping at a sufficient angle to penetrate deck outside of extreme range. I’ve sorted out where to hit Alabama and NC, (which have a band of thin belt on top and a high citadel) and Tirpitz/Bismarck (which have the issue of AP shells penetrating the outer belt and detonating instead of deflecting) but Amagi and Monarch aren’t as obvious.

Someone suggested aiming for the lower barbette armor on Amagi, is that the best option even with inaccurate guns? Does the same hold true for Monarch? How does that work with hull angling, are the barbettes square or round?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Darkrenown posted:

Overall it seems like a lot of work for WG for little or even negative rewards.

Someone in here said that WG's business model depends on potatoes being able to fail their way to the top.

Sadly it's true.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sorry team, I'll do better next time I guess!

I have enough free XP to jump from my King George V or Bayern to the next tier. I briefly considered saving up for one of those 750 000 free XP tier 9 premiums but that would take forever and is probably best done when I have tier 10s, right?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Sorry team, I'll do better next time I guess!

I have enough free XP to jump from my King George V or Bayern to the next tier. I briefly considered saving up for one of those 750 000 free XP tier 9 premiums but that would take forever and is probably best done when I have tier 10s, right?

The best thing to do with free xp is not to skip ships (or get to the next tier sooner), but to buy some or all of the upgrades on a new ship so you don't have to play it stock.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The free xp premiums are best done when/if you open a bunch of free xp flags from a supercontainer.

Also the Gneisenau is divisive and most people don't like the Monarch. You should almost never use free xp to entirely skip a ship anyway. Always use it to unstock a ship instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Velius posted:

Looking at the armor schemes briefly the Monarch has 356 mm belt armor which seems dramatically better than the others (it also seems to be unarmored everywhere else on superstructure. Should I be HEing the superstructure instead of trying to beat belt armor up close?). Amagi has a bulge + belt + citadel.

I guess intuitively this is the whole idea of the zones of immunity when they designed these ships, with shells bouncing off belt until close enough and not dropping at a sufficient angle to penetrate deck outside of extreme range. I’ve sorted out where to hit Alabama and NC, (which have a band of thin belt on top and a high citadel) and Tirpitz/Bismarck (which have the issue of AP shells penetrating the outer belt and detonating instead of deflecting) but Amagi and Monarch aren’t as obvious.

Someone suggested aiming for the lower barbette armor on Amagi, is that the best option even with inaccurate guns? Does the same hold true for Monarch? How does that work with hull angling, are the barbettes square or round?

Monarch's saving grace is mostly only the bullshit idiocy of WG that gave them the underwater citadels (something that really needs to be changed). While it's outer armor seems good, most equivalent tier battleships aren't going to have much difficulty punching through at the normal angles regardless (you might gain a few extra degrees). Added to this is that Monarch has an absolutely horrible citadel design, so anything that punches through at an angle to hit the citadel will citadel you. Finally, Monarch has an incredibly long bow armor section of the standard 32mm armor, which means shots coming through the back portion of it and then down into the citadel are a real danger.

Amagi's biggest weakness is long-range plunging fire, which it does not particularly like taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Der Shovel posted:

I briefly considered saving up for one of those 750 000 free XP tier 9 premiums but that would take forever and is probably best done when I have tier 10s, right?

The 750,000 free XP ship is going away in the near-ish future, to be replaced by a 900,000+ free XP ship that probably will not be as good.